Why are progressives willing to condemn the old and infirm to death

☆astac☆~PWCM 2013/01/27 19:10:41
Let us not waste another breath responding to the mock outrage with which progressives react to accusations such as Sarah Palin's "death panel" remark. Whether ObamaCare's Independent Payment Advisory Board should correctly be described as a "death panel" or a "cost-reduction system" is actually a stale semantics debate, given that when they are not acting outraged, leftists explain their real intentions quite clearly. Cutting to the chase, the proper question to ask is, "Why are progressives willing to condemn the old and infirm to death?"

I see people aged 67 or 68 at class reunions who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor.... Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes.

In the U.S., former labor secretary Robert Reich offered an audience of cheering young people the following example of what an "honest" presidential candidate would say about health care:

We're going to have to, if you're very old, we're not going to give you all that technology and all those drugs for the last couple of years of your life to keep you maybe going for another couple of months. It's too expensive... so we're going to let you die.

And of course the more prominent apostles of the death cult's moral code are merely reflecting the white papers and scholarly assessments of the "experts," as exemplified by Michael Lind's eminently "moderate" critique of the issue of health care rationing at Salon, back in October 2012. The talk among some Obama administration officials, such as "car czar" Steven Rattner in a New York Times op-ed, about the need to ration care for the weak and old, is insufficient, argues Lind. (Both Rattner and Lind are members of the leftist New America Foundation.) Rather, Lind suggests that while rationing "may be defended in some cases" -- Rattner's op-ed begins, "We need death panels" -- the most comprehensive solution is for government to set and control all prices for healthcare throughout the public and private spheres, as has been "tried and tested" in "all other advanced countries."

Thus, rationing care is just one very sensible part of a multifaceted solution; the value of denying basic property rights and voluntarism, however, must not be neglected. See how reasonable all of this can be made to sound, if only one ignores the logical perversity at the center of it?

As that perversity is so pervasive in today's public discourse on healthcare, perhaps it has become somewhat obscure. Let us state it clearly: the advocates of government-controlled healthcare wish to create a legal monopoly on the provision of treatment to the sick, and then to deny treatment to some on the grounds that "we" cannot afford to offer treatment to everyone.

When Robert Reich says "we're not going to give you all that technology and all those drugs for the last couple of years of your life," he is beginning from the assumption that "we" -- i.e., the government -- are the only possible or legitimate source of "that technology and those drugs."

Read More: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/01/the_logic_o...

• Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2013/01/27 21:21:01 (edited)
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +14
    talk about just another disingenuous post.

a modicum of digging and "poof" we present THE CONTEXT.
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/...
    "In an audio recording from a September 2007 speech to an audience at the UC Berkeley, Reich reveals what he believes an honest liberal presidential candidate would say about health care. "

Reich continues:
    [..]I'll actually give you a speech made up entirely, almost on the spur of the moment, of what a candidate for president would say if that candidate did not care about becoming president. In other words, this is what the truth is and a candidate will never say, but what a candidate should say if we were in the kind of democracy where citizens were honored in terms of their practice of citizenship and they were educated in terms of what the issues were and they could separate myth from reality in terms of what candidates would tell them:

Leave it to a CON to NOT GET IT!

But I would be remiss if we didnt also present the other side of the story.

• TidBit 2013/01/28 17:09:55
  • Bolrog 2013/01/28 16:38:58
    Bolrog
    +3
    Liberal Progressives should be called liberal regressives to the days of Hitler. liberal fascism
  • Danielle 2013/01/28 15:54:42
  • Walt 2013/01/28 15:51:55
    Walt
    +3
    The overall goals of the communist agenda are served by eliminating the traditions carried forward by the older generation and by those living in non-urban settings.

To them, if you do not support their agenda, you deserve to die.
  • mich52 2013/01/28 15:12:41
  • ☆astac☆... mich52 2013/01/28 15:19:29
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +2
    My favorite clueless liberal
  • mich52 ☆astac☆... 2013/01/28 15:27:12
  • ☆astac☆... mich52 2013/01/28 15:28:40
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +2
    Well, you know, idiots like you are fun. So ill-informed, yet trying to use the big words you do not understand.
  • Tic-Toc 2013/01/28 11:26:31
    Tic-Toc
    +2
    I have said that from the start.
  • Mamaknows 2013/01/28 08:25:52
    Mamaknows
    +4
    There is a DEEP disrespect for human life that permiates our society.
    The aged...the infirm...the very young....anyone they deem to expensive or inconvent should just be dead.

Compassion for human life has taken a back seat to the ever popular.....save the brown nosed puppy...or the baby whales....but the child born with downs or trick21 or not perfect in everyway should be put down ohhhh no not the pitbulls trained to eat people to protect the meth house or pot field...that would be cruel!!
  • Tic-Toc Mamaknows 2013/01/28 11:27:59
    Tic-Toc
    +3
    And don't forget... "Let's get rid of them before they are born"
  • Messenger Tic-Toc 2013/01/28 20:42:36
  • Tic-Toc Messenger 2013/01/28 22:31:30 (edited)
    Tic-Toc
    +2
    But... If they keep it up with the Fetus then there will not be ANY Children.
  • Jay Theyme 2013/01/28 08:02:40
    Jay Theyme
    +5
    Ultimately there is a goal. A 'Utopia'. The Liberal-Progressives do have a 'brave new world' and that world will have a 'carousel' and yes it will be 'beautiful' and we can do a lot of speculating about the ways and means but it comes to this:
    - They hate God. They love death.
    This is satanic. It's the love of death. The end of life. Whether that is making abortion a 'woman's right' (and not the very death of women and as anti-maternal as you can get) or maybe its seeing a man's seed go.. not to a life giving womb.. but to feces or stomach acid. Whatever as long as it ensures no life.
    and already choosing to 'exit gracefully' is another 'holy' thing for liberal-progressives and they will fight for it.
    Ultimately, its satanic. It is anti-life. They hate God. Well their father does and so they are infused with it too.
  • Messenger Jay Theyme 2013/01/28 20:44:58
    Messenger
    +1
    What a ridiculous statement. It is christians that have the love affair with death and dying They worship it and dwell on it.

The 'hate god' statement is another proof of your pure ignorance. You canot hate something that does not exist.
  • Tic-Toc Messenger 2013/01/28 22:32:53
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    And HOW do you know God Does Not Exist? The Easter Bunny tell you?
  • Jay Theyme Messenger 2013/01/28 23:16:25
    Jay Theyme
    +1
    Christians don't do that.
    They love that death was overcome and worship He who resurrected from the dead and through Whom all can have everlasting life.
    They go on about 'new life' and 'eternal life' over and over again Sunday after Sunday.

You know its all good and well for you to decide "I'm going to say the OPPOSITE haha!" but try and use your head next time.
    That was just awful.
  • Transquesta 2013/01/28 07:49:10
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2013/01/28 07:36:59
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +5
    WHY? BECAUSE THE PROGRESSIVE THINK THE OLD & INFIRM ARE

NOT PRODUCTIVE ANYMORE BUT THEY COST MONEY TO KEEP THEM ALIVE.

THAT IS INHUMAN.
  • Transqu... LADY LI... 2013/01/28 07:50:12 (edited)
    Transquesta
    +5
    It's more accurately described as social Darwinism/Malthusianism. Something for which liberals have long blamed the 'right.'
  • LADY LI... Transqu... 2013/01/28 07:58:35
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +3
    THANKS, my DEAR! Do you remember the movies 'LOGAN RUN',

'SOYLENT GREEN?' The HORRORS ARE HERE TO STAY. EVERYONE WILL BE

OLD; NO ONE WILL ESCAPE OLD AGE.
  • Prairie Wind 2013/01/28 06:36:44
    Prairie Wind
    +3
    They're cheap and accustomed to already being spoon fed. That's why they'll let anyone older than them die.
  • kaZappoo 2013/01/28 03:45:53
    kaZappoo
    +2
    no matter which way it's interpreted ,,it means the same thing , only so much funds allocated for care for the terminal ILL (cancer etc ) , @ 70 + yrs old & a $70,000 oper & care for 5 yrs life expectancy would be deemed unnecessary ,,so comfort care ( pain mgmt ) ie. hospice

which is what their advisory panells are !

but they sell these panells as another name !
  • Tic-Toc kaZappoo 2013/01/28 11:30:31
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    obama himself said that when a woman asked him about her aged mother. "Maybe we should just give her a pill"
  • kaZappoo Tic-Toc 2013/01/29 03:13:54
    kaZappoo
    +2
    after he got his aunte a 80,ooo $ heart surgery ,,she was 80's something !
  • Messenger kaZappoo 2013/01/28 20:47:39
    Messenger
    +1
    Those death panets have been part of the American private insurence companies for decades. They are the ones who decide who get treatment and who does not. They are the ones who put ceilings on payments for health care and pre-existing conditions as well.

They have been around for a very long time.
  • kaZappoo Messenger 2013/01/29 03:16:19
    kaZappoo
    +1
    not true ,,,and not govt , mandated now !

you must be thinking in the UK .....!

there YES ,,,,,,go look at your sources of info. again !
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2013/01/28 02:03:15
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +3
    Uh oh............I'm extremely conservative except on this issue. I don't believe extraordinary measures should be taken on anyone over 70. HOWEVER, I don't believe that it should be mandated. It should left to the individual. I'm sick and tired of this phony government telling me what I can and cannot do that's none of their business.

I don't know about you, but I was born free and I won't bend to this liberal BS. I do what I want to do and I don't care if the government likes it or not. Screw `em.
  • BadDoggy Louisa ... 2013/01/28 02:26:01
  • kaZappoo BadDoggy 2013/01/28 03:55:42
    kaZappoo
    +3
    it's a matter right now of how much $$ the family want to donate to the doctor /pharmacy co . for meds & care needed ,and emotions involved with family

after this new care ins fully initiated ,,the govt. will decide who gets these meds ,

but you dont get the intent lousia is getting at here !

and I'm sure if it were your loved one & extreme emotions were involved ,,you'd feel the same way about sky is the limit for funding !

then your a level one & OR reactivated liberal back for some pay back on some conservs .

you were deactivated werent you for abuse & insults right ?

BTW what was your previous profile name ??
  • Messenger Louisa ... 2013/01/28 20:49:21
    Messenger
    If they should not be taken ov erthe age of 70, why should they be taken under the age of 1 yr old?

The live span in my family exceeds 95 years old so at 70 I can expect to live at lease 25 more years.
  • Louisa ... Messenger 2013/01/29 01:57:00
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    I NEVER said that I would personally mandate such a death squad. I don't care how old your family lives to........if they need a heart or kidney transplant they should be ashamed to take it!

As for babies.......do you realize that the treatment on premature infants can go over a million dollars? An infant born before full term was aborted for a reason. Instead of spending a million dollars to keep a one pound baby alive and having it live with cerebral palsy etc maybe they should be allowed to die. That's pretty sad, but not sadder than intentionally aborting a fetus.
  • tytyvyllus Louisa ... 2013/01/29 14:20:00
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    what???????? my father in law recently died at age 95; he drove a car, cared for himself and was an interesting if not brilliant conversationalist right up until the end; no one over seventy is outrageous; from your photo you don't look very far away from the age where you believe no extraordinary measures should be taken; careful.
  • Louisa ... tytyvyllus 2013/01/29 15:46:32
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    So you're saying that your father in law was very healthy. That's wonderful. So what's your point? Are you saying someone is proposing that this man should have been forced to go to a euthanasia parlor? Or you think someone was trying to kill him? I'm assuming that he received medical treatment sometime during the twenty years between 70 and 90.........So what's the problem?

You're right about my age. I'm 70 and I'm done with operations, would refuse chemo and am only accepting treatment that requires no hospitalization. And if I live to be 95 then that's fine. But if I need a new kidney.....no way!! If I have cancer? No treatment!
    +2
    I offer an alternative--literally. Alternative medicine. Everyone needs to turn to that, and fast. Because conventional medicine will utterly destroy itself with the Obama Paradigm.
  • Doreen Temlako... 2013/01/28 05:41:45
    Doreen
    +2
    Alternative medicine helps KEEP one from getting sick hence no need for all of this chemical cr@p that they prescribe to us to cover the symptom. Europe goes on the basis of alternative first then if needed conventional. I really wish we would start that.
  • Messenger Doreen 2013/01/28 20:53:50
    Messenger
    Alternative medicine does nothing at all. It helps the weak minded and is nothing but placebos.

For people who are really sick you need a real doctor not a charlotan.
  • Doreen Messenger 2013/01/31 07:24:16
    Doreen
    A "real" doctor pumps you full of chemicals that eases the symptoms and causes many more health problems then the "real" doctors get lots of money from your suffering. Alternative medicine is to do things and use things to help keep you FROM getting sick in the first place but some people do not know that simple fact. I sure hope you do not exercise and eat healthy food or step a foot into a health food store because that is a part of alternative medicine. It sure is funny that people call using natural foods, organic foods, high quality vitamins, and exercise alternative medicine. I am in no way saying that chemical drugs should not be used at all because they do have their place but it should be a last resort and not just passed out like candy as it is now.
  • cheetahlover156 2013/01/28 01:32:11
    cheetahlover156
    +3
    Well they don't have problems killing unborn children so why should they care about others?
  • granada dudeUsuck 2013/01/28 05:10:13
    granada
    +1
    There're tons of evidence that syria war is a sectarian war, islamic extremists are trying to overthrow a much tolerant secular government. The rebels have made many heinous crimes, public executions, tortures, murders, even beheadings...... What kind of "uprising people" those rebels are? Actually they are quasi Al Qaeda, So you liberals are supporting and sponsoring terrorists.

Liberals' Arab Spring bubble has already been busted by a youtube video.

2014/10/30 13:00:14