What's the difference between socialism and slavery?

Daryl 2008/10/10 01:09:04
With socialism, the government weilds the lash
Modern slavery limited the oppression to black people, socialism oppresses productive people of all races
Socialism is slavery as a government supported enterprise
Not a whole lot of difference, let's make sure both institutions are abolished
It's hard to find people that defend slavery but easy to find many people who support socialism.

So what's the difference?

• micafe left SodaHead 2008/10/10 02:34:25
    micafe left SodaHead
    +17
    SLAVERY: You work, work, work, live a miserable life and end up with nothing because the Masters take everything.

SOCIALISM: You work, work, work, live a miserable life and end up with nothing because the Government takes everything.

• RichardBartholomew 2010/05/03 09:02:06
    RichardBartholomew
    +3
    Merriam-Websters 11th Collegiate Dictionary defines socialism as, among other things,
    1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    It defines slavery as
    1 : DRUDGERY, TOIL
    2 : submission to a dominating influence
    3 a : the state of a person who is the chattel of another b : the practice of slave holding
    Common ground between the two definitions looks slavery's second definition. Both definitions omit the taking of property by force characteristic of both scenarios.
    Merriam-Webster's third definition is the most surprising:
    3 : a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done.
    On the other hand, this also happens in systems based on slavery. It's all faicomplicated, isn't it?
  • Cosmo K. 2010/04/09 11:29:21
    Cosmo K.
    +3
    There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialism -- by vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide. – Ayn Rand, LA Times,
  • Adam 2009/08/08 14:15:50
    Adam
    +1
    None of the above. Socialism is a failed political ideology based on the distribution of wealth without a mechanism to drive productivity. Slavery is forcing people to do work against there will. They have nothing to do with one another. If anything, there opposites, since socialism doesn't force people to work and distributes wealth too evenly, and slavery forces a few people to work extremely hard, and concentrates wealth into the hands of the very few.

If this comparison has any legitimacy at all, its that extreme capitalism has the common ground with slavery, and socialism is the opposite. Both sides of the equation are still dead wrong. You need a balance. Sure, its not as easy as going to either extreme, but it actually works.
  • Will 2009/02/08 04:17:53
    Will
    To the poster of the quetion. You are really digging deep here. There is no comparison to the barbaric acts of slavery that still exist in so many countries and the effects and scars of wich are still eveident in this country almost 150 years later. I know you want to push your anti Socialism agenda, I have no problem with that, but can you at least be realistic? There was is no response available for a debate. If you already know the answers why ask the question. It is fine to have personal views that differ but you take no reguard to common sense.
  • TruthWarrior 2008/12/19 17:50:39
    Modern slavery limited the oppression to black people, socialism oppresses pr...
    TruthWarrior
    +1
    Modern slavery exists in many forms, some are more transparent, some more latent. Socialism has a mixture of both, using economy, and social engineering among other things. It is insideous, pervasive, and ultimately, harmful for personal and national health. I know of not a single government over a long-term that has truly advanced or thrived to the good because of it. But if we do not learn from the past, we can surely repeat history without much effort. Time will tell for the USA!
  • kimmy "In God I Trust" 2008/10/21 23:03:49
    kimmy "In God I Trust"
    +1
    Socialism sees no color. Every American will experience Obama's plan. Work, work, work and let Obama have it to devide it up as he sees fit. experience obamas plan work work work obama devide sees fit
    Here's what's left for you and your family if Obama wins. Vote McCain/Palin 2008
  • MoodyRed 2008/10/15 10:23:53
    MoodyRed
    +2
    For those who support socialism, all I can think of is," what fools these mortals be" that support it. Absolutely abolish it, as it goes against freedom and the Constitution of our beloved country.

socialism fools mortals support absolutely abolish freedom constitution beloved country
  • Tom Harvey MoodyRed 2009/09/13 20:13:33
    Tom Harvey
    +3
    Do you even know what socialism is?
    Most Americans don't actually know what it is, they just make outrageous claims
  • Bill - McGee - 2012 "I am a... 2008/10/14 21:06:49
    Bill - McGee - 2012 "I am a Terrorist "
    +1
    I like the 4th answer too abolish them both
  • TwoFace12 2008/10/13 21:51:32
  • Daryl TwoFace12 2008/10/13 22:07:36
    Daryl
    +2
    >to each according to his Deed"

do you mean 'need'?

Socialism IS communism in practice.

Need proof?

What was the full name of Soviet communist empire?
  • TwoFace12 Daryl 2008/10/14 00:24:08
  • Daryl TwoFace12 2008/10/14 00:29:34
    Daryl
    +2
  • TwoFace12 Daryl 2008/10/14 01:01:07
  • Bill - ... TwoFace12 2008/10/15 03:10:55
    Bill - McGee - 2012 "I am a Terrorist "
    +2
    well some of them had more than others.. but not many
  • Miranda Daryl 2008/12/08 13:23:57 (edited)
  • SouthernB 2008/10/11 09:07:08
    SouthernB
    +3
    Socialism = war.
  • Jasonefadf SouthernB 2009/09/13 10:44:47
    Jasonefadf
    Really?
    And capitalism doesn't, why don't you check your history and try and find a war where economic gains wasnt an influencing factor. Admittedly the sterotypical veiw of socialism starts with a revolution, but It certainly doesn't have to, and anyway didn't america start with a Revolution?
    The USSR was an aggressor in the Cold War but who on earth could tell me that america wasn't
    I'd love you to back yourself up. Email me at jasonellar@hotmail.co.uk if you have a decent answer, I dont think I'll come back to this site any time soon
  • Tom Harvey Jasonefadf 2009/09/13 20:15:04
    Tom Harvey
    +3
    Finally, someone who knows socialism isn't slavery or one person telling everyone what to do :D
  • Edgar A... Tom Harvey 2011/04/16 18:39:27
    Edgar Allison
    +1
    Ahem, a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state.

Not sounding like telling everyone what to do?

All socialism always comes down to slavery to the collective state and suppression of the individual. Capitalism involves the unequal distribution of wealth.

Socialism involves the equal distribution of misery.
  • SouthernB Jasonefadf 2009/09/13 22:09:46
    SouthernB
    +1
    My comment was more one stating that opposition to socialism is worth no less then war.
  • alw_ays 2008/10/11 05:49:07
    alw_ays
    +1
    And in socialism, the workers go into it voluntarily. That is, if they started out as a democracy and voted in a socialist government.
  • sam i am~i am sam! 2008/10/10 21:37:36
  • believer1 2008/10/10 21:29:47
    believer1
    i think that there is a big difference. Id bet my paycheck that the person who asked this question is white. Slavery is not to be explained or described in a few lines or even a book. It takes years and years of personal experience. It takes sitting beside your grandmother and explain there childhood and there mother and fathers life. Slavery was a total change a mentality to an entire race. Im sure wont believe me so when you get a chance take a glimpse into the barbaric history of slavery by reading the willie lynch letters. Thats simply a dose of what it was like. Whatever you may think socialism is, its not really all that. Your probally thinking more of communism. The basis of socialism is to help people and help support the trampled on in life. That is the foundation of it all. While i dont totally agree with it i think it can sometimes serve its purposes. Im a republican and i stand by what i believe and I also believe in with liberty and justice for all. Something not very popular with most republicans.
  • Daryl believer1 2008/10/10 21:31:38
    Daryl
    +2
    > Id bet my paycheck that the person who asked this question is white.

Please send me your paycheck.

Let's see if you live by your word or you just make statements for effect.
  • Joker 2... Daryl 2008/10/11 17:32:30
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +1
    Looks like you won a bet!
  • Answer Ops 2008/10/10 21:15:06 (edited)
    Answer Ops
    +1
    Socialism is a failed attempt at distribution of wealth at all levels of society - Slavery is every American willing to trust the greed driven globalists and there prospect of a New World Order because once we allow them such power there is no turning back from it and that is tha problem... we the American people are tha answer to opressiom not these fascist pigs my friends in this time of need I ask u to remember independance and tha tyranny our forefathers fought to keep off this soil

Is tha America u look forward to, not me

friends remember independance tha tyranny forefathers fought soil tha america
  • Shooter1001 2008/10/10 20:25:41 (edited)
  • Feline ... Shooter... 2008/10/10 21:54:50
    Feline Lover ~ American Patriot
    +2
    Awesome! Glad to hear someone explain it in layman's terms. Maybe now the liberals will get their heads out of the clouds!
  • Joker 2... Shooter... 2008/10/11 17:30:50
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +1
    The Nazis started out as socialists back in the 20s but as soon as Hitler took over they modedled their government after Italy's(fascist).
  • Shooter... Joker 2... 2008/10/12 14:17:39
  • Joker 2... Shooter... 2008/10/12 20:54:26
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    Very true. The German's didn't do everything the way Italy did. They made some obvious tweeks of their own. That is what probably made Germany the economic power it was during the time.
  • Shooter... Joker 2... 2008/10/15 22:25:14
  • Gary Ke... Joker 2... 2013/10/02 22:05:44
    Gary Kewley
    +2
    There is very little difference between Nazism and communism. They are both centralized and totalitarian and are in fact both extreme left. Nazism being right wing is history's biggest lie. In fact Hitler got most of his ideas from Stalin. The only real difference is that Stalin Subjugated his people by class and Hitler subjugated his by race. Thats it.
  • MoodyRed Shooter... 2008/10/15 10:37:26
    MoodyRed
    +1
    Fantastic!!
  • Shooter... Shooter... 2008/10/16 12:48:46
  • Shooter... Shooter... 2008/10/16 12:53:04 (edited)
  • Kitty we shall overcome! 2008/10/10 19:51:37
    Kitty we shall overcome!
    +2
    Slaves had no choice. They were either brought into it or born into the mess. Socialism, what can we say except we are about to have some left step'n, brainwashed people try to vote it in for us.
  • daxx824 2008/10/10 19:17:04
    daxx824
    +2
    Socialism is where you allow east coast leftist liberal pinheads make decisions for all Americans. These self-annointed elite think they know what's best for you and how best to spend your money. They want govt to run your life from cradle to grave.
  • mrigor 2008/10/10 18:49:37
    mrigor
    +1
    Art you still want to abolish slavery? (4th answer choice)

2014/11/29 00:18:41