Why are young Americans giving up on God?

holyheretic 2012/06/19 22:20:17
Fundamentalists are turning off some young people
Atheists and agnostic role models are getting more vocal
Many young Americans realize that an overwhelming majority of our finest scientists reject sacred organized ignorance, arrogance and intolerance
The annual cost of tax-payer subsidies to our sects, cults and religions is much too low - only $71.1B
I have another idea

71 Billion – Forget the Corporations, Tax the Churches!

http://tinyurl.com/7w3ugrr

11111

fffff

wwwww

dddddd

dddddd

ddddd

fffff

33333

fffff

55555

ddddd

ffffff

ddddd

fffff

ffffff

ddddd

fffff

ddddd

ddddd

ddddd

1111
2222

2222

11111

1111

gggggg

2222

33333

ddddd

ddddd

ddddd

22222

ffffff

ddddd

11111

22222

dddddd

rrrrr

ddddd

eeeee

2222

fffff

222222

ddddd

eeeee

dddddd

ddddd

rrrrr

Research Report: How Secular Humanists (and Everyone Else) Subsidize Religion in the United States

http://tinyurl.com/crsmwsy
11111
2222
3333
4444

5555
6666

7777

8888

9999

1010

1111
1212

1313
1414

1515
1616

1717

1818
1919
2020

2121

2222

2323

ddddd

for more see:
http://tinyurl.com/crsmwsy

fffff

fffff

Read More: http://holyheretics.blogspot.com/

• Tariq 2012/06/22 00:24:30 (edited)
    I have another idea
    Tariq
    +11
    I wish I could vote the "finest scientists" one but I see no signs of such enlightenment or awareness. A major cause is simply rebellion against parents, half of the kids raised as rationalists take up some revealed religion. We (Progressive Muslims) are growing pretty rapidly but not because of people thinking and analyzing theological questions. We get a lot of girls and women who are horrified by the treatment of women in traditional Islam. We get a lot of gay Muslims who come to us because we are the only Muslims who will take them. Now I worry where these girls will find husbands. One thing I feel certain is happening is selection by intelligence, some of the brightest kids raised in revealed religions becoming rationalists and some of the most gullible kids raised as rationalists joining revealed religions.
    Muslims for Progressive Values
    http://www.mpvusa.org/
    Sodahead Muslims for Progressive Values Group
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

• Sharon1992 2012/06/20 08:11:50
    Many young Americans realize that an overwhelming majority of our finest scie...
    Sharon1992
    +4
    Because they finally realize that God is created by man.
  • Marianne 2012/06/20 07:13:37
    I have another idea
    Marianne
    +3
    I think that fanatism, too many restrictions and sacrifices, intolerance and the denial of women's or children's rights (in many cases), will turn off an increasing number of young and older people from sects and extreme fundamentalism, although the younger ones are more easily influenced.
  • Scream 2012/06/20 06:41:44
    I have another idea
    Scream
    +3
    Does it matter?
    It's not a bad thing to not follow or believe in any God.
  • elijahin24 Scream 2012/06/20 15:16:21
    elijahin24
    That depends on where that god leads you.
  • Willie 2012/06/20 05:53:11
    I have another idea
    Willie
    +4
    Perhaps they've just learned to think for themselves. We have a generation coming up that has better access to information than any previous one, and they're using it. The old mythology will die from exposure to true knowledge and information. And not a moment too soon.
  • Commrad... Willie 2012/06/20 10:13:17
    Commrade#371
    I have another idea. I think that the next generation has found new gods, ones far more frightening and primitive MTV
    generation gods frightening primitive
  • TwentyBeauties 2012/06/20 04:57:24
    I have another idea
    TwentyBeauties
    +3
    Safe sex has brought an end to the panic over AIDS and young people thinking about sex instead of God.
  • caius madison 2012/06/20 04:09:46
    I have another idea
    caius madison
    +3
    Much of religion is not, for lack of better words, marketed well. I'm Atheist, mostly because I am not easily reached with references to stpries that require I just get faith to be able to convince myself I will believe them. They really need some strong figure heads to "market" religion, because it's people like Kirk Cameron and Billy Graham that just repulse me with talks of no transition animal. News flash, the is the Platapus. Now what?!
  • Yoko 2012/06/20 03:57:56
    I have another idea
    Yoko
    +3
    Humans are starting to develop common sense…or at least that is my hope…

Blessings to all and,
    May all be well with you ^_^
  • cosmicventure 2012/06/20 01:58:36
    cosmicventure
    +3
    We can only hope that many more will freely think for themselves. no sky
  • The Libertarian 2012/06/20 01:45:59
    I have another idea
    The Libertarian
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/06/20 00:57:03
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +3
    The insane fundies of all religions turn young people off of religion.
  • RushSchlafly 2012/06/20 00:49:17
    I have another idea
    RushSchlafly
    +3
    Young people are too distracted to care about anything but stimulus and gratification. Their grades in science are declining, they do not care one iota what scientists think, they do not watch the scientific programs on TV. Alcohol, drugs, sex and rap is all most of them care about. I think if you check on the funding for scientific research, it is suffering as much as church attendance. The boys I teach are mostly intent on being successful drug dealers, making lots of money, buying fancy cars and bling, partying and fornicating.
  • Seiryuu RushSch... 2012/06/20 07:33:07
    Seiryuu
    +2
    Please tell me you don't come from Conservapedia.
  • kelly Seiryuu 2012/06/20 20:23:57
    kelly
    +1
    Pretty sure they did, otherwise they would know better
  • Seiryuu kelly 2012/06/20 22:30:01
    Seiryuu
    +1
    After the Lenski affair, it's amusing to see what Conservapedia comes up with.
  • Walter Harris 2012/06/20 00:46:11
    I have another idea
    Walter Harris
    +1
    I'm not giving up on God, to the contrary I love God more everyday. Now there is those that do not and I understand. It is hard sometimes to let or allow someone to control our lives.
  • Don Leuty 2012/06/20 00:26:23
    I have another idea
    Don Leuty
    +3
    Because they are young, and God gets in the way.
  • Ira 2012/06/20 00:22:52
    Ira
    +3
    We see religion creeping into politics and politics are really screwed up. I think it is all a big turn off and people are also waking up from their divine slumber and finding a new reality.
  • U-Dog 2012/06/20 00:10:38
    I have another idea
    U-Dog
    +3
    I don't believe that most young Americans are giving up on the concept of a Natural Creator of the universe as much as they are less deceived by the idea that dogmatic man made religions, based on irrational Supernatural mysticism, have anything to do with defining that creator.
    I have another idea
    +3
    The Democrats have worked in close File and Order to destroy the Christian Churches since the days of FDR. Now that they have linked up with the Muslims and are actively using TAX DILLARS to build them Mosques all over among other 5hings. I think it is gonna be time realk soon to eliminate the Democrats from the political arena. They need to be forcibly disbanded for treasonious opperation
  • reaper jackola... 2012/06/20 06:20:11
  • Apocalypse Island 2012/06/20 00:00:47
    Apocalypse Island
    +4
    I would think it was more hedonistic pleasure seeking than rational seeking the truth. The quest for excitement, action and loud noise means only those churches which provide these things will attract the young. Woe betide the staid Episcopalians but glory to the holy roller churches like the Charismatic Pentecostal Churches of God. Just part of the dumbing down of America in the hip hop generation.
    I think you need to look at bequeathed property and the non-payment of inheritance taxes.
  • dave b 2012/06/19 23:58:22
    I have another idea
    dave b
    +2
    After decades of rampant Progressivism attacking Christianity, including in our public 'education' system, this isnt surprising.
  • danila777 dave b 2012/06/20 02:55:09
    danila777
    I have a neighbour, she has a son my age he never put a foot in a church because she refused to have anything to do with organised religion. Now she is close to dyeing and wants me to introduce him to a nice church going girl. The older generation being so liberated have managed to make the younger generation not care about anything else but themselves, they go trough live alone with friends that envy you.
  • elijahin24 danila777 2012/06/20 15:21:48
    elijahin24
    +2
    Yeah, we sure wouldn't want people to be liberated.
  • kobidobidog 2012/06/19 23:54:02
    I have another idea
    kobidobidog
    +2
    They only think they are. it is disillusionment with the other guy in religions. Do good to whoever,and have God in you. Devils don't do good works or say good words to anyone.
  • mikenassau 2012/06/19 23:49:58
    mikenassau
    +3
    Many young people are alienated by the fundamentalists rejection of gay people. Anita Bryant did more for the cause of rationalism than did Albert Einstein.
  • reaper mikenassau 2012/06/19 23:55:04
    reaper
    +4
    not just rejection of gay people, but of realty and other peoples culture.
  • A Founding Father 2012/06/19 23:37:56 (edited)
    I have another idea
    A Founding Father
    +3
    Good post, with an overwhelming array of testimonials that answer the question.

It's just very hard to convince intelligent young people of such silly tales as Johna living in a whale belly, Lazarus rising from "dead", Noah keeping 160 million species of animals and birds on a little boat, a virgin having a baby that can walk on water, and 5,000 people eating lunch of one Big Mac and fries. Then, they are told to forget the stories of the Tooth Fairy, Easter Rabbit, and Santa Clause that actually have brought them some tasty
    sweets and new toys. Which to believe? I'd go for those that brought me something I could eat or play with.

Then, there are the "messengers". What young person could be attracted to John Hagee,
    Joel Osteen, Jimmy Swagart, and Benny HInn? They are such obvious fakes, creeps, just ranting about delusions and head voices and milking money from the "believers" Then, along comes such nutjobs as Rick Santorum, Michelle Brachman, the Pope and a hundred pedophile Priests, and a dozen others all climbing on the bandwagon as it goes down the street in the parade "for Jesus" votes. What could turn off a bright youngster faster than these characters?

There is, indeed, a time to "put away childish things" and become an adult.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/06/19 23:19:12
  • Jarod K... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/06/20 04:04:21 (edited)
  • Fish 2012/06/19 23:17:07
    I have another idea
    Fish
    +2
    The church doesn't teach love any more. The preacher has man made sermons instead of listening to what God has to say. The other reason is the church has remained in its 4I walls of the church. When the church should go out side of the walls and bring people in. We are the body of christ. Christ needs to stop being a couch potato, but instead a moving body.
  • RosaLuxemburg 2012/06/19 23:12:19
    RosaLuxemburg
    +3
    We were nearly there in 1950, with religion in decline. Then people panicked about the atomic bomb and man made end of the world. Now we have global warming but strangely the people of faith deny it is happening. If they realize it is what they need and get behind the fright, maybe they can turn things around again and drive people back into the churches.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... RosaLux... 2012/06/19 23:20:47
  • A Found... RosaLux... 2012/06/19 23:47:52
    A Founding Father
    +1
    I think you might have misread the question. The question is not about "churches", but asks about "God". Perhaps the answer is found in the confusion between "churches" that cause most of the absurdities and problems from which intelligent young people flee, and a "God" that might be more acceptable were it not claimed by these assemblies.
  • reaper 2012/06/19 23:12:03
    reaper
  • Little Miss Monster 2012/06/19 23:11:10
    I have another idea
    Little Miss Monster
    +3
    I gave up on God because of the hypocrisy--how can a religion be so prevalent where it both preaches love & acceptance of all human beings as well as dictates hating gays and the mistreatment of women--even better, one that denies pedophilia charges to save face? (this is specific to Christianity). Also, I don't like the way religious people think that they are better than other people in some instances or that religion is in any way superior to science, as it is certainly not.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Little ... 2012/06/19 23:22:17
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    not all Religions are as Ass backwards as the Abraham Religion
    with Ten thousand Rules and punishment if you break any of them

my Religion only has Ten Rules and no hell
  • Little ... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/06/20 02:49:19
    Little Miss Monster
    +2
    Well, yeah, I should have said that because I do know that. It's just Christianity which really frustrates me. lol

2014/07/23 18:15:29