Why do New Yorkers act like savages?

Ozymandias 2012/12/30 23:29:52
I lived there for two years, so I know what I'm talking about. There have been two separate instances where people have been pushed onto the subway platforms deliberately and killed by New Yorkers. Both of them were foreigners.

I've also heard horror stories about knifings and stampedes at Walmart and other stores on Black Friday. One woman even had a miscarriage. When I went to school there, most of the kids were assholes as were a large chunk of the adults there.

If it weren't for my experience, I wouldn't be so turned off by those accents. Whenever I hear a New Yorker talk, it immediately reminds me of those mobsters played by Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro say, "Eh! What dah fwuck ah yous fwuckin' lookin' at?"

Don't give me some bullshit excuse about how it's expensive and a high-stress area, either. I've been to Tokyo five times. It's more crowded than Manhattan and more expensive. Japanese people live stressful lives, too. The average commute there daily isn't one hour but two hours.

The Japanese also work long hours. In fact, it's frowned upon in their culture for folks to take off work even when their kids are sick. But the Japanese didn't act like sharks in a feeding frenzy every time I got on the subway or went shopping. They're not loud and noisy like a bunch of peacocks, either. As a white boy with blond hair and blue eyes I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I didn't have to watch my ass around them.

So someone again tell me why New Yorkers act like barbarians. Since they're all so damn smart and sophisticated in the Big Apple and the rest of us around the nation are all a bunch of Neanderthals with room temperature IQ's, I figure some hot shot New Yorker must have enough brain cells to give a legitimate answer without beating around the bush.

• ..::localeye::.. 2012/12/30 23:50:20 (edited)
    ..::localeye::..
    +3
    I lived in NYC (Brooklyn Heights to be exact) and went to a tech school in Manhattan. I thought it was an amazing city with great people. I knew no one. Zero so I joined a softball team in Red Hook that was all local latinos (and most of the league was as well). I'm a white guy from Philadelphia. They were awesome and I never once had any issues. Expensive city overall but I would go back in a heartbeat if my wife was into it. She worked in NYC for almost 8 years doing makeup and doesn't miss it.

Random acts of violence happen everywhere. Your not going to like everywhere you live but to say they are all savages is a little ignorant.

• Bibliophilic 2013/02/05 05:22:07 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    There are bad people everywhere. There are some people here in the south that I wouldn't mind sending to the moon. However, the cause of this behavior is related to the bystander effect. The more people that stand and watch-- the less likely a victim is to receive help. Many people in big cities also tune out the world in order to avoid sensory overload.

Also, if there were subways nationwide the same thing would likely happen. In China and Japan people are trampled to death on the subway and its very common for men to grope and sexually harass women. There are sick people and violent people everywhere. Eastern cultural norms differ in many ways from our own, some of these good and others much less so.

Northerners tend to find southern accents stupid and annoying.
  • Ozymandias Bibliop... 2013/02/05 19:48:52
    Ozymandias
    Your point is duly noted. I never said Asian cultures were perfect, and you are right about sexual harassment. However, in general they have more respect and manners than we do. Like you said, it's a different culture. Some Southern accents can be annoying, but there are just as many Northern accents that sound equally stupid and annoying. The English accent is the one I like the most. Only the Brits can butcher the English language and use bad grammar and syntax and still make it sound great with Cockney, but that's just my humble opinion.
  • santa6642 2013/01/03 21:26:48
    santa6642
    +1
    That's ny.
  • Ozymandias santa6642 2013/01/04 02:00:16
    Ozymandias
    It is indeed.
  • Michael McFascist 2013/01/01 23:01:01
    Michael McFascist
    +1
    Honestly, I find them to be friendly but maybe a bit forward (i.e. loud obnoxious abrasive etc.) it's a friendly abrasive I guess is what I'm saying...my only complaint is that many of them seem to believe that their city/state is the end all, be all, of existence...this alone, occasionally makes me want to wipe it off of the map.

I'll admit though, I've only lived there for a few months collectively.
  • Ozymandias Michael... 2013/01/01 23:45:18
    Ozymandias
    Well that's why I say the sun has far more of an impact on our livelihood than New York can and ever will.
  • Fariborz-Zak 2013/01/01 07:53:36
    Fariborz-Zak
    +1
    that is New York
  • Ozymandias Faribor... 2013/01/01 22:45:17
    Ozymandias
    No reason?
  • Kozmo 2012/12/31 17:27:50 (edited)
    Kozmo
    +2
    Is it safe to assume when you mentioned 'room temperature IQ' you meant Celsius?

68°F = 20°C

Also, you're doing a disservice to Neanderthals, they had larger brains than us,

New YUCH!ers are more like chimpanzees.
  • Ozymandias Kozmo 2013/01/01 00:04:48
    Ozymandias
    +1
    Well New Yorkers certainly seem to think they're smarter than everyone else.
    ..::localeye::..
    +3

• Ozymandias ..::loc... 2013/01/01 00:05:08
    Ozymandias
    That they do, but they occur more in some locales than they do in others.
  • disclaimer 2012/12/30 23:35:25
    disclaimer
    +3
    New Yorkers are not savages. They're just aggressive. Throw up in the middle of Grand Central Station and you'll have ten people running over to get you some water, cover it with paper towels, find a maintenance person, and call for medical assistance. Think how many people ride the subways every day. It's amazing only two people have been pushed. The thing about Manhattan is it's a very industrial city and everyone has their own agenda, so if you don't need help of any kind then you won't get it. Black Friday everywhere is awful.
  • Ozymandias disclaimer 2013/01/01 00:05:28
    Ozymandias
    More people ride the subways on Tokyo, and they don't behave that way there.
  • disclaimer Ozymandias 2013/01/02 06:19:07
    disclaimer
    +2
    Japanese people are politer in general. But just because a culture is more polite and reserved than another doesn't mean New Yorkers are savages, because that's unfair to them and simply not true.
  • Ozymandias disclaimer 2013/01/02 06:58:00
    Ozymandias
    Well they're very nasty and belligerent a lot of them.
  • disclaimer Ozymandias 2013/01/02 07:03:51
    disclaimer
    +1
    So are a lot of people in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston....and any major city in the US.
  • Ozymandias disclaimer 2013/01/02 23:33:45
    Ozymandias
    Absolutely! But some behave savagely more in some locales than others.
  • Bibliop... Ozymandias 2013/02/05 05:26:31
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    People behave that way on busses as well. That's why I have no problem paying extra to own a car! I agree that Americans in general are loud and inconsiderate, but we're not all that way.
  • Ozymandias Bibliop... 2013/02/05 19:49:25
    Ozymandias
    You won't hear any argument from me about the bus. That's why I'm glad I drive the car, too.

2014/04/23 17:17:06