Who permitted the United States of America flag to be dipped @ Olympics?

Prairie Wind 2012/07/28 01:44:58
In looking at the United States of America flag, it appears "dipped" when in passing all at the 2012 Olympics in violation of existing United States law. This is as comparable to Obama bowing to foreign powers when he first came into office and took off on a tour of the middle and far East. At no time should our flag be "dipped" in passing any foreign power. What say you?

4 USC § 8 - Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. U S Flag

• Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/07/28 02:26:58
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +11
    Is a dip like a bow?

I can't wait for an American president to take office. I miss Pomp and Circumstance and the bugles and God Bless America! Flag wavers............all the stuff that is now politically incorrect!

It doesn't matter what group you belong to, Boy Scouts, Knights of Columbus or a ladies sewing circle.......it's important to keep up morale and to feel like you are the best. Obama has done quite the opposite.

• wysiwis 2012/08/12 14:15:36
    wysiwis
    Didn't see the opening ceremonies, as I don't care much for sports anyway. From the looks of this very grainy image, I'd say that the flag is being carried somewhat properly, but NOT being dipped. I blame it on the flag bearer not understanding how it's to be carried.
  • andrew 2012/07/30 17:33:13
    andrew
    +1
    Who Cares? Do you not have real life problems? I am sure our President did not direct them to do that, it is after all against protocol but the flag bearer must have got caught up in the moment & saw all other nations respect the British delegation & forgot under the pressure of 80,000 people looking at them but it could not be that it must be the direct order from our Muslim President right?. Now NBC not showing the 7/7 tribute & the beautiful abide by me, one of my favorite hymns was what was disgusting. The Rah Rah of you all is quite disconcerting when I am sure most of you would deny the human right of universal health care to your fellow citizens. It's like there is no sense to all the hate in the country just selfish people only out for themselves what happened to real American values of compassion sharing & looking out for each other? I believe they are dead thanks to the teabagers & their ilk. God, Lord, Jesus, I feel like an ass posting but I cant take the hate anymore. Bless you all but try to live a bit more from the heart. Be more like Jesus.
  • Prairie... andrew 2012/07/31 05:12:24
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    More like Jesus? He carried and was nailed to his own cross, but ... you ... another of those that escapes respect by taking the easy way out of simply stating "Who Cares?" and I do care.
  • Red Branch 2012/07/30 01:03:18
    Red Branch
    +1
    I missed the parts of the opening ceremony and I didn't hear of it until now.
  • texasred 2012/07/28 22:52:55
    texasred
    +7
    It looks like it was dipped. If it actually was, it's no surprise. Obama doesn't respect American laws, much less American traditions.
  • jimmy texasred 2012/07/29 12:45:35
    jimmy
    +5
    THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE
  • andrew texasred 2012/09/17 19:43:22
    andrew
    Please just secede from the Union Ill vote for your right to do so Texass.
  • texasred andrew 2012/09/18 04:35:07
    texasred
    +1
    Hey Organ, I don't live in Texas.
  • Prairie... texasred 2012/09/20 02:06:37
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    It's a baby Troll who doesn't realize Texas seceding would drive tax rates even higher for Oregon ... but they have trees to hug, rather than mesquite. LOL
  • texasred Prairie... 2012/09/20 09:05:13
    texasred
    +1
    I know. Ignorance is bliss and he's ecstatic.
  • Suzie1001 2012/07/28 21:37:13
    Suzie1001
    +5
    Honest mistake or bow? I would hope a mistake but who knows. I love America always will! Proud to be American
  • JAA 2012/07/28 20:08:37
    JAA
    +1
    Gosh, I'm trying to figure out how to feed my family & there are actually fellow countrymen arguing about a dipped/not dipped flag. Let me know if another country spits on it or pulls it down & stomps on it; otherwise, I'm back to more important issues . . .
  • Darnel JAA 2012/07/30 06:25:50
    Darnel
    +1
    Sad isn't it.
    I watched the opening ceremonies,.. Blaim it on the carriers,.. I saw MOST of the people carrying flags representing countries NOT using the holders provided - or using them wrong.

The American flag was in no way "dipped" on purpose. People need to get a grip.
  • JAA Darnel 2012/07/30 08:50:15
    JAA
    People are so hypersensitive in today's economic climate & with a POTUS who thinks he's King, that they're looking for even the smallest infraction of unpatriotic acts to jump on & blame our government. There's also been a call on the conservative side for "revolution", designed to overthrow the government. I tried to tell one poster that the government is fine, it's the people sitting in government positions that need to be ousted. There's no need to overthrow anything!

Also, it's scary reading all of the pro-gun rhetoric with the posters beating their chests and threatening to use their guns on anyone who gets in their way of freedom. Most of these men, IMO, would be killed, or get others killed, within minutes of any gun fight, just because they're too stupid to make their way out of a paper bag, much less having an attitude of "shoot first, ask questions later"!! I have a gun license & carry 2 on my person, but the last thing in the world I want to do is use them!! I'm not out looking for trouble, or getting upset over the smallest thing. "Expect the best, prepare for the worst" is a good motto, but taking deep breaths & "seek first to understand, then to be understood" are also two good things to do.
  • Rodney 2012/07/28 06:12:16 (edited)
    Rodney
    +6
    LONDON – Two-time Olympic champion fencer Mariel Zagunis (Beaverton, Ore.) was today selected to lead the 529-member 2012 U.S. Olympic Team into Friday’s (July 27) Opening Ceremony as flag bearer, as announced today by the United States Olympic Committee. Zagunis was chosen by a vote of fellow members of Team USA.

This is who has to be responsible. Perhaps she wasn't briefed on the proper manner to bear the flag?
    (Edit) Got curious and found this and thought it worth adding to the discussion.

There have been many instances during the opening ceremonies where national flags have been dipped during the parade of nations to honor the head of state of the host country. It is not universally done, and I can't recall any country doing it at Beijing, nor at Vancouver. However, as a kid, watching the 1976 Montreal games on the BBC I remember most of of the Commonwealth countries dipping their flags to the Queen (or her representative: I can't remember if she was personally there or not). The US flag is not dipped to even the athletes' own head of state, the president.
    Terence Martin, 12 July 2010

The practice of not dipping the US flag arose from the refusal of American Olympians to dip the flag in particular circumstances and for specific political reasons, and only later was it made a g...

Terence Martin, 12 July 2010

The practice of not dipping the US flag arose from the refusal of American Olympians to dip the flag in particular circumstances and for specific political reasons, and only later was it made a general practice and added to the US flag code. In 1908 an Irish-American flag-bearer refused to salute the British monarch, and in 1936 the team decided to refuse to salute Hitler. "This flag dips to no man" policy arose post facto to justify those refusals, but was not really a pre-existing policy at all.
    http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/...
  • Prairie... Rodney 2012/07/31 05:22:24
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    Thanks Rodney, you did the research I should have first done. I was aware the dipping stopped at the 1936 Olymplics and that there is a USC code addressing how we care for and should express our respect toward our nation's flag. Yet, we have our "choir" of objection awaiting their entitlements at the expense of the reset of us.
  • Rodney Prairie... 2012/07/31 05:28:41
    Rodney
    +1
    It was more for my curiosity then anything. I had never thought of the Flag Bearers or the protocol before. Then again, I really don't pay attention to the Olympics. It ranks right up there to watching professional Crochet. LOL
  • Carl 2012/07/28 05:29:07
    Carl
    +2
    The person was waving the flag to show our colors.
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/28 04:15:03
    Don Leuty
    +3
    I didn't notice it dip, but it was wagged like a drill team banner. The Colors lost a little dignity, tonight. Let us put a president in office that will honor out standard.
  • Spizzzo... Don Leuty 2012/07/28 06:08:46
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    Just how does who is President affect something like this?
  • Don Leuty Spizzzo... 2012/07/28 06:11:54
    Don Leuty
    +4
    His crotch salute and bowing to emirs has set a poor example
  • Spizzzo... Don Leuty 2012/07/28 06:34:26
    Spizzzo BN-0
    That's a pretty tenuous "connection", even if those things he did actually meant what you think they meant.
  • Don Leuty Spizzzo... 2012/07/28 06:52:18
    Don Leuty
    +1
    A connection nonetheless. Leaders demonstrating disrespect assent to that disrespect, and influence others. May not be fair, but it the way life flows.
  • Spizzzo... Don Leuty 2012/07/28 07:40:30
    Spizzzo BN-0
    That's just silly. If those little things had that big of an effect, then people are too easily swayed by minor things. I just don't buy it.
  • Don Leuty Spizzzo... 2012/07/28 18:12:19
    Don Leuty
    +2
    Whatever blows your kilt up.
  • Charlie Don Leuty 2012/07/29 05:40:19
    Charlie
    +1
    Hey, leave us Scots out of this! :)
  • Don Leuty Charlie 2012/07/29 13:23:29
    Don Leuty
    +3
    Why? The Ladies from Hell are among the worlds best special ops.
  • Prairie... Don Leuty 2012/07/31 05:29:53
  • ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2012/07/28 03:39:57
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +2
    It is my understanding that the US did NOT dip the flag at the Olympics. There was some question prior to the event but it did not happen.

This all began in 1908 when American shot putter Ralph Rose, the flag bearer, did not dip the flag for the King. He then proclaimed, “This flag dips for no earthly king." Then on and off for the next several Olympics until in 1936 America refused to dip the flag for Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. Since then American Law was change to prevent the dipping to any foreign leader.

At least that is how legend has it. But fact is the Stars and Stripes have not dipped to any leader since 1932. No disrespect intended.
    +4
    I did not watch so did not see this - we do not dip the flag to anyone for any reason. Hopefull it was not done on purpose
  • thefatguy 2012/07/28 02:57:17
    thefatguy
    +2
    It doesn't look dipped to me. You can see what appears to be the pole standing straight up being held by the person in the lower right. The flag does move in the wind, you know! Much ado about nothing.
  • Prairie... thefatguy 2012/07/28 03:06:55
    Prairie Wind
    +3
    Should the procession be out in the open and up on a hillside, perhaps there would be a breeze, however this is in a protected stadium, surrounding by a crowd. So, your supposition isn't valid.
  • thefatguy Prairie... 2012/07/28 03:14:35
    thefatguy
    +2
    Fine. The flag was in motion because it was being carried with the team. And, even motionless, the flag hangs down in folds and from different angles can made to look dipped even when it's not. See attached photo. Wow, the flag is at an angle on the left side. It must be dipped! Oh wait, the pole runs straight down! DUH!

American flag hanging
  • Spizzzo... thefatguy 2012/07/28 06:11:52
    Spizzzo BN-0
    I don't see any reason to interpret the Code's use of "upright" to mean "always vertical".
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/07/28 02:43:23 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    The Union Jack is the Prime Flag of Honor at the Olympics. The US Flag must be be bowed to it. They are in LONDON.

DERRRRRRRRR.

union jack
  • Prairie... FAWKES'... 2012/07/28 02:50:10
    Prairie Wind
    +6
    It represents the country of where the Olympics are being conducted, but does not represent any subserviance by any country participating there. Perhaps you'd like the North Koreans to bow to the Union Jack, rather than in error to that of South Korea? They'll give you a lesson you won't forget. The United States stopped this at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin upon Hitler's presence.
  • FAWKES'... Prairie... 2012/07/28 02:51:35 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    The Host Country's Flag is always the Prime Flag at the Olympics, as is their National Anthem. Even Communist China bows their flag to the Host.

prime flag olympics national anthem communist china bows flag host
  • Prairie... FAWKES'... 2012/07/28 02:58:45
    Prairie Wind
    +4
    However, that doesn't negate our laws and this host nation certainly remembers those Americans who died on Britains behalf, after the 1936 Berlin Olympics when the decisions were made how to respect this nation's flag.
  • FAWKES'... Prairie... 2012/07/28 02:59:58 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    US Code does not apply in the UK. It applies only on US Soil.

Are you going to cry when you don't hear the Star Spangled Banner before the games too?
  • Spizzzo... FAWKES'... 2012/07/28 06:22:04
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +2
    It's just the truth that we don't dip our flag. We don't, like it or not.

2014/04/23 17:49:19