Why are liberals so unhappy all the time?

☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2013/02/23 00:17:22
Arthur Brooks, a professor of business and government at Syracuse University, finds that conservatives are twice as likely as liberals to say they're happy. That's not necessarily because of their politics but because they are statistically more likely to be married, go to church, and be optimistic about their future—boosting personal happiness. For liberals, the rates are lower.

Liberals are more likely to feel like victims and feel that collective action is the best way to make things happen. That may be right, but it's a frustrating way to live. The Democratic Party is a coalition of oppressed groups. These are legitimate grievances in a lot of cases, but that does not make for a happy party.

So is this book another thing for liberals to feel bad about?
It shouldn't be. There's something like 17 million happy liberals in America. America is a happy country notwithstanding its politics. But there is a political breakdown. If we understand why certain groups have the happiness edge, there's no reason other groups can't get it, too. Liberals shouldn't read this book and say, "Hey, the reason I'm unhappy is because I'm evil and wrong." There is no claim that conservatives are better or righter. But it's undeniable that there is something conservatives have in their lives that makes them happier than liberals.

http://adrianvance.blogspot.com/2011/12/liberals-are-unhappy-...

http://mobile.usnews.com/news/articles/2008/05/05/why-conserv...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=BABC...

• KoAm 2013/02/23 01:08:23
    No surprise there.
    KoAm
    +15
    Brooks also did research a few years back that found that conservatives and Christians were far more charitable with their time and money than their less-religious, secular counterparts.

I hope I don't get any replies to this saying something like, "Well, I'm a liberal and I'm very generous!" I'm sure you are, but this is what Brooks found about the OVERALL population.

Individual situations don't refute findings about overall society.

• nothingbutthetruth 2013/03/10 10:21:36
    I'm a liberal and I refute these facts, because all the liberals on sodahead ...
    nothingbutthetruth
    If you think Liberals are not happy, you might be right in a sense because Liberals like Liberty to pursue happiness, equality, freedom, prosperity and the right to vote but Republicans / Conservatives hate to see that happen and want to take them all away. So it's no co-incident if you think Liberals are not happy. Who would under any circumstances to such demonizing! Republicans can make anybody unhappy with their demonizing! Does that answer your stupid question?
  • wale63 2013/02/27 03:00:29
    It's because....
    wale63
    +1
    They do not think logically.
    They construct their maladjusted view based on
    1- EMOTION
    2- PRE CONCEIVED but unproven ideas. They form their conclusions first and then distort facts to bend around them.
  • Butterfly wale63 2013/02/27 03:26:30
    Butterfly
    +2
    Yes, that is what they do...^5
    They make up a story,,keep repeating it, and then believe their OWN LIES. LOL
  • nothing... wale63 2013/03/10 10:23:31
    nothingbutthetruth
    No, it's because you are too stupid to see reality and admit to the truth!
  • wale63 nothing... 2013/03/10 15:26:06
    wale63
    I notice that there are a lot of leftists on this MB who want their absurd comments to go unchallenged and untested ,even when they make the most absurd statements advocating ridiculous and discredited ideas, LIKE YOU!!
  • nothing... wale63 2013/03/12 04:10:31
    nothingbutthetruth
    Well, I don't "LIKE YOU!"(@Y@)
  • wale63 nothing... 2013/03/12 14:48:38
    wale63
    THAT demonstrates the absurdity of liberals.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
    William F. Buckley, Jr.
  • nothing... wale63 2013/04/01 01:13:56
    nothingbutthetruth
    Well, talking about absurdness, yours is a run for the game!
  • wale63 nothing... 2013/04/01 14:59:30
    wale63
    The word is absudity, NOT absurdness.,
    YOU offer all illogical emotion and NO factual information.
    Typical sad lefty loon.
    Andy
  • nothing... wale63 2013/04/02 04:19:21
    nothingbutthetruth
    It doesn't matter how I put the word, so long as you understand what I meant, and It seems to me you did, so just move on(:
  • wale63 nothing... 2013/04/02 17:14:13
    wale63
    People will judge you by the words you use, both correct and incorrect.
    About liberals:
    Add+1 They do not think logically.
    1- EMOTION
  • MtDuffer 2013/02/25 04:45:25
    No surprise there.
    MtDuffer
    Maybe they aren't getting their fair share of freebees. Maybe they just hide the truth anymore about they way the President is forcing his way through Congress. Maybe the Libs are finding out that their rights are slowly being taken away. I could go on, but I won't bore you anylonger.
  • Butterfly MtDuffer 2013/02/27 03:28:12
    Butterfly
    We could hope that, but they are too THICK HEADED and in denial,,,to see ANYTHING. It is a form of mental illness, and that is how you have to treat it. Sociopaths and narcissists.
  • nothing... Butterfly 2013/03/10 10:29:40
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    Anybody with mental illness or sociopath is you! Otherwise you won't have think such a statement like that could make sense unless there a relevant reason other than your stupid believe.
  • nothing... MtDuffer 2013/03/10 10:27:00
    nothingbutthetruth
    Part of your comment makes sense, the other part sounds too contradicting to make clearly. Can you bring it much clearly to me, if you don't mind(:
  • MtDuffer nothing... 2013/03/21 05:23:55
    MtDuffer
    What part do you mean?
  • nothing... MtDuffer 2013/04/01 01:15:27
    nothingbutthetruth
    I am sure your have gotten more freebees than anyone can imagine! Did you give back those freebees checks to President Bush when he had issued them out? I betcha you didn't!
  • MtDuffer nothing... 2013/04/01 05:49:48
    MtDuffer
    Well, believe it or not I have yet to received a freebee from any President. Well, unless you count my VA check because I served my country in '68-'69. Now, if you do, I apologize for doing that. Would you feel any better if I returned that money?
  • Digman14 2013/02/24 23:11:12
    It's because....
    Digman14
    +2
    some conservative's viewpoints are so stupid, they make me lose faith in humanity.
  • Butterfly Digman14 2013/02/27 03:31:28
    Butterfly
    You are so funny.. all of 19 and a male. You don't KNOW any conservative viewpoint. Empty all of your pockets; GIVE IT ALL TO YOUR NEIGHBORS...OR ANY ILLEGAL YOU SEE. Then, try to live,,,,yourself. Do you pay a mortgage/rent? Car payment? Buy grocery's,,,Pay your own medical? or, DO YOU LIVE AT HOME? Do you know Winston Churchill? Great man.

.
    It seems that Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell, both having begun life
    as Marxists, prove the brilliance of Winston Churchill when he said,“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ,,,,,,,conservative at forty,,,,,,,, you have ......no brain.”
  • Digman14 Butterfly 2013/02/27 17:26:54
    Digman14
    +1
    Because my age is the only thing that determines my intelligence or political experience. For all you know, I could have been emancipated, left home at 16 and bought my own apartment. Age is such a minute factor in someone's intelligence. Conservatives are the ones without brains, as they lack even the slightest understanding of economic or social progress.
  • nothing... Digman14 2013/03/10 10:33:53
    nothingbutthetruth
    You're so right about that again!
  • nothing... Butterfly 2013/03/10 10:32:46
    nothingbutthetruth
    But hey, if you don't have a heart, how the hell are your brain going to function! I told you, you was the crazy one!
  • nothing... Digman14 2013/03/10 10:30:10
    nothingbutthetruth
    Good point!
  • Cocktails 2013/02/24 21:59:32
    Cocktails
    +1
    That's because As usual conservatives are hideous liars. They would say they are happy, when it is very apparent, they are ALWAYS more than miserable, and I would eb too if I was a conservative. Same opinions all the time with no stimulating thought..ever.
  • Butterfly Cocktails 2013/02/27 03:21:39 (edited)
    Butterfly
    +1
    Totally backwards. Just posting this is a hideous lie by ,,,YOU. Just deal with the fact you are the liars and the unhappy ones. This is a general statement. Even those on the yearly corrupt list, are always,,,MORE democrats then republicans. That means, you / left/ dems,,,are the liars. What FACTS do you have? NONE. lol
    Then a study was done on people who have a faith, went to church; they are happier then the rest of the people. Most dems now, are ATHEISTS. Three times ,at the DNC, the left/ dems, DENIED CHRIST at their convention. Again, you are the more hideous liars. Ask, me anything. Your obama has been on the corrupt list since 2006, and the FBI was investigating him, when he became president; by voter fraud..TWICE. I have facts, you want to block me? Or learn?
    Are you stimulated? The FACTS, cannot change; we keep hoping the LEFT will finally absorb them, that is why they don't change,,,FACTS DON'T CHANGE, The left posts a LIE;,,we correct with real information. You , the left,,,IGNORES the information. Even, with words from obama's OWN MOUTH on vedio and TV programs. You deny, deny, deny, attack, then lie some more.
  • Cocktails Butterfly 2013/02/27 04:54:24
  • nothing... Cocktails 2013/03/10 10:38:19
    nothingbutthetruth
    Who side are you on?
  • nothing... Cocktails 2013/03/10 10:38:58
    nothingbutthetruth
    Now, I know who side you're on(:
  • nothing... Butterfly 2013/03/10 10:37:26
    nothingbutthetruth
    No, you are the one who has all upside down which is a customary for Republicans! They only way they know is backward and downward!
  • Cocktails nothing... 2013/03/11 01:31:57
    Cocktails
    I'm not a Republican!! God FORBID!!! I actually HAVE a brain!
  • Bob Cocktails 2013/02/27 16:10:53
  • Cocktails Bob 2013/02/27 16:59:28
    Cocktails
    +1
    Are you married to Butterfly?? You 2 must be REALLY miserable.
  • Bob Cocktails 2013/02/28 13:36:14 (edited)
    Bob
    I'd rather be married to a conservative than a psycho Liberal.
  • Cocktails Bob 2013/03/02 01:57:12
    Cocktails
    +1
    Figures. 2 closed minds are better than one. You 2 are pathetic.
  • Bob Cocktails 2013/03/02 16:11:08
    Bob
    Rather have common sense than an idiot.
  • Cocktails Bob 2013/03/03 04:58:55
    Cocktails
    +1
    If that's your definition of common sense, better check the Webster. You're on the wrong page.
  • Bob Cocktails 2013/03/03 05:03:24
    Bob
    It stated that Liberals are stupid imbeciles, that don't have a clue and their heads are stuck in the sand.
  • Cocktails Bob 2013/03/06 00:08:37
    Cocktails
    +1
    You are too ignorant to continue to communicate with. That's the problem with "your type". Ignorant with a closed mind. The worst combo.
  • nothing... Cocktails 2013/03/10 10:41:10
    nothingbutthetruth
    Good! You hit the idiot right on the head!

2014/11/25 22:04:48