What Will You Remember Most About Film Critic Roger Ebert?

ABC News U.S. 2013/04/04 20:00:00
Roger Ebert was a Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic who reached celebrity status in the early '80s. Click on the link below for ten things to remember about the acclaimed film critic, who passed away on Thursday afternoon. What will you remember most about him?

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/10-t...

• Bob, the reasonable one 2013/04/05 23:33:37
    his film review shows with critic Gene Siskel
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +4
    he was very witty...I had a tendency to agree with Siskell's opinion more than Ebert's but it was such a great show....

• MOMMA THOMAS 2013/04/09 18:18:51
    other
    MOMMA THOMAS
    "THUMBS UP!"
  • luke 2013/04/09 00:13:19
    other
    luke
    +1
    "Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking soundbites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, ‘that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about ‘The Basketball Diaries’?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machinegun?”

The obscure 1995 Leonardo DiCaprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. Kids and teachers at school will see...

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. Kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, “The NBC Nightly News” and other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them.

The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy."

- Roger Ebert
  • the jud... luke 2013/08/03 01:22:23
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    That is a great theory.And the networks do all that.Now kids who commit crimes will be famous & have their own You Tube type show on the networks many different versions.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2013/04/08 17:18:06
    Just Jenn for Now
    Of course his time with Siskel. It was a near 30-year run with his pal, probably longer than that if you include off-camera.
    But despite that, Roger Ebert was more than just "and Ebert", if you know what I mean. He stood out even beyond the loss of his great companion and friend.

But the good news is now they're reunited after 14 years, and they'll probably continue watching and discussing films in heaven - well, after they catch up that is. After all, the Siskel and Ebert gig wasn't just about entertainment and agreeing or disagreeing between movie critics, it was a PASSION they both had for film, and that's why we loved them.
  • David 2013/04/08 14:36:44
    David
    I used to enjoy watching Sneak Previews on PBS although I thought the show was too short. I never cared much for Ebert and liked Siskel a lot better. I found him to be whiny and bitchy when he and Gene debated movies although he made good points about some.
  • cooltomboy 2013/04/08 06:04:25
    other
    cooltomboy
    His scary jaw
  • Luxxie 2013/04/08 03:19:22
    his movie reviews
    Luxxie
    I love his reviews, the man had very good insight and all the movies he recommended were very good.
  • Jeff 2013/04/08 02:29:53
    his movie reviews
    Jeff
    His reviews of movies were accurate and honest :--)
  • Steven Carr 2013/04/08 02:00:14
    Steven Carr
    watched it with my father
  • Jeh 2013/04/08 00:30:39
    Jeh
    About how Siskel and Ebert's jobs were to sit around, watch movies, with their thumbs up...
  • FanOreilly 2013/04/07 22:49:00
    other
    FanOreilly
    His anti-Israel and anti-US left-wing activism.

Rot in hell, scum bag. You were disgusting to look at alive. Decompose in a hole where you belong.
  • Eric 2013/04/07 21:47:52
    other
    Eric
    That he directed one of the worst movies ever.
  • Jimm 2013/04/07 19:56:28
    Jimm
    Even though they were actually rivals and reportedly had little respect for each other off camera, I thought they were trailblazers in the on air movie review format. They forever gave America the "thumbs up/thumbs down" system of rating things.
  • Sodahead Guru 2013/04/07 19:35:41
    his books
    Sodahead Guru
    I like to be in the minority.
  • 2013/04/07 19:11:52
    other
    I'll remember him for always having a big lip about some film I liked... ◔◡◔
  • Brad 2013/04/07 18:05:51
  • hermit57 2013/04/07 14:00:01
    other
    hermit57
    His exuberant passion as a critic. He really loved what he did!
  • jjvoodoo 2013/04/07 07:31:06
    other
    jjvoodoo
    who the bloody hell is this guy?
  • julissa... jjvoodoo 2013/04/08 05:31:28
    julissa pantoja
    +3
    Anybody that knows about movie critics knows who he is. Even Obama sent his condolences.
  • jjvoodoo julissa... 2013/04/08 07:12:12
    jjvoodoo
    please a movie critic is one of the saddest excuses of a career, "im gonna have an opinion and get money for it" its retarded
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2013/04/07 04:08:26
    TimothyBrianFoley
    we'll remember two thumbs up
  • karen.wells.3388 2013/04/07 02:07:55
    karen.wells.3388
    I used to love the old Siskel & Ebert show, espically if they disagreed or hated the movie.
  • Sam 2013/04/07 01:12:59
    his movie reviews
    Sam
    He was on movie reviews with Roeper. He was the guy that put me to sleep as a kid. Was that okay to say or is someone offended again?
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2013/04/07 00:47:06
    other
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    "Two thumbs up"
  • Crystal For Truth 2013/04/07 00:01:17
    Crystal For Truth
    +2
    For giving movies I totally disagreed with a thumbs up.
  • _Casey_Logan_ 2013/04/06 15:53:49
    his film review show with critic Richard Roeper
    _Casey_Logan_
    +1
    I have no clue who he is. Never heard of him
  • Crystal... _Casey_... 2013/04/07 00:02:19
    Crystal For Truth
    +2
    Wow. Now I really feel old :(
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2013/04/06 15:20:46
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    May both of them rest in peace. I loved that show. At least they're together again in Heaven.
  • Manster 2013/04/06 14:29:38
    Manster
    I also recall that he favored foreign films over domestic ones. He loved narrative movies!
  • Sean 2013/04/06 13:59:17
    other
    Sean
    +1
    His crippling obesity.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, that's just the first thing that made him stand out to me as a child.
  • Apostas... Sean 2013/04/07 21:34:42
    ApostasyManifest
    Haha crippling obesity?

Certainly he was overweight but the man was not obese. Not to mention he died of cancer not his weight. Pretty absurd statement.
  • Sean Apostas... 2013/04/07 22:15:22
    Sean
    your point would have been valid were the question "How did Roger Ebert, die, Rather than what do you remember best about him, And yes, i post jaw loss he lost a lot of weight..
  • crewzer1 2013/04/06 13:39:11
    other
    crewzer1
    I will remember him for being an unbiased Man who used the application of symbolism to share his opinion with a single up or down motion, with his thumb. A critic that viewed the angles of the film rahter than just the plot....
  • MikeWon 2013/04/06 09:53:20
  • Sean MikeWon 2013/04/06 13:59:42
  • MikeWon Sean 2013/04/06 14:36:00
  • Sean MikeWon 2013/04/06 14:46:50
    Sean
    +1
    That was one of my favorite shows in middle school. None of the other kids liked it.
  • Nichole 2013/04/06 05:48:17
    other
    Nichole
    +1
    To be honest, I only really knew his name from a song called The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang.

• Joey 2013/04/06 05:38:27
    other
    Joey
    When Ryan Dunn died due to his actions he spoke out about. Driving drink or on other drugs kills many people every year, and Dunn put the lives of everyone else at risk.
  • cmdrbnd007 2013/04/06 04:49:44
    other
    cmdrbnd007
    His two thumbs up. RIP Roger.

2014/08/23 11:29:27