What would happen if everyone stopped working for one week?

Miss Lori 2008/10/10 20:26:08
The economy is in the toilet, and the system is broken. "They" are telling us it's going to get worse, and considering who's telling us, I believe that it isn't speculation, but a warning from those who are making it happen. What if we preempted their plans, and prevented them from milking the last of the profits, by refusing to cooperate? Some of us are already hurting for basics, and thousands are days from homelessness. What's a few days or weeks? If everyone stopped working, the economy would grind to a halt instantly, and those corporate hogs would feel it, too. The governments would have the entire burden placed on their shoulders, which serves them right for allowing this corruption to continue for so long. They want us to believe that things are going to get much worse, so why wait for it? Why don't we just sink this ship ourselves, and start over?

Would we share food with our neighbors to help them weather the storm? Would we pool our resources? Would we come up with new ideas to get by? Would we develop commerce amongst ourselves?

• Rachel 2010/08/30 23:21:14
    It would be worth a try, and here's why:
    Rachel
    +3
    what i propose that we as americans do is October 25, 2010. all american stop shopping and spending money. means no gas, clothing etc.
    and we tell the government that were all on strike, an until our needs are met were done! if you need food contact your local farmers market. they usually sell food, soap etc.
    If we the people all stood together it would work. but know this it would get bad. but we would see the light soon. if we dont do anything were going to all be screwed.

• Agent 2013/03/06 17:39:13
    Agent
    Something BIG is Coming to ALL People in the USA !!!!!!!!!! The Plan is already in affect !!! Chavez is Dead ,,, Pope Resigns ,, Federal Reserve Hostile USA Takes Over !!!! People will be starved ,, drones fly over USA cities !!!! WARNING YOU ARE IN GRAVE DANGER !!!! WE MUST PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES BEFORE GLOBAL ORDER IS COMPLETED !!! Everyone in the USA is the property of Those Countries who control Global Economy ,,, Fight Back Before Your Freedom is Taken Away By LAWS and Tricks of Peace ,,, PLEASE PASS THIS INFO ON IF YOU WISH TO BE FREE ,,, " FOLLOW THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES " NOT WHAT THE GLOBAL INVESTORS ARE IN CONTROL OF ,,, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!
  • dackstarr 2011/05/01 17:05:48
    dackstarr
    I like the idea and would extend it to 1 to 5 years. We are living in a bubble society of slaves. Lets see what happens. Sure it would hurt and people would die but heck thats happening now. Its one way to snap out of this slave state we are living in. Try it and see what happens.
  • QuinnSysmith 2010/09/28 19:52:04
    QuinnSysmith
    I think its a great idea, but a week might be to long. People have to provide for their families, but everybody taking a sick day on the same day might work to show the governments of the world what we are capable of-I know there is a movement starting up called "The Human Strike" and it's purpose is to make the world governments aware that humans are tired of killing and dieing for the greed and richness of the very few. That war is not necessary in this day and age. I'm sure the founder will be arrested for promoting peace in this day and age, but at least they will be in good company (Gandhi, M.L.K, Jesus, Budda, etc) I figure if your not arrested or assassinated because of a peace movement then your not doing enough to make the world a better place for it's inhabitants.
  • Rachel 2010/08/30 23:21:14
    Rachel
    +3
  • Socrates (The Gadfly) 2008/10/23 11:00:43
    I don't know.
    Socrates (The Gadfly)
    it would tick them off, but ..

1. coordination and cooperation for the strike of an entire country would be difficult.
    2. we would all go back to work after a week and they would still be laughing at us ..
  • Mollydolly 2008/10/15 22:45:32
    Mollydolly
    +1
    I love the concept but highly doubt it would work. Not for a week. Look at all those people that have gone out on strike and it takes months. hell the gov will just print even more money. and laugh at how screwed we all are.
  • the dead redcoat 2008/10/11 10:39:00
    the dead redcoat
    +1
    if you are patient you might find out, if this mess isnt borought under control
  • MS 2008/10/10 20:47:51
    It wouldn't work, and here's why:
    MS
    +2
    "The governments would have the entire burden placed on their shoulders"

The "government" are only the whores (Barney & Chris) that we keep sending there over and over and over. They have no money except what they can get out of us and they waste almost all of that. If we don't work, what does it mean? It means no goods or services available to our neighbors.

"Milk the last of the profits" What profits?

I made an OK living and employed 75 people that I CARE ABOUT and took care of very well. Under the Obama plan my taxes would go from 35 to 50% because I'm supposedly one of the "rich" (I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination).

At 50% tax I would be left with next to nothing for the 70 hour weeks I work. I'd be working for free to provide jobs. I'm not independently wealthy and can't afford to do that.

It looks like the O will win and my business will be worth much less later. Sadly I decided to accept an offer from a competitor to buy my business for 1/2 what was worth a month ago. I took it. Unfortunately this guy will lay everyone off and send the work overseas.

This is an example of "change you can believe in".
  • Miss Lori MS 2008/10/10 21:11:58
    Miss Lori
    But the net result was that 75 people are out of work, and your business no longer contributes to this economy. Not only can you not afford to work 70 hours a week for free, but the 75 people that lost their jobs can't afford to not work. Who wins? The guy that sucked up your business while it was vulnerable? You would have been better off if you had kept it. You got out while the getting was available, but in the end, it just contributed to the problem. "Every man for himself" is the mentality of the corporations and banks that made this mess. The government is culpable, because they present selfish greed as the backbone of the economy, and that is patently false. The economy depends on cooperation. Nobody can blame you for selling a failing business, but what is the use of your care for your employees now? In essense, you are saying that you cared about them until you saw yourself suffering.
  • MS Miss Lori 2008/10/12 12:00:00 (edited)
    MS
    +2
    You aren't quite getting it. At 35% tax, I can (and would) hang in there and fight. At 50% tax, I'm losing money. It's not a big corporate thing, it's a kitchen table thing for my family like in Dad's away from us for 70 hours a week and he brings home the mortgage and grocery payments, or he's away for 70 hours a week and brings home nothing.

Bring home nothing is the future at 50% tax. I wouldn't be able to afford to pay my people anyway and I would be better off managing a 7-11. I put 30 years of 70 hour weeks into this thing and my choice is ride it down to nothing or sell now for a crappy, but secure retirement where I can afford to pay my utilities and groceries, but not much more. I'm the main street business guy, not the CEO of some wall street company.

The business wasn't failing yet (why it is still sellable) but it would be under O's tax plan and at that time it would be woith way less, as who would want to buy a business with zero after tax profits ? Would you ?

YES, it's "Every man for himself", just like at your and everyone else's family, as in when presented with the choice of feed and clothe your family or work for free, for NO money so you can employ others, it's a simple decision regardless of how much you like the people you employ.

Most small businesses make a fe...''

Most small businesses make a few percent profit at their current tax rate. A bump up and they are making no profit or losing money and can't afford to employ people. So when you bump up one small business owner's taxes, you not only cause him to be unemployed, but also all the people that worked for him (or her). Many of us are trying to get out now, while there are still a few coins to salvage.

2014/04/17 10:17:36