White Student Returns Scholarship Intended for Blacks: Should Color-Based Scholarships Exist?

Fef 2012/06/12 20:56:25
Jeffrey Warren of Martin Luther King High School in Riverside, California, won the scholarship awarded by the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club. Warren applied for the "black only" scholarship, citing that the application only encouraged blacks to apply, but didn't have any racial requirement.

King High School Principal Darel Hansen said the organization's cover letter did state race was a factor, but that information had been left off the application and was not requested when he applied.

"It was kind of funny at first, everyone was laughing. They announced it for an African American, they saw me walk up," Warren said.A college-bound white student in Riverside has returned a $1,000 scholarship intended for black students.

Read More: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/loc...

• Stix 2012/06/12 21:12:31 (edited)
    Stix
    +18
    How are we ever going to end racism when the folks in charge keep breaking us into races? I wonder if there are any "white only" scolarships out there? Somehow, that would come across as very racist...why doesn't this?

• Mechelle Franklin 2012/06/13 21:25:46
    Mechelle
    You are right. If it fails its racism, if it goes great, I did it on my own with no help from anyone. Go figure.
  • Bibliop... Franklin 2012/06/13 01:17:09
    Bibliophilic
    Did I even say this?
  • Franklin Bibliop... 2012/06/13 12:38:00
    Franklin
    yes you stated the same old tired line used by Black so called leaders about some mythical oppression that is to blame for their cultural inferiority / you perpetuate separatism / funny how it was wrong in South Africa but you feel its a GOOD THING here in the USA -
  • Bibliop... Mechelle 2012/06/13 01:14:46 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    Here are a very simple examples. These will be of assistance to the ignorant 'reverse racism' crowd.

white privilege

white privilege
    white privilege

white privilege

Mexican is not a race.

I feel like I'm on the stormfront.org.
    Were whites enslaved and systematically discriminated against? Were they shot for being white? Hanged for being white? Were they denied education? The effects of white racism linger even today. An armed black person is twice as likely to be shot as an armed white person. Being white in America is an advantage.
  • Mechelle Bibliop... 2012/06/13 01:37:14
    Mechelle
    +2
    Why don't you smoke some more weed and sell your pitty party to someone else. I have seen how whites are treated where I live and the SPANISH have taken over. There, better? Get off the soap box and take a look around.
  • Franklin Bibliop... 2012/06/13 12:41:42
    Franklin
    yea you keep telling yourself that ...and how are things in the black communities of america ? They must be better than mixed or dominant white communities right ? right ?
    your a racetard and its up to you to fight to escape your won skin ! Change starts with you and no where else -
  • Franklin Bibliop... 2012/06/12 21:47:39
    Franklin
    +10
    LOL- Professional victim-hood ...you have no idea how foolish you look do you ? But that is what being a liberal is all about , helping those “poor dumb inferior races “ who are just not ever going to be good enough to deal with regular equality
  • Iamfree Franklin 2012/06/12 21:53:56
    Iamfree
    +9
    Franklin, you nailed it. I would be offended if I were offered a scholarship based on a qualification like the color of my skin or my gender. I only want what I have earned on merit alone. Anything else is demeaning.
  • Bibliop... Iamfree 2012/06/13 01:17:35
    Bibliophilic
    Good for you, don't accept the scholarship if you don't want it.
  • Franklin Iamfree 2012/06/13 12:44:21
    Franklin
    +1
    ...big thumbs up , demeaning as in it diminishes me !
  • Bibliop... Franklin 2012/06/13 01:19:06
    Bibliophilic
    Poor dumb inferior races? I never said this at all. Do you even know what race I am? I bet not. Helping people who have been oppressed by whites is not about victimhood. You sound like the ignorant one here. It's to your favor that this is occurring on the conservative-bent Fox News watching Sodahead.
  • Franklin Bibliop... 2012/06/13 12:49:06
    Franklin
    +2
    yes you did and are - I don't care what color you are , your a condescending prick who’s every effort keeps minorities from moving forward . Liberals have built ghettos and they built them for the same reason as ghettos have always been built ...to house the underclass slaves away from the upper-class population .
    Diversity = separatism and separatism is WRONG! So you are WRONG from the ground up! And your a racist -
  • COCO Franklin 2012/06/13 06:33:17
  • Michael 2012/06/12 21:30:45
    Michael
    +7
    It should be based on accomplishments, potential and need. I suppose if a Jewish foundation had requested a "Jewish only" scholarship, or a Catholic organization a "Catholic only" one, it should be honored likewise.
  • Joey Michael 2012/06/12 22:09:28
    Joey
    +1
    There are Jewish only Scholarship. but you people don't hate Jewish people like you hate black people so you will not complain about those.
  • Zolfie™ 2012/06/12 21:30:36
    Zolfie™
    +5
    I don't think race should matter if someone is good enough for a school scholarship, and don't think it should matter.
  • Gangstersteve1993 2012/06/12 21:27:20
    Gangstersteve1993
    +4
    Does make a white man any smarter than a black man? Nope does it make a black man smarter than a white man? still nope. So why do they make 2 different scholars for 2 different races?
  • Mechelle Gangste... 2012/06/12 21:42:44
    Mechelle
    +2
    Exactly
  • Gangste... Mechelle 2012/06/12 22:02:37
    Gangstersteve1993
    +2
    Are the governments or who ever is behind the education board idiots or something? I think they are by splitting it down by colour and race
  • Mechelle Gangste... 2012/06/12 22:29:40
    Mechelle
    +2
    Your right, and it needs to stop before racism can be stopped. And the government has always been stupid.
  • Gangste... Mechelle 2012/06/12 22:54:53
    Gangstersteve1993
    +2
    No wonder why we keep hearing about "race crimes" and all other stupid stuff daily and they don't deal with it.
  • Mechelle Gangste... 2012/06/12 23:21:01
    Mechelle
    +1
    Nope, they just pretend its not a problem.
  • Charles E 2012/06/12 21:22:19
    Charles E
    +3
    White only scholarships are already under attack.

If a scholarship has any racial requirement government schools should not be involved in applications, administration, or awarding them.
  • mustangluver 2012/06/12 21:21:58
    mustangluver
    +7
    Of course not!
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/06/12 21:21:36
    Andy Fletcher
    +3
    Sure, why not? If it is provided by a private group that has a target demographic they want to help I have absolutely no problem with it. Taxpayer supported scholarships are another situation entirely and MUST not be confused with private groups of like minded individuals. In this case, I think the group's application and acceptance process needs a little work.
  • Charles E Andy Fl... 2012/06/12 21:23:58
    Charles E
    +1
    If there is a racial requirement, government schools should not be involved with the application or awarding of any scholarship.
  • Andy Fl... Charles E 2012/06/12 21:40:57
    Andy Fletcher
    +2
    There is NOTHING wrong with the scholarship application being made available through the taxpayer supported school. There is NOTHING wrong with that application being forwarded to the organization providing the scholarship, by a government school. As long as the government school has no input in awarding or denying the scholarship then what exactly is the issue? If they allow this scholarship application to be but no other ethnicity based applications, then of course, THAT is an issue. As presented in this story, one would have to have a very narrow mind to develop it into a problem.
  • Charles E Andy Fl... 2012/06/13 02:18:49
  • Iamfree Andy Fl... 2012/06/12 21:54:58
    Iamfree
    +3
    So I assume you would be fine with the KKK offering whites-only scholarships?
  • Andy Fl... Iamfree 2012/06/12 22:12:57
    Andy Fletcher
    Actually, yes I would. As long as the school offering it in their catalog of available scholarships is not refusing to offer other ethnicity based scholarships in that catalog. How about first nations only? The school is NOT AWARDING the scholarship. The school guidance programs are the most efficient way of letting students know what scholarships are available to them.
  • wolfshadow 2012/06/12 21:14:12
    wolfshadow
    +7
    But then won't someone complain about the United White College Fund? But hey, Barry got scholarships for foreign students.... oh yeah... we sealed those records...

If Race based scholarships are available and okay for one race... they should be available and okay for all.
  • Stix 2012/06/12 21:12:31 (edited)
    Stix
    +18
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/06/12 21:03:22
    Elaine Magliacane
    +8
    We're ALL Americans.. don't you know... we are all alike under our skin... when will the dream of Martin L. King that people will be judged by the content of their CHARACTER... not the COLOR of their skin be fulfilled?
  • ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET 2012/06/12 21:02:57
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    +5
    They should be phased out. That will only happen when everyone is accepted as equal and is given equal treatment. Which will never happen.
  • Patric 2012/06/12 21:02:41
    Patric
    +2
    the racist society , the bigots , the low life need to have a race only based scholarship , so that only a select few would be able to qualify.
    damn, if you open it up to even competition, they may not get even one scholarship ...

this is what affirmative action is all about,,,
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/06/12 21:01:41
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +3
    No matter who it benefits or withholds.
  • Huki68 2012/06/12 21:01:08
    Huki68
    +3
    They do have them for whites as well, tall people short people why not for blacks? Like I always say... Who invent the LAW invent the TRAP...
  • Patric Huki68 2012/06/12 21:03:35
    Patric
    +4
    a white only scholarship ?/ are you sure about that ????
  • fuzzy K... Huki68 2012/06/12 21:08:09
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +5
    Are there white only scholarships? Besides the newly created Former Majority Association for Equality grant I can think of none.

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” - Supreme Court Justice John Roberts
  • Bibliop... fuzzy K... 2012/06/12 21:35:36
    Bibliophilic
    Why do white people need specific white scholarships? Who started most of the colleges in the USA and who attends them (for the most part)?

2014/10/01 04:07:08