Why Dems oppose voter ID laws

Southern Man 2012/08/07 12:34:02
It's the only way they can win
It's the only way WE can win
Cause 0bama is Scared
Mitt is just that Good
I don't like your choices ...

Several
states are already tied up in a legal and political battle, concerning
voter ID laws. Obviously, those who oppose the laws are usually of the
liberal persuasion, and those who support the laws are usually of the
conservative persuasion. However, the curious part about the opposition
to the voter ID laws is that they require the voter to prove that they
are who they say they are, that they are in fact citizens of the US and a resident of the state, and that they are tax-paying, contributing members in society …how is this a bad thing?

The Wall Street Journal reports on the raging war concerning this issue:

Commonwealth
Court Judge Robert Simpson has said he plans to issue a ruling the week
of Aug. 13 on the constitutionality of the law, one of numerous such
measures enacted across the country over the past two years as
Republican lawmakers have sought to crack down on what they say is
widespread voter fraud.

Democrats
say the laws, which often require photo identification, are designed to
deter voting by poor people and others who are more likely to support
Democratic candidates. Lawyers for both sides presented closing
arguments Thursday at the court in Harrisburg, Pa.”

In
essence, the Democrats are tooting the horn of ‘oh, ye art oppressing
the downtrodden masses!’ …as if we haven’t heard this sad bell toll
before. Essentially, liberal politicians are worried that they might
lose a massive chunk of their voter base. When I say ‘massive chunk’, I
mean voters that number roughly a million. The report states:

Several
groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the League of
Women Voters, say the law violates the state’s constitution and are
seeking a preliminary injunction to prevent it from taking effect. These
groups say the law could prevent more than a million voters from
casting ballots on Election Day.”

However, who
exactly are these ‘million voters’ that were once using the honor system
to vote, and now, because they are required to show who they really
are, they cannot vote? …Interesting. This is quite thought provoking
for the simple fact that some studies are giving different numbers:

The
Justice Department also asked for documentation to support Gov.
Corbett’s statement in March that “99 percent of Pennsylvania’s eligible
voters already have acceptable photo ID.” During lawmakers’ early
debates about the proposed legislation, the state initially estimated
only 89,000 people were without approved IDs.”

Why
the inconsistency in information? It seems that most voters can use
alternate forms of ID, which is how the lawmakers arrived at that
statistic. I would have to say, the disconnect in info between both
sides may rest on a single fact. The millions that the liberals were
talking about aren’t actually citizens in the first place, while the conservatives could only find 89,000 folks who actually are citizens, and yet, don’t have IDs. Again, how is poverty going to keep an individual from getting a valid photo ID?

The
liberal argument is quite easy to see through. They want illegal
aliens to have the power to vote, and voter ID laws will effectively
stop them in their tracks (well, most of them anyway). Conservatives
know this, liberals know this, so in essence, the question really comes
down to …should illegals be allowed to vote?

Obviously, the answer
is, not a snowball’s chance. Why should ‘We the People’ allow folks to
vote who aren’t even technically bound by U.S. law? Legal U.S.
citizens are subject to the rule and law of the government, so likewise,
we all have a responsibility to take part in that government. Illegal
aliens are not subject to US law, and should not be
allowed to take part in governance, as they sooner face deportation
rather than prison in the event that they commit a felony. They reside
here, using U.S. roads, U.S. emergency services, U.S. law enforcement,
and the U.S. free market system, all under the supposition that the U.S.
owes them a place and they owe no allegiance to the U.S.. Showing
allegiance, means abiding by the rule of U.S. law.

If illegal
immigrants would like to vote, then perhaps they should go through the
proper steps to become a legal citizen …then they may vote to their
heart’s content …with their legally obtained photo IDs.

Read More: http://www.ijreview.com/2012/08/12308-why-dems-opp...

• Kookieless The Sexy Nihilis... 2012/11/11 23:31:50
  • SIMPATTYCO 2012/11/11 19:00:46
    I don't like your choices ...
    SIMPATTYCO
    the states in question were all swing states you can't cheat if you have to show a photo but then if the machines are fixed as suspected it doesn't make much difference,does it
  • Lordphoton999 *AFCL* 2012/11/11 18:46:52
    It's the only way they can win
    Lordphoton999 *AFCL*
    +1
    It is common sense but Democratic party are known to lack of.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/11/11 18:33:58
    It's the only way they can win
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Fraud is the only way they can win. Even Mexico requires a federal voter ID card. We don't even need that just a freaking driver license or state ID and they claim they don't even have that. I have a 96 year old mother in law that has a state ID. I call BS. It's simply so they can cheat. If they wanted to go buy a beer or cash a check they'd show ID.
  • Bryn 2012/11/10 03:39:05
    It's the only way they can win
    Bryn
  • Flamingolady 2012/09/26 02:54:27
    It's the only way they can win
    Flamingolady
    +2
    And ironically, to get into the DNC, one had to have a photo ID. List of places Photo ID is needed
  • texasred 2012/08/18 21:33:48
    Cause 0bama is Scared
    texasred
    +2
    I would have said it's the only way they can win, but we all know they've still got other forms of voter fraud, e.g absentee ballots (http://www.breitbart.com/Big... as well as voter intimidation.
  • PDenoli 2012/08/15 21:31:12
    Mitt is just that Good
    PDenoli
    +4
    They claim that voter ID laws "unfairly" target: The Young, Minorities, The Old, The Homeless.

In the course of my life, I've known one young person who didn't have an ID... out of tens of thousands. I've known *no* minorities without an ID, (and that includes dozens or hundreds of illegals that I've known). Homeless folks... they might have a point there. And old people? It's possible.

So let's say that old people and homeless are the only groups that are likely to have no identification in numbers that are large enough to count. Who do old people vote for? More often than not, they vote conservative. I'm not talking about this guy or that gal... As a group, those are republican voters. Homeless.... I don't know. Let's say they vote for democrats? I don't have numbers on this but for argument's sake lets say they do.

Are there more old people or homeless? Obama's working pretty hard at increasing the ranks of the homeless, but at current count there are 56 million elderly and only 700 thousand homeless. So why would democrats be so adamant about protecting what would primarily be republican votes?

Because it's not about real people, it's about FAKE people. Unions, primarily, but also certain "undocumented workers" groups and democratic boosters routinely and ...

Because it's not about real people, it's about FAKE people. Unions, primarily, but also certain "undocumented workers" groups and democratic boosters routinely and actively run efforts to deliver fake votes.

What's a fake vote?

Small potatoes:
    The most obvious sort of fake vote is where you use stolen or borrowed identity information to cast a ballot in the name of someone who doesn't live in a particular state (nobody checks) or someone who is dead (they occasionally check)... but the less obvious is where the "vote by mail" effort really pays off for democrats.

Also small potatoes:
    The stolen-identity route can be perpetrated by citizens and illegals alike. Certainly, any illegal who can pretend to be a citizen and vote... that's a fake. They don't even need a bogus name, just the willingness to pretend to be a citizen. Hey, I said they have identification, I didn't say they would want to use it. If they can pass themselves off as citizens, viola! Fake vote.

BIG potatoes:
    When you go to a polling station, a person has to walk in, stand in line, vote, and not return so many times that the election workers recognize them. But when you fill out vote-by-mail paperwork on behalf of people who are in the hospice, loners, or simply without their knowledge... one person can vote for hundreds or thousands of people.

Medium potatoes:
    Oh, and unions LOOOOVE vote by mail. They wouldn't be allowed to follow people into the polling booths, but they can sit across the table from you and make sure you fill it out properly. No muss no fuss.

In conclusion, this is why they resist voter ID laws. The biggest payoff for the fraudulent votes is the "early voting" and "vote-by-mail" and "motor-voter" games. We need to crack down on these the hardest.
  • PDenoli PDenoli 2012/09/06 19:24:36
    It's the only way they can win
    +4
    That's the only reason that makes any sense. Indiana has the strictest voter ID law in the country. It had it in 2008. Obama still carried the State. Of course, he probably won't carry the State this time, if recent referenda are any indicator...
  • TheTruth1313 2012/08/14 06:50:36
    It's the only way they can win
    TheTruth1313
    +5
    They oppose voter ID so that Odumba can count on the illegal vote and can also count on having the dead vote for his useless ass.
    It's the only way they can win
    +5
    Voters beware and report any irregularities.
  • Concern... Ken 2012/08/15 09:09:45 (edited)
    Concerned Voter
    +1
    better yet, do a prestrike. If you had read my posts on this poll, you may have noticed that I had posted about finding my dead father and one brother of mine who is dead* on the voter's rolls years after their deaths. I suggest to collect the names of dead relatives, thier birthdates, their date of deaths, and the addresses of where they have lived and contact the local election boards, county clerks and the Republican party** and check to see if their names are on the voter rolls and get them removed before election day. THe reason I said to get the birthdays, addresses and their date of death, is :
    1) to make sure that the name you report is your dead relative and not someone who is still alive with the same name. More than one person can have the same name.
    and
    2) the more information you can provide, the easier the person your are reporting to can find your dead relative on the rolls
    and
    3) the harder you make it for that same person to lie if he is dishonest and is trying to participate in voter fraud too

ANd of course have a recording devise active and recording to document your attempt to find out if the name of your dead relative is still on the voters rolls.

*I have two brothers and the other brother is still alive.
    ** The Republican Party does indeed take legal action to remove the names of dead people off of the Voter's rolls when notified of their presence.
  • Ken Concern... 2012/08/15 15:58:15
    +2
    I hadn't read your post, but I will.
  • Mr Chin 2012/08/14 03:32:04
    It's the only way they can win
    Mr Chin
    +4
    They want the fraud and voter intimidation.
  • Mel 2012/08/13 06:20:37
    I don't like your choices ...
    Mel
    +1
    There hasn't been enough documented evidence of mass fraud, otherwise I'd have no problem with it.
  • Mr Chin Mel 2012/08/14 03:38:34
    Mr Chin
    +4
    Try thousands in a single area. Check out the video above.
  • Mel Mr Chin 2012/08/14 04:02:27
    Mel
    +1
    I have friends who work for the League of Women Voters they provide stats on this, and so far none of the States has shown voter fraud in numbers that make any difference or notice. Lou Dobbs is not a credible source.
  • Mr Chin Mel 2012/08/14 04:28:56
    Mr Chin
    +4
    The woman who was interviewed was the source,. and the facts are the facts,. not who delivers them. But whatever.
  • Mel Mr Chin 2012/08/14 20:48:00
    Mel
    The official states stats don't even show it. I've checked.
  • Souther... Mel 2012/08/14 15:11:32
    Southern Man
    +3
    There is so much proof ... Just do your Homework you will see
  • Mel Souther... 2012/08/14 20:48:34
    Mel
    +1
    I have and from unbiased sources. Not Fox News.
  • ★Calliope★ Souther... 2012/08/15 00:32:41
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    Save yourself. Some of these folks are just full of crap.
  • Souther... ★Calliope★ 2012/08/15 13:02:11
    Southern Man
    +3
    Your right ..
  • The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA 2012/08/09 03:33:04
    It's the only way they can win
    The Birdman ~ PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Lie, cheat, cover-up, intimidate, shift blame, twist truth, it all seems to be the first things they teach the LIBTURD CORRUPT-O-CRATS on how to play politics!
    corrupt o crats
  • rightside 2012/08/08 21:34:11
    It's the only way they can win
    rightside
    +4
    Funny that if you want to get into the DiMocratic national convention, you have to show ID!!!! What's with that?
    Just another excuse for voter fraud.
    cartoon   skeleton vote democrat I don t always vote  but when I do
  • Vision of Verve 2012/08/08 21:16:02
  • keeper 2012/08/08 21:13:55
    It's the only way they can win
    keeper
    +7
    But I also liked the obama scared choice..
  • Souther... keeper 2012/08/09 01:45:20
    Southern Man
    +5
    And it's fitting as well
  • Proggy 2012/08/08 19:30:32
    I don't like your choices ...
    Proggy
    +1
    Please name a single case of voter fraud where someone tried to vote saying there were someone they were not, prosecuted in any of the states where republican governors have tried to install their voter suppression laws. JUST 1!

Republicans need a stacked deck! They can't win with high turnout.
  • Concern... Proggy 2012/08/08 21:32:17 (edited)
    Concerned Voter
    +4
    "Please name a single case of voter fraud where someone tried to vote saying there were someone they were not" Just 1? You did say that.
    Alexander County. Illinois. the town had only 7100 legal citiziens of the United states and Illinois over the age of 18 and thus eligible to vote, but somehow, in the 2010 election the county had, according to the state election board, over " 7,859 registered and active voters". That just happens to be 759 voters more than the actual number of voters the U.S. Census Bureau was in the county. "only about 7,100 residents in the county who were over the age of 18." http://thesouthern.com/commun... But somehow, those msystery voters did manage to vote in the 2010 election to give the county to Democrat Pat Quinn in his election as governor of Illinois.
    In case you don't know how Illinois politics works, The democratic party has Chicago so sown up that that Cook county, the county that Chicago is in, is constantly handed over to the Democrats. and any Democrat running for Governor only needs a handful of other counties to win. Out of 102 counties in Illinois, quin only won four counties. But still more people voted in that county than there was legal citizens over the age of 18 in that county. Alexander County is right now purging it voter's rol...

In case you don't know how Illinois politics works, The democratic party has Chicago so sown up that that Cook county, the county that Chicago is in, is constantly handed over to the Democrats. and any Democrat running for Governor only needs a handful of other counties to win. Out of 102 counties in Illinois, quin only won four counties. But still more people voted in that county than there was legal citizens over the age of 18 in that county. Alexander County is right now purging it voter's rolls in order to get rid of these fraudulant voter regisitrations and mystery voters.
    And that is not the first there was a voter fraud scandel in that county.

But you wanted one with convictions, you got one. The city of East St. louis is in the state of Illinois. I hope you just love reading about this one because it blows your crap right out the window. the Democrats had to buy votes?????? they couldn't trust the Illinois Democratic machine to get elected?

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/i...
    ==2005==
    East St. Louis On March 22, 2005, four Democrat activists in East St. Louis pleaded guilty to paying voters $5 to $10 to vote for the “Democratic ticket” in the November 2004 election. Those pleading guilty included three precinct committeemen and one precinct worker. According to the Belleville News-Democrat, the money used to buy votes came from the St. Clair County Democratic Central Committee, which paid $73,326 to East St. Louis Democratic precinct committeemen days before the election.
    A federal jury convicted the Democrat Party chairman and four others of scheming to buy votes with cash, cigarettes and liquor in November 2004 to elect key Democrats.

Convicted:

Charles Powell, Jr., East St. Louis Democrat Party Chairman
    Kelvin Ellis, East St. Louis former director of regulatory affairs
    Sheila Thomas, East St. Louis Democrat precinct committeeman
    Jesse Lewis, East St. Louis Democrat precinct committeeman
    Yvette Johnson, East St. Louis City Hall worker[3]

The fallowing are copies of Associated press reports on this particular trial

Federal Jury Convicts Five People in Federal Vote Fraud Trial in East St. Louis, Ill.
    The Associated Press
    Published: Jun 29, 2005

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) - A federal jury Wednesday convicted the chairman of the city's Democratic Party and four others of scheming to buy votes with cash, cigarettes and liquor last November.

Prosecutors relied largely on secretly recorded audiotapes in which they say the accused could be heard talking about paying $5 per vote to get key Democrats elected.

Charles Powell Jr., 61, the city's Democratic Party chairman, was found guilty along with the city's former director of regulatory affairs and three others."

"http://www.nnnforum.com/foru...
    Federal jury convicts five people in federal vote fraud trial View

06:14 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 29, 2005

By JIM SUHR, Associated Press Writer

Watch News 4 coverage

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) -- A federal jury Wednesday convicted the head of this city's Democratic Party and four others of scheming to buy votes with cash, cigarettes and liquor last November to try to get key Democrats elected.

Charles Powell Jr.,

Jurors in the monthlong trial deliberated more than five hours before convicting local Democratic Party chairman Charles Powell Jr., 61, and Kelvin Ellis, 55, the city's former director of regulatory affairs, of felony conspiracy to commit vote fraud. Also convicted were Democratic precinct committee members Sheila Thomas, 31, and Jesse Lewis, 56, and City Hall worker Yvette Johnson, 46.

Ellis, Thomas, Lewis and Johnson also were convicted of one count apiece of election fraud for allegedly paying at least one person to vote -- or offering to do so. Powell was never charged with that count.

Jurors set aside defense claims that the government's case was flimsy because of unreliable witnesses whose testimony often contradicted each other and, at times, was recanted.

"I respect the jury, but I am disappointed," Ellis' attorney, John O'Gara, said after the verdicts. He said the defense would consider asking for a new trial.

A date for sentencing was not immediately set.

"We'll take it one step at a time in terms of where we go from here," said Johnson's attorney, Pearson Bush, who declined to elaborate.

Messages left with attorneys for Powell and Thomas were not immediately returned. Voicemail for Lewis' attorney was full.

Kelvin Ellis

Prosecutors provided little evidence directly linking the defendants to the alleged vote-buying, often relying on secretly recorded audiotapes in which they say those accused could be heard talking about paying $5 per vote in the Nov. 2 election -- and whether that amount would be enough.

A federal prosecutor in the case referred calls to his boss, U.S. Attorney Ron Tenpas, who did not immediately return messages left at his office.

Prosecutors alleged that money flowed from the Belleville-based St. Clair County Democrats to their East St. Louis counterparts in a bid to elect certain Democratic candidates, including Mark Kern as St. Clair County Board chairman.

Kern, who narrowly won the race, has denied the allegations and has not been charged with any wrongdoing.

Powell lost his re-election bid to the City Council in April after his arrest.

State records showed that tens of thousands of dollars were transferred from the county Democrats to the committeemen days before the Nov. 2 election. Party leaders said it was for legitimate expenses, including rides to the polls for people without cars.

Defense attorneys called the audiotapes -- the cornerstone of the government's case -- meaningless entrapments by opportunistic informants intent on seizing power for themselves. Defense attorneys called the prosecution's key witnesses liars.

"I would say jurors looked at these tapes and listened to them, and I'm guessing they are using the interpretations these very faulty witnesses gave them to reach their conclusion," O'Gara said after the verdicts. "I would not have trusted the government's presentation."

In March, three precinct committeemen and a precinct worker each pleaded guilty to a related count of vote buying. They are awaiting sentencing. "
    ( the link posted on the page was this http://www.kmov.com/topstorie... but it doesn't work when I had tried it.)
  • Proggy Concern... 2012/08/08 21:51:20
  • Concern... Proggy 2012/08/08 23:59:15 (edited)
    Concerned Voter
    +3
    LOL, you try to compare a Publicly recorded campaign stunt of him giving out a freebie while saying "Please vote for me" to a case where democrats were caught on tape secretly offering to pay people $5, or to buy them cigarettes or liquor in exchange for voting for a democrat first before receiving the payment/reward!!! Nice try but that crap won't fly. The East St.Louis/St Clair county scandal was pavement upon services rendered hence the contract in that deal was to specifically pay someone for their votes in which the specifics of the deal was expressly agreed upon by the parties involved beforehand prior to voting and rewards after voting -- hence illegal buying of votes and it was done on election day. This video of yours doesn't show Romney making that type of oral contract at all. There was no agreement of the sandwiches in exchange for their for votes. People could take the sandwich and promise to vote for Romney and then walk out the door and do the opposite, No type of contract or agreement of a transaction was made between Romney and those people at all. Nice try but learn something of the law before you try to play games.

Also, there is no such thing as a law called "The Black Letter Law" as you had tried to make it look like in order to fool the gullible who don...

Also, there is no such thing as a law called "The Black Letter Law" as you had tried to make it look like in order to fool the gullible who don't know any better. Black letter law, the concept and adjective or pronoun , not as a law as you had tried to paint it, is an adjective or pronoun for a type of generally known laws written so expressly, clearly and in detail that there leaves very little doubt or disputes to it's meaning or purpose. Such as "President Obama is ignoring congressional on illegal immigration enforcement BLACK LETTER LAWS."

As for you saying buying votes is not the same as voter fraud. You must have rocks in your head because in the eyes of the law the two are the same especially in severity, along with voter intimidation because all three seek the same goal - to illegally influence the out come of an election through criminal means such as harrasment, fruad, theft or illegal bribes, in order to elect one member of an election over another. Voter fraud and illegally buying votes are equal in thier criminal intent. ACORN didn't flood the individual state election boards with hundred of thousands of fraudulant voter registration forms just for fun. They did it with the intent to overwhelm the election boards with so many fake registrations that the election boards couldn't possibly catch all of them. Thus the ones that did slip through, ACORN and the democrats had the expressed intent to use them. Nobody goes through the criminal act of filing a fake voter registation for fun. It is done for a reason. It is done so the fake registration can be used. ACORN has been caught filing fake voter registrations and the Democrats where caught illegally buying votes.
  • Concern... Proggy 2012/08/09 00:15:17 (edited)
    Concerned Voter
    +4
    P.S. I have noticed you had completely side step the issue of Alexander County when they found evidence of voter fraud on the voter rolls and election returns. I guess you couldn't think of an answer for that. So are you pretending you did see that?
  • ★Calliope★ Concern... 2012/08/15 00:34:13
  • Concern... ★Calliope★ 2012/08/15 07:23:58
    Concerned Voter
    +4
    Thanks for confirming Sowers but I have already listed him elsewhere in my arguments against Proggy.
  • ★Calliope★ Concern... 2012/08/15 16:53:09
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    Yes, I saw that after I'd posted the link :P

Thanks for educating folks so well. It's refreshing to see someone counter the lies of the progressives.
  • Concern... ★Calliope★ 2012/08/15 19:26:55
    Concerned Voter
    +3
    It isn't hard to do when you hit them in the face with major things like facts and the truth. Epecially when some one posts a stupid dare that is just asking to be smacked arround.
  • ★Calliope★ Concern... 2012/08/16 03:13:37
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    Agreed!

And you do it with style and panache!
  • Loree Concern... 2012/08/10 02:18:45
    Loree
    +5
    Excellent post!

2014/09/03 05:22:06