Which religious group has killed a higher percent of the population: Abrahamic Religions, other Religions or Atheist Religion?

bob 2012/01/19 15:27:47
Abrahamic Religions has killed a higher percent of the population
The "Other" Religions has killed a higher percent of the population
Communist Religion has killed a higher percent of the population
Atheist is not a Religion, therefore cannot kill in the name of GOD

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/01/19 15:37:19
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +5
    The first recorded genocide in history was perpetrated by the Hebrews against the Pagans of Canaan

Was the command to exterminate the Canaanites a justifiable act on the part of God, who ordered it, or on the part of people, who partially, at least, obeyed it? Was the episode at variance with the character of God and his people? That it was inconsistent and unjustified both on God's side and humanity's has been so often asserted, that a consideration of the moral and religious character of the Canaanites is a question of utmost importance in solving the supposed theological difficulties that are commonly adduced.

In the Bible/Torah/Koran God orders alot of Killing and Raping
    but its not God doing the Killing its the men who follow these Commands
    so who to blame God or the Men who wrote the holy Scriptures putting in thier own ignorance and Agenda Telling men to Rape women and Children and Destroy Gods Enemies

Much Death and Destruction has been Done in the name of God but also alot of Good too Prehaps we can focus more on the Good and look at past mistakes as a lesson to improve ourselves and not force Religious beliefs or non beliefs on others

• Mustafa 2012/01/22 19:13:40
    Mustafa
    Americans with the nuclear bombs, slavery and known and unknown wars in the name of nationalism. Capitalism is the number one murder in history!!
  • Kelso 2012/01/21 20:29:21
    Kelso
    Christianity, I would believe so...considering that it is the "main religion" But at the same time, I think it all just depends on the specific belief in each persons mind....
  • Roger 2012/01/20 16:51:19
    Roger
    i guess the communist. the communism is really a seduction that grabs people because the idea is righteous but the works or criminal. second place would be christainity the naza's made sure of that..that was a shame in deed....i hope to fix christainity with the help of jesus and once we as a civilization aquire all there is as for as products, we will become communistic with equality as a basic root value.
  • chrisjay 2012/01/20 16:13:16
    chrisjay
    It depends on the people. Just because you say you are a part of a religion doesn't mean that you follow the main principles that the religion teaches and therefore you are truly a part of the religion, so therefore you cannot really answer this question properly. Supposedly Hitler was a Christian, yet one of main principles of the Christian religion is to be accepting and loving of other people. God created man so that there would be multiple races, he never held one race higher than another just based on their race simply or wanted the world to filled with one race which is what Hitler. So to say that the Holocaust was caused by people of the Christian religion is not true, you can't really be part of group if you don't hold the same beliefs as them. It's saying you're Republican, by you have Democratic views, it just doesn't work.
  • bob chrisjay 2012/01/20 16:43:24
    bob
    Was the Christians following Christ's plan when they burned people for witchcraft? No but they did it anyway.
  • chrisjay bob 2012/01/20 18:12:22
    chrisjay
    Yeah and that is my point. If you don't follow the guidelines and beliefs of a group then you are no longer considered to be a member of that group. Those people weren't really Christians, they just called themselves that.
  • mewycg 2012/01/20 09:30:30
    mewycg
    I don't know which group of humans have done the most killing. I think that if one is a member of the human race then they are capable of killing. I was also just wondering do atheists join the armed forces?
  • Rammstein 2012/01/20 06:00:52
    Rammstein
    +1
    crusades anyone?
    +1
    Communist killed more than any other! You can include socialist in that as well.
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/20 06:03:53
    Rammstein
    +3
    while Russia and China's communist regimes have been involved in both virtual genocides and quite literal genocides in recent history, the Abrahamic religions have been committing genocides for thousands of years
  • wtw Rammstein 2012/01/20 06:27:00
    Quantities speak volumes--the communist were far worse. Don't forget all the socialist countries and missing people. Communism, atheism, marxism and socialism is not dead but still oppressing and killing in secret. Christian and jews have learnbed and grown past all that. Communism and socialistic atheism never will because it is a meaningless religion based on nothingness and without any need or desire for a moral compass.
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/20 06:44:53
    Rammstein
    +1
    you obviously don't know much about history.

you also seem to have this opinion that atheist don't have morals, this is a baseless falsity. you seem to think religion created morals. it didn't. morals were around long before religion was. religion was simply a way of teaching them.
  • wtw Rammstein 2012/01/21 05:00:16
    You don't know history. Of all of history tell me where all the people killed by religion goes above millions from Stalin alone.
    Dyadkin, I.G. (Demograficheskaya statistika neyestestvennoy smertnosti v SSSR 1918-1956 ): 56 to 62 million "unnatural deaths" for the USSR overall, with 34 to 49 million under Stalin.
    People's Republic of China, Mao Zedong's regime (1949-1975): 40 000 000
    You just refuse to face facts that Communistic atheism is the biggest killer of people in history--nothing compares and that is not even beginning to mention all the other dictators Like Pol Pot and others!
    Atheist can claim moral high ground but have no reason to do so--life is meaningless and a cosmic joke and the only thing that matters is the survival of the fittest! Atheism is a meaningless religion that has zero right to claim any morals because what makes your morals and better than my morals--nothing. Everyone has the right and priveledge to make up their own!
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/21 06:43:13
    Rammstein
    you can't do math either i guess
    communist related deaths=millions
    abrahamic related deaths= billions
    atheism is not a religion, and morals are not exclusive to religion
  • wtw Rammstein 2012/01/21 16:40:29
    Hmm--let's see yeah we can actually get a count of the people you atheist killed--Where in all that is sane do you come up with Billions?
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/21 18:34:34 (edited)
    Rammstein
    you add up all the atrocities committed by the religious associated with an abrahamic religion over the coarse of history, idiot. that's how you come up with it, of course, you won't because you chose to ignore facts.
  • wtw Rammstein 2012/01/21 18:43:12 (edited)
    Add them up from where--where are your figures??? What you are spouting has no basis in historical fact! Give me facts not your made up numbers from out of who knows where?
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/21 20:14:22
    Rammstein
    +1
    WW1: 35 million
    WW2: nearly 50 million
    Halocaust(wasn't included in ww2) about 10 million( some estimates are even 20 million)
    the crusades: about 3 million
    French Wars of Religion: about 4 million
    europes destruction of the america's: 100 million
    Independent State of Croatia Genocide:655,000
    Greek genocide:1 million
    Anglo zulu wars: several thousand
    Napoleonic wars: about 10 million
    Mexican revolution: 2 million
    1971 Bangladesh atrocities:3 million
    Dersim Massacre: 70 thousand
    Dirty War: 30 thousand
    Srebrenica massacre: 8 thousand
    so billions was a bit of an overstatement, at least i don't feel like doing enough research to actually come up with the number( which i could if i wasn't lazy)
    still, this is well enough
  • wtw Rammstein 2012/01/22 20:40:06
    WWi was not based on any religion--
    WWiiwas not based on any religion
    The holocaust was because of Darwinian philosophy of a superior race
    None of those wars had anything to do with religion!
  • Rammstein wtw 2012/01/22 21:00:40
    Rammstein
    idiot the nazi's were religious, and yes, they all had to do with religion, WW2 and 1 both had religious subtext.
  • Brandon wtw 2012/01/20 06:59:36
    Brandon
    Religions justify their atrocities. "That was a long time ago." or "They weren't real Christians." or "Those were the times."

An Atheist looks at the same atrocities and abhors them, for they serve no purpose.
  • wtw Brandon 2012/01/21 05:02:05
    No christian I know of today thinks killing is right--atheist have no right to claim killing is wrong or anything else is wrong--they have no basis for calling anything right or wrong! What makes your right or wrong any different than my right or wrong. Your made up morals are no better than my made up morals!
  • wtw Brandon 2012/01/21 16:49:16 (edited)
    Christians do not justify killing it is part of the ten commandments and it was wrong then as it is now. Are you a pro-abortionist?

Atheism has meaning an no basis to abhor killing. WHo are you to say that killing is wrong? You have nothing to base any thing on. What is wrong for you can be right for others. What makes your "made Up" morals any better than my "made up" morals--nothing--there is no meaning except what anyone decides to ascribe meaning. My meaning may be killing --what the heck gives
    you the right to say your meaning is better than mine?
  • Brandon wtw 2012/01/21 20:54:45
    Brandon
    +1
    "Atheism has meaning an no basis to abhor killing. WHo are you to say that killing is wrong? "

It's called empathy. Or what you would call the "golden rule." I don't live by a moral code, only empathy. Morality allows you to be pro-life, but support killing in Iraq. Morality allows people to "justify" what they do.

" My meaning may be killing --what the heck gives
    you the right to say your meaning is better than mine?"

If you mean by "justifying" the murder of innocents, then yes I would say that my path of empathy far exceeds what you call your "made up morals."

Never mind your "made up morals" are completely against the revered 10 commandments. The first being though shalt not kill. That is not thou shalt not kill unless......

So please, keep your morality, I don't want it. morality is dumb
  • wtw Brandon 2012/01/22 20:48:01 (edited)
    So you don't want to beleive killing is wrong, stealing is wrong or that falsely accusing others is wrong.
  • Brandon wtw 2012/01/22 21:44:04
    Brandon
    WHAT? Are you serious.......

Empathy: Being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

"So you don't want to beleive killing is wrong,"

I don't kill anyone because I don't want to be killed.

"stealing is wrong"

I don't steal because I don't want my things stolen.

"or that falsely accusing others is wrong."

I don't falsely accuse others, Because I don't want to be accused of something that I didn't do.

I don't need a bible to teach me this. Or some stone tablets.

When you are a little kid and tell a lie, or steal something. Then when those things happen to you, you find that you don't like them very much. Nothing divine about that. It just is.

My point was and I will put this into quotes for you, so there is no misunderstanding of what I am saying.

"Morality allows you to bend the rules to fit your needs. In the same effort opposes your empathetic side at times."

Morality on killing: Killing is wrong, unless it's justified.

Well then that brings the question of what is "justified"

Empathy on killing: Killing is wrong, because you and I don't want to be killed either, unless......well their is no unless, unless you don't mind being killed by someone else.

It's pretty simple, sorry you did not understand the first time.
  • Brandon wtw 2012/01/22 21:44:20
    Brandon
    +1
    WHAT? Are you serious.......

"stealing is wrong"

• bob wtw 2012/01/20 16:44:02
    bob
    numbers maybe percentage of population no
  • wtw bob 2012/01/21 05:04:03
    Wow it sure would matter to me and many others whether it was more? Millions as opposed to thousands is a real issue
  • 8mariedawn6 2012/01/20 04:19:27
    8mariedawn6
    Every nation is guilty one way or the other for this and we all are .Every religion and every race.
  • KingdomNow 2012/01/20 01:35:19
    KingdomNow
  • RobHom 2012/01/20 00:24:22
    RobHom
    Call atheism what you want....but atheists have been responsible for mire murder an torture of innocents than all the religions...and that is probably only considering the 20th century....nevermind the previous 19!!
  • UnmitigatedJubilation 2012/01/19 23:45:05 (edited)
  • darwolf 2012/01/19 23:07:16
    darwolf
    +2
    Want peace on earth? Wipe out every human being. Humans has proved time and time again they don't need religion as an excuse to kill. All the excuse they need is that they can.
  • reaper 2012/01/19 19:27:23
    reaper
  • Justin.Long 2012/01/19 19:18:10
    Justin.Long
    ....
  • Simmering Frog 2012/01/19 18:47:03
    Simmering Frog
    +1
    Mao

Stalin

Pol pot

While not a formal religion, atheist regimes killed more people in the 20th century alone than people killed in the name of religion from all other centuries combined.
  • Justin.... Simmeri... 2012/01/19 19:19:18
    Justin.Long
    +1
    Good post
  • reaper Simmeri... 2012/01/19 19:24:26
  • Simmeri... reaper 2012/01/19 20:03:28
    Simmering Frog
    Well, atheism isn't against that, right? Nothing in atheist belief says killing is wrong or "might is right" is morally wrong. So, uh, yea!

2014/07/24 04:22:48