Who's the Real 'Looney Tune': Chris Matthews or Glenn Beck?

Politics 2011/02/04 16:00:00
It's like Ali-Frazier up in here! If Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier were pasty, middle-aged blowhards.

Fox's Glenn Beck and MSNBC's Chris Matthews are taking turns savaging each other on their respective television programs, and don't look for either of the doughy barkers to back down any time soon.

A week ago, Beck went apoplectic on Mathews after Matthews called Tea Party fave Michele Bachmann a "balloon head" for her unique version of American history. Beck administered a scorching screed:

"You sir, are a balloon head that was taught by a balloon head and all you did because you're a balloon head was sit in your stupid balloon head Ivy League classroom and be indoctrinated by a balloon head and never ever used your balloon head to ask an intelligent question of the balloon head in the tweed jacket! You self-sanctimonious, self-important balloon head, America has had enough. Do your own homework."

This week, Matthews took issue with Beck's commentary on the turmoil in Egypt. First, he reviewed a recent Beck broadcast, in which the frantic yakker imagines a worst-case scenario: the installation of an Islamic caliphate and the spread of uprising throughout Europe.

"This is," Matthews started, "I do not use the term lightly, looney tunes."

Later, Matthews devoted his Let Me Finish closing segment to Beck, who he calls a "major exploiter of fear":

"Today’s number one exploiter of fear is Glenn Beck. Beck thinks he’s Bishop Sheen without a cape and collar. But, yes, he’s got blackboards and a kind of odd instructive manner that appeals to people who don’t have the time to dream up worse-case scenarios but are sometimes ready to give a listen to his brand of conspiracy ...

"Yesterday, when he was -- we were giving you the latest news from Cairo and the White House, Beck was preaching the coming of the caliphate - - that’s right -- the coming of the caliphate ...

"Why is Beck selling this fear? Because he doesn’t want to deal with the problem at hand. It’s too tricky for him, as it is for most of us.

"So, what are Beck and the troublemakers doing? They’re scaring people into a frenzy over the coming of a global caliphate. And to what effect? To fight for Mubarak? To place blame we don’t? To encouraged Mubarak to fight the people in the streets?

"No, I’ll bet it’s to begin a long campaign of fear, something to talk about on the radio, something to scare people with -- like Beck’s claims that Barack Obama is a secret racist and we should shoot our political rivals in the head, the forehead to be exact, he says ...

"Does anybody check this guy’s copy over there? Is FOX saying that they believe this stuff, this argument, the latest, that we should arm up personally, build our bunkers and vote against Democrats or any Republican that doesn’t side with Beck and Bachmann and the rest of this band of looney tunes?"

Read More: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/02...

• ASPEN 2011/02/04 16:14:17
    Chris Matthews
    ASPEN
    +73
    Matthews is a joke. Why anyone would take that vile hateful lying buffoons word is reprehensible. Matthews is rude and in fact a BALLOON HEAD. Those who chose Glenn Beck as being a loon never ever watched his show. If they did they would realize what he says is backed up with facts. Wake up people and do your homework.

• Barbara... Rich 2011/02/28 07:30:49
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    Which conspiracy theory are you talking about? Beck lists his research and asks his listeners to do their own research. Beck called the shot about the middle east that we are now witnessing two years ago. Mathew's tingling leg keeps acting up.
  • Rich Barbara... 2011/03/05 17:14:27
    Rich
    +1
    I would call Beck's work "research" only in the most generous, loosest sense of the term.
  • Barbara... Rich 2011/03/06 05:58:20
    Barbara Hasler
    Sorry Rich, the man is a research guru. Check his sources on his website. He not only has written documentation but video to back up what he says. The research for a Doctorate thesis is child's play compared to the work Beck does.
  • LaTanya 2011/02/27 17:27:44
    Glenn Beck
    LaTanya
    There is definitely something wrong with his brain. He's got to be one of the worst fearmongers ever. If you want to learn more about Glen Beck rent to movie A Face in the Crowd starring Andy Griffith.
  • ☆Ed☆ 2011/02/27 17:18:55
    Chris Matthews
    ☆Ed☆
    +5
    Matthews' will never live down his 'tingling leg' crapola. Matthews is one of the only people that would make Keith Olbermann appear sane.

While Beck tends to get on my nerves at times, he's nothing compared to the complete lunacy of Matthews !!! And, the thing I have always admired with Beck is how adamant he is with his listeners NOT to believe his stances, but to "DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH" !!! I cannot say that I've EVER heard a liberal recommend to their listeners to do their own research !!!
  • Sandy ☆Ed☆ 2011/02/27 17:56:57
    Sandy
    +1
    Most liberals don't have to be reminded to do their own research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • ☆Ed☆ Sandy 2011/02/27 17:58:25
    ☆Ed☆
    +2
    I know, they simply ignore research in favor of creating their own facts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Don't l... ☆Ed☆ 2011/02/27 18:22:29
    Don't let em' win
    +3
    It is very important to do your own research! And more importantly, use critical thinking to analyze the "facts". In a world where scams and lies are the norm, you must be able to read through the BS!
  • ☆Ed☆ Don't l... 2011/02/27 18:57:49
    ☆Ed☆
    +2
    I couldn't agree more !!! So many of the self proclaimed "experts" expect their listeners to be like lemmings, and the idea that any of them would do as Beck does, and actually challenge his audience to do their own research, completely escapes them. (It may not actually 'escape' them, far more likely that it TERRIFIES them.)
  • Dr Ed M... Don't l... 2011/02/27 19:36:10
    Dr Ed Miller
    +1
    I totally agree. Facts for some are so dangerous to read!!
  • Oltom ☆Ed☆ 2011/02/27 20:22:36
    Oltom
    +1
    Good comment and worth a rave!
  • ☆Ed☆ Oltom 2011/02/27 21:10:23
    ☆Ed☆
    Thank you sir.
  • MadAsHEck 2011/02/27 17:06:51
    Chris Matthews
    MadAsHEck
    +5
    Beck may be somewhat theatrical, but so far I havent seen anything he has been saying come up False. As an example his take originally on th stimulus biull was that it was a big bill that was too costly, and would never suceed. Straight from the CBO recently:

"So the $821 billion cost of the stimulus, divided by the maximum of 3.6 million jobs the CBO believes were saved or created, equals $228,055 for each job, according to CNS News.

Taking the 1.4 million figure for jobs created or saved means each job cost $586,428.

Footnote: When President Obama signed the stimulus bill, the national unemployment rate was 8.2 percent. In January 2011, it was 9 percent. "

He said that we are under attack by the Muslim Brotherhood and they were gaining a foothold in the USA. March 3 one of their most radical is calling for AMerica to beome a Muslim State with a march on the Whitehouse:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

Point is havent seen much from CM that actually came to pass.
  • ☆Ed☆ MadAsHEck 2011/02/27 17:21:10
    ☆Ed☆
    +2
    I couldn't agree more !!! And, when has ANY liberal SPECIFICALLY told their listeners to do their OWN research?? Yet Beck does CONTINUALLY !!!
  • Dr Ed M... ☆Ed☆ 2011/02/27 19:37:03
    Dr Ed Miller
    +1
    It only adds more credibility to what he says!!!
  • ☆Ed☆ Dr Ed M... 2011/02/27 21:14:26
    ☆Ed☆
    I completely agree !!! Not once has he EVER asked anyone to take his word for anything that he says. And that being the case, I believe shows incredibly higher intelligence, and infinitely more trustworthy !!!
  • CookieMonsterFL 2011/02/27 16:52:38
    Glenn Beck
    CookieMonsterFL
    +3
    Glenn back totally NUTS
    So are the NUTS who are watching him
  • ☆Ed☆ CookieM... 2011/02/27 19:01:46
    ☆Ed☆
    With a comment like that, it would lead any rational thinker to believe that you're a STAUNCH Alan Grayson FRUIT LOOP !!!
  • Bronar 2011/02/27 16:38:58
    Glenn Beck
    Bronar
    +1
    I think Glen wins by a nose, but they are both pathetic spinners.
  • les_gvt 2011/02/27 16:20:37
    Chris Matthews
    les_gvt
    +3
    The last original thought Matthews had was flushed down the toilet

Whereas almost everything Beck as said has either already occurred, or in the process of happening
  • carolinmd 2011/02/27 16:15:02
    Chris Matthews
    carolinmd
    +3
    Matthews gets overly worked up about certain GOP personalities, such as Michelle Bachmann, who he just can't mention without foaming at the mouth and spitting as he speaks he loathes her so much. Of coarse there is always Sarah Palin, and anything Tea Party that can also work him into a frenzy. Then when the switches to matters about B.O., he just settles back and lets those famous leg tingles he gets from that man take over.
  • Fillmore 2011/02/27 15:57:59
    Glenn Beck
    Fillmore
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2011/02/27 15:51:12
    Chris Matthews
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +2
    It's neck & neck! But I gotta go with Chris Matthews. While Beck gives us the worst case scenario on the economy, rising global unrest and an islamic calaphate (AKA: The Coming Insurection), I have never heard him spew hate and mallace towards anyone in the two years I've been watching him. Chris Matthews on the other hand has nothing but mallace towards anyone he disagrees with. Whether it be Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, John Boehner or Sarah Palin, Chris Matthews displays utter contempt for those people. In that, he loses his credibility.
  • Hopscotch 2011/02/27 15:48:41 (edited)
    Glenn Beck
    Hopscotch
    +3
    This is another trick question! The answer is rather obvious. Oh, I'm on Sodahead,
    "I'm in bed with the enemy".
  • overit 2011/02/27 15:35:38
    Chris Matthews
    overit
    +2
    Chris Matthews hands down!!!!!!!!!!! What a hypocritical idiot......I DO NOT like him at all!
  • Marshal Artz 2011/02/27 15:26:10 (edited)
    Glenn Beck
    Marshal Artz
    +4
    This has got to be a joke, But Soda Head seams to be loaded with Republicans and Tea Baggers, So they will Giggle. This type of question will bring them all out. Final comment, If Harold Hill, also known as Glenn Beck had a brain he would probably take it out and play with it.
  • Loree 2011/02/27 15:22:39
    Chris Matthews
    Loree
    +4
    Chris Matthews is so un or mis informed on the topics he discusses, it's unbelievable. Or maybe he's just losing his grip on reality.
  • Chicxulub 2011/02/27 15:08:44
    Glenn Beck
    Chicxulub
    +5
    Glenn Beck is a clown. He's a fool, a dangerous fool. I believe he is dumber than Sarah Palin, if that is possible.
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/02/27 15:05:25
  • Chicxulub Brian ☮... 2011/02/27 15:39:30
    Chicxulub
    +2
    It's idiots'...
    and choose...
  • Brian ☮... Chicxulub 2011/02/27 16:55:52
  • Chicxulub Brian ☮... 2011/03/01 03:04:47
    Chicxulub
    Blow me you punk. Anytime, anyplace. Plural possessive would be idiots'. A singular idiot would be Brian's.
  • Trish 2011/02/27 15:05:05
    Chris Matthews
    Trish
    +3
    Glenn Beck has been right more times than not.
  • Bruiser 2011/02/27 14:47:23
    Glenn Beck
    Bruiser
    +3
    Honestly, I don't listen to either one of those guys but according to my future father-in-law, Glen Beck is the guy who is the devil himself dressed up in a human suit.
  • oakborn 2011/02/27 14:39:44
    Glenn Beck
    oakborn
    +3
    Beck is expecting to be put in an internment camp... I'd love to know where these camps he fears are.
  • Chicxulub oakborn 2011/02/27 15:40:05
    Chicxulub
    +2
    The sooner the better.
  • harry 2011/02/27 14:33:59
    Chris Matthews
    harry
    +3
    Actually Glenn Beck is not comparable.
    He belongs in to the department "mystery uncovered".
    Not into political rhetoric or opinions.
  • Timmy 2011/02/27 14:23:32
    Chris Matthews
    Timmy
    +2
    Shouldn't even have to think about.
  • Chicxulub Timmy 2011/02/27 15:40:36
    Chicxulub
    Obviously, you don't.
  • Marshal... Timmy 2011/02/27 15:51:47
    Marshal Artz
    I don't think you did.

2014/08/21 00:30:39