Which of the 7 Deadly Sins do you consider to be the worst?

Connor Pope 2009/08/22 03:03:19
The Sin of Lust
The Sin of Gluttony
The Sin of Greed
The Sin of Sloth
The Sin of Wrath
The Sin of Envy
The Sin of Pride
And why?

For me it would be the act of greed! I hate it, it turns good people bad, and bad people into worse. It's why communism won't work xD, a factor they never added in :P

"Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride".

• Death 2009/08/25 19:07:35
    The Sin of Pride
    Death
    +1
    Pride is the source of all sin.
  • Kestruh! 2009/08/24 02:52:07
    The Sin of Lust
    Kestruh!
    +1
    must people have that struggle
  • idlewild 2009/08/23 01:24:09
    The Sin of Pride
    idlewild
    +2
    They all carry the death penalty.
  • God bless American freedom 2009/08/23 00:39:20
    The Sin of Greed
    God bless American freedom
    +1
    it kind of covers all of the mentioned sins.
  • driley 2009/08/22 21:29:48
    The Sin of Pride
    driley
    +1
    Pride is the one I pick as the biggest trouble maker. Self centeredness can wreck relationships and cause most of the other sins on the list.

Then I'd say "wrath". Angry people are tough to be around.
  • Cookie-chan ~Love Like This~ 2009/08/22 20:06:14
    The Sin of Greed
    Cookie-chan ~Love Like This~
    +1
    That's why America has turned into a shithole.
  • Connor ... Cookie-... 2009/08/23 01:07:44
    Connor Pope
    +1
    Greed can ruin whole entire political systems! :P
  • Cookie-... Connor ... 2009/08/23 01:09:32
    Cookie-chan ~Love Like This~
    +1
    Hell yeah! DX
  • Theo Logian III 2009/08/22 17:45:50 (edited)
    The Sin of Pride
    Theo Logian III
    +1
    Why is there not an option "Other"??? ;-D

No really, I'd vote for the Sin of Ignorance, but since it is not on the list, I voted for the Sin of Pride. :-)

Pride, in this sense, stands for arrogance and disdainfulness, an attitude diametrically opposed to any readiness to learn and evolve.

You can overcome any sin if you are ready to learn and develop. Any, except perhaps Pride...
  • Connor ... Theo Lo... 2009/08/22 17:51:53
    Connor Pope
    This is only about the 7 Deadly Sins not other sins
  • Theo Lo... Connor ... 2009/08/22 17:54:09
    Theo Logian III
    +1
    I know Connor, that was a JOKE :-)

(I do think that the list is archaic and deserves an update though, but that's another story. ;-))
  • Connor ... Theo Lo... 2009/08/23 01:08:16
    Connor Pope
    Oh ok Lol Sorry about the misunderstanding xD

Eh, it may be Archaic but it is the most popular list of sins
  • cronewinter 2009/08/22 17:28:47
    The Sin of Greed
    cronewinter
    +1
    Toss up between greed and wrath..both lead to violence and pain
  • Hudsonjam 2009/08/22 17:27:40
    The Sin of Lust
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    Had to pick one to post. Conner did not give us the option below, so I just picked the 1st one. Please ignore

Sin is Sin and God sees all sin the same. With one exception.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphamy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphamy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
    Matthew 12: 31
  • Connor ... Hudsonjam 2009/08/22 17:52:19
    Connor Pope
    This isn't about what god things this is about what your personal opinion on JUST the 7 Deadly sins is
  • Hudsonjam Connor ... 2009/08/22 18:00:19
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    I'll stick with what God thinks and agree with Him, thank you.
  • Connor ... Hudsonjam 2009/08/23 01:09:31
    Connor Pope
    Your interpretation of what god things could be alot different then mine. Think what you want but the question wasn't "Which of the 7 Deadly Sins does god consider worst?" it was" Which of the 7Deadly Sins do you consider to be the worst"?
  • Hudsonjam Connor ... 2009/08/23 01:44:33
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    OK then, I think they are all equally bad.
  • Connor ... Hudsonjam 2009/08/23 01:45:31
    Connor Pope
    Ok then, why do you think that? Do you not think Greed will hurt someone more then Gluttony will?
  • Hudsonjam Connor ... 2009/08/23 02:21:07
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    I think all sin is equal. That is my interpretation of God's word. All sin can be forgiven. At least in that aspect they are all the same . So if they can all be forgiven the end result is the same. Forgiveness! Thats the only part that matters to me. Like it or not thats how I feel about it. Show me in the Bible where else besides Matthew 12:31 where it says different.

Matthew 12: 31

All sin is serious, and to some degree challenges and attacks the character and authority of God. But six sins are specifically identified as sins against the Holy Spirit. Since the Holy Spirit is a person, He may be sinned against. Since He is also God, it is an extremely serious matter to be guilty of sinning against Him. These six sins are blaspheming (vv. 31,32: Luke 12:10), lying or tempting (Acts 5:4,9), despising (Hebrews 10:29), resisting or striving with (Genesis 6:3; Acts 7:51), vexing or grieving ( Isaiah 63:10: Ephesians 4:30), and quenching (1 thessalonians 5:19) the Holy Spirit.
  • driley Hudsonjam 2009/08/22 21:33:24
    driley
    +1
    I guess this may be taken as argumentative, but do you really think God sees no difference between an elderly grandma who gives into the temptation to gossip and a serial killer? Is that what the Bible is really telling us?

I'm not so sure.
  • Hudsonjam driley 2009/08/22 21:48:04
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    Yep I am, But God will Judge in the end not me or you.
  • driley Hudsonjam 2009/08/22 21:52:38
    driley
    +1
    Of course, God will judge. But He said we must use wisdom because we will be judging angels.

Can you help me find where the Bible teaches that God sees all sin the same?
  • Hudsonjam driley 2009/08/22 23:48:54
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    It is implied as he forgives all sin. With the exception of Matthew 12:31 as previously stated. Can you show me where else He finds
    one kind of sin worse then another?
  • driley Hudsonjam 2009/08/23 04:03:57
    driley
    Some time ago, I started to wonder if the idea that God sees no degrees of sin was a Bible doctrine or whether it was just a traditional teaching. One verse that made me wonder was Matthew 10:14,15, "If the people of a house or town will not welcome you or listen to you, leave it and shake its dust from your feet. Yes, I tell you, it will be more tolerable on the Day of Judgment for the people of Sodom and Gomora than for that town."

It seems that there will be degrees of punishment for sins. So it would follow that God sees some sins as more serious than others.

Then there's Romans 2:5 "By your stubbornness, by your unrepentant heart, you are storing up anger for yourself on the Day of Anger, when God's righteous judgment will be revealed, for He will pay back each one according to his deeds."

There are probably some more, but that's what I can find on short notice.
  • Hudsonjam driley 2009/08/23 12:02:16
    Hudsonjam
    +1
    I don't see where one sin is greater then another there. In the first example I think the point is that hell will be worse then the people experienced at Sodom and Gomora.

The second example could simply mean you will be judged for your deeds idividually not more severely.

Hell is hell, like sin is sin. I don't want anything to do with either.
  • driley Hudsonjam 2009/08/23 15:38:05
    driley
    +1
    So, I guess if you don't believe in degrees of hell, it doesn't really matter if there are degrees of sin.

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the idea of a God who can't differentiate between sins. But if that's the reality of it, it really doesn't matter what I think.

And I heartily agree with your last paragraph!
  • Hudsonjam driley 2009/08/23 19:47:51
  • Arizona1950 2009/08/22 14:56:13
    The Sin of Pride
    Arizona1950
    +2
    As is written, pride always goes before a fall.
  • Carmin Politano 2009/08/22 13:55:45
    The Sin of Sloth
    Carmin Politano
    +1
    Sloth... The idle hand performs, conceptually, the work of the devil.

Lust... every child born represents two people which felt or feel lust. Without lust mankind would cease to exist.

Gluttony... is eating to much really a sin? DoesNot mass eating represent happiness and celebration?

Greed... causes many to amass much via means which are intended toBe morally correct, but we doNot hear about them. It is the others that give greed a bad name. In reality, greed eliminates sloth.

Wrath... is the most effective tool to eliminate bad behavior in general.

Envy... is bad because the wanted item belongs to someone else and isNot for the one who feels envy to own it.

Pride... is the root of self-confidence and is therefore necessary. Pride becomes bad when it grows to the point that one believes that the self is unable to make a bad choice.
  • Theo Lo... Carmin ... 2009/08/22 17:57:43
    Theo Logian III
    +1
    I'm sure McDonald's & Co would vote to strike Gluttony off the list, perhaps as business-harming propaganda ;-)
  • Theo Lo... Carmin ... 2009/08/22 18:02:29
    Theo Logian III
    +1
    Pride in this context stands for arrogance, not in its common meaning of today. Arrogance is what make stops you from evolving, not to mention its effect on your treatment of others.

But as I already said elsewhere, the list of the deadly sins needs an overhaul to adjust it to our time.
  • Carmin ... Theo Lo... 2009/08/22 19:17:23
    Carmin Politano
    +2
    The 7 deadly sins have been defined by slave masters and given to slaves.
  • driley Carmin ... 2009/08/22 21:40:35
    driley
    +1
    Mind of I disagree on the "lust" thing? I've heard it expressed this way:
    Lust takes. Love gives. People can make love without lust.

And, I hear your final point, but taking pride in your work or even your life, is not the same as the word on this list. One has nothing to do with the other. Sinful pride is self absorbed and careless of others.
  • Carmin ... driley 2009/08/22 21:55:20
    Carmin Politano
    +2
    Anything taken in excess is sinful. Imagine one who loves in excess... He knows that people in prison suffer greatly and that to kill is an expression of hate. Therefore, this excess lover became a warden so that he could express his infinitive love and set people on death row free!

Considering the terms: "Lust takes. Love gives", I have always preached, "Fking takes. Love gives. And that is why fk is a bad word. The act of sex is the creation of children which is our future. Therefore fking is the biggest sin imaginable. Even the murder of a living person doesNot compare to the sin of not providing love to a single child which will teach that attitude to his children and so on and so forth until the result of the multiplication engulfs all of us.
  • driley Carmin ... 2009/08/22 22:08:38
    driley
    +1
    You make some very good points. I think we are making the same point here only our word usage varies. But it seems to contradict your point #2 above.

I do differ with you on the "love in excess" thing. Real love does what is someone's best interest. Real love - excessive love - might keep my daughter home from the best dance of the school year, so she can learn an important lesson about keeping her grades up. On your death-row illustration, real love might actually allow someone to experience the consequences of their behavior. What you describe as "excess love, seems to me more like codependancy.

I agree with your conclusions about the long term effect of producing a child out of lust. All the more reason to go with the "real deal" when it comes to love.

Only love can heal those poor children's hearts.
  • Carmin ... driley 2009/08/22 22:41:38
  • Fingon Celebrindal 2009/08/22 13:55:27
    The Sin of Envy
    Fingon Celebrindal
  • Munchie ~Unbreakable 2009/08/22 13:50:43
    The Sin of Lust
    Munchie ~Unbreakable
    +1
    I think they are all difficult, but I think that lust (not just sexual) is one of the hardest desires to overcome or control.
  • Pete 2009/08/22 11:23:28
    The Sin of Pride
    Pete
    +1
    I beleive all of your options are sin. However, I believe all of your sin mention can be forgiven. The unforgiven sin is those that blasphemy the Holy Spirit that to be is the worse. But yes, Pride, lust, sloth, greed, envy are sinful and will eventually destroy man life. Peace be with you...

2014/09/20 02:00:41