Why Can't Liberals and Conservatives Shut Their Mouths?

Katherine the Renaissance Woman 2012/05/09 04:25:34
Oh my gosh, you are absolutely right. Political affiliations don't define an entire person.
Oh my gosh, I am so closed-minded and I disagree with you because my affiliation is still the best.
I am so sick and tired of different groups of people claiming that they have higher moral ground than others do based on politics. You're not cool. You're not smarter than everyone else. You look like a moron.

"Conservatism is a mental illness, but can it be treated?"
"
Do you repeatedly use the Word D_ _ chebag and think of your self as an intelligent person? (and then have answer choices as: "No, I think I have a higher intellect then most liberals." and "I can't help it, Im liberal".

Do not sit here and try to tell me one side is worse than the other, because these two examples are just from today. I'm sick and tired of hearing polls like "Oh my god, Racism is ALL OBAMA'S FAULT. Obama is trying to KEEP RACISM AROUND for his political agenda." Or "Aren't Conservatives Just Pussies Who Don't Realize that the WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND THEM Anymore?" Conservatives suck. Liberals suck. Conservatives are rad. Liberals are rad.

Are you people stupid? Do you really think that a person's political affiliation really makes them a good or a bad person? Do you really think that just because a person is Liberal or Conservative that their IQ must be lower than your party's choice because you're so much damn experienced and refined than everyone else is? Do you really think that your political party has all of the answers? Because I'll tell you what:

Obama has done a shitty job at his job.
Bush did a shitty job at his job.

I do not CARE who did WORSE of a job. The fact is, both Presidents (have) failed to satisfy the general, overall public. So Conservatives, laugh all you want at "Obama's incompetence and his "ghetto mentality", and Liberals, continue to point out how Bush was a moron who didn't know his ass from his mouth. Neither one of your party's leaders has done an overall satisfactory job.

I don't care if a person is a Conservative or a Liberal. If I think a person has something respectable to say, I will listen to them. If I think this person is talented in some form of the arts, I'm going to appreciate them and their talents they have. I look at a person based on their morals and integrity and despite what many of you...INDIVIDUALS (and ooo, I wish I could put another word here) believe, a person's moral integrity is not defined by who they vote for. I don't care if you're a Liberal or a Conservative. I look for things I have in common with people. I look at how a person treats another human being. That has nothing to do with their political affiliations.

Sure, I may get along better with those whom I agree with politically, but I have plenty of friends who do not share the same priorities and political ideals as I do. And I am okay with this. Trust me, I dislike a LOT of people who share similar ideologies as I do. Does this make me a hypocrite? NO. It does not. Why? Because I pay attention to how a person carries themselves, whether or not a person strives to become a better human being, a better addition to society. I do not think your different opinion is wrong--unless your opinion is backed up by faulty logic (and POLITICS is FULL OF IT. It's called rhetoric and logical fallacies). Or if your opinion is backed up by facts that have been disproved, I will not take your opinion into consideration until you have an educated opinion.

An educated opinion does not necessarily mean that it has to reflect my own opinion. An educated opinion means that you've lived, you've experienced, and you've actually done research. You've actually taken the time to look at any and all modes of bias to get the full story and idea. An educated opinion means that someone isn't closed minded. And most of you people on this website. Are. Closed-Minded.

Your opinion cannot be "right". It is an opinion. You may have facts that support your opinion,
but that still does not mean your opinion is a fact (ergo, right). You have facts that support your opinion. Think of it as an hypothesis. You can have facts to back it up, but it is your personal opinion that makes you incapable of being right or wrong.

Political affiliations have become a medium for stereotyping. And stereotyping, children, is in fact, not morally right. It wrongly puts an entire group or populace into a very strict set of parameters that does not have to define them. But you people take it upon yourselves to say that this is true. "Oh, you're a Liberal. You're brainwashed anyway, so you have no idea what you're talking about." Are you kidding? "Oh, you're a Conservative. You've grown up with an easy and privileged life and don't understand what it really means to work for your money because you're spoiled and bigoted." Are you kidding? Statements like these do not help anyone.

Please, Sodahead users. Get out of my face. Liberals and Conservatives are all people too. Suck it up. Shake hands. Disagree. But do not question the moral integrity, the intellectual ability, or the "any other factor that has nothing to do with political ideals only characteristic" of your opposing party member. You don't look right. You don't look cool. You look like an asshat. You look condescending, and you look disagreeable.

EDIT:
Because some of you believe me to be un-American and wishing to repress the rights of the American people, let me clarify. My "Why Can't Liberals and Conservatives Shut Their Mouths" question was not meant to be translated as: "Can I Make the People Silence Themselves" I have read the Constitution and the Amendments and I occasionally look them over to re-familiarize myself with it. My point in asking this was not to suggest that I wish to take away anyone's Freedom of Speech. My point was to get people to realize the idiotic things they say when they base their opinions about someone solely upon the fact that they belong to this or that political party. If people want to talk with their foot in their mouths and look ignorant by saying "Oh, you're a Liberal, you're a dunce and a twat", then do it. My point in writing this was to POINT OUT this problem, that people are so ignorant in their thought processes that they make statements such as these. Who does this? Truly.

• Shawna 2012/05/09 04:32:56
    Oh my gosh, you are absolutely right. Political affiliations don't define an ...
    Shawna
    +16
    I'm exhausted after reading that. You must be very exhausted after writing it. Great rant. Best rant I've read all day.

• will 2012/06/14 23:21:58
    Oh my gosh, I am so closed-minded and I disagree with you because my affiliat...
    will
    because i have an opinion
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/06/04 16:48:26
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    Hee, hee, hee... Just kidding. You have nailed it on the head. I don't understand why anyone would join a site like SH and then not listen to what others are saying. It's not about agreeing it's about understanding.
  • Katheri... Chris- ... 2012/06/04 16:49:14
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Thank you. Lol <3
  • Ben 2012/05/24 18:19:49
    Ben
    +1
    Its all one, big distraction.
  • JDLogan 2012/05/18 01:07:30
    JDLogan
    +3
    And for those that insist that everyone "must choose a side, we can only have two parties and the must be Democrats and Republicans" I say this; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. The American voters have been doing the same thing for over a hundred years and have gotten the same result for a hundred years. We have a mess, and the "Big 2" are EQUALLY to blame. Government gets bigger and bigger, takes more and more of our money and freedom, and gives precious little in return.

Everybody in the United States needs to do themselves, their children and their fellow citizens a favor and vote for something else, ANYTHING else, just no more Democrats and no more Republicans.

democrat republican dumb
  • DDD 2012/05/16 07:59:59
    DDD
    Wow, It is so great and refreshing to finally find someone who's opinion is so valuable and God-Like that she-he-or-it can tell the rest of us to just "Shut Up".

However, having searched your tirade, oh Great One, I find no positive statements, no plan to get our problems solved, nothing other than bashing everyone else. So much for your 'Justice'... but when does your 'Grace' and 'Mercy' descend upon us poor mortals?
  • Katheri... DDD 2012/05/16 15:08:52
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Did I claim to be holier than thou? No. Don't make me seem that way.
  • DDD Katheri... 2012/05/19 22:03:30
    DDD
    When you tell 90% of the population (just those with strong political opinions, mind you) to "Shut Up", them I must assume that you think of yourself as our mother (or should I capitalize that to GREAT MOTHER)... or at least you must be the Empress, Katherine the GREAT.

You didn't propose anything new in your tirade, nothing was offered to settle the differences in the issues expressed here, just that our opinions on either side should be kept to ourselves.

If you had indicated that you considered yourself a mere mortal, then I could have just stated the obvious, something like "If you don't like the heat, get out of the Kitchen" (Translated that means, "Don't hover over us Mom", or "Go Blog outdoors."). But, then I realized that in your Omniscience and Ever-Present condition, you cannot do that, can you, we can't "get out of your face" if your face is omnipresent.

"Holier than thou"?? You made yourself "seem that way", I just stated the obvious.

However, now that you propose the possibility that you are mortal, consider this: Perhaps you come here for the same reason the rest of us do... The Entertainment !! As they say in the media, "if it bleeds it leads".... you just don't want to admit that you love all the carnage... as long as it isn't yours.
  • Katheri... DDD 2012/05/20 04:03:36
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    ""Why Can't Liberals and Conservatives Shut Their Mouths" question was not meant to be translated as: "Can I Make the People Silence Themselves""

Actually, I DID offer a solution--to treat people who have opposing opinions with respect.

"I look for things I have in common with people. I look at how a person treats another human being" <---That's a solution. I DON'T JUDGE A PERSON ENTIRELY on the factor of their POLITICAL AFFILIATION.

That's what I was saying. That's all. You read what you want to read because you're insulted. Too bad. I know what I wrote, and I know what I meant to write, and I know that my words reflected exactly what I meant to write. It's not my fault if you're insulted--and it's definitely not my problem if you over-analyze or read it wrong.
  • Ben DDD 2012/05/24 18:22:08
    Ben
    +1
    You are one angry daisy!
  • jimreardon DDD 2012/05/25 03:50:15 (edited)
    jimreardon
    +1
    DDD It really sounds like you are irrationally hostile. Did you even understand what he wrote? Did you take the time to read it? If so why did you pick the wrong checkmark? It's actually a good question and it's not singling anyone out in particular. I am sure everyone thinks about it once in awhile and maybe it helps them cope with all of the turmoil happening right now. Why are you so belligerent?
  • Katheri... jimreardon 2012/05/25 12:03:27
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    I'm a she. ;)
  • Tarheel 2012/05/13 15:02:38
    Tarheel
    +2
    I agree with you. It's somewhat humorous (and I think your argument was very well crafted) that it makes me think of why students sometime struggle with the "fact vs. opinion" concept. lol
  • Uranos7 2012/05/11 08:45:08 (edited)
    Uranos7
    +2
    i agree and it is not just liberals vs conservatives it is athiest vs christians and christians vs athiest and muslims as well. I being none of the above but believing in freedom of religion tend to defend whichever is under attack. I always get labeled as the one I am defending. (lol)

There are a couple of these that although I disagree with them I go into there threads for the chalenge and enjoy the debate.(whom I give the respect of worthy adversaries)

There are a couple of others who do not acknowledge the refutiation of thier information and are like debating Charile Sheen on crack. (these do not get my respect)
  • Andalard 2012/05/11 01:19:09
    Andalard
    +3
    What we see here are people blindly voting party instead of voting on person. I think everyone should have to run as an independent with the absolving of all political parties.
  • BigFig#9 2012/05/10 22:29:50
    BigFig#9
    +2
    There are a lot of reasoned, reasoning and reasonable conservatives and liberals out there - it's just sometimes all the screaming that gets noticed and raved. Nobody needs to shut their moths, they just need to stop yelling and speak no more than they listen.
  • John BNO 2012/05/10 19:40:42
    John BNO
    +3
    Katherine, You knew how this was going to turn out, I'm sure. What I dislike more that people aimlessly calling each others names is the "block" feature. When someone shows their stupidity in a debate, everyone can read it and decide for themselves how stupid and lame that person is, but when a poster ( like jr or howler) get to completely cut your opinion out of the conversation, that's totally hypocritical.
  • Katheri... John BNO 2012/05/10 23:20:09
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Yeah. I know. Especially when they make a ludicrous or even insulting statement right before they block you.
  • paul 2012/05/10 19:16:18 (edited)
    paul
    +2
    Katherine. you quoted one of my blogs, I’m flattered.
    Just to give you the reason why I posted that is that I was getting tired of reading the SodaHead Blogs in the political section and seeing,
    "Douchebag of the week"
    "Douchebag of the month"
    "Rave this if you think someone is a douchebag"
    So, with that I posted one of my own blogs.
    The person that was posting most the "douchebag" blogs was an extreme liberal.
    Don't get me wrong, I’m not a Conservative out of the 1930's who is speaking out aganced foul language but I do find that today's Liberals are nasty, childish and petty minded. That is just my opinion
    Americans in general are not going to keep their mouths shut.
    Americans are proud to have big mouths because of their First Amendment Rights.
    Americans are considered to be obnoxious in others country's where people do not have this freedom.
    First Amendment rights are to be exercised with in civil means. Meaning that the two boundarys on our first Amendment rights are, that one should never make a threat, and that one can be brought up on charges for slander. With that I'd have to say that our law is well balanced.
    I do not believe that Americans political views revolve entirely around morals alone. There are other factors people take into consideration when i...
    "Douchebag of the week"
    "Douchebag of the month"
    I do not believe that Americans political views revolve entirely around morals alone. There are other factors people take into consideration when it comes to politics like, common sense, economics, goods and services, the Constitution, States rights, Government spending. the environment, the individual who is running and so on.
    But I hope you do realize that in many country's people are not allowed to do what you and I are doing RIGHT NOW.
  • Gunner 2012/05/10 18:08:08
    Gunner
    So, you're a member of the Apathy Party? Unable or unwilling to take a stand or position on any issue. A complainer. And, one who believes that she is the only moral person on the planet. And, everyone else should shut his/her mouth. Your party's symbol: a Lamb.
  • Katheri... Gunner 2012/05/10 18:16:34
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +4
    Did I say that? No, don't put words in my mouth. I've been told I'm one of the most compassionate people my friends know.
  • Gunner Katheri... 2012/05/10 18:18:24
    Gunner
    Bahhhh...bahhhh
  • Katheri... Gunner 2012/05/10 18:22:21
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +4
    Please. Take your insults somewhere else. You obviously missed the point of my rant.
  • Calm down! 2012/05/10 18:03:20
    Calm down!
    +3
    It really sucks that we are so divided with all of these diferent groups, parties, and labels we put on each other. There should be one group "Americans".
  • Blunder... Calm down! 2012/05/10 19:23:13
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    +3
    Thank you! I agree!
  • Lagdh 2012/05/10 17:01:52
    Lagdh
    +2
    I don't agree with some of the bashing below as I side with Liberalism, but I just don't like the categorization people get from These two seemingly "dirty" words. A Lot of my friends that side with conservatism, I actually have very nice discussions with, not bringing in our own theories, but more addressing the problem and/or what could potentially happen. It's actually quite enjoyable.
  • Jenna Smith 2012/05/10 16:42:57
    Jenna Smith
    +1
    hypocritical optitions but i have always had a bitter hatred of political parties as they are hypocrites
  • mich52 2012/05/10 14:14:02
  • Smokey 2012/05/10 14:02:37
    Smokey
    +3
    Thank goodness, finally someone that gets it! :)
  • Hawkeye 2012/05/10 12:12:31
    Hawkeye
    +4
    I can certainly understand where you're coming from.. Your frustrations and the effects of constantly being exposed to politics upon politics and the divisive nature of the issues..

And it's impossible to get completely away from it.. Once upon a time it was said that if you didn't want to get into a nasty fight,, stay AWAY from the subjects of religion and Politics..

That was a very popular saying at a time when you actually had a CHOICE in the matter..

Such is certainly NOT the case today.. Politics has invaded every aspect of YOUR life and lifestyle.. Everything you eat,, drink,, drive,, how you light your house,, what you watch on TV,, How you sleep and how you go about your daily life and how your kids are raised and what they're taught have ALL become political issues these days and you just can't seem to get away from it.. You can't run away from it.. You can't dodge it.. You can't hide from it.. And you can't WIN against it.. Turn and fight and even if you WIN,,, it's one battle after another..

And your not safe anywhere or with anybody.. Get together with friends or family and sooner or later the issues and the arguments get started.. Stay at home with all the lights out and isolate yourself and SOMEBODY'S going to turn you in as somebody gone crazy..

I don't kn...

I don't know what to tell you.. you're tired of it.. So am I.. If I find a solution I'll let you know..

In the meantime,, TRY to grin and bear it.. It CAN'T last forever..

Getting drunk and staying drunk helps... ( JUST kidding... It doesn't help at ALL )....
  • Z 2012/05/10 11:16:20 (edited)
    Z
    +1
    I would first like to point out that your answer options are hypocritical. Second, I would like to point out that there is a bar at the top that has several different subject options. If you don't like politics, political parties and arguing, this, NEW AND POLITICS, is not the place for you. Nothing personal, but that just isn't how it works.

Unless your a troll, and then, welcome.

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
    ░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄
    ░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
    ░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
    ░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
    ...█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒...
    █░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▄▒█
    ░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░░█
    ░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█
    ░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█
    ░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
    ░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
  • Katheri... Z 2012/05/10 18:17:50
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Actually, my options are not hypocritical. :)
  • Z Katheri... 2012/05/11 09:00:51
    Z
    They are. Your post essentially, whether that is what your intended or not, boils down to the concept that because we argue and don't like each other, we suck. We treat each other as narrow-minded and ignorant because they other person doesn't agree with us. Your option for disagreement was:

In other words, that thing you spent this whole time condemning, you then did in your answer options. That is the definition of hypocrisy.
  • Katheri... Z 2012/05/11 09:02:46
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    My option for disagreement was poorly worded, but that does not make me a hypocrite. The point of disagreeing with me is not the part that makes you closed-minded to me. The part that makes you closed-minded to me is if you really think that a person's political party defines them to the point where it makes the IMMORAL or having no integrity.
  • Z Katheri... 2012/05/11 09:10:32
    Z
    I would argue that, first of all, most people's politics don't define them, but having a political bent a certain way can and does make them immoral. Granted, these positions tend to take the form of extremist groups like the Nazis, KKK, Communists, Weathermen (the group), etc.
  • Katheri... Z 2012/05/11 09:42:00
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    I will have to disagree with you to an idea (to a point), one that you may call me crazy for. Nazis and Communists especially have/had ideals/policies that looked like they would work/be productive, but the methods in which they tried to execute them, and especially later-adopted ideologies, like genocide of all non-Aryan persons, were the immoral parts.

The idea/philosophy of Communism in itself is very different from the actually practice of Communism in politics. The philosophy itself is very utopian and ideal, but in the way it is executed, especially in this world, it is not possible to be held out that way.

Wouldn't you agree that any person bent any way can be immoral--not just their political aspects?
  • Z Katheri... 2012/05/11 09:46:53 (edited)
    Z
    +1
    I would, but I don't agree that the ideas aren't immoral. Nazism I can accept, as it was originally a socialist group that later adopted the racial undertones. But Communism, I am assuming you have read both the Manifesto, the works of Friedrick Engels and Das Kapital, makes it clear that the path the USSR was taking was the actual path necessary. Idealism, individuality, religion, political opposition, dissent, any form of selfishness, leisure time and other similar concepts have to be eradicated to make socialism work.
  • Katheri... Z 2012/05/11 10:02:03
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    The theory is very different from the practice; one of the main issues being in that in practice, the government controls and owns everything, not the people. In practice, Communism led to economic collapse and political oppression, neither one of which ideals are egalitarian in nature (which is what Communism strived to be.)
  • Z Katheri... 2012/05/12 01:17:39
    Z
    +1
    But the theory included these things as part of the path to communism. Everything I stated above was from the theories, not practice. Practice was even worse.
  • 'Zedd 2012/05/10 09:48:57

2014/10/25 07:53:29