Which Republican Presidential Candidate Has the Best Chance to Defeat President Obama?

Politics 2012/02/15 01:56:35
We know you want to make your opinion count -- especially during the time of a serious election. So, every week, SodaHead will host a handful of up-to-date polls having to do with the upcoming 2012 election.

Vote on this week's election questions below and make sure to come back every Tuesday to see how everyone voted -- and to receive a new batch of questions worth pondering. It's a great time to have an opinion. So, dive right in to our 2012 Election poll.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/2012-elect...

• Joeseph 2012/02/15 04:12:13
    Ron Paul
    Joeseph
    +17
    I would certainly hope Ron Paul would be able to win the election; America doesn't need another 'neo-conservative' to be President, like Bush-Cheney, or Romney, Santorum, Gingrich, or anyother Rockefeller Republican (which is what we have had since 1988)>

• Merna claireaz1 2012/02/19 09:00:34
    Merna
    Another one of the ten commandments is do not worship false idols. Shall we illegalize that too or are we cherry picking here?
  • claireaz1 Merna 2012/02/19 18:36:38
    claireaz1
    +1
    Thank you for responding. We as Christians must choose our candidates and the party that represents us based on our convictions dictated in the Word of God. Social conservatives for the most part believe in the sanctity of life, hard work, limited government and a return to bible based values. We as humans are not perfect and that is why we need to search out how the person that you want to support stands in line for what the word of God says.
    Thank you
  • Merna claireaz1 2012/02/19 23:26:34
    Merna
    +2
    I feel that "limited government" is self contradictory with discouraging contraception and birth control, the kind of ideologies Santorum always presents. Also, sorry to dissapoint, but human morals are superior to bible morals, that's the difference between countries like Switzerland, and the inquisition.
  • claireaz1 Merna 2012/02/20 01:57:36
    claireaz1
    +1
    So do you think that government should have more control over we the people? As for human morals, well thats pretty scary seeing that most moral values are in the sewer right now and sinking lower as we speak,
  • Merna claireaz1 2012/02/20 18:53:21
    Merna
    +1
    No, which is why I'm against people like Santorum who have "opinions" with plans to turn them into legistlated laws, especially when these opinions start concerning people's sexuality.

Also, I disagree, sure, we have bad working morales today, the kids are spoilt and have a high sense of self entitelment, and many are lazy, gluttonous, and ignorant. Yet, compared to "back in the day" we don't stone people, we don't burn witches, we don't condemn people to death for such crimes as blasphemy. Human morals are superior to those of religion, simply because they come from the goodness of our hearts and out of fear of an imaginary furnace in which dead bodies will be tortured forever.
  • Tom claireaz1 2012/02/19 18:37:41
    Tom
    What if he/she is for the death penalty?
  • claireaz1 Tom 2012/02/19 19:39:32
    claireaz1
    Thank you for responding. Jesus did not oppose the death penalty. In both the old and new testament this was confirmed. please read below.

Many Christians believe that faithfulness to the ministry of Jesus requires them to oppose capital punishment. Though they acknowledge that the Old Testament mandated this penalty for murder, they think Jesus changed everything. Typically, their view is that the harsh and mean God the Father of the Old Testament established execution, but the loving and kind God the Son of the New Testament abolished it. I'm pretty sure such people don't realize they're denying the Trinity when they say this.

The doctrine of the Trinity affirms the eternal unity of all three persons of the Godhead, but such a fundamental disagreement between the Son and the Father would rupture this unity. In fact, if Jesus had contradicted any of the Father's principles, let alone such a well-established one, that very disagreement would have immediately disproved His claims to be the divine Son. This was exactly the heresy the Pharisees were hoping to trap Him into when they brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus. Even His enemies knew that He had to affirm capital punishment in order to prove Himself a true prophet. How strange, then, that those who claim to love J...

The doctrine of the Trinity affirms the eternal unity of all three persons of the Godhead, but such a fundamental disagreement between the Son and the Father would rupture this unity. In fact, if Jesus had contradicted any of the Father's principles, let alone such a well-established one, that very disagreement would have immediately disproved His claims to be the divine Son. This was exactly the heresy the Pharisees were hoping to trap Him into when they brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus. Even His enemies knew that He had to affirm capital punishment in order to prove Himself a true prophet. How strange, then, that those who claim to love Jesus assert that He did exactly what His enemies failed to trick Him into doing! Far from opposing capital punishment, Jesus actually advocated it, as His unity with the Father required.

In Matthew 5:17-18, Jesus taught, "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished." Just a few verses later, He extends the prohibition against murder to hatred and condemns haters to "the hell of fire" (v. 22), which is strange talk for someone who opposes capital punishment. It's difficult to dismiss these verses because they occur smack in the middle of the Sermon on the Mount, which is often mistakenly offered as the repudiation of Old Testament justice. If Jesus elsewhere opposes capital punishment, then He is not only contradicting the Father, but even His own words.

Isn't it ironic that people protest against the death penalty but will allow the killing of innocent babies?
    Thank you
  • Tom claireaz1 2012/02/20 05:42:04
    Tom
    FIRST!... I'd have to believe that the Bible is the, 'wordm" of God, I DON'T... it is man's word that said it was the word of God!

If killing is wrong, it's wrong! Everybody wants to believe what they want to believe in order to justify what they believe. Which is usually whatever suits their own position.
  • J-DUB claireaz1 2012/02/19 07:21:22
    J-DUB
    +3
    I am curious why you think a vote for Rick Santorum is a vote for the bible or biblical beliefs?

The actions of Mr. Santorum and other members of Congress that claim to be Christians seem to pick and choose which parts of the bible and Christianity to support and which ones to ignore. Here is a link to a story that I feel exposes some of these hypocrisies.

http://www.alternet.org/story...
  • Tom J-DUB 2012/02/19 18:39:47
    Tom
    +3
    Santorum is a religious zelot!... and a hypocrite!
  • claireaz1 J-DUB 2012/02/19 19:01:41
    claireaz1
    Thank you for sharing this article with me. After reading it I was really saddened by it. First I was a Catholic and by chance I was introduced to a bible. Through reading and studying the bible I realized I did not stand with the Catholics on a lot of their teachings so I abounded that religion. Catholicism is not a biblical belief it is a religious organization. They believe in the same God that I do and there are some things they preach that is also in the bible but there are other things that are false. So, with this said We as humans are not perfect and that is why we need to search out how the person that you want to support stands in line for what the word of God says through the bible and not a group of man made laws,

Thank you
  • Falcon claireaz1 2012/02/19 15:50:59
    Falcon
    +1
    I didn't see Jesus on the list.
  • claireaz1 Falcon 2012/02/19 19:06:02
    claireaz1
    Thank you for responding. No he wasn't one of the candidates sad isn't it however we as Christians are not perfect and that is why we need to search out how the person that you want to support stands in line for what the word of God says.
    Thank you
  • Falcon claireaz1 2012/02/19 19:10:24
    Falcon
    Well it seems that all the Republicans are bent on protecting capitalism and the rich at the expense of the poor... not very Jesus like.

"The love of money is the root of all evil" 1 Timothy 6:10
    Capitalism loves money.
    Capitalism is the root of all evil.
  • Catch224u Falcon 2012/02/22 00:11:53 (edited)
    Catch224u
    I'm curious. What do you think is the best system of Gov.? Obviously it's not capitalism.
  • Falcon Catch224u 2012/04/06 18:50:20
    Falcon
    Capitalism is not a system of government, it is a social structure although the word "social" has nothing to do with it.

I believe the best system of government would be Democracy with Socialism as the social structure such as in the Netherlands.

And before you say I should move there, I think i will just stay here and help/watch the US change to that naturally just like every industrialized nation has done. We are still relatively young as a nation.
  • Catch224u Falcon 2012/04/06 23:18:38 (edited)
    Catch224u
    True, capitalism is not a form of Gov. What I mean is A gov. that favors capitlism.

Democracy, the will of the people.
    Socialism, the will of the Gov. (who ever is in charge) I know that makes for high productivity. Name something the Gov. runs and does it well.
    How can the two coincide?

What's the population of the Netherlands? What is their tax rate? What benefits do they receive at what price? What freedoms do they lose?
  • Catch224u Falcon 2012/02/22 00:36:19
    Catch224u
    Putting spin on a Bible verse? You just changed a tiddle, maybe a dot to. Whoa be unto you. That's in Revelation somewhere.
  • Falcon Catch224u 2012/04/06 18:54:18
    Falcon
    What did I change? Here is the entire verse. The meaning is not changed though.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
  • Catch224u Falcon 2012/04/06 23:34:56
    Catch224u
    I would say capitalism loves the opportunity to make money.
    Your first statement sounds like someone who gets a Gov. check. You do work don't you? You do pay taxes don't you? How many jobs you ever get from a poor person?
    Have no fear , your utopian dream world is right around the corner. What with 49% not paying taxes, you think they will vote to get off their gravy train?
  • Tom claireaz1 2012/02/19 18:33:53
    Tom
    +2
    The Bible should have NOTHING to do with this election, we are NOT a theological society. You sound like you have an Islamic mentality. If you want to live in a theological society, move to Iran! (WE) do NOT want a Christian Theological Society. Christianity are no better, or worse than Islam. Keep your religion at home, not in (our) government!
  • claireaz1 Tom 2012/02/19 19:45:03
    claireaz1
    Thank you for responding. I hate to tell you Tom but the laws of the USA were built on the Ten commandents. Right now the USA is in a moral and ethical downward spiral because people think we no longer need them.

Thank you
    God Bless
  • J-DUB claireaz1 2012/02/19 20:59:56
    J-DUB
    +1
    I would like to know which part of the ten commandments the constitution was based on. The constitution was founded partly based on the tenants of Freemasonry as that was what George Washington and most of our founding fathers were a part of.
  • claireaz1 J-DUB 2012/02/19 21:49:49
    claireaz1
    Are you trying to test me? lol.
    early Freemasonry had been incompatible with orthodox Christianity, then that lack of Christian orthodoxy would have been evident in the writings of those Founding Fathers who were masons. Such, however, was not the case.

George Washington was a strong Christian who never presided over any Masonic Lodges contrary to many paintings we see today. ALL of the paintings with George Washington in Masonic dress are a lie. It never happened. Based on historical facts, it may be reasonably concluded that (1) Washington was a Freemason, but an inactive one; (2) Washington has been introduced to Freemasonry during the French and Indian War as a matter of British Military tradition, providing one of the few opportunities for equality in a British monarchal society where royalty, class and caste meant everything; and (3) the meeting in the military attended by Washington frequently included religious services, with sermons delivered by Christian clergy.

The overwhelming majority of the Founding Fathers were not Freemasons
    Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, James Madison, Charles Carroll, John Jay, Samuel Adams and other prominent Founding Fathers were not Masons.
    Of those who signed the Declaration of Independence, a maximum of one in si...
    Are you trying to test me? lol.

Of those who signed the Declaration of Independence, a maximum of one in six (16%) could have been freemasons; and of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention that formed the U.S. Constitution, a maximum of one in four (25%) could have been freemasons.
  • J-DUB claireaz1 2012/02/19 23:59:58 (edited)
    J-DUB
    +1
    I hate to tell you this but 10 of our founding fathers were confirmed freemasons including George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, William Ellery, John Hancock, Joseph Hewes, William Hooper, Robert Paine, Richard Stockton, George Walton and William Whipple. 10 others were not confirmed members but there has been evidence shown they were involved with the organization at different times.

George Washington was also a confirmed freemason, was active in the orgainization but did not take a leadership role. Washington was initiated, in 1752, in the Lodge at Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the records of that Lodge, still in existence, present the following entries on the subject. The first entry is thus: "Nov. 4th. 1752. This evening Mr. George Washington was initiated as an Entered Apprentice," receipt of the entrance fec, amounting to £23s., was acknowledged, F.C. and M.M. March 3 and August 4, 1753. On March 3 in the following year, "Mr. George Washington" is recorded as having been passed a Fellow Craft; and on August 4, same year, 1753, the record of the transactions of the evening states that White satin Masonic apron emhroidered with Masonic emblems bv Marquise Lafayette. Gift from General Lafayettc to Georgc Washingron, 1784. (Holy Bible, Red Letter Edition, Masonic Edition,...

George Washington was also a confirmed freemason, was active in the orgainization but did not take a leadership role. Washington was initiated, in 1752, in the Lodge at Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the records of that Lodge, still in existence, present the following entries on the subject. The first entry is thus: "Nov. 4th. 1752. This evening Mr. George Washington was initiated as an Entered Apprentice," receipt of the entrance fec, amounting to £23s., was acknowledged, F.C. and M.M. March 3 and August 4, 1753. On March 3 in the following year, "Mr. George Washington" is recorded as having been passed a Fellow Craft; and on August 4, same year, 1753, the record of the transactions of the evening states that White satin Masonic apron emhroidered with Masonic emblems bv Marquise Lafayette. Gift from General Lafayettc to Georgc Washingron, 1784. (Holy Bible, Red Letter Edition, Masonic Edition, 1960. ) In 1788, Washington, with his personal consent, was named Master in the Virginia charter of Alexandria Lodge No. 22. There is also a George Washington Masonic National Memorial built by Freemasons.

When selecting generals to serve under him in the Revolutionary war 12 of them were also Freemasons. The U.S. Constitution has similarities with the masonic constitution and their symbols are seen in America. The most commonly known one is the pyramid's eye on the back of the $1 bill.

Also Washington had a Freemason funeral.
  • Tom claireaz1 2012/02/20 05:45:48
    Tom
    Washington was an immoral, amoral slave master!... and a perfect, "Christian!"
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/22 00:28:40
    Catch224u
    Which came first the Bible or Freemasonry?
    Freemasonry, Essentials in Belief:
    A. The existence of God.
    B.The immortality of the soul.
    C. A resurrection to future life.
    D. A Book of revealed Divine Law.

Where are the shall and shall nots in the book of Freemasonry. What would the tenants have to go by?
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/02/22 07:22:03
    J-DUB
    Would you please tell me which part of the constitution is based on the bible?? I can not find it anywhere except the stuff about slavery. That seems to be the only thing I can find between the two.
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/22 23:36:16
    Catch224u
    Would I be wrong to think our constitution is based on concepts parallel to that of the Bible?
    What stuff did you find in the Bible about slavery?
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/02/23 20:17:25
    J-DUB
    However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
        If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him.  If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.  (E...

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him.  If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.  (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.  If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.  But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.  And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.  If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.  If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.  (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
        When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
        Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.  (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed.  If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful.  You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts.  Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.  (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it.  "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly.  Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."  (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/24 01:16:44
    Catch224u
    I've read where Biblical slavery was that,one could own only the labor of a person, not the whole person. Thus in 7 yrs they were set free, the year of Jubilee. All debts forgiven. It was a common practice at that time. Sounds cruel don't it?
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/02/26 03:50:11
    J-DUB
    It was cruel. Did you read about the beatings?
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/27 01:25:14
    Catch224u
    Slavery has been in the world as long as man. It is man made,therefore corrupt. As far as the beatings, yes I read where the rod was put to some and that's cruel. Yet at that time it was a world wide practice and I think the Bible was addressing Christians that found themselves in those situations.

What bothers me is that every time slavery is mentioned in our 21st century, people automatically think of the southern states of America. Like they were the ones who instituted slavery. When in fact the African slave trade was being carried out in the 8th century by Arab Muslims in the TransSahara trade route. ( That doesn't make it right)

Muhammad owned slaves and slavery is mentioned multiple times in the Qur'an.(what do we do? Trash all religion and say there is no God.) P.S. I'm not advocating Islam.

Most Muslim states had abolished slavery by 1969. The last nation to formally enact the abolishion of slavery practice and slave trafficking was the Islamic Republic of Mauritania in 1981.(I'd think about that if I were an American-African-Muslim)

African slavery could only have been done in Africa by Africans for a world market. Africa at that time had a one crop economy supported by all the native kingdoms on the west African coast, and that one crop was slaves. That's sa...

African slavery could only have been done in Africa by Africans for a world market. Africa at that time had a one crop economy supported by all the native kingdoms on the west African coast, and that one crop was slaves. That's sad but true.

I won't get into the hypocritical position of the north and their slave trading ship "The Desire" and many more ships.

Something to think about.
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/02/28 00:54:13
    J-DUB
    My point is you were saying the constitution was built on biblical structure. I said there is no direct connection except for the common tolerance of slavery. Also the bible does not condemn slavery and was used as an argument that slavery is moral.
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/29 02:30:48
    Catch224u
    J-DUB, If you are really searching for the truth, the information is at your fingertips. You have a computer.

The U.S. constitution did not emerge out of a moral vacuum unrelated to the writers' own beliefs, but rather are the product of the the reasonings of those who created it.

John Adams writes, "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

Noah Webster stated, "The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our constitutions and laws.

The rule of law laid out in the Constitution desends from the Ten Commandments. The Constitutional delegates were aware of the flawed nature of human beings as shown in Genesis 3 and Jeremiah 17:9. Thus, they designed a system of checks and balances a seperation of powers to prevent on individual or group from abusing the citizens through self- serving power ploys.
    The three branches of government are reminiscent of the roles of God as described in Isaiah 33:22 eHOW

Slavery in the biblical times was very differant from slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race.
    In Bible times, slavery was more amatter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could ...

In Bible times, slavery was more amatter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their families. In New Testament times , sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicans were slaves of someone else.

The slavery of the past few centuries was often based exclusively on skin color. The Bible most definitely does condemn race-based slavery.Consider the Hebrews. Exodus 13:14
    The plagues God poured out on Egypt.

Both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of "man -stealing" which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death. got questions .org

This has helped re-affirm my beliefs, Thanks.
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/03/01 21:17:41
    J-DUB
    This website is just propaganda. Our country was not founded by atheists but people of religious backgrounds. However they did not trust the churches and the people that ran them. That is why they invoked no state affiliated religion nor allow religion practice to be outlawed. The constitution was written for the country to be a secular government with different religious people as it citizenry.
  • J-DUB Catch224u 2012/02/23 21:21:37 (edited)
    J-DUB
    What concepts from the bible are in the constitution? I can not see any. Except it's ok to own slaves.
  • Tom claireaz1 2012/02/20 05:42:47
    Tom
    NOT TRUE!
  • J-DUB Tom 2012/02/19 20:58:38
    J-DUB
    +2
    Right on brother. I always like the saying that when fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross. sarah palin flag cross
  • Catch224u J-DUB 2012/02/21 23:40:13
    Catch224u
    Sinclair Lewis 1885 - 1951 ( your date of 1835 is wrong ). That's not all that's wrong with this picture. Sinclair Lewis was a famous novelist, short story writer and playwright and was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, but then obama received a Nobel Prize also.
    Lewis had critical views of American society and capitalist values. He was also an alcoholic and spent time in a psychiatric hospital.
    Makes one wonder. Was he in the kookoo's nest when he made this statement ?
    I haven't heard anything like that on Sarah, Have you?

2014/10/24 11:22:04