Who should I vote for President and why?

Welshtaff 2012/09/01 22:47:53
Vote for Obama and why
Vote for Romney and why
Vote for your choice and why

I’m totally confused! I have read, watched, posted and
written many items about the political future of America.

I have pissed off blacks, political radicals, Hispanics and
white people and probably many other people on Sodahead not knowing what
political affiliation they support.

All I was thinking was how can I make America a better place
to live and work in my minute way as an individual.

The political shorts on television by both party’s each
saying how better it would be if they held the Whitehouse and the houses of government,
it certainly has put me on a rollercoaster and only three more months to go to
the Presidential election.

So I look to the users of Sodahead for advice, who should I
vote for President and why?

• jeane 2012/09/01 22:59:58
    Vote for Romney and why
    jeane
    +19
    Our country is sorely hurting. We need a business friendly administration that loves our country, its people and traditions. Romney and Ryan are both God-fearing, patriotic, family men. They espouse the values that made our country America.

• johnmann81 2012/11/05 19:25:09
    Vote for your choice and why
    johnmann81
    I think that if anyone took history class in high school and knows why and how our country was founded that we are a long way from what was wanted for us. I think that if we are proud of our country we need to take a look at WHY our country was created and get back to it. None of our major political parties care about anything more then their own pocket books and a boost in their CAREER. I think we should put someone in office that is a true PUBLIC SERVANT and not a career politician.
  • Anna 2012/11/01 03:07:37
    Vote for Obama and why
    Anna
    If I tell you why, people will write back to me mad. He's helping fix up problems from George Bush's times to be honest and will make this round much better as a result. You can vote for Jill Stein if you wish. She's a doctor and will make this world 'green.' Romney will be worse than the Bush's if he wins. Even right now, he's not good. He just tries to keep out of arguments, a lot like Paul Ryan.
  • ghostrider 2012/10/02 04:06:08
    Vote for your choice and why
    ghostrider
    You don't ask o-t-h-e-r-s ... you listen to and read about their (pitiful) pitches and make up your o-w-n!!!!!! mind.
  • alw_ays 2012/09/24 03:01:50
    Vote for your choice and why
    alw_ays
    +1
    Part 1: If you vote for Romney or Obama you're voting for the system. Think carefully. Do you like the system? Do you like things the way they are? If you vote for one of these, your answer is yes. A third-party vote is a vote for something different. Know that if a third party is elected, there may be so little difference in the system you will wonder why you bothered, but know that if a third party is elected, both the Democrats and the Republicans will have to look long and hard at why they lost, and therein comes change. The 2016 election may bring back a Rep or Dem president, but they will be a different party.

Part 2: On the other hand, if you do support the system, please, choose Obama or Romney based on who will have the best Cabinet members. The president is just a figure head, and you're really under the governorship of the Department of State, Department of Education, Department of Homeland Security, etc. etc. No vote is for one man. Remember that, and you will feel less confused, less conflicted, and may actually reach a decision you can stand behind.

Part 3: For your third party ticket, may I suggest the Gary Johnson fellow? In my travels, he has more support than the Green Party candidate, and these two candidates are the only third parties on all fifty tickets. This is important, because if they're not on the ticket, they can't take the electoral votes--they won't get enough write-ins. It doesn't work that way.
  • klausd11 2012/09/22 03:47:03
    Vote for your choice and why
    klausd11
    Gary Johnson: Like Ron Paul only younger and already showed his mettle as a 2 time governor of New Mexico.
    The only one to repeal the "Patriot Act", NDAA. He wants to get rid of the income tax, which is one of the legs the FED stands on. Without the IRS, we're much freer to use a money of our choice (no tax on imaginary gains caused by the devaluation of the Dollar)
  • DefendnProtect 2012/09/21 18:53:20 (edited)
    Vote for your choice and why
    DefendnProtect
    +1
    Vote Gary Johnson.

The other two are for more debt spending and less liberty.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/09/09 04:20:56
    Vote for your choice and why
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    1. You're the only one who knows how you feel and what you think is important.
    2. You SHOULD vote for the person you think will be the best President of the U.S.
    3. You should NOT let other people make up your mind for you.
    4. If you think you'll get unbiased answers from most of the people on SH, you SHOULD see your doctor. :)
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/09/08 15:23:06
    Vote for your choice and why
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +2
    Vote your heart and conscious. Mine is for the constitution and liberty! this excludes the lamestream, corporate and bank owned puppets ;)
  • WiredButterfly 2012/09/04 22:50:09
    Vote for Romney and why
    WiredButterfly
    +1
    He has a solid financial record. He doesn't lie.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/04 22:49:24
    Vote for Romney and why
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Of the possible choices, Romney would be your best bet. He has a proven track record in Government, Industry, Finance and management. His ethics are solid.
  • gocar 2012/09/04 21:12:01
    Vote for Obama and why
    gocar
    +2
    If you want to prove to the world that America does not have a government for sale then you must vote Obama. The Koch brothers have given 100 million to elect a Republican. What does that tell you about taxes and corporations wanting their own way?
  • Black_Rose 2012/09/04 14:54:31
    Vote for your choice and why
    Black_Rose
    +4
    Vote for who you want to be President. Your vote could make the difference :)

Personally, I'm not voting because I don't care for either men who are running, and I'm not much for Politics
  • Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/04 14:14:47
    Vote for your choice and why
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +8
    I've lived throught the Perot effect, and I hesitate very much to do it again. Obama CANNOT win, but after reading this piece, I'm damned near ready to go full on tilting at windmills and pushing for a Johnson win.

Folks, the very base that was excited in our party - the TEA Party, the grassrooters, the youth, they all just got disenfranchised by the elitist arrogant bastards at the top. We can't give Romney control of the wheel. If he'll completely disregard a good chunk of his own party prior to election, what will King Romney do in terms of supporting the will of the people once in office? Oh hell no.

http://washingtonexaminer.com...
  • T A 2012/09/04 01:28:18 (edited)
    Vote for your choice and why
    T A
    +2
    Vote for yourself (i.e. don't vote). You are the only person who knows what's best for you, what you want and has the will to make that happen. A politician serves himself and those who paid for his campaign. Neither of those happen to be you.

Please also consider that when you vote for a politician you are essentially agreeing to comply with his wishes and you are willing to force those with whom you may disagree to also submit to his wishes. As well, you are agreeing to submit to the wishes of the opposition should you lose your gamble. For the past three terms the United States has had presidents who send people overseas to murder people in other countries. Whether your parents agree with that policy or not, they have had to financially support those murders. Whether you agree with it or not, you too will have to pay for those murders for many years to come.

Just as one may not give another an item he does not have, he may not delegate a right he does not have. An individual does not have the right to force you to work for them. Therefore, since one cannot delegate an authority one does not have to another, no one may force you to labor on his or anyone else's behalf. Voting for a politician is a denial of this truth since when one votes for a politician, one is voting to giv...

Just as one may not give another an item he does not have, he may not delegate a right he does not have. An individual does not have the right to force you to work for them. Therefore, since one cannot delegate an authority one does not have to another, no one may force you to labor on his or anyone else's behalf. Voting for a politician is a denial of this truth since when one votes for a politician, one is voting to give a certain individual the authority to use force take a portion of another's labor. It is also granting authority to an individual to use force to compel people to act against their will, even when it is peaceful. While one has the right to self defense, and may therefore delegate that right to another, one does not have the right to forbid those activities which are not fraud, theft or violence and thus one may not delegate such authority. However, all politicians violate these principles. It is impossible for them to do otherwise, even were they disinclined to do so, which they are not.

Let's assume that there is a 41/40/19 split for who people think should be president (according to the vote, which ignores children and non-voters even though they too will be affected by the decision). That would mean that 41% of the voting population (16% of the total population) chose a person to be president that 59% of the voting population (23.6% of the total population) did not want; with whose policies they disagreed. Is it reasonable that 16% of the total population may decide who is in charge of 84%, deciding how much of their labor they must hand over, what they must do and must not do? Is it reasonable that of those who believe in participation in this should be compelled to obey the decision of 41%? Is it reasonable that those who have no wish to participate in this and those who are disenfranchised (children, felons, etc.) be compelled to adhere to the dictates of one person chosen to rule over them by a tiny minority? [The 2008 election had 54% turnout of eligible voters. 53% of those who voted (21% of the total population) voted for Barack Obama)

Even a majority has no right to rule over a minority because they do not have the authority as individuals to do so, and as shown above, one cannot delegate what one does not possess. However, we are all told throughout our lives, from childhood onward, that "majority rules", "it's the will of the majority", and other such lies. How much more obscene is it when we see that it is never even a majority that makes such a willful and immoral decision to usurp the autonomy of the individual.

I would urge you to read No Treason by Lysander Spooner: http://lysanderspooner.org/no...

• JT For Political Reform 2012/09/03 15:44:10
    Vote for Romney and why
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    We've seen nothing coming from the Obama camp but finger pointing at Bush, the same tactic that FDR did, that got him elected 4 times after he did the same to Hoover. FDR made the great depression worse with his socialistic policies and Obama is going to do the same damn thing if he is re-elected. I'm not sure that Romney is the real answer, but I would rather give him a try, he has real life experience at making things happen, Obama has real life experience and moving his lips which in the Navy they used to say "loose lips sink ships", ours is sinking rapidly and more socialist debt will sink if for sure. We are going to go bankrupt under Obama, there is no doubt, look around. We may still go down under Romney/Ryan but I think we have a much better chance at survival with his ticket, and survival is the name of the game.
  • Muriel 2012/09/03 15:29:32
    Vote for your choice and why
    Muriel
    +1
    Because I'd like a true American in office, Not a communist figurehead!
  • Josh Robinson 2012/09/03 14:20:26
    Vote for your choice and why
    Josh Robinson
    +5
    Vote for Ron Paul/Gary Johnson... They aren't bound by campaign promises and cronie back scratching. Both would bring the troops home NOW... both would prevent QE3, both will attack the war on drugs/legalize Cannabis, Neither will go to war with Iran, Neither are ''Establishment Candidates'', Both have a record of voting for the right things and standing up to bad legislation both formally and informally.
  • the fuze 2012/09/03 13:26:43
    Vote for your choice and why
    the fuze
    +4
    Vote for who you think best represents your ideals.
  • redhorse29 2012/09/03 06:40:59
    Vote for your choice and why
    redhorse29
    +2
    Vote. No vote; your complaint is not worth hearing. Voters are a minority of those registered, which are a minority of eligible voters.
  • libertariosaur 2012/09/03 04:33:58 (edited)
    Vote for your choice and why
    libertariosaur
    +6
    Well, my opinion on voting and political action is that it can have some limited and short lived benefits. However it is much like the Elder Wand in harry potter. Harry destroyed it because when it gets in the wrong hands it is dangerous. Not only do liberals want the presidency but every other stripe in the political spectrum and they each think they have the right solutions. However well meaning we are, these top down solutions are usually rules imposed through the blunt force of government onto peaceful people. Humanities desire for political actions or imposing their societal solutions via government is part of the problem. However I recognize that like the Ents in the Lord of the Rings- the war is upon us. And it seems folly to sit on the side-lines while the country is being destroyed through political solutions. I would encourage you to vote for Gary Johnson. I know he will not win. However larger poll numbers will show a message. And third party votes can make a difference even if benefits aren't immediately observed. Now yes, once politicians see the third party vote is actually needed for them to win- they will pander. And we don't like just being pandered too. In fact this election holds a lot of pandering already. But I am hoping that with larger Libertarian Party ...
    Well, my opinion on voting and political action is that it can have some limited and short lived benefits. However it is much like the Elder Wand in harry potter. Harry destroyed it because when it gets in the wrong hands it is dangerous. Not only do liberals want the presidency but every other stripe in the political spectrum and they each think they have the right solutions. However well meaning we are, these top down solutions are usually rules imposed through the blunt force of government onto peaceful people. Humanities desire for political actions or imposing their societal solutions via government is part of the problem. However I recognize that like the Ents in the Lord of the Rings- the war is upon us. And it seems folly to sit on the side-lines while the country is being destroyed through political solutions. I would encourage you to vote for Gary Johnson. I know he will not win. However larger poll numbers will show a message. And third party votes can make a difference even if benefits aren't immediately observed. Now yes, once politicians see the third party vote is actually needed for them to win- they will pander. And we don't like just being pandered too. In fact this election holds a lot of pandering already. But I am hoping that with larger Libertarian Party votes, that some important discussions will be had. And people will start to open their eyes. Let's examine Mitt and Obama for a bit. Romney is supposedly better on economics and fiscal issues. However it doesn't really appear by much. For example- even though Romney opposes Obamacare he supports much of it's policies via his own statements. What he said he didn't support is the mandate. However he did after passing his mandate in Massachusetts say that his healthcare legislation should be a model for the national level. And Romenys healthcare overhaul hardly seemed to show admiration for the free-market. What proposals have come from Romenys side in decreasing spending he has offered will cut a bit from increased spending. They are trivial compared to Obama's proposals to also cut from increased spending. There are other supposed differences that are small but are played up by the two candidates and the media. Now could Romney surprise and govern further on the right in economics than I think? Sure, enough of his base republicans say they want such and Romeny is less likely to pass a primarily "regulation" type bill like Obama on wall street ect. Of course we know Obama is really cozy with Wall Street and Wall Street helped write the regulations. We also know the same Wall Street folks who funded Obama, also fund Romney. In some likelihood Obama may be less likeli to govern from the right economically. Now on personal liberty issues both Romney and Obama are bad considering the NDAA ect. However though Obama has flip flopped on gay marriage I tend to think he held his latter position all along. Obama did end don't ask don't tell. Compare this to Romney who says he would crack down on porn. Social liberties advantage goes to Obama. Next on foreign policy- Obama uses the drones killing innocent civilians. Romney would too. However who is more likely than the other to decide not to start a war on Iran for example. Obama I'd say. However I could also see Obama doing it. Romney could however be even more hostile in his foreign policy than Obama. Romney is more likely to make enemies in the world which can't be beneficial. He can't be good on free trade. His talk against Russia and China is tough but the cold war is over. Now Obama at least tried to appear to not be "pro-war". In regard to Obama's specific promises regarding Afghanistan and Iraq. He did actually work toward those via politifact http://www.politifact.com/tru... http://www.politifact.com/tru... Despite the rhetoric Obama is clearly not anti-war at all. They are both very statist. There is no predicting who's presidency would actually be worse. It probably depends on the circumstances and what they intend to do in their next term. Now what does Gary Jonson stand for? He stands for balancing the budget and slashing spending right away. And he stands for civil and personal liberties. No more NDAA. Let people govern their own lives. Smart foreign policy- don't take war so lightly. End our foreign boondogle in Afghanistan. And that is the language that conservatives use isn't it? That we should be able to make choices with how to best use our money ect. What about with our bodies and our love? I hope that if you don't want gays to marry or people to watch porn that you would recognize that there are much more important and pressing issues than imposing your top down solutions on to peaceful people who just want to live their lives. Thanks, :)
  • The Ban... liberta... 2012/09/04 07:24:29
    The Bantam Seditioner
    +5
    Wow...I couldn't have said that better myself! Well done!
  • klausd11 liberta... 2012/09/22 03:52:44
    klausd11
    +1
    A little long, but right on!
  • Deputy Chief 2012/09/03 03:00:30
    Vote for Romney and why
    Deputy Chief
    +3
    Because Obama is the worst President in history! Tripling our national debt without a budget. He is an Incompetent who demonstrates the desire to destroy our country!
    obama destroying our country
  • Purple ... Deputy ... 2012/09/05 02:26:17
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    The thing with someone like Obama, they don't even accept the responsibility for the damage. He'd have to acknowledge his wrong doing to recognize that he should be in handcuffs. This man isn't mentally there, nor do I think he's cureable enough to ever understand what he's doing.

Many people have said narcissim, and that may be true.
  • jubil8 ... Deputy ... 2012/09/09 04:11:49
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    That's no reason to vote for Romney!
  • Deputy ... jubil8 ... 2012/09/09 04:20:41
    Deputy Chief
    Okay I think you should vote for Obama, because he is going to raise MY taxes and raise your Entitlement Check! Sound right?
  • ghostrider Deputy ... 2012/10/02 04:11:32
    ghostrider
    NO president triples or 'anything' without a budget ... all monies spent have been appropriated by Congress ... there is no 'slush' fund ... the debt is 'borrowed' -- as approved by Congress ... remember the 'debt debate'???
  • Deputy ... ghostrider 2012/10/02 21:06:08
    Deputy Chief
    +1
    You Obama worshipers should remember that Obama failed as a leader to pass a budget yet spent more money than any presdent in HISTORY!!!!!

The American Dream: The following are 22 ways that the U.S. economy has gotten even worse since Barack Obama became president....
    #1 In January 2009, the official U.S. unemployment rate was 7.6 percent. Today it is 8.1 percent.
    #2 When Barack Obama took office, the number of "long-term unemployed" in the United States was approximately 2.6 million. Today, that number is up to 6.2 million.
    #3 When Barack Obama first became president, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States was $1.83. Today it is $3.79. This also affects the price of almost everything else that we buy.
    #4 In April 2009, the average U.S. household spent approximately $201 on gasoline. In April 2011, the average U.S. household spent approximately $369 on gasoline.
    #5 According to an article in the Daily Mail, the cost of a Memorial Day cookout was 29 percent higher this year than it was last year.
    #6 When Barack Obama was sworn in, there were nearly 32 million Americans on food stamps. Today, there are more than 44 million on food stamps.
    #7 According to the U.S. Census, the number of children living in poverty has gone up by about 2 million in just the past 2 y...

#7 According to the U.S. Census, the number of children living in poverty has gone up by about 2 million in just the past 2 years.
    #8 When Barack Obama took office, the U.S. national debt was 10.6 trillion dollars. Today it is 16.1 trillion dollars.
    #9 The federal government has borrowed 29,660 more dollars per household since Barack Obama signed the economic stimulus law three years ago.
    #10 During Barack Obama's first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined.
    #11 The combined debt of the major GSEs (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Sallie Mae) has increased from 3.2 trillion in 2008 to 6.4 trillion in 2011. Thanks to George W. Bush, Barack Obama and the U.S. Congress, U.S. taxpayers are standing behind that debt.
    #12 Under Obama, the U.S. trade deficit continues to grow. The trade deficit was about 33 percent larger in 2010 than it was in 2009, and the 2012 trade deficit is expected to be even bigger.
    #13 Only 66.8% of American men had a job last year. That was the lowest level that has ever been recorded in all of U.S. history.
    #14 Just since August, 2 million more Americans have left the labor force.
    #15 In 2010, more than a million U.S. families lost their homes to foreclosure for the first time ever, and that number is expected to go even higher in 2012.
    #16 The U.S. dollar has fallen by 17 percent compared to other major national currencies since 2009.
    #19 Faith in the U.S. dollar and in U.S. Treasuries is rapidly declining. The mainstream news is not reporting on it much, but right now the Chinese are rapidly dumping U.S. government debt. That is not a good sign.
    #20 When Barack Obama first took office, an ounce of gold was going for about $850. Today an ounce of gold costs about $1500.
    #21 Americans seem to be more pessimistic about the economy than ever. According to a brand new poll, 61 percent of Americans believe that they will not return to their "pre-recession" lifestyles until at least 2014.
    #22 Backdoor deals regarding healthcare, despite his campaign promise to transparency to televise these negotiations on CSPAN. The majority of the people want Obamacare repealed. See proof on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?….
  • ghostrider Deputy ... 2012/10/02 22:00:11
    ghostrider
    Yada, yada, yada .... a U.S. president can spend no more money than is appropriated by congress ... and the debt limit also is 'authorized' by congress ... the rest of your economic 'facts', while most probably factual, really have nothing to do with the presidency ... it's all anti-Obama 'dribble' ... the economy is and always has been cyclic -- check your history ... a 'failing' economy can and has occurred under both party's administration(s) and neither had a 'magic wand' to 'turn things around' and 'put Americans back to work' -- remember Herbert Hoover and the start of the "Great Depression"? -- FDR (finally bailed out by WWII) -- Gerald Ford and his 'WIN' campaign? -- and Jimmy Carter? .... the current downturn started under Bush's reign .... and Romney, despite his (questionable) business expertise, has no magical solution, either -- just listen to him carefully ... BUT, AS ALWAYS 'the president' gets the blame ... just politics, as always. So, you can continue to 'foam at the mouth' if you so desire ... you'll be applauded by you ilk ... those (apparently) few who actually do think for themselves simply will dismiss your (right wing) 'partisan hysteria'.
  • Deputy ... ghostrider 2012/10/03 06:38:22
    Deputy Chief
    You left wing Obama worshipers would be foaming at the mouth if a Republican President would have finished a term with all of the economic failures that Obama has had! Over 8% unemployment, increased debt by 6 Trillion dollars! Vote for Obama for more of the same extreme spending!
    obama followers
  • ghostrider Deputy ... 2012/10/03 15:52:38
    ghostrider
    Just can't get it through your head that (any) president cannot spend more than congress, particularly the House of Representatives (currently Republican-controlled) appropriates, can you?
  • Tombo 2012/09/03 00:29:39
    Vote for Romney and why
    Tombo
    +1
    Do your homework and you will find that Romney is the best choice.. Watch this video and go see 2016. Obama's first term has been a huge failure. Watch the debates.

• umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/09/03 00:03:06
    Vote for your choice and why
    umapathy Krishnamurthy
    +1
    You study both of them who is good for nation, decide, then vote
  • Defendn... umapath... 2012/09/21 18:56:14
    DefendnProtect
    why both, why not more candidates?
  • SirWence 2012/09/02 23:30:02
    Vote for your choice and why
    SirWence
    +4
    vote on your true principles - thus the one closest to them. For me its Gary Johnson
  • Studied 2012/09/02 23:22:26
    Vote for your choice and why
    Studied
    +2
    You just need to look at the country and decide if you want it to continue on the path it is on now. Do not listen to the scare tactics aimed toward seniors, minorities, etc. Vote with your heart, it is a priviledge we fought hard for.
  • texasred 2012/09/02 23:12:15
    Vote for Romney and why
    texasred
    +2
    Obama is the worst thing that has ever happened to this nation and not by accident. Even if you are not convinced that Romney is the best of the candidates, he is the only candidate we have that can win against Obama. He is a good man and, if nothing else, will help stop this travesty against our nation.
  • EllaBella 2012/09/02 22:32:08
    Vote for your choice and why
    EllaBella
    +2
    you really just have to look not only at your self but the nation as a whole and decide for yourself who you agree with more. it's a heavy responsibility and, depending on where you live, you may have to stand in line a while to get into the booth - but its a good feeling to cast your vote.
  • D Hanes 2012/09/02 22:11:27
    Vote for Romney and why
    D Hanes
    +1
    Vote Romney, to preserve our freedoms and our Republic.

Vote Obama to lose our freedoms and become Communist China!!!
  • ~writersblock~ 2012/09/02 21:07:19 (edited)
    Vote for your choice and why
    ~writersblock~
    +4
    Do you want Communism or Capitalism? Socialism or Individualism? Hand-outs or Freedom? There are a lot of questions to this, but its all on how you want America to be. An Oligarchy or a Republic?

true political spectrum

2014/12/18 23:06:42