Why do conservatives think they are smarter than liberals even though liberals are proven to be smarter time and time again?

American☆Atheist 2012/05/03 18:53:44

• Heffeweizen 2012/05/05 09:25:00
    conservatives are smarter even thought science disproves this time and time a...
    Heffeweizen
    +21
    Please don't confuse education with intelligence. Often it takes a degree to break something and a GED to fix it. I have noticed that those who squeal about how dumb conservatives are, have never worked outside of the media, politics or academia. 57 States, right?

• Dave littleb... 2012/05/08 05:31:19
    Dave
    Yeah - you did need them. Geez! How old are you? Have you ever read any history?

What are you talking about? How'd we switch to Johnson and the Vietnam War?
  • littleb... Dave 2012/05/08 07:08:47
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    You brought up Reagan! Does not matter how old I am! You brought up FDR! President Johnsons about smack dab in the middle and was a Democrat!

Your the one siting the "history" then cannot keep up when someone calls you out on it!

Have a nice day!
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/05 04:22:11
    Dave
    That was crazy talk in the last response
  • Dave sinners... 2012/05/05 04:21:15
    Dave
    +2
    He isn't defending corporations - he's defending stock holders, which takes us back to his response to Wilde. Employees are being screwed over because corporations report to not employees, not customers, but to stock holders.
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 20:38:13
    sinnersaint
    +2
    I will need better examples of trickle down economics working in order to argue that with because by my estimation history has shown that CEO's pays have gone up in levels not consistent with the pay of average workers so money is not being pumped into the economy nor has it shown to have happened historically. If I'm wrong I'll admit but you need to provide an valid argument on that. I am pro small business being married to a small business owner, but comparing the two is apples to oranges.
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/04 21:06:00
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Sure they have but the CEOs are voted in by the Shareholder who approve their comnpensation. Many corporations have a large percentages of those shares held by their employees.

You realize many made a lot of money the other day when PF Changs bought back their shares and went private? Ant employees who held shares had a very good day!
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 21:12:00
    sinnersaint
    +1
    that is an example we should all expect from all corporations finally a point we can agree on. I hope you expect the bar to be set that high for all companies.

Both good examples but it's fair to say that not all companies act in the same manner, they are accountable to their employees and if they get federal tax credits then they are also accountable to all of us as taxpayers. We should all expect it that it is what American Exceptionalism is all about
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/04 23:28:15 (edited)
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Who gets a "Federal Tax Credit"? And citizens who made a profit on the shares sold back will pay a tax on that profit! It's called Capital Gains!

There is not one thing wrong with taking a legal tax credit! You need to talk to Congress about that! Any CEO who is responsible has a CAO who's job i9t is to take them as that is being responsible not only to the shareholders but also the employees!
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 23:32:04
    sinnersaint
    +1
    agreed but that makes them accountable to the taxpayer that is all I was going with there. This is the problem with this exchange I'm trying here but I don't think we are reading each very well so I'm heading out I mean even when we are saying the same thing the takeaway is totally different. So thanks it's been fun
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/05 00:02:45
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Ok..enjoy! One point is they are taxpayors taking perfectly legal deductions and if they do so within that then they have been accountable to the taxpayer! Most have an independent auditor check it and the IRS may invite themselves in at anytime.
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/05 04:33:14
    Dave
    +1
    Shareholders huh? So is that where the problem lies? CEOs earned 343 times more than typical employees in 2011 - that's three years after the collapse. When the Almighty Reagan took office in 1980 CEOs were paid 42 times that of the average employee.
  • Dave sinners... 2012/05/05 04:31:25
    Dave
    +1
    We've seen what thirty plus years of "Trickle down" economics have done. Even Alan Greenspan had to apologize in front of congress.

And you aren't wrong - In 2011 CEOs earn 343 times more than typical employees. When the Almighty Reagan took office in 1980 CEOs were paid 42 times that of the average employee.
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/05 04:18:24
    Dave
    +1
    You are talking in terms of the stock market. These aren't jobs and none of these people are "job creators".
  • littleb... Dave 2012/05/05 05:49:04
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    You seem unaware that in many corporations large blocks of stock are held by it's employees!

Stock is the means by which employment is achieved as it provides the money for the company to expand. This in fact does create jobs!
  • Dave sinners... 2012/05/05 04:16:03
    Dave
    Excellent!
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/04 18:02:37
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    WOW... Maybe you said it in your head and forgot to type it but you never said you were against it....
  • littleb... Wilde~M... 2012/05/04 20:48:57
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    I clearly gave you an example! This is what happened when Carl Ichan bought controlling share in TWA. The retired Pilots and many still working immediately took him to court had their plan fully funded and broke away and created their own retirement system. The ones that decided to stay with Ichans got royally screwed! I intimately know this as my Pop was a TWA retired Pilot at that time. and my Brother and I share an investment account now based on good decisions based on employees that cared enough about what they had put in! Lucky US!

Of course robbing employees retirements is a crime. But being employed and vesting your future in that also requires knowing the score and acting!

I saw an interview once of a widow of an Enron Employee. Had a nice life going. She lost everything! Her condo, traveling money everything! Criminal as what Enron did she freely admitted she was a complete fool to leave everything they had in Enron! And that had she been wiser she would have divested and re-invested over a broader range. I fely very bad but very impressed that she was intelligent enough to realize.

Of course people have the right to protest in the streets! I think it's silly because in the end it's a worthless gesture. The PEOPLE need to realize that voting for the one Oprah thinks ...

Of course people have the right to protest in the streets! I think it's silly because in the end it's a worthless gesture. The PEOPLE need to realize that voting for the one Oprah thinks is cute won't get it done! Lol....you think the Greeks, Portuguese, Spanish and Irish are happy with who they voted for just now?

You know who is VERY smart? The Japanese! Right before the terrible disaster they voted out their government. Why? To much debt! The PEOPLE need to VOTE for real leaders not bought off Stooges!

Shareholders often a large % of which are the employees need to actually look at what is going on and vote accordingly.

When Chrysler was in trouble and Lee Iacocca came in and the union balked he showed them the books and appointed two of their members to the BofD. When they saw he was being honest they supported him and it was a success story!

x
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/04 21:58:36
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Oh.. god..
    Those are excuses... No matter what the employees did right or wrong the companies didn't have the right. My point in asking you in the first place was to point out that the wealthy are taking from 'others' NOT the other way around..

Its fine you think its silly to protest in the streets..Don't protest
    I think its silly other people believe its their business what the lady 'across the street' does with her uterus.. SO I don't concern myself with it.
    People didn't vote for the POTUS because Oprah thought he was cute...
    People were sick of the republican party and his opponent was the best the party could come up with... No thanks!!
  • littleb... Wilde~M... 2012/05/04 22:21:24
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Last time I did not vote for either of them! As of right now look at the polls.....many are fed up with the Dems!

"Excuses"? WTF? I showed three (one is in a post to Sinners) where two groups of employees took action with positive results! Then one where a woman said she should have known better!

I'm protesting now! You're not listening any more so than the fools on the streets with the Che Guevara/Cuban Flag T-shirts! Tell you one thing I definitely know! There are no Unions or shareholders in Cuba or the former Soviet Union! Nope NO stock shares an employee can buy good or bad!
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/05 01:50:44
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Yes excuses...
    You said 'Of course robbing employees retirements is a crime' and you even said 'intelligent' employees took action.
    I didn't ask you if you thought it was a crime and I didn't ask you about the intelligence of the employee's. I just asked if YOU thought it was wrong, that's all.
  • littleb... Wilde~M... 2012/05/05 01:57:55
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    And you have yet to answer my question above!

I see you can't except another opinion and some insight as to how it was arrived at. But YOU'RE opinion counts for everything!!!

Sure....you were not trying to be rude!

pee wee herman winking
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/05 02:19:39
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    wow...
    I'm perfectly fine with opinions that differ from mine.
    Unlike some people I prefer a world of diversity...

I was being honest and it might have come off as rude but I wasn't being insulting...

If I were trying to insult you I would have said:

No, Liberals don't want all of the conservatives so-called 'wealth'. Conservatism is rotting what's left of that far right lunatic brain of yours. Now thats insulting...
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/05 04:15:20
    Dave
    Wilde is right about not answering the question. the comments in the last posting have never been mentioned in any of the interaction between teh two of you. So let's say you might have defended this point on some other poll.

You made a better attempt in the last posting to respond to Wilde - though kind'a weak. "...,intelligent employees have taken legal action an (sic) won cases against such doings!" Your answer is that employees should take employees to court? You just explained why Unions are important to the Middle class.
  • littleb... Dave 2012/05/05 05:58:42
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Well dave how nice of you to stop by and give a critique! But maybe you should try a Business 101 class as you are woefully unaware of how corporations work!

Are you aware you can incorporate your family? I am!

Once again many corporations have as stockholders their employees. A very famous example were the few thousand Microsoft emplyees the day it went public!
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/06 19:05:34
    Dave
    +1
    The stock market or holders do not create jobs. Geez! Why don't you link me to the chapter that I so woefully missed. Go ahead and incorporate your family. lol I'm sick of hearing how great corporations are. lol

"Corporations are people too" - go ahead and vote for Romney let's see how fast he can bring us to the next collapse.
  • littleb... Dave 2012/05/07 04:43:09
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    My Family is incorporated.l...it's called a Living Trust!

Ah but you seem fine with the government stealing....Lol....Your a product of the Lame Stream Media...No more!
  • Dave littleb... 2012/05/05 04:05:07 (edited)
    Dave
    +1
    Protesting in the streets is silly? See the1960s. lol

Aaaaahhhh - voting isn't valid anymore since "Corporations are people".

Stock portfolio - nice touch
  • littleb... Dave 2012/05/05 06:00:51
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Yup.....silly then silly now!

Then don't vote! You might be better off?

Yes Dave a stock portfolio....as I refuse to be a Knob!
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 17:26:30
    sinnersaint
    +4
    the study was actually conducted and posted in a medical journal initially, it does state the differences between conservatives and liberals is the way we process information, liberals tend to accept change and process a given situation more quickly whereas conservatives tend not to be open to change and do not process it as quickly. You can infer what you would like that to mean, but take a look around I think based on the comments on SH it is pretty obvious,

Yes HuffPo republished the study (along with other news outlets and blogs) but they didn't make it up it was a real scientific study done by real qualified people
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/04 20:53:04
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Really? Well then why are Liberal Socialists having such a hard time with the new realities in Spain, Portugal, Greece and Ireland?

Lol..."Process info more quickly"? Please name me the great list of Liberal Fighter Pilots and Astronauts that back-up your claim?
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 20:57:26
    sinnersaint
    +2
    I didn't conduct the study you can read it yourself. And just an FYI the austerity measures taken in those aforementioned countries were instituted by the conservative governments which is why I keep wondering why the GOP keeps pushing the same measures here which in practice other places not working. And liberal socialism is working peaches in Germany the mix between the private and public policies works aces.
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/04 21:32:53
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Please name ONE of those governments that is "Conservative"?

The measures are taken because when a government says it will be all thing to all people it fails at being able to afford such!

Sure and a more conservative approach works very well in Japan! All there have healthcare that is 5% lower as a % of GDP and they have a life expectancy over 4 years higher than ours. Taiwan is another example of much the same. Everyone of those countries has a higher % of GDP based on manufacturing than the US! Most more than 3 times. All of them freakout when unemployment exceeds 4%.

South Korea is booming! Why? Because they make things! And everyone of those countries except Taiwan has manufacturing facilities here employing Americans to make things. Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Doosan Infracore, KIA, Hyundai....etc.

We may need to get back into manufacturing instead of having to many psychologists and social workers?
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 22:58:59
    sinnersaint
    I agree about manufacturing but with technology moving so rapidly and streamlined it takes fewer workers to do the jobs. I wrote a paper once about butchers and how that was a great job in 1950s you could retire and live a middle class life, once it went automated being a butcher changed and now by and large it is not a skilled job anymore.

I really am an optimist so I'll concede that not all corporations are like ENRON I work for a great company.

Now I don't put myself out there as a foreign policy expert but as I understand it Britain PM is more in line with a hard line conservative and austerity measures have not fixed their economy.
  • littleb... sinners... 2012/05/04 23:15:44 (edited)
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    I sell modern manufacturing equipment. As we speak skilled workers are needed! Sure there is more automation. But the machines do not program and set themselves up for the next set of different parts to be made on it. Machines break there is a need in skilled mechanics to fix them. These are good paying jobs starting at over $50k a year. A 5-Axis machine tool programmer makes over $80k many over 100k.

Now three years . And your government has not put in place any significant training program to address this! Nada Zip! But Nancy Pelosi made sure that in the Stimulus Package" $175 million was need for Family Planning!

You need to be very wary of Politicians on both sides! During the State of the Union Steven Jobs (A great man no doubt!) wife was seated in the gallery one seat over from the 1st Lady. The President goes on to applaud (as he should) what Jobs had achieved. He went on to say how wonderful it is that 50k Americans are employed by Apple. Then very conveniently left out that in China there are over 1/2 a million employed making ipads, phones and computers! Very sly!

Is Jobs smart in doing that? You bet! there are 1.3 billion Chinese. Only 320 million Americans. Now where do you think Apple is going to grow more?
  • sinners... littleb... 2012/05/04 20:58:51 (edited)
    sinnersaint
    +1
    and those are are the only positions you consider out of all the jobs in the world? Because I'll have to do some more research I don't like to bs my way through an answer. But the greatest people in this country do their jobs and don't have to bring their political ideology up because it doesn't matter they are remarkable on their own merits
  • Wilde~M... sinners... 2012/05/04 21:59:05 (edited)
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    don't bother.. there's no point.
  • littleb... Wilde~M... 2012/05/04 23:19:37
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Really now? Do me a favor and STFUp! Sinner and I are having an intelligent polite debate! Something you should become more adept at! At the end of the day you have yet to thrill me with your acumen!
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/05 01:31:23
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    I have no interest in thrilling you, I'd get more results from my living room chair..
  • littleb... Wilde~M... 2012/05/04 23:22:14
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    Really....why don't you show me where Barack Obama has put in place ANY worthwhile program to train skilled workers for modern manufacturing? Just one!
  • Wilde~M... littleb... 2012/05/05 01:34:08
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Yea.. we're done! You're constant need for name calling is tedious.
    Its as if I'm dealing with a child...

2014/12/18 15:25:05