Why do people get Crazy around the holidays?

Will Advocate of PHAET 2010/11/26 18:40:27
Woman arrested for gun threat in shopping line, police say

State Journal staff madison.com | Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 6:04 am

A 21-year-old Middleton woman was arrested Thursday night when she threatened other shoppers while waiting in line at the Toys R Us store, 7309 West Towne Way, which opened for Black Friday shopping at 10 p.m., Madison police reported.

Several hundred shoppers were in line just after 10 p.m., when the woman attempted to move to the front of the line, police said. When she was confronted by other shoppers, she made threats to retrieve a gun and shoot the shoppers.

No gun was found, and the woman, who was not named, was arrested and taken to the Dane County Jail on a tentative charge of disorderly conduct.

"She's now spending her shopping money to post bond," said Madison Police Sgt. Erik Fuhremann.

• strawberry 2010/11/27 23:30:18
    strawberry
    +2
    The media brainwashes people about big sale days such as "Black Friday." They wait on long lines, tired and grouchy to buy junk. Holiday hype is so out of hand.
    +1
    too much drinking
  • Lily Blooms Eternal 2010/11/26 23:27:53
    Lily Blooms Eternal
    +2
    Something about the added energy of the season brings out the latent thug in some people.
  • enlightened one 2010/11/26 22:51:04
    enlightened one
    +3
    The holidays are a deep-set American tradition and many feel anxious or depressed because they think that these days are magical. When a miracle doesn't happen then their expectations are unfulfilled. If the individual involved is expected to provide for the family they get overwhelmed. Overwhelmed people can do crazy things. Theft is up this time of year because of the very same fact. I am the breadwinner and I actually just make enough to pay my bills. That in itself is all the blessings I need right now.
  • elijah 2010/11/26 21:57:03
    elijah
    +3
    LIQUOR
  • In vino veritas 2010/11/26 21:16:49
    In vino veritas
    +3
    She was probably a spoiled Lib who refused to accept no for an answer. spoiled lib refused accept answer crying baby
  • Captain Kirk~POTL 2010/11/26 21:13:55
    Captain Kirk~POTL
    +4
    The holidays bring out all the whack jobs so it stands to reason there will be insane incidents like this happening!!
  • strawberry Captain... 2010/11/27 23:33:34
    strawberry
    +2
    It is even worse in a bad economy when people have little money to spend during holidays, some otherwise honest will resort to shop lifting.
  • Captain... strawberry 2010/11/28 00:58:24
    Captain Kirk~POTL
    +2
    Agreed!!
  • Holliegirl11 2010/11/26 20:56:29
    Holliegirl11
    +2
    Pressure to spend money they don't have
  • ThomasSnouffer 2010/11/26 20:50:02
    ThomasSnouffer
    +1
    Stress! I SAID STRESS G*******D IT!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. A lot of it is, indeed, stress, but there are other factors.

This summer, I had to have my Father put in an Alzheimer's-secured nursing facility. I've already gotten past the "This is the first Thanksgiving without 'Dad'" aspect, but there's still Christmas, News Years, Easter, etc. It sucks!

I also am VERY sick of the September announcement that "Retailers expect this Holiday season to be the (adjective goes here) in five (or six, ten, twenty, or FIFTY) years!"

Also get REALLY tired of hearing every year how "Between 95 and 99% of ALL retail business FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR occurs within (days, hours, minutes goe here) of Christmas." Check it out; I'm Agnostic and I have MORE "respect" for the TRUE meaning of Christmas than MOST retailers! Our economy--right now--sucks (unless you're one of the well-paid government-subsidized " economists who "ended" the recession in June of 2009!). If you're an unemployed parent, the incessantly proffered "If you LOVE some one you will buy them...." KOAN must be a TAD depressing, dontcha think?

Let's see; what else. Oh yeah. The appearance--two days subsequent HALLOWEEN--of Santa AND his reindeer encouraging us to BUY BUY BUY! And that EVER-present newspaper/TV news f...

Stress! I SAID STRESS G*******D IT!

Let's see; what else. Oh yeah. The appearance--two days subsequent HALLOWEEN--of Santa AND his reindeer encouraging us to BUY BUY BUY! And that EVER-present newspaper/TV news feature that occurs EVERY just after Thanksgiving every year about how to keep the retailers/credit card card companies/banks from "taking advantage of" (that's what us old people call SCREWING) you.

The only thing that DOESN'T particularly bother me IS people who "....move to the front of the line....", such as the woman in the news item. AS*****S are NOT "seasonal".

DESPITE all this, my change goes in the nearest Salvation Army kettle, I have been known to donate to the Santa for Seniors AND "Angel-tree" gift funds, and I'm usually not any MORE of a grouchy old fart than I am the rest of the year! Happy Christmas!
  • belle 2010/11/26 20:37:45
    belle
    +3
    Just show how stupid people can be at times. Crazy for a good deal will get you in trouble everytime. LOL
  • strawberry belle 2010/11/27 23:34:57
    strawberry
    +2
    Sometimes it is not even a good deal.
  • belle strawberry 2010/11/27 23:36:25
    belle
    +1
    right, if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably isn't.
  • Loreli 2010/11/26 19:42:30
    Loreli
    +3
    Because they have forgotten or never learned the reason for the season.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2010/11/26 18:41:13
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +4
    Must be the EGGNOG!

eggnog eggnog
  • In vino... Will Ad... 2010/11/26 22:54:06
    In vino veritas
    +1
    Or perhaps lack thereof............ prohibition

2014/10/25 14:39:41