Why do people willingly allow their freedom to get taken away?

jackie 2012/05/10 01:53:10
Right.
These laws are to make our lives easier
From my time being here I read some comments of people not having a problem, with things being taken away or things you wont be able to do anymore. Because they've easily been fooled in thinking, because its for the better good. I read a few post agreeing with their tactics. Are people that really scared that they feel a need to ban or make some overstepping laws? I hear about banning bake sales, banning yummy commercials marketed to kids. Schools give the parents fear speeches about their child being in danger of obesity. To me I think its all up to the parents to teach their child not to eat so much candy. And if they really wanted their child to eat no candy at all then they wouldnt give them money. Now, as teenagers all we can do is hope that they dont eat too much, banning it from out of school isnt going to do anything if they really wanted it. Or, here's another law they passed stating that if you dont use your giftcard in a certain amount of time they can take your money. Thats right, take your money. And if you weren't using it then thats your business and your money, not theirs. Regulate this, regulate that until you find yourself like this:painted himself in corner And wonder what happened.
I think people should fight for every bit of freedom they have, not fold in or let them persuade you otherwise. Because they think you cant help yourself or make decisions for yourself. If you give the an inch and they'll take a mile.

• MJ 2012/05/10 13:32:45
    Right.
    MJ
    I agree
  • mich52 2012/05/10 03:32:29
  • jackie mich52 2012/05/10 13:15:44 (edited)
    jackie
    +1
    None yet :) but im just kind of a little iffy on some people saying they dont have a problem with it.
  • Fran-Halen mich52 2012/05/10 18:48:43
    Fran-Halen
    The Patriot Act .....read it.
  • mich52 Fran-Halen 2012/05/10 21:02:38
  • Fran-Halen mich52 2012/05/10 21:05:27
    Fran-Halen
    You'll be the type making sure the line runs smoothly.
  • abubincrazy 2012/05/10 02:21:03
    Right.
    abubincrazy
    Yuffi, you might have added a third option.
    Anyway, there are a lot of people who don't think they can get ahead in life. Government douchebags prey on these people.
    Too many parents shunt their kids off to the schools, and the schools can't be trusted any more.If our schools were actually trying to help kids any more, this would NOT be the case.
  • R. 2012/05/10 02:19:25
    These laws are to make our lives easier
    R.
    Incrementalism sometimes seem to happen overnight.
    " The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer."
    Edward R. Murrow
  • Yuffie ♫ K-POP Dance Guru 2012/05/10 02:15:46
    Right.
    Yuffie ♫ K-POP Dance Guru
    +2
    They dont know what they got till its gone.
  • Jo 2012/05/10 02:13:44
    These laws are to make our lives easier
    Jo
    if I considered what you mentioned to be the taking away of "freedom" I might feel the same way, but I dont, and I think these people that are so over preoccupied with that "dont tell me what to do" attitude are just flat out childish.
  • Z Jo 2012/05/10 07:07:54
    Z
    Why should someone miles away tell us what to do? Seriously? There is no logical reason to suspect that they know enough about my life to come close to offering helpful rules for my life.
  • Jo Z 2012/05/10 09:00:31
    Jo
    they dont have to know anything about YOUR life in order to ascertain whats good for a human being. why should someone miles away tell you what to do? first of all, how many miles away has nothing to do with it, and second, a great part of our society DOES need to be told what to do because they make it more than apparent that they dont know whats best---if everyone knew what was best, there'd be no law enforcement, no judicial system, and no child protective services.
  • Z Jo 2012/05/10 10:22:08
    Z
    The problem is, you already assume what is best. I'm not currently advocating anarchy, but I am asking why anyone else should even be able to decide what IS best for me. What if I don't care about living to be 50? What if, instead, I want to live as a hedonist, partaking in all the sex, drugs and food that I want, becoming a disgusting slob that has nothing to do with anything other than pleasure?

Or, on the other side of the spectrum, what if I want to live a life of completely asceticism? What if I want to refuse to partake in any of life's pleasures for the sake of a higher power or meaning?

If pleasure or a higher power are the way I measure value in my life, those people have no clue what is best for me. Hell, considering the fact that the average dietician knew that the previous food pyramid was terrible and incorrect, and that even the current one isn't all that correct, can you really say they know what is best for anyone? There is simply no way to justify your position, unless you just want someone else to live your life for you. Freedom is about the ability to decide your choices for yourself, to be able to live life the way you would like (as long as it doesn't interfere with other people's lives in a greater and negative way). The above definition is spot on. Yours, is tyranny at its best.
  • Jo Z 2012/05/10 15:21:36
    Jo
    if you wish to live as a hedonist, partaking in all the sex, drugs and food that you want, theres nothing stopping that. the freedom to decide your choices for yourself hasnt been removed, which is why people getting all up in arms about this crap leaves me completely non-plussed.
  • Z Jo 2012/05/10 15:48:47
    Z
    But see, that is the problem. What if I want to be rich? What if I want to have whatever I want, whether it be to help start charities or to just by selfish? The point is, it is being stopped. The types of food we are allowed to by is being regulated, because apparently we can't decide what we should eat. Lets pass a tax on sweet foods, because even though we are subsidizing sugar, increasing that tax will stop obesity. These are not policies that allow people to have freedom, but exactly the opposite.
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/10 13:13:37 (edited)
    jackie
    Its not about being childish, its about growing up or being an adult. Making your own choices. Being told what cant eat, when you cant leave your house (just an example of things they considered) IS childish. They are making these rules because they feel a need to baby adults, because they think we are too stupid to make decisions for our own selves.
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/10 15:23:49
    Jo
    you arent "being told" anything, but suggestions are being made. yes, these "rules" are being put in place because they are left with no choice but to believe that we are too stupid to make decisions for ourselves---we've proven that.
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/10 16:07:50 (edited)
    jackie
    Not being told? Have you not seen the things they passed (or read my thread). What do you mean "we've proven that"? Cause it wasnt me that proved anything, I dont believe that everything should be ruined because some idiots did it. freedome
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/10 21:24:32
    Jo
    unfortunately, there is no way to regulate those that make mistakes while not regulating those that dont. Thats just how it is.
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/10 21:30:09
    jackie
    So I dont get why make silly laws or bans
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/10 21:31:47
    Jo
    because its been shown to cause damage or harm on more than one occasion---thats why laws and bans come about.
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/10 21:55:04
    jackie
    Everything causes damage and harm. But anyway believe what you want to believe, and lets end it at that.
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/11 03:54:38
    Jo
    you can call it whatever you want, but if you honestly think that its agaisnt the law for you to walk into a restaurant and order a cheeseburger, you've got HUGE problems that need addressing:))
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/11 13:27:14
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/11 17:07:35
    Jo
    that seems to be what people are trying to say--that "freedoms" have been taken away; to which I respond with, what freedoms? everytime something else comes up that the government would like to see implemeneted, these morons start screaming like pouty brats about thier "freedoms" being taken away---I've yet to see any "freedom" taken away. Implementing a new policy is NOT the same thing as removing "freedom", but these Godforsaken psychotic Obama bashers? If he ran into a burning building and saved a toddler from imminent death, they'd respond with how wrong it was for him to do so. The have to something to bitch about, so when he suggests offering healthier food choices on menus (without removing anything), as an example, they throw fits. Its disturbing how pathetic it is--and these people are actually supposed "adults".
  • jackie Jo 2012/05/11 17:19:30
    jackie
    But anyway believe what you want to believe, and lets end it at that.
  • Jo jackie 2012/05/12 06:17:28
    Jo
    Like I said, feel free to refer to it however you wish
  • Tink123 2012/05/10 02:05:13
    Right.
    Tink123
    +2
    They usually don't realize it's happening until it's already too late. Humans are easily manipulated and will often give up their rights voluntarily provided they believe they've a "choice" in the matter. Even if the choice is illusory and completely artificial.
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/05/10 01:57:39
    Right.
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +3
    so very true ;)

2014/10/21 13:39:44