Who said two women couldn't have a baby without a man and this is an argument against DADT?

ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/12/25 20:29:42
Related Topics: Legislation

The new approach, which could allow infertile women to have genetically related babies, does not constitute cloning, since any resulting child would have genes from a father as well as a mother. But it is similar enough to cloning to be illegal in California and perhaps in other states where broadly worded anti-cloning legislation has been passed, said Jamie Grifo, the New York University doctor who is leading the experiments.

The work breaks new ethical ground by being the first to mix significant amounts of DNA from two women's eggs into a single egg. That means any resulting child will have two genetic mothers -- although one woman contributes vastly more than the other and so will clearly be the dominant biological mother.

Grifo described the novel approach here yesterday to an electrified audience at the annual meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Experts said the research offers the latest evidence that in the fast-paced field of reproductive medicine, the line between promising therapeutic techniques and ethically questionable genetic manipulations is getting blurrier every day.

The goal, Grifo emphasized, is to provide an alternative to infertile women. Today, the only options for these women are adoption or creation of a baby through in vitro fertilization using an egg donated by another woman.

Many cases of female infertility are caused by an inability to produce eggs. But many others, including among most older premenopausal women, involve eggs that for one reason or another are defective. The method used by the New York team is based on scientists' growing recognition that in many of these cases the problem is not with the DNA inside a woman's eggs but with the fluid, called cytoplasm, that surrounds that DNA. That suggests that their DNA could be used to make a baby if it could be drenched in healthier cytoplasm.

In the new work, the researchers removed the main mass of DNA, called the nucleus, from an infertile woman's egg and injected it into a healthy donor's egg whose nucleus had already been removed. When the reconstituted egg was mixed with sperm in the laboratory, it began to grow into an embryo that the doctors then placed in the infertile woman's womb.

For the entire story, go here http://progdata.umflint.edu/KRAFT/Readings/Weiss%20-%20Fertil...

The sperm will to be 'borrowed' but both women would have the genes of the two women involved.

• Julia 2012/02/06 18:58:06
    I think......
    Julia
    +3
    I think it is good for two lesbian
    Girls have a baby. My girlfriend have a baby we got a son but it not my by blood it stil wil be my son no matter wat .

But me and my girlfriend choose to do this to , people think gay people cannot do these likye strigth people can but we can .

• LastMimzy 2013/06/28 11:21:18
    I think......
    LastMimzy
    +1
    I'm a lesbian, so I would love for this to enable my partner and I to have a child together, but surely if the nucleus of the healthy egg is removed to allow the other nucleus to be placed inside, then essentially the DNA of the healthy egg no longer exists. The baby therefore still only has the genetic information of the other nucleus (the infertile woman's) and the man's... So how does that help two women have a baby of both their genetic info?
  • Marisa Rodriguez 2012/06/09 14:40:28
    I think......
    Marisa Rodriguez
    +1
    Is this real...i want to have a baby with soon to be my wife next year...we have 3 kids all together she has one kid i have two but were a family...but what i would do to have a peice of me and her mix..is the only thing i really want..so im asking can this happen now...june 2012 is this ready..i would be the happiest grl..and our little baby would not know what to do with all the love she would be reciving... so again i ask is this ready and where would u have to go?
  • Julia 2012/02/06 18:58:06
    I think......
    Julia
    +3
    I think it is good for two lesbian

• sue 2011/09/11 11:07:04
    I think......
    sue
    I think this has nothing to do with DADT. If this catches on, however, what would be the implication for the population? I believe that two women could only have a girl. Would this cause an imbalance? If there is an imbalance, might men eventually be bred out? Something to think about.
  • brittany g 2011/07/21 02:25:10
    I think......
    brittany g
    +1
    my wife and i are wanting to have a baby, by outting both of our dna in one egg
  • brittany g brittany g 2011/07/21 02:26:03
    brittany g
    +2
    by putting * our dna in one egg
  • nikki brittany g 2011/09/07 02:48:15
    nikki
    I believe this is amazing for us. I know when me and my girlfriend begin to plan our family, I don't want a strangers donation in me at all.
  • Julia brittany g 2012/02/06 19:02:39
    Julia
    +1
    That want i for me nd my gf
  • Julia brittany g 2012/02/06 19:08:46
    Julia
    +1
    Me nd ma gf wnt that
  • jatori 2011/01/28 17:34:48
    I think......
    jatori
    how can two woman have ababay me and my grul friend is going to have a baby no man
  • Live Free Or Die 2011/01/05 04:32:01
    I think......
    Live Free Or Die
    +2
    It's weird science. There's a time to just leave well enough alone.
  • jatori Live Fr... 2011/01/28 17:42:49
    jatori
    +3
    yep it is but its all so agreat thing iam gay me and my grulfriend is haveing a b aby
  • Live Fr... jatori 2011/01/28 18:17:00
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    the tried and true method of involving someone else has been used by lesbians and straight couples for eons...now we have the sperm bank. I'm not opposed to that. But mixing cells and DNA into it .... is just not fair to the kid in my view. Some things are not meant to be.
  • stephanie Live Fr... 2011/11/08 19:11:42
    stephanie
    +2
    Soo point is we lesbians that want to have a baby Dont really need a males sperm? All we need is both of r eggs?
  • Live Fr... stephanie 2011/11/08 21:24:46
    Live Free Or Die
    you still have to have a man's sperm even with the two eggs made into one to fertilize it. I would never do it, but it's your life.
  • LSR jatori 2012/02/23 23:17:54
    LSR
    +3
    hi i wanting to have a baby with my girlfriend.. how did you all do it ??? i would love to get advise
  • wombat 2010/12/28 17:11:40
    I think......
    wombat
    +1
    Gays use the perverted road to get things their way. It shows how sick that movement actually is.
  • nikki wombat 2011/08/22 00:41:46
    nikki
    +3
    Maybe you just aren't realizing how much this means to the gay community. Two woman cannot have a baby that is BOTH of theirs with a sperm bank. It's not a "perverted road". You should get more educated on the issue before you try and debate about it. Same sex relationships are wanting children where BOTH of their genes from BOTH parents are into play and not some mysterious donor who you know nothing about. Read more about it. Maybe you'll learn something
  • wombat nikki 2011/08/22 12:54:14 (edited)
    wombat
    A child needs both, father and mother in order to establish a social picture of its own future. Gay ppl have the right to enjoy their sex but I dont see any reason for "owning" a child just because they want one. Either way you deny the right of parent ship for at least one parent here just to have it the gay way.
    Get it the Gay idea is a dead end. You will not have more than sex and the life given. After you are dead your family is dead too.

The idea to create a baby with a "Gen lego set" does not work as well as you think cause the "unknown" donor will place 50% of his/her genes into the child and will be known or not 50% of the parent ship. This idea is about gay not about the baby. Its a sick idea causing more trouble than already done in this society.
  • nikki wombat 2011/09/07 02:45:32
    nikki
    Okay. You didn't listen to one thing I said. I don't know what you have against the gay community but you should really try opening your eyes and see what this will mean to so many people. I know I don't want some strangers sperm inside me to give to my baby. I love who I'm with and I want her to be apart of the new life we are creating not some unknown man. I'm sorry you have an issue with gay people. I can see it in the way you word everything. I was born the way I am and I'm VERY happy with who I am and who I will be. It's not sick. It's not perverted. This is an amazing breakthrough that's going to help thousands if not millions of people around the world. Like I said before, try educating yourself more before you start judging people on a subject you obviously know NOTHING about.
  • wombat nikki 2011/09/07 13:43:19
    wombat
    Look, Gay is a sexual relation not able to produce offspring and over.
    There is nothing wrong with that. Have fun with that but stay out of the parent business. Your choices lead to a dead end of your heritage and thats what it is. Your choice not mine. You have no right to take advantage of anyone's child just to cover your handicap.
  • nikki wombat 2011/09/09 20:22:09
    nikki
    Ha. Why don't you stay in your business, yea? This obviously has no affect on you whatsoever. YOU have no right to sit there and tell me my sexuality is a handicap. You must have one if you think you have the right to tell me that me wanting to be a parent is taking advantage of someone else child when that child WOULD BE MY OWN. We were born the way we are and proud of it so get over it.
  • wombat nikki 2011/09/11 01:32:05
    wombat
    oh now after getting all horsy about my comment you want me to shut up cause you are out of arguments??? Laughable!!!
  • nikki wombat 2011/09/12 06:23:27
    nikki
    Haha no. I tire of fighting back and forth with someone with the mental capacity of a rock. I am who I an. So get over it. If you think you're so correct on this subject please explain to me why gay people in your eyes are so bad.
  • wombat nikki 2011/09/12 13:33:35 (edited)
    wombat
    I dont judge you for being Gay I judge you for approaching a status you can not claim without the ability to create offspring within this marriage. I further would reject marriage toward couples w/o offspring as well. I am not mental I am just consequential and use common sense.
  • nikki wombat 2011/11/22 06:16:47
    nikki
    +2
    I am a human being am I not? I believe I have the right just like everyone else to be happy. I don't need other people telling me who I can love and who I can have children with. And I don't need someone like you who doesn't know a thing about me or anyone else in the gay and lesbian community it sounds like to tell me that I am wrong for wantin to be happy. As I have told you earlier, I request you go out of your way and educate yourself before you judge how I live my life and why I want the things I do. I'll bet you won't even try thought. You're too closed minded to even do that much.
  • wombat nikki 2014/04/14 19:57:28
    wombat
    Be happy, no prob. You just have to skip the kid part. That aren't work for you. GUESS WHAT IT IS NOT only about your well being its about a child that has two parents and therefor a history. You would probably go and figure out how to get your hands on an ophran just for your own well being. Great!!
  • mrschanel nikki 2011/11/07 18:36:34
    mrschanel
    +4
    Sweetheart! Some people are just selfish and dumb and know nothing about the gay/lesbian community! No a child needs people in its life to lead it to live a good life, that doesn't mean it has to be a man and a woman! Men and women get divorces and beat eachother, cheat, lie... Etc so for people to say that it shows a lack of brains! People need to mind their own business and don't talk about things they know nothing about. I don't judge a straight woman for putting a penis in their mouth that's been in more than one person and then kissing their child goodnight! To me that is pretty nasty! Maybe they shouldn't have babies either huh? Sounds just as stupis as what that person said!
  • wombat mrschanel 2011/11/08 00:13:56
    wombat
    Being Gay/Lesbian has a simple flaw. You cant have Offspring naturally and therefore it shouldn't even wasted a thought on it.
  • sarah_l... wombat 2012/02/20 01:22:27
    sarah_lucy1@hotmail.com
    +1
    Not everyone wants to have children. Some people choose not to. So should they have never been born? Seeing as in your eyes it's a dead end road to enter a lifestyle that does not produce offspring. I hope you do not produce offspring with small-town attitudes like yourself. But you probably will. That's the sad fact.
  • wombat sarah_l... 2014/04/14 20:01:02
    wombat
    My attitude isn't small town. Its natural. The gay population is meant to be a dead end road. As simple as that.
  • cazzy wombat 2012/09/19 01:02:02
    cazzy
    +2
    Wombat i don't know u but I think you are a uneducated ass. If you don't want to hear about 2 women havin a baby then why did you look it up? Its none of ur business in someone elses sexuality and the right for them to have a child. These are people who want baby's leave them alone it's not like its 15 year old kids havin baby's and goin on state help or something an making there parents raise a child or it getting put up for adoption. So leve the people that want kids alone and go away
  • wombat cazzy 2014/04/14 20:01:40
    wombat
    Think a little before you write. It would help you a lot.
  • georgia... wombat 2012/10/04 02:13:32
    georgia.likes.fireworks
    Are you telling me you reject anything that isn't "natural? Are you wearing clothes? Do you wear glasses? Do you drive a car? Eat processed foods?! That's not natural, yet I'm sure you don't reject them. In fact, you are on the Internet? Think that's natural? Moron. And in actuality, homosexuality is commonly seen in animals. What makes me and my girlfriend less suitable to have children just because we need artificial means? I'm sorry, but there are plenty of people out there who have kids who don't want them, have them by accident or are just downright bad parents, yet I am less entitled to have a kid than they are because of my sexuality? Are you kidding me? Stop being so simple minded. You're embarrassing the rest of the human race.
  • wombat georgia... 2014/04/14 20:05:10
    wombat
    Sorry you talk about children who actually have parents and relatives who suppose to care. And they will. You have no business getting in.
  • georgia... wombat 2014/07/31 02:13:51
    georgia.likes.fireworks
    You didn't reply to the "natural vs unnatural" argument. What's the matter, couldn't come up with anything even vaguely cohesive and coherent?? You clearly don't have the capacity to comprehend what I'm trying to elucidate for you. Some poor kids don't have anyone to care for them, but you're saying that they'd be better of potentially being neglected or abused by heterosexual parents, rather than loved and cared for by homosexual parents? (*I'm not saying that all hetero parents are abusive etc, nor am I saying all homosexual parents are good parents*). I am just repeating what you're implying. But you're clearly a sad and ignorant person with nothing better to do with your time. I actually feel sorry for you.
  • wombat georgia... 2014/07/31 12:52:55 (edited)
    wombat
    Being Gay is as natural as getting sick. Gay are counterproductive based on social issues produced within the society. Gay is a sign of a dissolving culture. A social illness..
    The good thing about it is that Gay ppl slow the process of overpopulation a tiny little bit down.
  • georgia... wombat 3 days ago
    georgia.likes.fireworks
    If that's your opinion, then whatever. I personally think you're a moronic small minded bigot, but believe what you want, I really do not care, it's not like you have to power to change anything or that what you think matters in any way. You can take a horse to water....
  • wombat georgia... 2 days ago
    wombat
    This is not only my opinion. Two woman cant have a child together.
    They will have to steal(adopt) it
  • nikki mrschanel 2011/11/22 06:11:38
    nikki
    +1
    Just because a child has two mothers instead of a mother and a father doesnt mean anything. The child will grow up in a loving family. And wanting a baby that looks like both me and my spouse would be the greatest thing in the world to me. The child won't look like just me or just her.

2014/11/27 11:57:47