Why Do Conservatives Defend Liberal Juan Williams after NPR?

Fef 2010/10/24 01:50:45
Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
Conservatives Don't Like NPR
Juan Williams Isn't Liberal
Let's Blame George W. Bush
Conservatives have come out in droves to defend Liberal commentator and journalist, Juan Williams after NPR fired him. NPR fired Juan Williams after he honestly explained his fear of flying with people “in Muslim garb” who are “identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims.”

• technotrucker 2010/10/24 02:22:29
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    technotrucker
    +58
    I will tell you why. Conservatives are tired of all the politically correct crap in this country!
    You are censored for calling a homosexual a fag, when they use the term freely. You are told that being against illegals aliens is racism, BS! You are told if you are against govt. corruption then you are a domestic terrorist, big time BS! If you are against the murder of unborn children then you are a Right Wing Nut Job, while the progressives are against the death penalty for murderers and rapists! Hyphenating your national origin with American? More BS! You are either one or the other. This country is a melding pot. That means when you become a citizen you are an American. You leave your origin out, not your pride in who you are or where you came from. But America comes first, not as an after thought!
    It is high time that all politically correct govt. censorship is tossed out the window and put God and the Constitution back in their rightful place. Don't like it, don't care.

Seek the truth, or remain a victim.
    peace

• The Govenor 2010/10/27 20:29:19
  • big lou from peru 2010/10/27 14:29:39
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    big lou from peru
    +1
    free speech isn't only for the scum bag press or blues media
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2010/10/26 21:34:27
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    It was an honest opinion shared by many.
  • VICTORIA moorrbr... 2010/10/26 22:09:53
    VICTORIA
    Yes, but Williams is an analyst. It is not his job to give his personal opinions.
    Especially when that opinion has,at it's base- a prejudiced core that assumes all Muslims are implicit in 911 because of their faith.
  • Kronan_1 2010/10/26 21:20:20
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    Kronan_1
    Liberals demand free speech for everyone but,do their best to stifle it when it doesn't suit their agenda. Even to the point of eating their own. Sounds Stalinist to me.
  • Judy 2010/10/26 18:42:13
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    Judy
    I have been listening to Juan for years. A lot of times I don't agree with him but he is truthful and sometimes makes good points. It how they did it and for the reason they did that has everyone ticked off. Juan is a really nice man and I have always liked him. He is a victim of liberal intolerance as usual.
  • Diamond Girl 2010/10/26 14:31:58 (edited)
  • fake_wa... Diamond... 2010/10/26 14:49:28
    fake_watches
    +6
    I disagree with juan about 60% of the time, however freedom of speech is much more important. Most likely the entire country would agree on that. http://theinternetbiz.com
  • Oltom 2010/10/26 07:26:02 (edited)
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    Oltom
    +1
    Because even though Mr.Williams is wrong 98 % of the time,he is one of the few liberals who actually makes sense the other 2% of the time!
  • Judy Oltom 2010/10/26 18:43:18
    Judy
    He isn't wrong 98% of the time, it's just you don't agree with him.
  • Oltom Judy 2010/10/27 02:25:20
    Oltom
    +1
    You got me there!
    How is this I believe that he is wrong 98% of the time?
  • Judy Oltom 2010/10/27 18:05:39
    Judy
    So is that called a compromise if I say OK? That sounds ok, "I believe" will work.
  • VICTORIA 2010/10/26 06:47:45
    Juan Williams Isn't Liberal
    VICTORIA
    +5
    Juan WIlliams is, ostensibly, an analyst.

Compared to the far right pundits on Fox- he can seem Progressive- but he's not a true Progressive- but more moderate.

As an analyst for NPR- he has agreed to a certain level of ethics which they uphold for their journalists.

Williams statement, while not overly offensive- still- was based on the bigoted view that all Muslims are complicit in 911- and indicts all Muslims with his given opinion-

It's okay to have opinion, unenlightened as they may be- but his job- is to analyze- not opine.
    He stepped beyond the parameters of his job description, and the limits of prejudice free analysis he was employed to give.

The freedom we enjoy- including speech- glues our society together with a strong sense of justice.

The personal fears he expressed, while understandable to others who share his bias or fear- is an unjust condemnation of an entire group of people.

If anyone can think of any other analysts on NPR who have made similar remarks, (bias against a whole group of people) and remained employed-
    there might be the beginning of a case for some hypocrisy.

I can think of none- and believe NPR has been very consistent in the high standards they have set, and Juan failed to live up to.

Fox won't make those ethical distin...

Fox won't make those ethical distinctions between analysis and opinion- so he fits in well there.

The very sad thing is though- that nowhere did I see Juan show any regret for his unfortunate remarks-
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/26 18:45:19
    Judy
    Excuse me," the far right pundits on Fox"? Them there are fight'n words. Fox is not far right. Why do people keep saying that? You make it sound like we are crazy nut cases when in fact we are holding the same values and standards as the founding fathers. That makes me wonder if you are an elitist, arrogant leftest?
  • Kronan_1 Judy 2010/10/26 21:21:46
    Kronan_1
    +1
    She say's these thing because she is a brainwashed parrot.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/26 22:05:41
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Your aggressively phrased over reaction, to one single word, and readiness to start yelling insults-
    only magnifies your clear inability to rebut or even understand what I analyzed.

Thank you for that.
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/26 22:27:57
    Judy
    Victoria, I am not picking a fight yet but I do have some questions. First, what is the single word? I asked you to explain ," the far right pundits on Fox"? So how is that over reacting? Unless you said that simply to start war, I don't understand why you make comments like that. What do you gain?

Second, yelling insults? Where was the insult? Saying them there are fight'n words? And how does what I said take a leap into being threatened by ideas? It appears that to me that you are not interested in anything but setting a trap and hope a Conservative will grab it so you can go on the attack.

I won't give you the pleasure if that is your goal. Hey, i can hold my own if that's what you want but I WON'T PARTICIPATE. The goal is to cause contention, which is obviously what you want to unless you have something nice to say, I'm done talking to you.
  • A Carpe... Judy 2010/10/26 23:49:18
    A Carpenter
    did victoria block you yet? she has a habit of doing that when confronted with truth logic and cold hard facts.
    She refused me a couple of time when i asked her to explain why Islam specifically calls for the death of Jews.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/27 08:00:19
    VICTORIA
    +1
    " First, what is the single word?"
    1) Far.

" Second, yelling insults? Where was the insult? "
    2) "That makes me wonder if you are an elitist, arrogant leftest?"

Don't attempt to blame me because you cannot rebut my comments intelligently.

Nothing in this senseless exchange has given me any pleasure, and I'd prefer no further interaction, unless it is guided by reason.
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/27 18:09:11
    Judy
    Dear, this is not about blame and never was. You are the one looking for trouble. "Them there are fight'n words" is a gentle way of saying I don't agree. It didn't mean I was going to take you out behind the shed and beat the crap out of you. So why the nasty attitude? I think you want a fight and I fell into the trap, so I am taking myself out. It's obvious what you want and I won't play the game.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/27 19:48:40
    VICTORIA
    +1
    No dear, it's not. It's about political analysis.
    If you are unable to address my salient points- and choose to make it a personal fight- I cannot help that- all I can do is stick to reason.

...

• Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/27 19:58:35
    Judy
    I am not playing girl. I'm not going to respond to this stuff bec you want to fight. I'm done.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/27 20:32:50
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Well, you approached me.

So your accusation hardly makes sense.

What I was hoping for was an intelligent response addressing my post.

If you're not up to it, no problem.
    But I don';t know why you ever approached me to begin with.

Nor why you keep calling attention to the fact that you can't dispute one single point.

You seem to have come to a battle of wits unarmed.
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/28 04:47:48
    Judy
    Victoria, can we call it a truce. I am tired of arguing. I want to reach common ground and understanding each other, Can you do that?
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/28 07:36:05
    VICTORIA
    +1
    I don't even know why you ever approached me.
    I've given my answer as to why I think Conservatives are defending Williams.

I understand that instead of rebutting the points I made, you chose to react emotionally and levy odd accusations as to my motives.

I like to discuss ideas- I have many conservative friends here on SH- but we're friends because we speak to each others ideas, and with mutual respect- refrain from casting personal aspersions.

It's a concept.
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/28 10:05:13
    Judy
    Can we leave it as is and not get into this any more. I am tired of arguing and I don't like to argue. I think we are both overly sensitive and reading into things. If not, then I say truce OK?
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/29 04:47:14
    VICTORIA
    Well, I didn't insult or attack you dear.
    I don't think I was oversensitive, nor read into anything.
    I'm not arguing, I'm still waiting for the debate.

Sure, I have no problem with truces, but there was never a battle.

I have to be honest, you approached me pretty aggressively- as well as raved this, which is the same as saying it- in your first interaction with me-

" She say's these thing because she is a brainwashed parrot."

So it's fine to want peace now- I never wanted anything else.

However, it is better to acknowledge that I directly answered your questions, as well as the undeserved insults levied.

I don't expect it though.
  • Judy VICTORIA 2010/10/29 11:43:40
    Judy
    girl, we are going around in circles, Why can't you just let it go and have a truce? I don't want to argue but you keep coming back this way. It has to stop or I will have to block you. I don't want to do that. I enjoy interactions with other who think different from me but you appear to be one of those who just want to fight and that's not me. Stop it NOW.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/30 03:58:05
    VICTORIA
    Like I said, I didn't expect it.
    Why do you keep bringing me in here?
    To threaten to block me?

For what? Please stop posting this off topic personal nonsense.
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/26 22:06:45
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Are you really so very easily threatened by ideas Judy?
  • VICTORIA Judy 2010/10/27 09:10:05
    VICTORIA
    +1
    I just don't understand what you found combative about my analysis.
    I really think you didn't read it.
  • ptete i... VICTORIA 2010/10/29 02:31:23
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +1
    You hit that right on the money! Well said.
  • VICTORIA ptete i... 2010/10/29 04:40:02
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Aw, gee. :)
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2010/10/26 01:33:50
    Conservatives Don't Like NPR
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    Nope!,it's Fixx news or nothing! I apologize for the generalization!
  • Zozo 2010/10/26 00:50:04
  • dlsofsetx 2010/10/26 00:43:06
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    I don't like political correctness,that's why he was fired.
  • Judy dlsofsetx 2010/10/26 18:46:20
    Judy
    +1
    Political correctness means that the left cannot handle reality. It's so sad.
  • psychobabe 2010/10/26 00:00:45 (edited)
  • VoteOut 2010/10/25 23:47:45
    Conservatives Believe in Free Speech
    VoteOut
    +1
    Why should they not?
  • 5/21/2011A.D. 2010/10/25 23:08:37
    Let's Blame George W. Bush
    5/21/2011A.D.
    +1
    why not- it really shows common sense and free speech together

2014/10/25 09:46:32