Why are children so violent these days?

Concerned CITIZEN/J Dean 2010/03/16 16:44:56
Is it the video games they are playing or the movies they are watching or what? video games playing movies watching

• Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2010/03/16 16:51:45
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +11
    I'm tired of people blaming the way children are on the media. Its bad parenting. I grew up playing video games and watching violent movies. When I was five I was already watching "It" and "Child's Play" and I was a very unviolent child.

My dad was a good parent. And I know the difference between what I can and can't do versus what I see on T.V. Maybe some of these parents should get off their lazy asses and do some "parenting". Just a thought.

• Beth XD ♥ 2010/04/03 23:05:35
    Beth XD ♥
    I've got an alternative question for you: Why are PEOPLE so violent these days... I'll tell you, the economy and war... and pollution... and partially the media... and bad parenting... and stress... and hunger. Would you like me to continue? No? ok
  • moomoof 2010/03/20 22:00:51
    moomoof
    +1
    because their parents suck not because of video games or whatever you parents want to pass the buck on others sorry your the one in charge and if something is wrong it is your fault no one else's
  • Kenny 2010/03/18 21:31:05
    Kenny
    +1
    if it was media causing violence, would we not all be killing eachother? come on, we all have watched our fair share of slasher movies.

It seems logical to me that it is a lack of guidance, from the parents side, mainly. but hey, maybe depression? stress due to struggles? heck, i don't know
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2010/03/18 02:54:17
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    Its not the media.
  • I_heart_Alucard 2010/03/17 08:43:08 (edited)
    I_heart_Alucard
    +1

Very intelligent speech, you may learn something.

Also, I think I speak for many here that our parents watched old violent Tom & Jerry cartoons and old westerns. Those were extremely violent, yet they turned out fine.

With that in mind, I seriously doubt media is entirely to blame.
  • The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck No... 2010/03/17 04:54:20
    The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck Norris]
    +1
    It's a combination of media and poor parenting. I've played a lot of video games and watched a lot of TV and movies over the years, but my parents always made sure that I knew the line between reality and fiction. If a child cannot understand the difference between the two or cannot establish the idea that such violence is harmful and wrong in real life, then he should not be allowed access to that kind of media. That's just my take, however,
  • R.P. Bliss.::ρнαɛт::.►Ѳиɛ Ħιт Яαɢɛ Ǫʋιт◄
    +2
    Neither. Bad parenting=bad kids.
  • Hello u got Mail 2010/03/17 04:07:13
    Hello u got Mail
    +2
    its thier upbringing and parental influence, they will only react to what they are taught!!!
  • Ash 2010/03/17 01:56:24 (edited)
    Ash
    +1
    I blame television and their family on how they act around the children
  • Nature Boy: The Naked One 2010/03/16 23:11:06
    Nature Boy: The Naked One
    +2
    I blame people themselves!
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2010/03/16 22:55:44
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +2
    It's not video games or television. It's lack of parenting. Sure kids might get ideas from television or video games, but it's the parents' responsibility to teach their kids right from wrong, and a lot of them just don't. I grew up watching violent television programs and playing bloody video games. I'm not a violent individual, and I was not a violent child. I was very quiet, timid, and introverted. I'm telling you, it's lack of parenting. People can't let the television raise their kids and expect them to learn anything. They have to take an active role.
  • Ghostlyhaunt 2010/03/16 22:52:40
    Ghostlyhaunt
    +3
    it's the parents fault.. no morals, no sense of right and wrong, do as you please I don't care, here's the tv occupy your time I don't have time for you.. If you don't have time for your children don't have them in the first place..
  • crotchrot 2010/03/16 22:03:16
  • ~Doll Princess~ 2010/03/16 21:59:21
    ~Doll Princess~
    +4
    It's the parenting. I grew up watching Horror movies, playing fighting games, and all that stuff...The most violent I am is in my art and writing. In real life, I am told to be really sweet. So, I don't think it's the media,but the parenting that's at fault...
  • Lady Jules ♥♥ in Lestat I trust ♥♥
    +3
    It's definitely bad parenting. Parents should be very active in their children's lives. They should know what their children are watching, who they are talking to or hanging out with, what they are doing online, what video games they play and what they are reading.

If it's something inappropriate then it needs to be taken away from the kids.

I've seen many a kid that needs to be taken out to the woodshed. Notice how when parents did that there wasn't as much violence.
  • Oceana_Mordecai 2010/03/16 18:49:30
    Oceana_Mordecai
    +1
    It's both. Children watch t.v. and they think that the things that the people do on there they can do too. So they naturally go out and try it. Its the same thing with video games. I was little once, I know how it goes. Parents are contributers too. But its not just the parents.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2010/03/16 17:22:47
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +4
    I think it's a combination of thing like discipline and not teaching the consequence of their action. To blame media would be like blaming Indians for crime before TV.
  • Isabel-Publius 2010/03/16 17:17:18
  • anh14662 2010/03/16 16:52:45
    anh14662
    +4
    personally, i think its becouse kids don't get enough disipline. from what my dad told me, when he was a kid if you did something you weren't supposed to you would get your ass beat. now its either a d-hall(wich doesn't do a damn thing) or you get grounded or something like that. personally, i think someone would learn to behave if they knew if they would get there ass beat. lol
  • ~Doll P... anh14662 2010/03/16 22:00:16
    ~Doll Princess~
    +2
    Hell yeah.XD I got my ass beat when I was kid, and I rarely ever do anything bad. XD
  • Artemis... anh14662 2010/03/16 22:57:46
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    Damn right. I saw my sister get her ass beat often enough as a child that I knew better than to misbehave.
  • Vault Dweller 101 ~In Flame... 2010/03/16 16:52:14 (edited)
    Vault Dweller 101 ~In Flames I Trust~
    +3
    its NOT games or movies, it's the way they are raised whether its a bad neighborhood or bad parents
  • ~Doll P... Vault D... 2010/03/16 22:00:43
    ~Doll Princess~
    +1
    Hm..I don't think a Bad neighborhood is a good cop out either. I grew up in bad neighborhoods all throughout my life.
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +11

• Annie Raindro... 2010/03/16 17:10:06
    Annie
    The media has a lot to do with it, so does medications. As for bad parenting - The Government has made it so that children can do whatever they want without fear of discipline.
  • Raindro... Annie 2010/03/16 17:14:22
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +8
    Those children don't need to be on medication. Teachers tried to tell my Dad that my brother had ADD. No, he didn't. He was just a normal hyper kid. With discipline he turned out fine. Discipline doesn't just mean being "beaten" or spanked. I was rarely ever spanked, and only spanked in extreme situations. There are other types of discipline that work well. Just most parents don't know how or when to use them.

So no, it's not medication, and it's not the media. It's lack of parenting. Parents think that the tv and video games are the new babysitters for their children and they don't take the time to explain and get it through their heads that what they see on the T.V. and what happens in real life are two different things.
  • Annie Raindro... 2010/03/16 17:33:11
    Annie
    I hate to argue with you; but parents have been put in bad predicament because even if spankings are not your choice of discipline; anything you say can and Will be used against you in a court of law.
    I had very few spankings in my life, too. There are other forms of discipline but when I child knows they can do whatever they want and you can't do a damn thing about it or they can have you arrested; people give up. Medications do cause children and adults to go crazy. Some foods do also. Some Medical Problems do too. But the media makes it all worse by making a big sensation out of it.
  • tebearc... Raindro... 2010/03/16 23:50:06
    tebearcalvary
    +2
    i grew up with older brothers who always had violent video games/movies and let me play them, but i ended up as a nonviolent teen. parents suing video game companies for their children's violence is the parent's way of shifting the blame
  • Raindro... tebearc... 2010/03/16 23:50:50
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    My point exactly :)
  • tebearc... Raindro... 2010/03/17 20:09:58
    tebearcalvary
    :d
  • Spent 2010/03/16 16:50:57
    Spent
    +2
    Kids have always been violent. The media just over hypes things now days.
  • Megan ~ PHAET 2010/03/16 16:46:54
    Megan ~ PHAET
    +4
    Because they are either angry or they're mean. Simple answer.

Also, I guess their peers can affect how they react.

2014/09/22 20:27:48