Which political party works harder at legislating morality?

bob 2012/07/09 21:31:59
The Republicans work harder at legislating morality
The Democrats work harder at legislating morality
XXXXX party work harder at legislating morality
The Religious Reich work harder at legislating morality
Conservatives work harder at legislating morality
Liberals work harder at legislating morality
Libertarians work harder at legislating morality
Authoritarians work harder at legislating morality
I wish that all political parties would stop legislating morality
scientists work harder at legislating morality

• Brian 2012/07/09 21:39:21
    Brian
    +5
    The Democrats, they are constantly telling me and the rest of America how to live life, who I have to like, what I'm supposed to eat, what I'm not supposed to eat, what size soft drink I can buy, whether I can have salt on my food. Whether I should buy Health Ins. The friggin list goes on and On and On!

• Leena Awouda 2012/07/20 22:15:34
    Leena Awouda
  • pops 2012/07/11 11:43:57
    pops
    morals. love
  • Adam 2012/07/10 18:09:36
    Adam
    The one that works the hardest to pass any laws is the one that works harder to legislate morality because all laws are based on a moral judgement.
  • w2xad 2012/07/10 15:10:26
    w2xad
    None of the parties have any morals that I can think of.
  • Jean 2012/07/10 14:02:26
    Jean
    +1
    Not the traditional Judeo-Christian morality, but one of their own making. E.g. - one that is based on the following premises: 1) the environment is better off without any human activity, therefor, all human activity must be monitored and regulated by the government. 2) Women, nonwhites and gays are all victims of an oppressive culture dominated by heterosexual white males. Therefor these victims are never guilty or responsible for their actions and all blame and punishment must be heaped on the nearest white heterosexual male. 3) All activity which results in earning a profit is inherently evil, so every profitable enterprise must be regulated and taxed into submission. Budding enterprises must be trained early to comply, so all growth must be stifled with burdensome regulations, rules and reams of paperwork needed to prove compliance. 4) Unions, environmental groups and race-based groups are NOT defined as "special interests," but the Chamber of Commerce and any organized religion are and therefor must be prevented from voicing any opinions on governmental policy. 5) Abortion is a sacrament and must be defended at all costs. 6) Sugar, cocoanut oil, beef and bacon are bad for you because we say so. Don't even thing about ordering a large Coke or a baconburger in any liberal bastion!
  • Hamilton 2012/07/10 13:01:13
    Hamilton
    EVERYBODY Legislates morality. You cannot avoid it if you have legislation at all.

The stupidest cliche in the world is "You can't legislate morality"
  • 2sly 2012/07/10 09:41:08
    2sly
    You can't regulate something that comes from ones inner self. You are iether moral or not. And as far as I'm concerned very very few elected Officials have any morals at all.
  • Red 2012/07/10 06:08:54
  • mac9 2012/07/10 05:22:20
    mac9
    +1
    Morality needs no legislation. You are either moral or not.
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/10 04:27:18
    JanHopkins
    +2
    These are the people who want to tax your food for your own good. Tax loose tobacco for your own good. Create anti bully laws for your own good. Take away your heat, light and airconditioning for your own good. Create healthcare taxes for your own good. Stifle free speach for your own good. these are the moral police...for your own good.
  • Delete 2012/07/10 04:14:20
  • shadow76 2012/07/10 03:59:49
    shadow76
    +2
    Their twisted morality anyway!
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/10 03:30:59
  • Tedster 2012/07/10 03:22:48
    Tedster
    It's the Repubs who are run by the Tea Baggers and who want a return to the 1950's.
  • Delete Tedster 2012/07/10 04:15:21
  • Tedster Delete 2012/07/10 07:18:51
    Tedster
    And smoking is about morality how exactly? Might wanna look it up posthaste.
  • Delete Tedster 2012/07/10 14:49:33
  • Tedster Delete 2012/07/26 23:50:43
    Tedster
    Oh? What do morality and smoking have to do with one another, genius? Because all churches are against harming your body, what does that have to do with moral behavior like the 10 Commandments? Take all the time you need.
  • Delete Tedster 2012/07/27 01:11:43
  • Tedster Delete 2012/07/27 01:29:34
    Tedster
    You were done before this.
  • Bud 2012/07/10 01:52:43
    Bud
    Democrats legislate morality, the food we eat, our taxes. Oh, taxes, President Obama wants to double the capital gains tax to 30%, what's that going to do to investment levels? How is that going to create jobs in the private sector?

Bob, you can try to change the subject away from the abject failure of the Obama administration but it won't work. Having nothing but negatives in his own record Obama is trying to run on the perceived negatives in the Romney record. Tell me please, how is making money somehow evil? Especially when it has become so difficult to do under Obama's policies.

Remember, Bob, "It's the economy, stupid!"

Bud
  • Tedster Bud 2012/07/10 03:21:40 (edited)
    Tedster
    You mean the economy that the Repubs have blocked Obama from fixing don't you? 136 filibusters and 125 clotures--enough so that you'd have to go back 40 or more yrs and 20 Congressional sessions to replicate. As for the national debt increase to $15 trillion funny how W's spending since he's left office totals $5.07 trillion or nearly what the debt is now. That's the cost of two unfunded, unbudgeted wars, an $800 billion bj to big Pharma and the tax cuts for the rich which added another trillion to the national debt.

And exactly what policies has Obama passed or implemented that make it so hard for business to operate? Even the Dodd-Frank bill hasn't been implemented yet as the Repubs in the House have passed 12 bills trying to block or defund it.

As for your erroneous notion that the Dems regulating as you say, food and taxes is somehow now an attempt to legislate morality, how idiotic an argument is that? Legislating morality are things like the right of gays to marry or women's reproductive rights or Wade v. Roe or interracial marriage which used to be illegal in some southern states.

You conservatives are the biggest hypocrites there are. First you want the government "out of your lives" when it suits your purposes but when others do anything you think they shouldn't like gay marriage et al, you can't wait to try and get the government to enforce your view of morality. That's the height of what it means to be a hypocrite. Well done.
  • Delete Tedster 2012/07/10 04:18:09
  • Tedster Delete 2012/07/10 07:21:39
    Tedster
    Off topic AND untrue. Nice job of ignoring my facts. W's debt was in excess of ten trillion.
  • Delete Tedster 2012/07/10 14:50:33
  • Tedster Delete 2012/07/26 23:51:45
    Tedster
    Have someone smarter than you reread my post to you. Anyone you pass on the street should do.
  • Bud Tedster 2012/07/10 14:56:50
    Bud
    Obviously you believe that government has the right to legislate morality, a typical liberal view not supported by our Constitution.

Spending beyond your means and borrowing does not create wealth. It doesn't work for individuals and it doesn't work for countries. As Sir Winston Churchill said (I'm paraphrasing) Trying to spend your way to prosperity is like standing with both feet in a bucket while trying to lift yourself with the bail.

Anyway you missed my point. Our friend "Bob" is trying to change the discussion from "It's the economy, stupid" to any other subject to take the heat off you liberals.

Bud
  • Tedster Bud 2012/07/27 00:08:15
  • morris44 Bud 2012/07/10 03:43:17
    morris44
    +1
    Weak. Economy is not morality, poor shift in topic.
  • Bud morris44 2012/07/10 14:57:46
    Bud
    It's Bob who is trying to shift the topic from the economy.

Bud
  • morris44 Bud 2012/07/10 15:34:12
    morris44
    who says the topic has to be the economy all the time?
    bob can converse on any topic he wants.
  • Bud morris44 2012/07/13 19:50:07
    Bud
    Not when it comes to politics.

Bud
  • ajracestables1 2012/07/10 01:26:35
    ajracestables1
    +1
    The concept of morals, legislation and politicians in the same sentence makes me laugh and to throw in that they are working hard at that makes me roll on the floor overcome by humor. No way do they work hard for the people with the peoples best interest in mind, there morals are where the most cash support come in and that can be said for democrats and republicans.
  • joan.sloane 2012/07/10 00:58:17
    joan.sloane
    +2
    I don't think either party is even familiar with the concept of morality. The republican party panders to the religious right and the democrats pretend to look out the the downtrodden.

They may enact some minor legislation to show their constituents how hard they are working for them. Basically it is all a charade to keep us occupied while they sell the American dream to the highest bidder.
  • James 2012/07/10 00:56:39
    James
  • happyman 2012/07/10 00:49:15
    happyman
    Let us all have a party......
    +2
    Marxists are always seemingly moral.... It's OK for them but never OK for you
  • D Hanes 2012/07/10 00:15:51
    D Hanes
    Certainly not politicians! They are the most immoral people on earth. Morality is a personal thing, each and every one of us must look after ourselves!
  • Wren77 2012/07/09 23:54:04
    Wren77
    +2
    And that is not their job !
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/07/09 23:18:36
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Thanks for that option! There are so many choices up there that aren't parties that it would be hard to choose one answer.

Morality has no business being involved in laws. In lawMAKERS, ok. Let people with high moral standards make laws. But don't let them impose those high moral standards on anyone else. :)

2014/08/01 08:04:50