Who Should Decide Who Is Jewish?

Israelis. If Israel wants to consolidate decision making, it should.
Americans. U.S. Jews should have a greater say in who decides who is Jewish.
American and Israeli Jews are heading to a confrontation over who should decide who is Jewish in Israel.

A proposed Israeli bill that is supposed to give potential converts more leeway in choosing where - and how - to convert in Israel would also give control over conversions to the Orthodox-dominated Israeli Chief Rabbinate, according to NPR. "Many American Jews belong to the more liberal branches of Judaism — the Reform or Conservative movements. In Israel, the Orthodox are in almost total control of Jewish life."

The bill has caused Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to say it could "tear apart" the Jewish people.

"We do not want to see a schism among the Jews of the United States and Israel," Rabbi Daniel Allen, director of the Association of Reform Zionists of America, told NPR. "This will say to the Jews of the United States that they don't have a serious place in this country, and that is unacceptable to us...This would be an affirmative act of the Knesset [Israel's parliment] to create a second class of Jewery."

Who should decide who is Jewish?

Read More: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?story...

• pinkfloyd65 2010/07/21 17:35:47
    pinkfloyd65
    +6
    NEITHER! God already decided and spoke in the Torah: A Jew is one that is born of a Jewish MOTHER or one that converts to Judaism according to the Halacha Laws. The struggle mentioned in the article above has to do with who interprets the Halacha Laws and on what grounds. Reforms, Conservative and other semi-Jewish American inventions would like to soften the Laws of Conversions which have been the SAME since the time of Moshe Rabenu (Moses), while the Orthodox establishment in Israel wants to keep them as they are and thus, also keep its monopoly on conversion.
    It's more a political-cultural difference rather than a purely religious one.

• Raven 2010/07/26 20:50:41 (edited)
    Raven
    Neither Israel nor America.

Jews come in many different flavors around the world and no country should decide who is a Jew. Each group has something to contribute to the Jewish People so Jews need to stick together, not break apart by group.

Plus, the conversion bill has been put on hold now.

If you are interested. Four videos on everything you want to know about the conversion bill. I don't know how long it will be there.

http://shalomtv.org/index.htm
  • nettie 2010/07/24 23:34:05 (edited)
    nettie
    YEAH KNOW SODA HEAD NEWS YOU ARE FULL OF THE NWO RACE BAITING RELIGION HATING BULLSHYT MONGORING. MAY THE MARK OF THE BEAST YOU CRAVE ... CAUSE YOU ROT IN H3LL
  • Dave Sa... nettie 2010/07/25 00:42:10
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    You see, people who can't spell don't get caught by the Profanity Filter.
  • nettie Dave Sa... 2010/07/25 01:02:58
    nettie
    +1
    i do that on purpose so i don't get filtered
  • Raven nettie 2010/07/26 20:52:28
    Raven
    I'm curious. Why do you say that? Just to attract attention?
  • Scarr~Green with Envy 2010/07/22 15:38:36
    Scarr~Green with Envy
    idk. god should. maybe they should decide for themeslves. idk im not a jew.
  • Eaglescout 2010/07/22 15:10:37
    Eaglescout
    +1
    The only person who should decide whether or not they are Jewish are the specific person them-self. Yeah, there are different denominations, but those are the denominations that fit for that person. Do I agree with either of them? Of course not. I'm a Christian, and the only way to go to Heaven is if you believe Jesus is the Son of God. However, not everyone believes that, and no one should force others to believe in something they don't believe in.
  • Raven Eaglescout 2010/07/26 20:54:34 (edited)
    Raven
    There are many paths to heaven
  • Eaglescout Raven 2010/07/27 21:29:50
    Eaglescout
    Could you be a little more specific? I'm not following.
  • Raven Eaglescout 2010/07/27 21:42:32
    Raven
    There are many ways to get to the same place. Many roads can get you there. There are basic truths in all religions.

Saying there is only one way is saying everyone else is condemned. I don't agree with that.

ways roads basic religions condemned
  • Eaglescout Raven 2010/07/27 21:50:47
    Eaglescout
    Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

John 3:16-17 says For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The only way to get to Heaven is through Jesus Christ.
  • Raven Eaglescout 2010/07/29 18:46:45
    Raven
    That's fine if you are a Christian and believe in the New Testament. It might be the only way for you. But there are millions of people around the world that don't believe as you do and you are condemning them with your statement.
  • Eaglescout Raven 2010/07/29 19:27:38
    Eaglescout
    I'm just justifying what's the truth. If they don't want to believe that, then that's their choice.
  • Steford doesn't follow 2010/07/22 12:02:32
    Steford doesn't follow
    +2
    God WILL decide!
  • starguide 2010/07/22 03:37:15
    starguide
    +2
    no country should have a say ,, there are many jews all over the world
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2010/07/22 03:23:31 (edited)
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +3
    The ones here that supported Obama supported a FRAUD! israelis israel consolidate decision supported obama supported fraud
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2010/07/22 03:13:59
  • Edgar Sherloc... 2010/07/22 05:09:01
    Edgar
    +2
    Wow someone with a measure of intelligence!! Kudos to you my good man!
  • Decipher Edgar 2010/07/22 15:12:05
    Decipher
    +1
    Really? He condemns an entire group of people based on political views, calls them worthless (hitleresque), then acts like there is nothing good at all about leberalism? Not to mention he cant stand being disagreed with and acts very unchristian whilst proclaiming that he will be going to heaven.
  • Sherloc... Sherloc... 2010/07/22 16:03:23
  • Crazy Feet 2010/07/22 01:27:41
    Crazy Feet
    +3
    I say nobody makes a move until somebody moves that ladder!!!
  • fuzzy K... Crazy Feet 2010/07/22 14:40:51
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +2
    That looks like the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
  • Crazy Feet fuzzy K... 2010/07/22 15:31:09 (edited)
    Crazy Feet
    +2
    Its hard to see but, someone put that ladder there in 1852 and no one dare move it because it would be considered a hostile move, so i figure I'm not getting in this debate when people can't even settle something as simple as this ladder and what should be done with it. Punch in church of the holy sepulcher for more info. Mind boggling! ''peace, peace but there will be no peace'' I see that ladder as a symbol of every thing that goes on in that country. SAD!!
  • fuzzy K... Crazy Feet 2010/07/22 16:00:46
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    Thank you.
  • Murph 2010/07/21 23:43:55
    Murph
    +2
    Years ago, the Knesset decided that there was no longer a religious requirement to be a Jew; you only have to prove, with documentation from a synogogue, that your mother was a Jew.
  • Edgar Murph 2010/07/22 05:12:00
    Edgar
    +1
    Sounds a lil racist don't you think? I mean Jews embody racism and ethnocentrism as the whole world is deemed Goy trash by jews. Wow when is the world gonna wake up? OOoops they already have!!LOL Without American goy christians the state of Israel would be a compost heap. Thankyou Christians! You have saved my Jewish ass countless times and nevermind the terrible liberal Jews who have trashed your culture and heritage in America. I'm with you!!
  • Atmara Edgar 2010/07/22 05:33:48
    Atmara
    Israel is democratic racism at its finest.

I heard they have even developed race specific epidemics. But of course, those can mutate pretty fast.
  • nettie Atmara 2010/07/24 23:27:12
    nettie
    to be Jewish is dependent on WHAT YOU BELIEVE not your birth right....

there is a difference

Israeli are those born in ISRAELI

TO BE JEWISH .....is dependent on WHAT YOU BELIEVE AND PRACTICE AS A RELIGION....and that could be ANYONE OF ANY RACE, ANY NATIONAL ORIGIN.
  • Raven nettie 2010/07/26 21:04:43
    Raven
    Not true.

A person is a Jew who is born from a Jewish mother. Doesn't matter what they believe.
  • nettie Atmara 2010/07/24 23:29:47
    nettie
    YOUR RIGHT THE ILLUMINATI LEAD BY THE ROTHCHILDS...I.E. THE REDCHILDS...A FALSE JEW...A SATAN WORSHIPPER DOES DO JUST THAT ...IT IS CALLED H1N1 IT IS CALLED AIDS IT IS CALLED AUTISM IT IS CALLED CHEMTRAILS,,,IT IS CALLED CANCER IN A BOTTLE.

SHALOME
  • Murph Edgar 2010/07/22 15:40:59
  • fuzzy K... Edgar 2010/07/22 16:05:26
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +2
    Wow, I don't think you could cram any more false accusations and generalizations into that statement.
    I would shudder to hear you take on other minorities.
    BTW: I think you're confusing Jews with the Borg from Star Trek. Jews are not of one mind, duffus.
  • Murph fuzzy K... 2010/07/22 17:05:36
    Murph
    +1
    "Resistance is futile". LOL
  • Atmara 2010/07/21 23:43:03
    Atmara
    +1
    The Messiah is coming and he will be pissed. Real Jews are supposed to wait for the Messiah to lead them to the promised land, until then Jews are supposed to live all over the world and serve God and follow the 10 commandments. Not form assassination teams, bomb innocent people and steal their lands.

Can you be a Jew and lose your humanity?

• Edgar Atmara 2010/07/22 05:12:40
    Edgar
    +1
    The Messiah already came....his name is Jesus.
  • Atmara Edgar 2010/07/22 05:24:33
    Atmara
    Are you saying that there are no Jews or that you Christians have some mandate from heaven to make everyone believe the same hypocritical Christian love and mercy is expressed as bullets and bombs?
    You're too late. Now too many people know that Christian mercenaries rape women of all ages when they interrogate. Your Christian crusades in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere are just simply a product of your leaders unbridled greed.
  • Edgar Atmara 2010/07/22 06:23:46
    Edgar
    +1
    blah blah blah...man will take any moral rhetoric and turn it into pure evil. Even when man tried to get rid of God via a communist state the same evils permeated society. Collectively, man is a fallen creation and in need of redemption. History is a record of crimes and atrocities which symbolize man's existence on this planet. Man needs a saviour, I choose Jesus. Its a personal choice and like one of my favorite philosphers, Marcus Aurelius says, I'm only responsible for my actions and therefore feel no responsibility for the actions of my fellow human brethren. I hope this helps;)
  • Steford... Edgar 2010/07/22 12:05:52
    Steford doesn't follow
    You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! They HAVE missed the BOAT?
  • fuzzy K... Atmara 2010/07/22 14:44:25
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    You remind me of the guy who walked into a Friday the 13th film in the middle and was upset that the teens are ganging up and trying to kill the poor guy with the hockey mask.
  • sm237 2010/07/21 23:37:11
    sm237
    there is only one God and i think when we all get to meet him or her we will find out that all the silly and racist rules that religions have made here on earth don't count for anything....

2014/07/22 21:46:52