What would you do if after working 20 years for a company you got laid off, and could not find another job to support your family

Junkables 2009/12/22 03:39:30
Unemployment - It seems the only jobs left here in the states are jobs in the service industry – teaching, healthcare, food – Being I worked in a factory for 20 years and only really had the one job in my life and too old to go back to school – what now – made descent money and had good health insurance now all that is gone – just when I thought I would be helping my children out in getting their lives started I have to try and get my life back on track some how

Read More: http://www.junkables.com

• 2012/08/08 19:37:22
    +2
    I know how you feel i am 53 years old they just closed my plant after 50 years...I been working steady for 38 years,,,can't find a good paying job...I will be living in my car soon when my UE benifits run out..what the hell happen to this country???????????
  • jerrbear 2010/05/01 17:22:16
    jerrbear
    +1
    That happened to me one time, just went into another line of work, This is also how I have gotten other types of job experience in the process,
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2010/05/01 16:25:02
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    Well. In 1992, I was laid off after 16 years. The plant I worked for closed and there was nothing like it west of the Mississippi River. I cashed in my IRA and went to a Community College and took a year course in Computer Support. I had been working with personal computers for 10 years as a hobby, so I did well. I even got my first 4.0 GPA in my life one term. Still, after that, there was more than a year when I could find nothing but minimum wage employment (when there was that). Finally, I found employment 50 miles away in Portland, Oregon and moved my family there. That job lasted 7 years. Before the job ended, my wife left me and divorced me, taking our daughter with her. My right big toe was amputated and I started using a walker, getting around on the bus system. I spent two years looking for work with the walker before having a second amputation and ending up in a nursing home on Disability. I wish you better luck than I had, though I am currently being well taken care of.
  • Junkables Dave Sa... 2010/05/01 16:30:45
    Junkables
    We have had a little better luck - well as far as my husband and I staying together. I believe that this is the time for us to become closer.
    But our relationship has been the only luck we have had. It has been very hard paying bills when you do not have that steady paycheck coming in like we were used to.
    But it has giving us other opportunities like trying to build up a website that my twin sister and i have started for antiques - http://www.junkables.com
  • Dave Sa... Junkables 2010/05/01 16:34:49
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    My daughter, who is 20, has told me she has sold "stuff" on e-Bay. It seems to be her only income, though she is still living with her mother. She has been trying to go to college (same community college I went to) but is having health problems that the doctors haven't figured out.
  • Junkables Dave Sa... 2010/05/01 16:39:38
    Junkables
    Our website is somewhat like ebay - except we do not charge for people to list and sell their items. We let members list their items for free. and we just try to make money off of our advertisments. i hope that your Daughter can find out what is wrong - she is very young to already have health problems.
  • Dave Sa... Junkables 2010/05/01 16:46:21
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    She was born 6 days after her due date, yet she was small. She was in the lowest 5% for weight at her age. Though the doctors tried special formula, etc., that did not change. She began reading in kindergarten very well, and we home schooled her the first three grades. She had chicken pox twice (yes, twice). After her mother left with her when she was ten, I kept in touch with her by mail weekly until she got on the internet. We have communicated since by email, and Facebook, and even here on Sodahead.
  • Amy ...AKA Dudess 2009/12/22 23:39:33
    Amy ...AKA Dudess
    +1
    I have no clue I am also job hunting, But I havent worked outside the home for years so its kind of tough finding something.
  • wombat 2009/12/22 17:37:48
    wombat
    +1
    Do business...
  • Junkables 2009/12/22 17:11:02
    Junkables
    +2
    It seems the only jobs left here in the states are jobs in the service industry – teaching, healthcare, food – Being I worked in a factory for 20 years and only really had the one job in my life and too old to go back to school – what now – made descent money and had good health insurance now all that is gone – just when I thought I would be helping my children out in getting their lives started I have to try and get my life back on track some how
  • Dave Sa... Junkables 2010/05/01 16:27:11 (edited)
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    I was 43 when I went back to school. I'd go again if I got the opportunity.
  • Diamond Girl 2009/12/22 17:01:18
  • shellydraven 2009/12/22 13:52:07
    shellydraven
    try a temp agency, that's what companies pay them for.
  • Giantfan 2009/12/22 12:50:09
    Giantfan
    I worked 30 yrs. for a company that closed it's doors and moved to Mexico. Those who were old enough to retire did so and others had no choice but to find other jobs. That was 2001. Some found good jobs others didn't and some needed to leave the area to get a good paying job. That's life.
  • Junkables Giantfan 2009/12/22 14:25:36
    Junkables
    I just wonder why so many corporations are moving out of the States or just closing all together, Why can their not be some kind of stimulus plan to get companies to stay in the US so that everyone who wants to work can and still make a good living
  • Giantfan Junkables 2009/12/22 16:39:57
    Giantfan
    +1
    Greed on the part of companies (higher profits and they don't have to pay benifits like healthcare and retirement) and on the part of consumers. They want lower prices. Our company built a new plant in Mexico, paid them anout $2.85 an hour then closed it in two years to move to China. Cheaper labor. Once again it all comes back to greed.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS 2009/12/22 06:33:12
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    +1
    im trying to figure out what im going to do after losing my job of 16 years.
    want to cash in my 401 to prepare for the worst.
  • Giantfan marcuss... 2009/12/22 16:47:31
    Giantfan
    I BELIEVE PEOPLE WHO LOST THEIR JOBS ARE OFFERED SCHOOLING TO BE RETRAINED IN ANOTHER JOB. MANY FROM OUR PLANT WENT FOR THE TRAINING. SOME WENT FOR NURSING. GOOD PAY AND AS MUCH JOB SECURITY AS POSSIBLE. THOUGH THERE IS TRAINING FOR OTHER JOBS. YOU DO THIS AS YOU COLLECT. GOOD LUCK.
  • marcuss... Giantfan 2009/12/22 16:50:03 (edited)
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    +1
    25 years working as a mechanical engineer/project manager i just need a job not retraining.
    i didnt spend 80k to become a nurse.

i need one of those "shovel ready" jobs.
  • Giantfan marcuss... 2009/12/22 18:45:47
    Giantfan
    +1
    Good luck.
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2009/12/22 04:30:17
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +1
    I'd go down to the local Workforce Center and find out what they have in the way of re-training and how much they can help pay for it. There are all kinds of programs out there right now and I'd take advantage of it. Find a new career and then find a new job. Not easy, but that's where I'd start.
  • Junkables BlytheS... 2009/12/22 04:32:52
    Junkables
    +2
    Would like to know if there is anything in the stimulus package for things like this and what to do about losing insurance too
  • BlytheS... Junkables 2009/12/22 04:35:59
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    There is a ton of money through the Recovery Act at Workforce Centers to help with retraining and intensive job searches. I'm afraid I don't know of any money available for loss of insurance. That's why we need health care reform in this country!
  • richie 2009/12/22 04:24:43
  • Werkea 2009/12/22 04:12:31
    Werkea
    +1
    invest stock , join non-profit organization
  • Peter Quan 2009/12/22 03:52:30
    Peter Quan
    +1
    Go back to the military.
  • Elizabeth 2009/12/22 03:42:44
  • Junkables Elizabeth 2009/12/22 03:52:33
    Junkables
    +1
    Already done that
  • Dave Sa... Junkables 2010/05/01 16:31:11
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    That only helps for a short while, doesn't it?

2014/10/21 20:01:12