What’s Better on a Passport: 'Mother' and 'Father' or 'Parent 1' and 'Parent 2'?

SodaHead News 2011/01/11 22:00:00
As if another battleground was needed over the subject of gay parenting, now the fight has moved into the air. Well, not exactly the air, but the airport anyway.

Thanks to the work of gay-rights supporters, the face of your passport could soon be changing in a way that may strip a bit more of your gender identity.

The State Department has announced that the words “mother” and “father” on U.S. passport applications will now be replaced with the more gender-neutral terms “parent one” and “parent two.” The agency said the change is part of an improvement intended to give a more accurate description of “a child’s parents and in recognition of different types of families.”

While gay parents cheered the news, Christian conservative organizations were quick to pounce on the news and decry the changes.

"Only in the topsy-turvy world of left-wing political correctness could it be considered an 'improvement' for a birth-related document to provide less information about the circumstances of that birth," said Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council in a statement.

Perkins, a longtime foe of same-sex marriage, said the gender neutral terms were "designed to advance the causes of same-sex 'marriage' and homosexual parenting without statutory authority, and violates the spirit if not the letter of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)."

He was referring to the 1996 federal law that legally defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

The new passport applications will be available online next month.

So, which do you prefer? Mom and dad or “parent one” and “parent two?”

• Leantom, the Economic Ratio... 2011/02/08 02:34:47
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    Of course.

Everyone knows that if a man ejaculates into another man's anus a liberal comes out nine months later.

I learned it in developmental biology
  • M.C. Varun 2011/01/14 04:02:50
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    M.C. Varun
    I prefer Parent 1 and Parent 2 just because it's not discriminating against anyone. Yes we all technically have a mother and a father but there are some same sex couples that do adopt and would like to have the right to put parent 1 and parent 2 down instead of mom and dad when the opposite sex isn't involved in that relationship. I know that obviously every child has a mom and a dad but when growing up some have two mommies or two daddies and that is how they view there family. So I can understand why people would want to have the Parent 1 and Parent 2 instead and I agree with it.
  • Alex Catgirl 2011/01/13 22:07:21
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    Alex Catgirl
    The first thing that popped into my head when I read this question was non-traditional families, meaning the children of adoption, or a single mother, usually although there are some single dads, who (re)marry and her spouse "adopts" the children.

being a sperm donor/breeding sow does not make you a parent.
  • Natmike 2011/01/13 21:35:24
    Mom and dad
    Natmike
    I may not agree but I do understand the desire of sincere gay couples to be married - I have some issues with it as I feel that it passes over into the traditional marriage between a man and a woman but I understand the issue and I am open to listening to the other side. This particular issue, while relatively small, reeks of an agenda that is very ugly. It appears that some gay activists are determined to strip even the mention of mother and father because it connotes a heterosexual relationship - the overwhelming majority of people on this planet are still heterosexual and it is plain wrong for a minority to seek each and every opportunity to undermine the status of heterosexual couples raising their families. This is disgusting and mean.
  • rustyshackelford 2011/01/13 19:36:11
  • Lynn 2011/01/13 18:48:27
    Mom and dad
    Lynn
    +1
    this is another example of stupid
  • kayeISkaye 2011/01/13 18:16:41
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    kayeISkaye
    i say this because i happen to know a lesbeon couple and they have a son i know they would feel much better if they were reconized as parents.
  • I am me 2011/01/13 17:53:21
    Mom and dad
    I am me
    Haha... some of these comments are funny..
    Ok, now everyone has a mother and father, whether we like it or not... seeing as sperm comes from the male and eggs come from the female (I can continue with this basic biology lesson if need be)... it doesn't matter if you have two mommies or two daddies... you can only come to be by a male AND a female component...

It doesn't matter if your parent is a crackhead or dead or whatever, you still spawned from them... as much as you would LOVE to deny it...

Anyway, though I see, understand and even accept the reasoning behind using gender neutral terms... the question is what do I prefer... and I prefer mother and father...

Oh and this is on the PASSPORT application... regardless of whether you want to acknowledge a parent or they have died or not... you still have to list them if you know who they are... :-/ I would have rather listed my step-father rather than my father... however, that would defeat the reasoning that they need to check to see if my citizenship is actually valid... thus, I needed to list whomever was on my birth certificate.
  • kayeISkaye I am me 2011/01/13 18:20:40
    kayeISkaye
    +2
    just because we all have a mother and father doesnt mean there your parents. for example if you are a child with gay or devorced parents do you consider the people who made you your parents or the people that take care of you as your parents
  • I am me kayeISkaye 2011/01/13 18:42:36
    I am me
    In the case of the Passports (which is what this particular question is referencing to), it doesn't matter who you would prefer to call your parents... Unless you're preferred parent(s) are your legal guardian(s) and not your biological parent(s)... it doesn't matter who you 'call' your parents in this case... you have to list whomever is your legal parent(s) regardless of whether you like them or not...

Like I said in my original comment, when I applied for my passport I had to list my biological father... even though he hasn't been a parent to me since I was 3.... I had a step-father that was my parent and had been for years... but I HAD to list my father because he still had legal rights to me as a parent and he was listed on my birth certificate.

This isn't a case of what we all would prefer to do... it's a case of what we must do in order to prove we are who we say we are...
  • SilvaKatchiguian 2011/01/13 17:05:33
    Mom and dad
    SilvaKatchiguian
    Perhaps it should read "Sperm Donor" and "Fetus Bearer"! After all, that's where it's headed.
  • sheratan 2011/01/13 16:55:02
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    sheratan
    +1
    Does not discriminate between heterosexuals, gays, lesbians and single parent.
  • LarryFine 2011/01/13 15:52:44
    Mom and dad
    LarryFine
    +1
    Funny.... Next debate from the political correctness freaks will be that "Parent 2" is somehow degrading and discriminatory.
  • Loctia 2011/01/13 10:24:18 (edited)
  • WagonMaster 2011/01/13 07:56:56
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    WagonMaster
    +1
    It simply suits the current makeup of families today better. More than 60% of families are made up of step-parent households.

Parent One and Parent Two fits this best.
  • TheNightFly 2011/01/13 04:08:30 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    I think it's "none of the above". First of all, why even have this information on passports? Is it on all passports or just those issued to minors? I don't see why it's necessary to include parental information on adult passports. For minors, the only point is to identify who to contact if the kid gets lost or hurt and that doesn't necessarily mean blood relatives. So the info should be more specific than 'mother', 'father' or 'parent'. It should list "Legal Guardians".
  • garyt212 2011/01/13 03:29:47
    Mom and dad
    garyt212
    +1
    Everyone has a mother and father...this PC crap is ridiculous!
  • Pecos Sal 2011/01/13 03:15:37
    Mom and dad
    Pecos Sal
    +1
    The thing about all of the political correct change it is to divide the country, the communist manifesto, Mein Kampf and the New Left state that deconstruction, existentialism, postmodernism, pragnatism, relativism; all of these ideas had the same purpose... to erode the iron chains of tradition, dessolve the concrete foundations of truth. Destroy what exist so they can build a New World Order.
  • ♥əmma~*In Padfoot I trust*~♥ 2011/01/13 02:23:51
    Mom and dad
    ♥əmma~*In Padfoot I trust*~♥
    ...Is Father and Father too much to ask? Or Mother and Mother?

And I mean...well everyone has a mom and dad.
  • celeste murph 2011/01/13 01:39:30
    Parent 1 and parent 2
    celeste murph
    +1
    whos to say a lesbian or gay couple with a child was to get on bored no one should catigorize it as mother and or father
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/01/13 00:51:44
  • Steve 2011/01/13 00:32:02
    Mom and dad
    Steve
    +2
    So how many people's feelings will be hurt because they are "Parent 2" I wonder...
  • ♥əmma~*... Steve 2011/01/13 02:24:26
    ♥əmma~*In Padfoot I trust*~♥
    haha!!
  • garyt212 Steve 2011/01/13 03:31:00
    garyt212
    LOL!
  • Garciataria 2011/01/13 00:26:16 (edited)
    Mom and dad
    Garciataria
    +1
    Oh, sure, "Parents 1 and 2" are gender neutral, but they still rule out legal guardians.

I've seen this question before on SH, and some people have said both their parents are dead. Then what?
  • FordCrews 2011/01/12 23:59:18
    FordCrews
    +5
    Just mother, 50% of the births in this nation have no clue who the father is.
  • nightlight 2011/01/12 23:32:01
    Mom and dad
    nightlight
    +1
    This "Parent 1" and "Parent 2" nonsense is just another example of how far some people are willing to go to twist reality to fit some perverted version of it and the endless insanity that political correctness promotes.
  • Brother Bo 2011/01/12 23:10:11
    Mom and dad
    Brother Bo
    +3
    If you don't define a marriage as "any two consenting adults" then you won't have to worry about questions like this. Or if you don't allow same sex couples to adopt and confuse a child, you won't have to worry about questions like this. A homosexual poster here on SH told me that some TV star and his male partner just had twins so the "gay bloodline" would continue. "OH?" I replied, " Which one of them gave birth, which one is the mother?" He asked me why I should concentrate on the biological aspect. BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS A FATHER AND A MOTHER. We are not robots who have assembler one and assembler two, we are humans with parents. biological aspect father mother robots assembler assembler humans parents

It really only works one way.
  • Cody T Brother Bo 2011/01/12 23:25:17
    Cody T
    yes everyone has a mother and father. you were shooting blanks (i am assuming you are male) and you couldnt get your wife pregnant. you might have to use a sperm donor. what you want the sperm donor and your wife to be on your kids passport or you and your wife since you are raising the kid?
  • Brother Bo Cody T 2011/01/13 00:08:47
    Brother Bo
    +2
    At least it would be a mother and a father not "Thing One and Thing Two" like a Dr. Seuss book.
  • Cody T Brother Bo 2011/01/13 00:35:48
    Cody T
    so you wouldnt mind if you werent on it but the sperm donor was?
  • nightlight Brother Bo 2011/01/12 23:35:25
    nightlight
    +1
    Excellent comment. Thanks for having the intelligence, courage and high quality of character to tell the truth that so many don't want to hear.
  • celeste... Brother Bo 2011/01/13 01:42:09
    celeste murph
    so its ok for a man and a woman to adopt but ur saying a homosexual couple in wich two people love each other should have no right to adopt a child and be parents? well i think ur just a homophobic basterd
  • Brother Bo celeste... 2011/01/13 14:14:07
    Brother Bo
    +1
    You shouldn't display your ignorance in a public forum like this. You apparently attended a liberal government indoctrination center (public school). Homo=man, phobic=fearful, homophobic=fearful of man. You can't just slap two words together and think they mean something. I do not fear men, I do not fear men who love men. Thinking that something is blatantly wrong doesn't mean you are afraid of it, it just means that you consider it blatantly wrong. Consider the unfortunate orphan adopted to a same sex couple. The child will grow up thinking that the situation is normal, then when the child is old enough to go out into the world and discovers that it is not normal, it can cause unnecessary trauma, learning that Daddy 1 and Daddy 2 or Mommy 1 and Mommy 2 were lying all these years. Would you wish that trauma on an unfortunate orphan? As for the misspelled "basterd", you again display your ignorance of word meanings. a "Bastard" is a male child born out of wedlock. I confess to being born a male child, but my parents were married for 3 years before I was born. I have heard for years that "Ignorance is Bliss", you must be deliriously happy. I wish you well. 3 years born heard years ignorance bliss deliriously happy
  • RobertJ... Brother Bo 2011/01/13 15:20:36
    RobertJames
    I went to one of those Liberal indoctrination centers too!

I learned the Latin prefix homo means "Same" not man.

As in Homogenius: Having a uniform composition or nature.
    Homozygous: Having identical genetic alleles for the same trait.

You might want to mind your own tongue before you display your ignorance in public forum just as you were saying.
  • Brother Bo RobertJ... 2011/01/13 16:34:00
    Brother Bo
    +1
    So homophobic means you are afraid of the same? You understand that they think homophobic means you are afraid of homos (homosexuals/lesbians/perverted individuals). You are missing the point I was trying to make. Thinking that something is blatantly wrong doesn't mean you are afraid of it, it just means that you consider it blatantly wrong. Ketchup on iced cream is just wrong! That doesn't mean I'm afraid of it, it just means that it's wrong!
  • RobertJ... Brother Bo 2011/01/13 16:57:20
    RobertJames
    Who is "they"?
  • Brother Bo RobertJ... 2011/01/13 21:28:07
    Brother Bo
    "They" is the people who like to throw silly words around like they mean something. I have been called so many different things by liberal posters on SH and I have shed zero tears over any of them. When "they" throw names and silly words at me, I fart in their general direction.
  • celeste... Brother Bo 2011/01/15 15:41:17
    celeste murph
    OK what ever what are you like 30 something get a life besides correcting a 14 yr old i mean if this is your high light for the day then im just guessing you have no friends or any one to talk to on here and homo meant to of the same.. you know like homozygous as in meaning same alleles in the same trait dumb @ss im not as stupid as you think i am but what ever i could give a care less on what you do you lonely old man
  • BlueMax372 2011/01/12 22:34:59
    Mom and dad
    BlueMax372
    +2
    What's next? A race-neutral passport? That'll be interesting.

2014/04/23 13:51:18