Why are some people more successful than others?

Dwight 2012/07/05 16:18:03
There is much argument over this question today, and it has a many facets as a diamond. I have a personal metaphore that I've been tossing around for years and I want to share it for discussion. It's hardly perfect, and leaves out those who obviously have advantages involving family wealth and possition. I don't even try to factor those in my theory.

Mostly I have just concerned myself with those who manage to rise from humble or modest means because, let's face it, people like the Kennedy and Rockerfellers manage to give their ofspring and advantage beyond natural tallent. Even a fairly casual study of history will show that family wealth is transitory, meaning it both increases and declines with time and the abilities of those who inherit and wheither they manage or squander.

My theory is simple. Picture children learning to color. Watch them and you will see four distinct groups of differing size. You can subdivide these groups if you want, I don't think it will matter much.

1) A few learn quickly to color inside the lines. Even her there is some difference, but they learn quicker than othersto color with skill.

2) The next group is larger and can easily be subdivided if we want. this group lears slower than the first to stay within the lines, and a good portion takes time to develope the skill. But being willing to work at it these children learn with variable difficulty how to do the job well.

3)The third group just can't. For whatever reason, mental or physical handicap, this group will never develope the motor control, or perspective to be successful "colorers".

4) The forth group is the problem group, IMO. This groupe can be equally draw from children who Should be in either of the first two groupes. They are intelligent and able. They have no handicap, at least that's not self imposed. They simply choose to not bother learning to "color". This groupe is the whinners, the ones who most likely will develope the habit of blaming all their failures on someone else, wheither anothers lack of concern or anothers unwillingness to "share' what they have accumilated.

i don't claim that my metaphor is perfect, and I'm willing to hear critisim. I hope you'll share this post and generate some discussion on the subject of individual success.

• FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/07/05 17:07:41
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have. Good metaphor. People are so multi-dimensional, that most people are successful in some areas and not in other areas.

• Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/07/05 21:02:04 (edited)
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +1
    If you work hard you can over come and only in America My son worked 3 jobs in college and summer jobs no one else would work paid $40,000 back in loans he did it no help from his dad !!!! OR GOVERNMENT !!!!!
  • Dwight Diane S... 2012/07/05 23:01:14 (edited)
    Dwight
    +1
    Yo, Diane! You tell 'em sweetheart!
  • A Founding Father 2012/07/05 19:57:57
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Best way to be successful is to inherit a large amount of money from a successful parent or grandparent. Evidence - Mitten Romney, Donald Trump, George Bush, George W. Bush, all the Kennedys. Marrying a wealthy spouse is another way to thought of as "successful". Another way is become a "Reagan Banker", stock broker, or hedge fund manager and take from America's middle class their retirement and savings by selling to them knowingly worthless things like "derivitives" and "asset backed securities" made legal by "Reaganomics" and "deregulation".
  • Dwight A Found... 2012/07/05 20:03:02
    Dwight
    +1
    not exactly what I was talking about. I was talking about those of us with more modest history's.
  • A Found... Dwight 2012/07/05 20:09:59 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Separate "success" from money and you will find a lot of successful people. We have been led to measure "success" only in terms of dollars, which is a huge corruption of all
    that is decent and beneficial to humanity.
  • Dwight A Found... 2012/07/05 23:02:14
    Dwight
    I agree, that's why I ruled out inherited wealth from my post.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/07/05 17:07:41
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
  • Dwight FeedFwd... 2012/07/05 17:11:31
    Dwight
    +1
    Thanks FeedFWD, that is my point.
  • FeedFwd... Dwight 2012/07/05 17:26:04
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    I guess my point is that people are fortunate in that if they can't color, maybe they can sing or dance instead to be successful. Unfortunately, too many people try to conform to some social standard and never discover their true talents or find true happiness.
  • Dwight FeedFwd... 2012/07/05 17:29:23
    Dwight
    +1
    absolutly
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/07/05 16:52:33
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +2
    Intelligence, hard work, ingenuity, creativity, connections, etc.
  • Dwight Anonymo... 2012/07/05 16:53:13
    Dwight
    +1
    Thanks Anonymouse
  • BrianD3 2012/07/05 16:32:24
    BrianD3
    +2
    it sounds good to me. Sometimes people start out with great advantage because of their family but how often do we see "spoiled rich kids" blow or squander thier opportunities and their family wealth?

success is about risk, it is about hard work, it is about dedication and accountibility. Some is predicated upon who you know and perhaps rich kids are introduced to family friends that offer them opportunities we have to struggle for.

There is nothing stopping the avarage guy from working hard or from networking.
  • Dwight BrianD3 2012/07/05 16:38:20
    Dwight
    +1
    thanks LemonHead
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:27:41
    JanHopkins
    +1
    I never learned to color perfectly within the lines. Instead I learned art.
  • BrianD3 JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:37:28
    BrianD3
    +2
    I am a stick figure skill level artist
  • JanHopkins BrianD3 2012/07/05 16:49:39
    JanHopkins
    +2
    But successfull?
  • Dwight JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:54:36
    Dwight
    +1
    what is success but earning an honest living and being happy with what we do? Does it have to mean a "high' income?
  • JanHopkins Dwight 2012/07/06 03:09:02
    JanHopkins
    +1
    You are preaching to the choir. I count myself fortunate to have my home, my kids and grandkids, my gardens, pets and art.
  • Dwight JanHopkins 2012/07/06 08:54:18
    Dwight
    +1
    well there you go. happiness truely is the greatest reward i believe.
  • BrianD3 JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:57:07
    BrianD3
    +1
    I break even, would like to do a little better than that
  • Dwight BrianD3 2012/07/05 17:12:32
    Dwight
    +1
    I agree. When I was working I was able to but a little aside. Came in handy too.
  • Dwight JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:41:04
    Dwight
    +1
    and i have trouble painting a wall. can you run heavy eqiupment?
    motor grader
  • JanHopkins Dwight 2012/07/05 16:50:38
    JanHopkins
    +2
    No but I can shape, cut, grind and weld the parts that make it work.
  • Dwight JanHopkins 2012/07/05 16:55:26
    Dwight
    +2
    if you can make a living and be happy doing what you do, i think that's a success.

2014/10/30 14:40:08