Why aren't Americans Buying the Chevy Volt?

Andrew 2012/03/03 12:11:00
The Volt Will Catch On!  The People Will Buy It If We Build It!
The Volt Is a Black Hole Investment!  People Aren't Buying It Because the Cost Doesn't Justify the Savings in Fuel Consumption.  Other Conventional Vehicles Do Far Better Without Subsidies
Other (please explain)!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/02/chevy-suspends-volt...

Chevrolet just announced that they will shut down the assembly line for the Chevy Volt for a total of five(5) weeks. From March 19 through April 23 workers will be laid off to bring production into line with actual sales. Thus far, only about 2000 vehicles have been sold in 2012 (Jan. and Feb.) when the company anticipated annual sales of 60,000. Why is this and is the Volt, the next Solyndra?!

• dick 2012/03/06 21:37:01
    The Volt Is a Black Hole Investment! People Aren't Buying It Because the Cos...
    dick
    +1
    They say you can go 35 miles on the electric! Big whoop!!!
  • Andrew dick 2012/03/07 07:52:47
    Unbelievable waste of money for the buyer and criminally wasting the taxpayers dollars!
  • Sarah A... dick 2012/05/06 21:04:03
  • Andrew Sarah A... 2012/05/07 07:19:32
    Nice, but Ferrari is more my style! A bit out of my price range, however!
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/03/04 16:53:57
    Other (please explain)!
    Elaine Magliacane
    +2
    #1 It's TOO expensive
    #2 THEY CATCH ON FIRE
    #3 Electric power is EXPENSIVE TOO
    #4 It has no RANGE... I drive more than 20 miles
    #5 did I mention JOBS... without a JOB can't buy a car
  • Andrew Elaine ... 2012/03/05 10:15:02
    +1
    All of which add up to the fact that the Volt is a waste of money by the consumer and a bigger waste of the taxpayers money! thanks!
  • Jerry 2012/03/04 02:19:06
    Jerry
    +3
    They're coal powered and subsidized. Thank you no.
  • Andrew Jerry 2012/03/04 12:26:07
    +2
    Funny, call the car, "green" and people look no further than the exaust pipe, instead of asking where that electricity came from. We live amongst a population that has lost the power of logic and discernment!
  • Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2012/03/04 01:08:34
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +3
    Too expensive, unreliable, waste of time.
  • Andrew Leasher... 2012/03/04 12:30:25
    +2
    Americans are way too willing to believe anything without looking beneath the surface. I woman could be the most beautiful creature God ever created, but if she's a prostitute, I won't marry her because deep within, her loyalty is to financial gain. She doesn't love herself or me. That's the Volt. It might look beautiful to me, but under the skin, it will rob me and my fellow Americans blind because of its love of carbon based fuels.
  • Leasher... Andrew 2012/03/05 02:26:04
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +2
    That is an excellent comparison. I agree completely. I've always believed that it's not what's on the surface that counts; it's what's inside that makes someone or something beautiful.
  • Dee 2012/03/04 00:46:49
    Dee
    +3
    The Volt simply does not live up to the hype and is much too expensive for me. Besides, my electric bill is high enough and this would add to it. And, as far as conserving energy, you still need coal plants to generate the electricity to charge the car, and you still need to put gas in it. No thanks.
  • Andrew Dee 2012/03/04 12:33:26
    +3
    If "environmentalists" could simply learn to look past the facade and see the true nature of the "beast" they would understand the Volt, despite its "green label" has a more voracious appetite for fossil fuels then an internal combustion engine powered vehicle! And it empties your wallet, empowers the government and steals your individual liberties in this process!
  • Dee Andrew 2012/03/04 19:25:15
    Dee
    +2
    There won't be one in my garage, and that's a fact!
  • relic 2012/03/03 22:42:10
    relic
  • Andrew relic 2012/03/04 12:33:44
    +1
    That says it all!
  • fisherman 2012/03/03 20:12:56
    fisherman
    +4
    light bulbs
    the same concept as these pieces of crap ...cost too much , save too little , and are a fire hazard .
  • relic fisherman 2012/03/03 22:42:59
    relic
    +5
    Green is the new Red.
  • fisherman relic 2012/03/03 22:44:44
    fisherman
    +5
    and red is the new normal ..
    red normal
  • Andrew relic 2012/03/04 12:35:10
    +1
    Rush Limbaugh has been saying that for years!
  • Andrew fisherman 2012/03/04 12:34:44
    +2
    I stocked up on incandecents before the new law, limiting my freedom and choice!
  • Viet Era medic 2012/03/03 19:58:49
    Viet Era medic
    +3
    Because it's a POS car. If anybody wants to buy it, let them but it's not for me. I think it's a joke.
  • Andrew Viet Er... 2012/03/04 12:37:14
    +1
    As long as it is a choice and not paid for with a dime of my tax money, I support the choice of those who wish to purchase and drive one. But, of course, that is not the case. Rich Hollywood types buy them and get the tax breaks and want me to subsidies their purchase. And I'm supposed to feel good about that?!
  • Viet Er... Andrew 2012/03/04 15:16:18
    Viet Era medic
    +2
    No. we are not supposed to feel good about it...
    I missed that part. Yeah, that does pi$$ me off too. WRong... so very wrong. bunch of idiots, overstepping again, they love to tell us what to do and to take away our money. I'm sorry I missed that.
  • Andrew Viet Er... 2012/03/05 10:16:59
    +1
    I hope you know that I understood that you opposed the Volt. My question was rhetorical!
  • Viet Er... Andrew 2012/03/06 00:28:22
    Viet Era medic
    +2
    yep, knew that... just adding my comments to others that would possibly read it.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/03 19:31:43 (edited)
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    The numbers don't work. For the extra cost of a Volt, you can buy more gas than the car is likely to save.
  • Andrew V~POTL~... 2012/03/03 19:34:37
    +3
    With all the subsidies, you could buy two Hondas that would last twice as long and get better overall fuel economy!
  • kaZappoo 2012/03/03 18:26:00
    kaZappoo
    +3
    when they design a propulsion system like that of a locomotive ( small engine /generator / or reverse polarity - dynamic braking ) and electro combo motors ( for the trans or differentials ) then were talking ,,this is how trains get 25+ mpg ..and how much tonnage are they pulling ?

the same principal would work in class 8 semis ...but bendix brake corp would be out of business ..

till then I 'll stay with my hydrogen on demand supplement system ..and get 50 mpg ..the chevy volt ,,,is ok ( unreasonable priced ) ...then the toyota prius is "ok "as well .. and they use the ICE /generator / combo motor ! dynamic braking to charge batteries ,,
  • Andrew kaZappoo 2012/03/03 19:04:26 (edited)
    +2
    Only trouble with that would be acceleration. I can't see taking 45 seconds to go from Zero to Sixty! You're right though!
  • kaZappoo Andrew 2012/03/03 20:42:31
    kaZappoo
    +3
    actually that isnt a problem ..."immagine a drill motor "...pull the trigger all the way down ""
    or tesslas car .0-60 in 3 seconds,,top speed of 210 ''' depends on RPM's that the motors could turn ,,, that would only be limited by the amperage avail !...batteries for storage @ 600 amps ( how much Cold Cranking Amps avail in a normal battery ..thats how much power you would have
  • Andrew kaZappoo 2012/03/04 12:42:34
    +1
    Good point, but if I go on vacation, I'll have to take my strictly gas powered vehicle if I intend to travel more then 100 miles a day. As you know, the locomotive has a fossil fuel burning system that is continuously charging and powering the system. Can such a system power an automobile and give it the range and acceleration necessary to operate on the roads of America? If so, let's get building them. It is very efficient and a great idea whose time has come. I suspect we aren't there yet!
  • kaZappoo Andrew 2012/03/04 19:50:55
    kaZappoo
    +2
    use alternative fuel to power the ICE engine ,,,and then that to charge the batteries ..
    the people have been taught that gas was the ONLY thing to use ..it's not !

I agree about the volt needing to be charged ...MY point was to use a ICE engine / gererator .. as in the prius //then use alternative fuel to power the ICE engine ...

your comment was there wasnt suffiecient take off power //i said if you have 300 CCA's to take off that is sufffecient power to do that( the cheapest battery has 300 CCA's ) ..then you said it would take you forever to attain a speed of 60 mph ...teslas car will do that in 3 seconds w/ 300 amps ..

was my whole point ...I have done considerable time researching & examining these things ,,then after seeing the ideas behind locomotive propulsion / and adapting this to cars /trucks ,,it's doable ...but too many wont listen !!
    and bendix brake corp wont have that in a semi ...they need to sell brake components !
  • V~POTL~... kaZappoo 2012/03/04 02:21:58
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Accelerating is what kills gas mileage. Locomotives haul tremendous loads with incredible efficiency because they rarely stop. Compare that to cities and towns where they deliberately set up traffic controls to slow down traffic with unnessary stops.

To achieve the fuel economy of locomotives with automobiles would require turning all stop signs into traffic lights, with sensors in the road to provide the optimum red/green timing to minimize the number of cars stopping. Even better if everyone uses GPS to declare their destination, with computers driving the cars on auto-pilot for the purpose of minimum fuel consumption.
  • kaZappoo V~POTL~... 2012/03/04 02:47:09
    kaZappoo
    +2
    they can & will operate with the same rheostat system as acceleration pedal same as is used in electric drill motors etc .. how much Cold Cranking Amps are usefull over & over ?

the ICE w/ generator can work on the same premise ..when operating a drill motor how mwny times is it started & stopped ?
    the capacitor causes the motors to rotate in one direction

for braking function "dynamic braking " is where magnets are used or reverse polarity and keeps trains from using extreme braking down hill ..I have over 3 million miles in a semi ..
    and cars /trucks can use the stored energy in the batteries ,,then the generator recharges the batteries , and the dynamic braking "as is used in the prius +/- magnets in brake calipers rotors recharges the batteries ..

the immediate amperage is used w/ the on demand amperage stored in battery ,,300 amps as used in the tesla car to get from 0-60 in 3 seconds and can be used indefinately ..then brakes in "again dynamic ' braking ....
    tesla's ideas are trememdous ..but with his innovations scares the oil co/ and his constant velocity motor "no electricity ' MAGNETS "" CHECK IT OUT !!!!
    tesla proved all these debates from all mfg's

if they fitted all vehicles we'd get 75 MPG ...again you only use eng / gen to charge batteries ..
    how fast ...

how fast did the VOLT take off ...ever drive a prius ?

good questions ...but I have solutions for all it ! problems I see is that folks are slaves to old ways and gasoline .. tesla discovered A/C " NOT edison'
  • Doc 2012/03/03 18:19:36
    Other (please explain)!
    Doc
    +3
    The same reason that people quit buying the Yugo.
  • Andrew Doc 2012/03/03 19:06:08
    +3
    Had a friend with a Yugo in the early 90's. The frame cracked at 30,000 miles. This is what you get from Socialist countries and that is what they want us to become!
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/03/03 18:15:48
    Inquisitve Kat
    +4
    Not to mention, it's an expensive hunk of ultra-flammable garbage.
  • Andrew Inquisi... 2012/03/03 18:19:48
    +3
    Expensive to say the least when the true cost is buried within layers of "incentives" that place it closer to $200K instead of the $40K pricetag at the dealership!
  • mich52 2012/03/03 17:45:52

2014/11/28 00:25:36