Who do you think was the best president of the United States since 1960?

StephanieHolmes 2011/04/09 17:14:01
Related Topics: Barack Obama, President
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Carter
Ronald Reagan
George Bush Sr.
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush
Barack Obama

• Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2011/04/11 19:21:30 (edited)
    John F. Kennedy
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +2
    ..but, the best President EVER was clearly FDR. Bobbie Kennedy would probably have been up there with him. And President Obama I bet will be in the top five after he retires. Funny, two of the bottom five, the five Worse are on the Plus 60s list. Ronnie Reagan and Georgie Bush, the Ray-gun and the Shrub.
    Too early to say, but, I can only imagine; 60s list ronnie reagan georgie bush ray-gun shrub imagine
    Mouse over Picture and double click to read small print.
  • Crewshal Joseph ... 2011/04/11 19:48:44
    Crewshal
    +1
    Excellent Point .If Obama can get out of his "Republican Lite " mode he will be OK

but "Saint Ronnie" and "G. W . Dubya Bush will be hugging the bottom of the pile.
    Plus Dubya,Cheney and Rummy have to be careful right now where they travel out of country, lest they be arrested and brought before the Hague to be tried as War criminal
    Like Henry Kissinger have to be careful
  • Joseph ... Crewshal 2011/04/12 02:23:18
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    ...bon voyage Mr Bush & Cheney. Why not take a nice trip to visit the Haage.
  • Crewshal Joseph ... 2011/04/12 03:08:41
    Crewshal
    Eh Eh,I would love see that pretty soon LoL,seem them especially in the orange Jumpsuit with manacled wrist and ankles
  • conservyT 2011/04/11 15:24:12
    Ronald Reagan
    conservyT
    Without a doubt- Reagan.
  • sonnieuk 2011/04/11 15:07:14
    John F. Kennedy
    sonnieuk
    +1
    only because I have a mad crush on him und he is UBER SMEXII!XD mad crush und uber smexiixd kennedy he wants YOU.... in his bed!
  • Minarchist 2011/04/11 06:19:43
    John F. Kennedy
    Minarchist
    +2
    JFK has one up on Reagan, JFK made executive order 111110. Later he was assassinated for it. Reagan's attempt was only for his warning.
  • gddrummer Minarchist 2011/04/23 21:27:55
    gddrummer
    He was assassinated for trying to help the country. It's so sad that we live in a world where people still praise the idea that that's ok...
  • Crewshal 2011/04/11 02:14:36
    John F. Kennedy
    Crewshal
    +1
    Jack Sprat .D U

Reagan hardened the hearts of Americans.
    You may disagree all you wish and I respect your own opinion. I can tell you that I spent 31 years of my life preceding his presidency interacting with other Americans and living in more than one section of the country in a military career. In all those years, from childhood to nearly middle age, I never saw the deep divisions among the people that are so prevalent now. Almost immediately upon his assumption of the presidency, this former actor delivered a message that seemed to harden the hearts of millions of formerly decent Americans. It was an underlying theme of his rhetoric that the weak and most vulnerable were the cause of any discomfort that someone was feeling and that he (the self-made millionaire) was the proto-typical success story everyone else should be. You have to assume that everyone is capable of being a professional athlete or a Hollywood actor and that anyone who fails to do so is just not worthy of respect. During that time, wedge issues were driven home to the American psyche and pumped full of a contrived anger and people consequently began turning on one another. Instead of showing empathy for one's neighbor, the theme became 'looking out for #1' and thus your neighbor suddenly became your enemy...

Jack Sprat .D U

You may disagree all you wish and I respect your own opinion. I can tell you that I spent 31 years of my life preceding his presidency interacting with other Americans and living in more than one section of the country in a military career. In all those years, from childhood to nearly middle age, I never saw the deep divisions among the people that are so prevalent now. Almost immediately upon his assumption of the presidency, this former actor delivered a message that seemed to harden the hearts of millions of formerly decent Americans. It was an underlying theme of his rhetoric that the weak and most vulnerable were the cause of any discomfort that someone was feeling and that he (the self-made millionaire) was the proto-typical success story everyone else should be. You have to assume that everyone is capable of being a professional athlete or a Hollywood actor and that anyone who fails to do so is just not worthy of respect. During that time, wedge issues were driven home to the American psyche and pumped full of a contrived anger and people consequently began turning on one another. Instead of showing empathy for one's neighbor, the theme became 'looking out for #1' and thus your neighbor suddenly became your enemy. Our people began showing disrespect for each other and rightwing talk radio was given birth to formulate opinion and that opinion was based on 'Us versus Them'.

You can believe what you will, but Ronald Reagan destroyed the humanity and goodness of a once united and mostly compassionate people. There had always been politics in the years prior but it was not hateful and in no way personal between family and neighbors. This nation has never been the same. We are now surrounded by so many hateful, jealous, and mean people that any hope of compromise or reconciliation seems nearly impossible. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm not sure this deceased president was aware of how much harm he did to the country he claimed he loved.
  • carolynb Crewshal 2011/04/11 19:35:35
    carolynb
    +3
    I agree. The people in this country, right and left, dont just disagree, but do it with a vengeance. There is actually hate in their hearts for each other. Great read.
  • Joseph ... Crewshal 2011/04/12 03:00:43
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    I so totally agree. I was working in NATO as the Bundeswehr, USAF Liaison NCO. Reagan was such an embarrassment., and I caught hell by people in Europe that thought we, as a people were pretty stupid to put such an obvious failure in charge of the Strongest Nation in the world. When the Brits gave the world Margaret Thatcher, the British Reagan, it was easier to live with still a Class B Actor, who only got to work at all because all the real actors were fighting the Nazis, who failed at everything. Then we did it again with Bush. Difficult to hear anyone so stupid as to think the Whack-a-Doodle Reagan's, Ronnie and Nancy were an embarrassment that created most of the problems we are still living with, like a lying News Broadcasters who based on Reagan Freedom to lie, steal and abuse to sell a product or agenda, and kill the Fairness Policy. I will never understand anyone alive during the Reagan years think he was any better than the Bushies.
    http://rlv.zcache.com/preside...
    His favorite saying - and True, whenever a Republican is running the Government.
    http://recollectionbooks.com/... http://progressivenation.us/w...
    I lied, and lied to them, but Republicans are dumb enough to still love me.
    http://rlv.zcache.com/preside...
  • Paradox25 2011/04/11 02:11:41
    John F. Kennedy
    Paradox25
    I liked Richard Nixon too.
  • Joseph ... Paradox25 2011/04/12 03:09:00
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Richard Nixon opened China against his handlers orders. The Dixiecrat Lobbyists told him no, they didn't want the world to know the ChiComs were so successful, but Nixon was insane, clinically Schizophrenic. He told them, after they bought the elections for him, that he was President. They through him under the buss, and one of the Best Republican Presidents, President Ford, was also abandoned because he Pardoned Nixon against the orders of the Republican Candidates handlers. But,. Reagan, and the Bushies learned, and never told their handlers no. Reagan gave the Dixiecrats their Oligarchies, and Money Corporate-Fascist a Plutocratic-Theocratic Republic a government of, for and by the Fat-Cat Elitist Wealthy
  • Paradox25 Joseph ... 2011/04/13 08:40:48
    Paradox25
    I just went by what my dad told me about Nixon, I wasn't even born when he resigned. I was aware of his shrewd side, maybe that is how he got some of those nicknames I don't know. There were a few smaller issues on why I considered Nixon, ironically as a Republican he was perhaps one of the best enviromental Presidents we ever had too. JFK was still my first choice here but I could have just as easily picked Abraham Lincoln as well. I don't know much about Ford and he served too short a time.
  • So Bananas 2011/04/11 01:15:04
    Lyndon Johnson
    So Bananas
    People overlook Lyndon, but he had guts, and was very passionate. He should be above JFK, and Ronald Regan.
  • Joseph ... So Bananas 2011/04/12 03:14:48
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    LBJ had JFK murdered because JFK was about to kick him off the ticket, and he would have been indicted for past political bullying. He had the Dixiecrats hire a Cuban Mafia hit squad and a Manchurian Candidate (Oswald) shoot him, and had the FBI and Chiefs of Staff that hated Kennedy involved and promised the Money Handlers that he would take us to war, which the Kennedy's were gonna pull us out of. LBJ is one of the worst Presidents. Better than Reagan and Bush, but not a good man nor a decent President. He involved us in Viewtnam to gain the Presidency having had JFK, and later RFK killed.
  • Candi 2011/04/10 23:38:29
    Bill Clinton
    Candi
    +1
    I believe he was a good president
  • Joseph ... Candi 2011/04/12 03:17:13 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Sorry Candi - raved ya, but meant to tag this on "thats_whatshe_said 1 day ago who chose
    Lyndon Johnson"
    Wrong. One of the worst. As a disabled Vietnam Veteran, I have lots of reasons to project his failures as a decent American President. Read the Book. I worked with the Attorney in the book, and knew the one that wrote it. decent american president read book worked attorney book wrote How Lbj killed JFK
  • Hey Bulldog 2011/04/10 20:26:13
    Bill Clinton
    Hey Bulldog
    +2
    Reagan was a puppet
  • Joseph ... Hey Bul... 2011/04/12 03:28:17
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    ...with the Dixiecrat Oligarchies hand up his ass, and pulling his strings for 8 years that started America on a downward slide we are only now slowing down. Who after all brought us; Reaganomics, Reverse Robin Hood, Supply-side, Trickle-down, Voodoo economics, employed three times, Reagan/Bush, Bush/Quayle and Bush/Cheney, all failed, all brought us into a Recession and damn near a world Depression. employed times reaganbush bushquayle bushcheney recession damn world depression Reaganomics http://www.dirtandseeds.com/w... bushquayle bushcheney recession damn world depression httpwww dirtandseeds comw Reaganomics
  • jay 2011/04/10 20:15:07
    Ronald Reagan
    jay
    he might have spent a bit of money but no one has spent anywhere near what obama has.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2011/04/10 16:42:19
    Bill Clinton
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +1
    I would have said Kennedy, too, but I was only a whelp when he was pres!
  • Wolverineland 2011/04/10 12:30:26
    John F. Kennedy
    Wolverineland
    +3
    JFK without hesitation. jfk hesitation jfk
  • KoAm 2011/04/10 12:17:59
    Ronald Reagan
    KoAm
    +2
    Ronald Reagan, by a country mile.
  • Lennonlives 2011/04/10 11:43:49
    John F. Kennedy
    Lennonlives
    +2
    Unfornately the owners of this country killed him
  • Miss UT 2011/04/10 10:51:20
    John F. Kennedy
    Miss UT
    +3
    Loved Kennedy...and Bill Clinton as a close second. I believe that history will bear this out.
  • crewzer1 2011/04/10 09:37:37
    Gerald Ford
    crewzer1
    +1
    I will alway's respect the Ethic's built into Gerald Ford. I personally was allowed Past Secret Service, while I was working with Delta Airline's,when I personally got to shake His Hand. I Thought it was pretty cool.
  • Angelus 2011/04/10 06:40:50
    Ronald Reagan
    Angelus
    well really it's future me :P
  • Vassi 2011/04/10 06:35:44
    John F. Kennedy
    Vassi
    +2
    Nixon, the Bushes, and Obama are jokes.
  • XZQZQ 2011/04/10 05:35:44
    Ronald Reagan
    XZQZQ
    RR may have not been perfect....but he sure looks good by comparison with those who came after....
  • senvestoj 2011/04/10 04:45:51
    Ronald Reagan
    senvestoj
    He had his faults, but out of that list he is hands-down the best.
  • Bob Pooba 2011/04/10 04:41:31
    George Bush Sr.
    Bob Pooba
    With Ronald Reagan a very close 2nd.
  • XZQZQ Bob Pooba 2011/04/10 05:40:15
    XZQZQ
    GHWB only became President on RR's coat tails... and when he had to run on his own record, got blown out....in a recent interview, he took complete credit for the Berlin Wall coming down....did not even mention RR, Thatcher, the Pope....
  • Bob Pooba XZQZQ 2011/04/10 05:49:18
    Bob Pooba
    And, that's what you think, now isn't it?
  • ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2011/04/10 04:13:25
    Ronald Reagan
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    Reagan was the best, but two Presidents that won't get many votes are Nixon and Ford.

Nixon got in trouble for doing what every politician has done before and since.

Ford while not a popular decision pardoned Nixon, this allowed our country to move on after Watergate.
  • jay 2011/04/10 03:59:14
    Richard Nixon
    jay
    looks like i am the only one to vote for Nixon!
  • ☆Wartho... jay 2011/04/10 04:15:38
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +2
    Actually I believe Nixon did a good job. Just got caught being a politician. The press did not like him and hammered him.
  • XZQZQ ☆Wartho... 2011/04/10 05:42:55
    XZQZQ
    +1
    The media ran interference for JFK, made sure nothing negative about him became public knowledge....and a decade later, made sure that RN was driven out of office...
  • ☆Wartho... XZQZQ 2011/04/10 13:19:24
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    Exactly, kinda like today.
  • jay ☆Wartho... 2011/04/10 12:24:25
    jay
    i agree a lot of presidents did much worse then cover up tapes and got away with it, Nixon just got caught, people forgot about Viet Nam!

2014/10/22 06:26:03