What would happen if america made it mandatory for anyone that wanted to work to be a member of a union?

Razoreye001 2012/04/18 20:06:34
Related Topics: Union, America

• JanHopkins 2012/04/19 04:45:31
    JanHopkins
    I have no desire to give up my right to speak for myself. I have found unions to be pretty darn ineffective as compared to my own forthright communication.
  • David Lindner 2012/04/19 03:26:53
    David Lindner
    good bye to manufacturing jobs as well as others.
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/04/18 23:13:40
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    those that understand the importance of organized labor form unions.

Forcing shops to become union when the employees dont want it would be a quick way to kill organized labor.
  • Razorey... Joe Shw... 2012/04/19 01:57:27
    Razoreye001
    +1
    so the pointy stick approach isn't a good idea?
  • Joe Shw... Razorey... 2012/04/19 02:08:04
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    yeah as much as I would like to see us return to labor having more power I would rather see it happen organically.
  • God bless American freedom 2012/04/18 20:57:30
    God bless American freedom
    +2
    this would be absolute irrevocable proof Americans are STUPID.
  • Razorey... God ble... 2012/04/18 20:58:30
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/18 23:28:35 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    you need to do is to study human history.on a plane which goes beyond and above the world of today. Easiest way to do this s to simply read the four major " holy " books.

We cannot/do not hate people because they are stupid/ignorant...but you must educate yourself COMPLETELY to learn what love truly means( meaning BOTH sides ... No one knows everything but the God people claim there is . And none of us is a God eh? And as well none of us should ever expect that learning to end at any point...

I want you to know.. I think your answers are marvelous ... I think you are marvelous.. and I want you to know you and I are close to age ... but upbringing.. ? Perhaps not.. but that can also be changed simply by education. Choosing to learn MORE and MORE and MORE and to not hate people... but to hate the lies people are told.

Do you see what I impart?
  • Razorey... God ble... 2012/04/19 00:32:05
    Razoreye001
    you want to know more about me and not just participate in another verbal slug fest like everyone else seems to want? That is a refreshing change from the norm around here.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/19 14:57:37
    God bless American freedom
    Gregory... everyone is like me really , and like you. The trial , if one shall call it that , is very few have parenting such as mine and possibly as you. My parents have so many children you would probably not believe it unless you saw us all... and they have parents who escaped from evil upbringings ( both sides ) ... my parents love us all with an intensity which amazes me because I so often see the strange quietness of others whose lives mean relatively little to their own families... it is a sadness and a loneliness which aches beyond the heart .... .

I have had friends who are so jealous of the zeal my parents have they have frequently wished outloud they could be my sisters and brothers... family dinners at my house are raucous and wild and free ... no one is required to shut up or be silent or is ignored.... not one. Everyone is heard and loved and served and serves..

My parents taught me that. And I know how important it is.

ALL of us is important. Each and every person. Each thought.

But there is not enough time as a human for all of us to pay absolute close attention to every single thing eh? And so , I hate to admit it , I do have people whom I do block on occasion whose lives seem to not be able to expand beyond ...
    well, not sure of that limit yet... we ...

well, not sure of that limit yet... we all deserve love and respect eh? but there are some arguments which are useless and I do apologise to any i have had to "ignore/block" here in Sodahead... I cannot do everything nor can anyone else but God. ( I do believe there is one. )

And so Gregory... of course I care.. everyone does eh? You certanly do. The thing is .. taking the time , the effort to say it .. to prove it... and to choose arguments or discussions ( sodahead here ) one can relate to eh?

Also women ( i am one of those ) tend to communicate far more than males. lol :)

Notice? lol :)
  • Razorey... God ble... 2012/04/19 15:38:08
    Razoreye001
    Well as far as my upbringing I am a child of a single mother, I live with my mother and my uncle. I mostly raised myself, my mom had a hands off policy when it came to raising me. This is probably why I am so different from the rest of my family who are christian conservatives. I learned to love science at a young age and right now hope to get a degree in human developement and a minor in political science. It was my experiences that made me liberal and my love of learning is how I came to be a strong defender of it. I try my best at not blocking people but some people just end up trolling so I have to.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/19 15:56:11 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    I understand. I love the sciences as well.. in particular archaeology and political science....

You seem to be just a few years younger than I in school from what you say, not sure, but no matter.

To help your human development classes... the easiest way I have found to bolster human psychiatry/psychology easiest way in my schoolng now ? ( and also somewhat needed and required scholastically ) Read torah... nt ... qa'ran ... hadith of Bukhari .. fastest way to "the truth about humans " and politics 101. Then everything seems to make more sense when understanding what propells humans decision making throughout history.

I would never call my parents "conservatives" or " liberals" but their political bend seems to bow toward ensuring a fiscally sound future/provision freedom in everyway for generations beyond how much can be spent at this moment , if you know what I mean? I have never heard them utter anything which does not make sense when it comes to money and they have HAD to make sure more money is coming into the household than is going OUT of the household ... and being spent with great care and wisdom and restraint.

Their liberal bend is with love and hugs and kisses and encouragement ( and good food ) ... because those are the only irreplaceable currency which true love unbound has.

Do you see what I mean?
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/04/18 20:56:07
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +2
    The middle class would thrive again.
  • wolf sloan 2012/04/18 20:34:59
    wolf sloan
    +3
    Nothing would get done
  • Razorey... wolf sloan 2012/04/18 20:41:00
    Razoreye001
    how so?
  • wolf sloan Razorey... 2012/04/18 21:07:14
    wolf sloan
    +1
    Everybody would go on strike or on break, Just like the unions do now.
  • Joe Shw... wolf sloan 2012/04/18 23:14:17
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    name one strike going on now.
  • Razorey... wolf sloan 2012/04/19 00:32:38
    Razoreye001
    people only strike when their not being treated like people.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/19 15:01:18 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    then the unions here in America need to revise everything.... personal goals, family goals , their union goals ...their leadership .. et al. It is that important for the future freedom financially and informationaly of this nation.

We have been forced into indebtednes to the Chinese ... and on occasion their policy is to slice babes from the womb in accordance with laws concernng population control ( historical facts )

And unions helped Obama into office and he supports islam/shari'a.in which females and children and non muslims are considered the propety of muslim males.

The problem with allowing people to "control" everything about us ... is that they want to ....
  • Iamfree 2012/04/18 20:29:09
    Iamfree
    +1
    It would no longer be America.
  • Razorey... Iamfree 2012/04/18 20:39:20
    Razoreye001
    So worker's right's are unamerican?
  • Iamfree Razorey... 2012/04/18 21:23:20
    Iamfree
    +2
    No, but forcing someone to join a group he has no wish to join is.
  • Razorey... Iamfree 2012/04/19 00:34:23
    Razoreye001
    Well this would protect the rights of all so no corporation could treat their employees as disposable. I think the ends justify the means on this one. But you do bring up a valid concern.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/20 16:52:46 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    Gregory .. this does not protect any rights except those of the unions who also want to control the workers. Illogical.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/20 16:51:52
    God bless American freedom
    supporting having groups politically / financially motivated to owning workers rights IS definitely UNAmerican.. yes.
  • bob 2012/04/18 20:18:26
    bob
    +5
    Many places of employment would close shop
  • Razorey... bob 2012/04/18 20:21:48
    Razoreye001
    +1
    why, it would seem only the ones that rely on slave labor would close.
  • bob Razorey... 2012/04/18 20:29:15
    bob
    +3
    According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, between 2009 and 2010 unions lost 612,000 members - a loss of 339,400 on private payrolls and a loss of 273,000 in government employment.

As a result, the percent of the total workforce that belonged to unions fell from 12.3 in 2009 to 11.9 in 2010. On private payrolls it fell from 7.2 to 6.9 percent and in government employment it fell from 37.4 to 36.2 percent.

The source of the information is the BLS's Current Population Survey. In both instances the small increases were within the margin of error for the survey. Click here to see the whole BLS "Union Members Summary" report for 2010.

There's a good reason union membership is so much higher in government. Politicians have bartered the dues of public employees for union political support. Maybe public employees are getting tired of being exploited for the political gains of their union bosses and the politicians.

There was a time when things were different. In the mid 1950's more than 35 percent of all employees on private payrolls were union members. But then unions decided to focus more on political power than representing the interests of workers. Not surprisingly union membership has been on the decline ever since.

Unions like to blame their failure on opposition from management b...

Unions like to blame their failure on opposition from management but the fact is that the working people of American have rejected the unions' class-warfare, us-against-them approach to employment.

Proof of this is available from several sources. According to a 1999 Gallup survey only 21 percent of employees who aren't union members would like to be in a union.

A Zogby Poll conducted in 2005 found that only 16 percent of employees said they would definitely vote for union representation compared to 38 percent who said they would definitely vote against. When you combine those who would definitely and probably vote for a union compared to those would would definitely or probably vote against a union the numbers were 36 percent for and 56 percent against with the rest undecided.

Another indication is the results of National Labor Relations Board Elections. Even though employment covered by the NLRB grew by more than 2.3 million jobs in 2006, the NLRB conducted only 1,755 union representation elections covering 87,172 employees. Unions won 60 percent of these elections, but they don't petition the NLRB to conduct an election until they think they have a pretty good shot at winning.

In other words, even when they thought they had a good shot at it, the unions only won 60 percent of the time and only tried to organize workers in less than 4 percent of the new jobs.

The NLRB also conducts decertification elections - elections where employees petition to get rid of a union - the unions lose about 65 percent of the time.
  • Razorey... bob 2012/04/18 20:38:56
    Razoreye001
    Most people are misguided about all the good unions do for people.
  • bob Razorey... 2012/04/18 20:43:26
    bob
    +3
    and you are misguided on how non union shops can be good as well, why not just have freedom, if you want to join a union then join and if not, don't
  • Razorey... bob 2012/04/18 20:44:36
    Razoreye001
    +1
    I was talking in hypotheticals, it is my opinion this would preserve the rights of the middle class better.
  • bob Razorey... 2012/04/18 20:45:31
    bob
    +3
    I understand what you was meaning, i was using the same logic back, why not just promote freedom instead?
  • Razorey... bob 2012/04/18 20:57:49
    Razoreye001
    we would return to sweatshops just look at China.
  • bob Razorey... 2012/04/18 21:00:40
    bob
    +2
    I have a non union shop with employees, why would they need to unionize? we treat everyone well, market dictates what we pay, not a union thug . Many times we make squat just to keep people here in a job
  • wolf sloan bob 2012/04/18 21:08:23
    wolf sloan
    +2
    Sounds like my job.
  • Razorey... bob 2012/04/19 00:28:50
    Razoreye001
    well someone needs to be their to make sure history doesn't repeat itself because in a world without unions is a world where employers have complete control of employees.
  • bob Razorey... 2012/04/19 15:44:06
    bob
    as opposed to unions controlling your life?
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/20 16:55:05 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    supporting unions instead of freedom ensures the stupidity of repetition of history in which unions or governments or both ... own humans.
  • God ble... Razorey... 2012/04/25 01:11:36 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    Our entire BI-partisan government has forced the USA into financial indebtedness to China with the politcal help from unions, Gregory.
  • Razorey... God ble... 2012/04/25 01:51:08
    Razoreye001
    The unions created the middle class, that is the private sector's fault the private sector is the problem not the solution. We need better regulation because the private sector is a necessary evil that is needed for free competition and liberty but someone needs to set rules for the competition otherwise were back to wage slavery and debtor's prison.

2014/10/26 01:20:11