Who is at fault for the possible government shutdown?

Colbert 2011/04/05 20:48:25
Republicans, because they're asking for too much.
Democrats, because they're offering too little.
Penguins, please explain.
Libertarians, because they're not doing enough.

• The polite zombie 2011/04/05 20:57:19
    The polite zombie
    +13
    All of the above! Seriously. We don't have political parties. We have teams! We pick teams and hope they win. We razz and shun people who root for other teams. We tell ourselves that we are so smart and better than those people who vote for the other team. We look down on them as stupid! Just look at Sodahead! Just look at the "typical Republican lies, " comments and the "Libtard" comments. People are just looking for ways to be snobby and that's why we vote in crazy people who don't know what they are doing.

• Colbert bambino... 2011/04/06 15:29:25
    Colbert
    +1
    Don't hate the players, hate the game.
  • steve bambino... 2011/04/07 01:23:34
    steve
    +3
    Republicans sucked the country dry with too many tax cuts for the rich & Bush's dumb wars
    & Bush's big recession that Obama fixed. The Democrats agreed to lots of budget cuts that
    Republicans want, even tho they will kill many jobs , but the stubborn Republicans won't budge.
    If there is a shurdown, it will be totally Republican's fault. Many poor people need welfare.
    Republicans are too selfish to care about poor or unemployed that can't get jobs.
  • bambino... steve 2011/04/07 03:50:20
    bambinoclipper
    Thats an illogical response and for you to say he fixed the recession then it is obvious you are not educated to the reality of the current economic climate.
    Big spending by government is why the recession came about along with high taxes on business and the wealthy, high oil prices, and real estate failure across this great country. You can try to blame Busch but the Democrats controlled both houses and created all the programs that failed.
    #1 Lets take the real estate failure : Fannie Mae and Freddie are democratic loosening of lending standards. Yes on the surface it sounds great to let people buy a home , but loosening the lending standards to people that cant make their payments is an ingredient for disaster. # 2 : Oil = all I can say is drill baby drill and may I say that the ridiculous price not only effects us at the pump but the cost of plastics and rubber has gone through the roof. Consequently prices on all goods is through the roof and it decreases disposable income and lowers the GDP which in turn destroys businesses and creates massive layoffs and unemployment. ONCE AGAIN a DEMOCRATIC mistake that is ongoing.
    # 3 - High Taxes on the wealthy and on businesses. The wealthy stimulate the economy by spending and investing in new businesses and the create opportuniti...

# 3 - High Taxes on the wealthy and on businesses. The wealthy stimulate the economy by spending and investing in new businesses and the create opportunities for the citizens of this country. Businesses also are an integral part of economic stimulation and if you over tax them they will not create new jobs. When a corporation has a surplus of money they invest in new ideas and corporate infrastructure which in essence creates jobs.

I could go for days to show you how you just don't understand how the US econmy works and if you had an understanding then maybe you would switch parties.

My guess is that you are either ill informed or lacking a solid education or perhaps you are from a foreign country and don't understand American values and work ethics! Those that work hard succeed and the successful give way more than they have to. Government is not the answer. OBAMA is a master of deception and is a natural born LIAR.
    Please move to Canada or someplace else!
  • shoovadi steve 2011/04/10 23:17:18
    shoovadi
    EVERYTHING THAT YOU WROTE WAS TOTALLY ACCURATE. Thanks for saying it.
  • shoovadi bambino... 2011/04/10 23:16:34
    shoovadi
    WRONG, the Democrats in WI and in D.C. have shown they're willing to compromise and cut back. And the Founding Fathers set up a govt. based on the art of POLITICAL COMPROMISE. That's a FACT. Democrats didn't bring the illegals here. The problem began in the '80s under Ronnie Reagan. He signed a bill in 1986 that gave 3 million illegals blanket amnesty. NO DEMOCRATIC PRES. HAS DONE THAT. Reagan's bill, which he URGED conservatives to support, paved the way for more illegals since it was passed without prosecuting the employers of illegals. Sure, there are lazy people who live on welfare but most of them are white, not brown or black or illegal, since the laws for welfare and unemployment shifted to keep them excluded from taxpayer monies. However, some illegals live off of free clinics and free med. programs if they make less than a certain amount. But these exist from state to state. If the Ripoflficans hadn't been fighting healthcare reform for so long, we'd have weeded out the fraudsters (SOME of them in Big Pharma) LONG AGO, and put those monies back into the system. Obama and AG Holder have done just that, and gotten $441 MILLION back into Medicaid and Medicare systems. Bush could've kept out illegals after the 9/11 attacks, but he didn't because his fat cat enablers in Big Bus. want them here for their fast food chains, hotels, construction companies, etc.
  • twocrows 2011/04/06 13:26:29
    twocrows
    +2
    originally, the Republicans set a number. the Dem's met it. so they moved the number.

that said, last night on The Ed Show, he asked this question. not surprisingly, 83% said the Reps were at fault while 17% said the Dems. BUT, when [not if] the question is asked on FOX, the numbers will be reversed.

people will believe what they are already inclined to believe. period.
  • steve twocrows 2011/04/07 01:28:08
    steve
    +4
    Ed is right. The Democrats gave the Republicans everything they wanted & the Republicans
    are still not satisfied & keep asking for more. The Democrats have already given way too much.
    Fox is a bunch of prejudiced liars . You can't go by anything they say. Ed is liberal, but right on.
  • shoovadi steve 2011/04/10 23:23:52
    shoovadi
    So true, so true...we have a govt. that's a system based on pol. compromise but in WI with Gov. Stalker and in D.C. with House Speaker Boner, we get Americanized Naziism, a totalitarian style of no compromise based on "..it's our way or else." Der Fuehrer would've been proud.....
  • twocrows shoovadi 2011/04/13 05:08:34
    twocrows
    honestly, I used to detest Bob Dole. I never thought I would say I miss him - but I do.
    he was willing to compromise and work WITH those on the other side of the aisle.
    what has our country come to?

I've been looking into moving to Curacao. every day I get more evidence that it's the right thing to do.
  • shoovadi twocrows 2011/04/14 06:48:59
    shoovadi
    Yep, Dole was a better man than Dumbya or Cheney. I'm gonna go to Canada.
  • shoovadi twocrows 2011/04/10 23:21:24
    shoovadi
    FauxNewsLies doesn't go near facts. They've been busted for clipping news tapes and for misquoting people. O'Reilly and Hannity have been known to CUT THE MIC when progressives have hammered away at their lies and they weren't able to support their outrageous claims. There's a doc called OUTFOXED where former employees have been fired for being Dem. supporters or for not doctoring a story or tape. Independent studies have PROVEN that Fox has dumbed down crucial news events for their knuckle-dragging audiences.
  • twocrows shoovadi 2011/04/13 05:06:20
    twocrows
    everything you say is true, of course. but still -- people will believe what they already believe. that's also true.
  • shoovadi twocrows 2011/04/14 06:50:01
    shoovadi
    We just need the same independents that voted for Obama in '08. Screw the hysterical rightwingers. They're hopeless. Support all things leftie! Spread the word!
  • Tom 2011/04/06 12:58:59
    Penguins, please explain.
    Tom
    +2
    I'm just tickled to be able to vote for penguins, thanks
  • BK 2011/04/06 12:21:28
    BK
    +1
    The American people, because they keep stupidly electing the same two parties into office, over and over again, despite all the evidence that shows that either A) these boobs don't know what they are doing, or B) these criminals know exactly what they are doing and what they are doing is prison raping the American people. It's one or the other, but either way, we need to get away from the two-party system, it's a dead end street.
  • twocrows BK 2011/04/06 13:30:20
    twocrows
    the problem with your reasoning is the fact that our system is rigged to keep 2 parties and ONLY 2 parties going.
    try voting for a 3rd party candidate sometime. that person will lose and you will have taken a vote away from your second choice making the one you want to be sure DOESN'T get elected more likely to win.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I voted for Andersen -- thereby helping Reagan to victory. I'll never do it again.
  • BK twocrows 2011/04/06 17:19:45
    BK
    But...what if I don't want either one of the two major parties candidates to win? Why would I vote for either one of them?
    Here's the thing, and I don't really care if you don't like his politics personally (no offense intended, but it's not really relevant to what is and is not possible), but Jesse Ventura got elected Governor of Minnesota because apparently no one bothered to give younger voters the memo about 3rd party candidates always losing, so they voted for him, and he won.
    Why do 3rd party candidates "always" lose? Because people believe they will, so they don't vote for them. It's a self fullfilling prophecy, and a harmful way of looking at the political process.
    If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you are guaranteed to get evil in office, period, every time.
  • steve twocrows 2011/04/07 01:31:04
    steve
    +3
    True. Third party people hardly ever win & just split parties. Bush Jr. won because of a
    liberal 3rd party guy got 3% of liberal votes & Bush went on to screw up everything,
    like the economy .
  • shoovadi steve 2011/04/10 23:25:14
    shoovadi
    The Teatards represent a TURD party...
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/06 15:29:52
    Colbert
    +1
    You mean, America's broken?
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/06 17:21:04
    BK
    +1
    Pretty much. We've collectively been broken by the media into believing that our only two options are Kodos and Kang, and if we vote for someone else, we're throwing our vote away.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/07 02:49:58
    Colbert
    +1
    Who are Kodos and Kang? I refer to them as Vito and Don Corleone.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/07 14:19:35 (edited)
    BK
    +1
    It's from the Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror VII" episode, from when Clinton and Dole were running against each other. Two aliens (Kodos and Kang) replaced Clinton and Dole with themselves and then they both ran on campaigns of "Vote for me and I will enslave you all." At a debate, a citizen shouted something along the lines of he was going to vote for a third party candidate. Kang replied with "What? And throw away your vote?" The entire crowd agreed that it would be a waste of a vote. And that's why I call whoever is nominated for the Presidency by the Democrats and the Republicans Kodos and Kang.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/07 19:42:35
    Colbert
    +1
    Ah!! I remember those two guys. Same reason I call them Don and Vito.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/08 12:43:56
    BK
    +1
    I know what those names are from, but I've never seen the Godfather. Was there a similar situation in the movie?
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/08 15:24:34
    Colbert
    +1
    No, but since Al Gore ran against his cousin George W Bush, it's become evident that we don't really have any choice at all. It's between Don or Vito Corleone, so either way, you're voting in a Corleone.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/08 15:45:36
    BK
    +1
    Ah, got you.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/08 16:29:43
    Colbert
    +1
    Same thing as Kang and Kodos.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/08 18:33:44
    BK
    +1
    I will remember that the next time I see you refer to Don and Vito.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/08 20:25:20
    Colbert
    +1
    Same with Kang and Kodos. It's a damn shame we live in such a corrupt society and anyone who points it out gets belittled and threatened.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/11 12:56:51
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/11 19:56:37
    Colbert
    +1
    Well, there isn't a viable 3rd choice.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/12 12:33:55
    BK
    The other options are viable enough.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/12 21:02:37
    Colbert
    +1
    To throw votes away from the lesser of evils?
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/13 11:49:10
    BK
    No, on their own merits. That's really the only reason to vote for someone, is because they agree with you.
  • Colbert BK 2011/04/13 22:28:42
    Colbert
    +1
    Well, I'm not going to waste my vote on someone and allow another Bush to enter office. I'd rather vote for the other guy, than to sit idly by and allow another GOP president get elected due to my vote being for someone who is obviously better than the two frontrunners.
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/14 13:28:32
    BK
    And that's why we got Bush in the first place, because people hated Gore, but they didn't think anyone else had a chance, so they voted for a guy who had failed at every other thing he had tried. It works both ways, you'll vote for the Democrat, who sucks, but they'll vote for the Republican, who also sucks, so we're guaranteed suckiness. You know the Dems and the Repubs are basically the same, it's Kodos and Kang, it's Don and Vito, so why pick one over the other when it's basically picking the position you're in while you're getting raped? Why not see if voting for not getting raped works?
  • BK Colbert 2011/04/14 13:28:43
    BK
    Or did I miss the sarcasm?
  • steve Colbert 2011/04/07 01:33:26
    steve
    +3
    Pretty much. Bush broke us pretty much with dumb wars & big recession, but
    Obama got us out of recession with stimulus , but we need more change.
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2011/04/06 11:34:19
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +4
    Also, because the Republicans won't take "yes" for an answer.

2014/10/23 13:54:25