Why are Women filing for divorce far more over men?

Calm down! 2011/07/02 16:18:02

Two-Thirds of the Time
It’s the wife who files for divorce in about two-thirds of divorce cases, at least among couples who have children. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the proportion has changed slightly over the years; for example, in 1975, approximately 72 percent of the divorces in the U.S. were filed by women, whereas by 1988, only about 65 percent were filed by women.

The Same throughout the 19th Century
A study reported in the American Law and Economics Review in 2000, "These Boots Are Made for Walking: Why Most Divorce Filers are Women" also showed that more recently, women file more than two-thirds of divorce cases in the US. Even though the individual states’ data vary somewhat and the numbers have fluctuated over time, throughout most of the 19th century about 60 percent of divorce filings were by women.

Moreover, in some of the states where no-fault divorce was introduced, over 70 percent of the divorce filings were by women. Among college-educated couples, the percentage of divorces initiated by wives is a whopping 90 percent.

• juliet 2011/07/05 23:05:00
    juliet
    Men usually think everything is peaches and cream and that everything is fine and plus they don't want to let their spouse go,usually because of fear of being alone, but women aren't putting up with men's crap anymore so they leave. I would know because that happened between my mom and stepdad
  • TKramar 2011/07/03 03:49:39
    TKramar
    +2
    Men don't even see that there's a problem. They're taken by surprise.
  • Calm down! TKramar 2011/07/05 23:05:43
    Calm down!
    I agree! Women never even tell us anything untill it's too late! They think we are just supposed to know there is something wrong, even though guy's are busy worring about feeding their family and rent. You know, little stuff. I think Women are to blame for a majority of split up broken homes today!
  • TKramar Calm down! 2011/07/05 23:22:12
    TKramar
    there isn't anything wrong, they just move the goalposts.
  • ttfndude 2011/07/02 23:49:24
    ttfndude
    +1
    because women think they can always change a man and are more willing to "try" again with the next guy as when men are unhappy they just work more...that and how could any real man see another raise his children for him, they stick around to keep that other guy out
  • erro ttfndude 2011/07/03 04:39:18
    erro
    I disagree, women know they cannot change a man and so move on.
    Men do focus on other interest and loose interest in their marriage and frequently deny there are any problems at all. Women get frustrated with that.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2011/07/02 22:42:44
    SoCalEx-Dem
    I have no clue! Our society has become so disposable, abort babies because they can be an inconvenience, dispose of life mates through divorce for your share of the materials. Then you wonder why the murder rate is so high for spousal murders. People have no regard for life anymore. Its sad!
  • RobertRowe 2011/07/02 21:49:10
    RobertRowe
    it's because he didn't live upto her expectations.
  • Calm down! RobertRowe 2011/07/05 23:07:20
    Calm down!
    Womens' expectations are through the roof today!
  • heirsoftheking 2011/07/02 18:25:55
    heirsoftheking
    I read your divorce stats. 90 percent among college grad divorces. Yep! Education is not the answer to man's problems - God is, and without him, expect to fail.

Some people are so headstrong, they're bound to fail at marriage for sure. I've worked with several very successful architects and engineers, both men and women, who have won many awards and company promotions, but were miserable failures with family and marriage.

God made the family first before he ever made the requirement to work. Put more effort in making the marriage and the family work, than your job. Learn what the other has to go through. Assist them when needed, and sometimes a lot of assistance is needed. Sacrifice selfish desires when the kids come along - give them the best environment, especially during those early learning years. This may mean sacrificing hunting and fishing trips and golf games, and it probably will, but it won't be forever. I worked with too many fools in the Space Program who refused to sacrifice those things, and every last one of them got divorced.

The other day after work I told my wife that I needed to shift gears so I could prepare dinner. SHe said, "Now you know what us women go through - we wear many hats." And they do. So why are women seeking divorces more than men? Maybe because many men don't assist a woman with all the hats she must wear.
  • erro heirsof... 2011/07/03 04:41:34
    erro
    I guess you have not checked out any real statistics on divorce lately.

Religion
    % have been divorced

Jews 30%
    Born-again Christians 27%
    Other Christians 24%
    Atheists, Agnostics 21%
  • Stan Kapusta 2011/07/02 17:49:14
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Women have more opportunity today. The traditional role of mother and waitress is dieing.
  • Fannie 2011/07/02 17:48:57 (edited)
    Fannie
    +1
    Maria just filed yesterday - she'll split 400 million..............mmmmh, no prenub
  • Calm down! 2011/07/02 16:28:22
    Calm down!
    +1
    I have had about a dozen friends over the years and myself that got divorced. I was just thinking about it and every single time it was the wife who got unhappy about something and filed for the divorce in every case. It was just a mess seeing so many of my friends have their whole family's split apart. Nine of my friends including myself our wives cheated on us! The others were really stupid where it could of been worked out, but the wife was unhappy and that is all that matters now it seems like. Even though kids get damaged not having their real Dad around. I understand some guys are A holes and horrible fathers / husbands and they deserve it. However, all of my friends I knew really well were great fathers and husbands! Several of my friend told me they will never get married again because they say the financial liability's of the husband is too great now!
  • JCD aka... Calm down! 2011/07/02 16:38:53
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    "Financial liabilities"? Men should only marry women who make more $ than they do.
  • Savious Calm down! 2011/07/02 16:53:38
    Savious
    +1
    yup, my first wife was the one who was cheeting on me. Said she couldn't stand being alone all the time, that I was working to much and not spending enough time at home with her and the kids. So she found someone a bit closer, when I caught them, I booted her and him out of my house, kept my children, went to the court house and filed for an emergancy custody order.

She tried to come back and get the kids, but failed since I had the paperwork. Shortly after that, she filed for divorce.

the funny thing was, she moved in with that other guy, and he turned out to be a real scum bag, beat her and all kinds of things.

Years later, I was living in my 4 bedroom house, with two new cars, a boat and a motorcycle, and she was living in a trailer driving a 10+ year old minivan. And then one day when she was bringing our kids back home after a visitation, my oldest son who was 15 at the time looked at her when they pulled into my driveway and said: "yup mom, it could of all been yours if you had only kept your legs together." then hoped out and ran inside to my house.
  • Fannie Savious 2011/07/02 17:50:41
    Fannie
    What a sick mf son
  • Calm down! Savious 2011/07/02 17:57:27
  • erro Savious 2011/07/03 04:46:28
    erro
    Interesting that you have polluted the mind of your child against his mother to make yourself feel better. That is not the sign of any good parent in my opinion.

My husband cheated on my as well. However, there are somethings between a man and wife that children should never be exposed to. You lack of judgement is appalling.
  • Savious erro 2011/07/03 06:25:10
    Savious
    That's a pretty big assumption to be making.

For your infomation, I didn't polute their minds, or turn them against her, both my boys came to their own conclusions when it came to their biological mother. Of course it didn't take them long to make that conclusion after broken promises, missed visitations, leaving them alone in her house so she could go gamble, or seeing the train load of boyfriends she went through.

I didn't however lie to them; when they were entering their teens and asked why "mommy and daddy aren't together any more" I told them the truth, as did she, that she had an affair, and then filed for divorce after she was caught. And that was it.

Nope, sorry, I can honestly say I never tried to turn them against her; I saw how that worked with a friend of mine and swore I wouldn't do it to them. So I didn't, but through her own actions she did it to herself.
  • erro Savious 2011/07/08 14:01:32
    erro
    How did they get the information about her sleeping with someone else? Were they they and caught her in bed?

If not, they you told them and that is your influence and your polluting of their minds and using them as a weapon against her.

Like I said, there are thing between a husband and wife that children should never be privy to. You have crossed that line.
  • Savious erro 2011/07/10 15:40:43
    Savious
    Well, as I said before; "I told them the truth, as did she" so she turned them as well.
  • erro Savious 2011/07/10 16:08:11
    erro
    Children do not need to know the problems within a marriage. It is none of their business. You told them for you benefit not theirs. It only served one purpose and it was not to improve their lives but to turn them against their mother. That is a despicable and manipulative act of hate. You taught your kids to hate as well. That served no purpose other than to make your justify your own feeling.
  • Savious erro 2011/07/11 12:36:17
    Savious
    OK, at this point it is obvious that you have formed your own preconceived opinion on this. It makes no difference to you that she told them that she had an affair; or that they were older when the information was given. You have concluded that I am an evil man, warping and twisting my children’s minds for my own nefarious purposes. At this point, I think we must simply agree to disagree.
  • erro Savious 2011/07/12 02:12:30
    erro
    Interesting that now you are changing your story. You originally told me that you told them she cheated, now you are saying she told them. Get your story straight.
  • Savious erro 2011/07/12 04:25:29
    Savious
    nope, story has stayed the same; you failed to read it.

When you first accussed me of polluting my childrens minds, I wrote:

" I told them the truth, as did she, that she had an affair, and then filed for divorce after she was caught. And that was it. "

I guess you missed the part where I wrote: AS DID SHE. You then asked how they got the information. I tried to explain again, by posting what I wrote:

"Well, as I said before; "I told them the truth, as did she" so she turned them as well."

At which time you continued to bash me; so I called it quits; I gave up, nothing I was going to say would convince you that I was anything but a POS.

And now, you make statements about how I have changed my story, which I haven't. The truth is, you jumped to conclusions, without reading what was wrote.
  • tncdel 2011/07/02 16:25:34
    tncdel
    +3
    Obviously men take marriage vows words "Till death do us part" more seriously.
  • MadAsHEck tncdel 2011/07/02 16:58:37
    MadAsHEck
    Yup! At least us old dudes. 59 years and counting with no complaints.
  • erro tncdel 2011/07/03 04:47:34 (edited)
    erro
    Hardly, many men simply do not value women and when women are not valued they respond by leaving.

I left two husbands for exactly the same reasons, they were cheating liars. That is not because I do not believe in "Till death do us part" I believe in commitment to ONE partner at a time and monogamy in marriage.

2014/04/20 16:16:48