What Should the Government Do About Gay Marriage?

ABC News U.S. 2013/01/17 18:00:00
The Supreme Court will hear two major gay rights cases this spring. One deals with a federal law, the Defense of Marriage Act, that defines marriage as between a man and a woman. It denies federal benefits to same sex couples who are legally married in their state. President Obama believes the law is unconstitutional, and his Justice Department has refused to defend it in Court.

But the Justice Department has not yet weighed in on the second case before the Supreme Court: a challenge to California’s ban on gay marriage. That case asks a much broader question: is there a fundamental right to gay marriage? While the Supreme Court could decide the case without reaching that constitutional question, court watchers wonder if the Obama administration will weigh in on that case.

gay marriage

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/01/whats...

• Joey 2013/01/17 20:20:07
    Same sex couples have a fundamental right to marry under the U.S Constitution.
    Joey
    +47
    here is an idea .. if you don't like gay marriage; don't marry someone of the same sex. And leave other people the hell alone.

• Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond 2013/04/06 13:21:26
    Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond
    It's their lifes... they should just let them be happy.
  • art Sofia ☆... 2013/07/31 13:19:09
    art
    be happy; Simple fix; put it back in the closet: then every one can stop bitching
  • Sofia ☆... art 2013/08/01 15:57:42
    Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond
    That's being happy for the people who don't like them. Homosexuals happen to be people too. They have the same right to be as happy as everyone else. It can't be that hard concentrating on your life and not trying to control others lives.
  • Phoenix2014 2013/03/08 01:52:42
    The issue of gay marriage should be left up to the states.
    Phoenix2014
    Government should stay out of all of it(again why is there not a none of the above option?). This is not a government issue state or national.
  • Oliver Presley 2013/02/20 03:21:57
    Oliver Presley
    You can't be "illegally married" either way. From the choices I'd have to choose the fundamental right, though I would choose straight marriage should be de-regulated since it is a social institution anyway. It's none of the governments business, state or otherwise, who you marry, why, when, or how. People are moving this the wrong direction; why the hell would you want to pay someone you don't know to recognize something that only means anything to you and your friends and family?
  • Blastin... Oliver ... 2013/02/26 00:36:37
    Blastingcaps
    homosexuals cant produce children so therefore thier union is fruitless and simply a sexual perversion. Which i might add, i personally couldnt care less about. its none of my business. However, you cant truely call it marriage. You simply want to force people to see things as you do instead of how nature has ordained them. same sex screwing produces NOTHING but sexual gratification. Because of that it can not be truely be called marriage in the traditional sense. Sorry.
  • Oliver ... Blastin... 2013/02/26 02:03:20
    Oliver Presley
    +1
    So people who are sterile should not get married whether straight or gay? And married people who use birth control are simply partaking in a sexual perversion? Marriage is a social institution, if you choose not to recognize someone as married, that's up to you; either way, it's none of the governments business. Sorry.
  • Goo gle 2013/02/19 20:29:55
    Goo gle
    +1
    The government should not get involved in social issues.
  • lulu 2013/02/17 06:54:19
    lulu
    Because we're still asking something so unreasonable as this, it shows how incredibly closeminded people can be. It's none of their bussiness to be against someone's other marriage. I repeat SOMEONE OTHER. I'm slowely losing my faith in humanity. It's like arguing about patriarchy. I hope next generation will be smarter and i'm extremely disappointed to be born in this one.
  • J.L.Worley 2013/02/13 21:09:41
    J.L.Worley
    +1
    This issue should be dealt with state governments, but I personally believe that same sex marriage should remain illegal.
  • ScottM 2013/02/08 13:25:01
    ScottM
    Here's how to fix it. Of course I'm sure not many people will read this, and those that are already married will not like it.

Change marriage in the eyes of the law to civil unions, and keep marriage as a religious union. This negates the whole religious debate, which shouldn't even be because of, you know, separation of church and state.

Everyone that is married is now considered to be in a civil union and has all of the rights afforded by the federal and state governments. If the couple is religious, then they can have a marriage, which offers NO federal or state rights or benefits, but is more for their religious peace of mind.

Problem solved. Now DO it!!!
  • Ethan T 2013/02/03 05:22:27
    Ethan T
    Despite the overwhelming public opposition to and known facts about the gay lifestyle, sodomites will win the right not only to "marry" the same sex, but also procure children and create their own frankenfamilies of half-siblings by masterbating into a cup together, then inseminating a woman with this vile mixture, and then taking away her baby after paying her for it.
  • ScottM Ethan T 2013/02/08 13:29:32
    ScottM
    Known facts? What are these facts of which you speak? Shouldn't you keep your religion out of my government as was originally stated, in different words, by our forefathers? If I can't legally use a bullet to take your rights away, why should you be able to use your religion? Why don't you start acting more Christian and be more kind to your fellow man and caring about their struggles and strifes? I'm sure that if this were the early 1900's you'd also be against integration and women's rights.
  • ScottM Ethan T 2013/02/14 18:36:03
    ScottM
    I still don't have an answer about your "known facts". Inquiring minds want to know.
  • barry.w.bruington 2013/02/02 04:40:15
    barry.w.bruington
    If same sex people have a desire to marry it affects me in no way and its the same for anyone else. Hey this hurts no one absolutely no one why would anyone be against this. Even if you are a religious nut case and actually believe jesus walked on water, or noah built a boat large enough to hold millions of species, and had the time in one life time to travel to all the continents of our planet and gather up all those species and enough food for them, well if you believe this you are an idiot and very ignorant to. Even if you believe in religious nonsense same sex marrige does not have any effect on your life other than in your ignorant little head. Any one against same sex marrige I want to know how 2 men or 2 women getting married can affect your life ? Thank you !
  • Ethan T barry.w... 2013/02/03 05:32:04
    Ethan T
    +1
    No effect upon me personally, but it does most certainly harm the innocent children that gays seek to procure. No one cares what consenting adults do with each other, but let's not not permit children to become victims of this lifestyle.
  • barry.w... Ethan T 2013/08/10 00:01:02
    barry.w.bruington
    Are you saying gays seek out the young ? If so you do not know any gays, I am not gay but have known many. The only people (men) who seek out children are not gay they are child molesters. I am a man and I have been molested by a step father and a friend of the family. Gay people and child molesters are not the same at all ! I must say you are ignorant of facts.
  • art barry.w... 2013/08/07 20:57:04
    art
    actually you are very wrong as the act of marriage gives those certain rights which everyone has to pay for: if only a few took advantage and married it would not matter but the greater number that marry winds up costing everyone: not all those bennies are free; i can think of many many reasons gay marriage is wrong: first one being it makes real marriage less sacred:
  • barry.w... art 2013/08/10 00:14:37
    barry.w.bruington
    Less sacred ? Oh you must be a religious nut case, a god believer. The belief in gods is no different from the belief in santa, the tooth fairy, pixies, gremlins, ghosts, and so on. Science can now trace back clear to the beginning of our universe to a time when only one element existed (hydrogen) this one single element formed by gravity stars, very large stars (suns) then exploded in whats called super nova, these explosions are what made the rest of the elements from helium to uranium. This allowed the formation of planets and then life, the iron in your blood the calsium in your bones, the carbon that makes up most of you was all made in stars, you and I and everything you see was cooked in a star, so if you still believe in gods then you can only say god made hydrogen the simplest element known, evolution did all the rest. The belief in gods is going the way of the dinosuars it will take time for people to lose this ancient petty belief but its happening and like it or not god will go the way of the flat earth.
  • Edward 2013/01/30 11:26:30
    Edward
    +2
    I'm opposed to gay marriage. Here we have a crashing economy, rising debt and people out of work caused by our liberal leader, and they're all more concerned with getting gays to marry. This is so completely secondary. Marriage is between a man and a woman. I don't know why so many progressives are so concerned about it. I'm for a traditional America.
  • coley p... Edward 2013/01/31 15:17:25
    coley purvis
    +3
    If you are opposed to gay marriage then do not get one! Have you seen the statistics of divorce rate in Anerica? Gay couples cobtribute more disposible income to help the economy than conservative hetero couples who are breeding machines and can not take care if their families, chiildren- or themselves. How many "so called straight couples lost homes to forclosure vs gay couples. Should be an interesting study.
  • Edward coley p... 2013/02/01 11:08:06 (edited)
    Edward
    +1
    Conservatives are not the ones who have babies they can't take care of. Those are trash people that liberals support. And i'm sure gay couples also contribute to the number of child molestation
  • barry.w... Edward 2013/02/02 04:58:04
    barry.w.bruington
    Oh edward you are wrong again, I was molested at 11 years old by my step dad, and molested again at 13 by a friend of my cousin who liked to take all the young boys out hunting or fishing. I have known many gay people and I found them to be very intelligent and the type who would never harm a child. So your comment " im sure gay couples contribute child molestation " Is totally ignorant !
  • Edward barry.w... 2013/02/10 02:15:38
    Edward
    I didn't say all. I just said I'm sure the molestation rate would go up if there were gay marriage and they were allowed to adopt. And usually straight people who molest are the ones who have been in jail
  • barry.w... Edward 2013/08/10 00:47:38
    barry.w.bruington
    Oh please your last sentence is so crazy you should be in a home. straight people who molest have usually been in jail ? I have been in jail and in prison, does this make me a molester ? Do you know your country has run millions of totally non violent drug users into prison ? I have never harmed anyone, never stolen anything, worked all my life, and gone to prison for having a drug on my person. Not everyone in prison is a bad person. You are really ignorant of many things.
  • ScottM Edward 2013/02/08 13:38:48
    ScottM
    I'm sure that if there were an actual, unbiased study, you would find that most molestations happen by straight people, some of which claim to be just as religious as you. I would go to venture that most broken homes are caused by straight people.
  • barry.w... Edward 2013/08/10 00:40:03
    barry.w.bruington
    Oh contrare edward, do you know the most republican states in the south use up more welfare money than any other demo states. Ya its a fact all the red states use up more free fed dollars than any other states period. In the south its teen birth rates and obesity do the research and you will see the facts. Oh I forgot republicans and fox news know nothing of facts. They believe god hears all prayers and knows what every one is doing 24-7 that prayer really works, and noah really gathered up 2 of 20 million species and put em on a boat built of wood with no nails while the earth was flooded to a heighth of the tallest mountain. which would change earths gravity and put us in a new orbit. Facts are things republicans know nothing about.
  • Crystal... Edward 2013/01/31 15:24:46
    Crystal Hankerson
    +1
    If we are a country that truly believes in God, then gay marriage is a decision that does not belong to the state or the government, it means doing what is right by God. And God's view is that marriage of the same sex is being disobedient, Romans 1: 26-27. When we obey God, we are surely blessed. Belief in righteousness through our faith in our Lord and savior Jesus Christ is the right way to go.
  • Edward Crystal... 2013/02/01 11:09:32
    Edward
    It has always been up to the states/government
  • barry.w... Crystal... 2013/02/02 05:15:27
    barry.w.bruington
    +1
    Crystal so you know "gods word" Hey its a fact men wrote the bible many different men. Not one of them has ever talked to a god. Do you believe the story of peter pan ? Do you believe in the tooth fairy? Or maybe even santa ? The bible has a few facts and many fairy tales, lets take a virgin getting pregnant, it can not happen, mary was either artificially inseminated or she got some dick, the latter more likely in her time. We know how our planet was made, we know the age of our planet,we know what made the stars in our night sky, it was hydrogen and this is a fact. Ignorant religious folk often will say about any thing science that " oh its just a theory " well these people dont understand this concept. I will explain, for 300 years newtons math on gravity was called newtons laws of gravity and in most cases they are still correct, but one man named albert einstein figured out that there were flaws in newtons laws, so now most things scientific are called theories, even though einsteins math and theories have been proven correct thousands of times in thousands of tests his discoveries are still called theories. There are hundreds of seperate christian faiths, hundreds or thousands of different religions the christian faith not the largest. so whos faith is the correct one ? All the different religions cant be right no they cant all be right for they all differ, they cant all be right but surely they can all be wrong !
  • astaris... Crystal... 2013/02/04 06:54:05
    astarisborn94
    +1
    Politics should not be bound by religion. There are places where religion belong, like in a place of worship or a personal relationship with who they deem as a creator of the universe. Where it does not belong is in politics. Politics needs to take a neutral stance towards religion because too much influence can be disastrous.
  • ScottM Crystal... 2013/02/08 13:45:48
    ScottM
    Separation of church and state. Your religion should have no say in my rights as a human citizen.
  • Edward ScottM 2013/02/10 02:03:20
    Edward
    Well it always has, why change it now?
  • ScottM Edward 2013/02/14 18:32:15
    ScottM
    Weapons have always had a say in the rights of human citizens, so why not be able to shoot whoever you want?
  • barry.w... Crystal... 2013/08/10 00:55:42
    barry.w.bruington
    Crystal wow what a bible thumper ! Do you know every word in the bible and koran were written by men, men who lived thousands of years ago and new nothing of science. They lived in a time where they could not explain lightning,or what made the sun shine, the bible is nothing more than fairy stories, if there is truley a god ( and no one knows for sure) it he she had absolutely nothing to do with your bible or koran, it was written by men who were pretty stupid by todays standards. Its a book of fiction nothing more get over it and let people do as they please as long as it hurts no one physically. Love and let love !
  • barry.w... Edward 2013/02/02 04:53:04
    barry.w.bruington
    Dear Edward yes we have a poor economy,rising debt,people out of work,but our president is not to blame. what we need is to rid ourselves or crazy republicans who believe in god and jesus and get rid of most of democrats to. If we had people in congress who had brains instead of stupid beliefs we may get some where. I say to be a member of congress you have to be a physicist or have a doctorate in some science other than christian science or scientology. I dont want a president who is lawyer and good at talk or disputing which is usually what we get. Science and common sense is the way to a future which will benifit us all.
  • Edward barry.w... 2013/02/10 02:08:00
    Edward
    Oh yeah, like the whole global warming. Obama is going to help us by pouring billions more into the environment-crazy movements. And yes, the president is to blame. He had two years to do whatever he wanted when the democrats were in complete power. You really think we need more people liek Al Gore who don't think helping the economy is important, but maing himself billions by going on global warming tours. It is Obama's spending and tax increases that has put us where we are today. No it wasn't great when Bush left, but Obama has made it worse. And so far I don't think science has helped us much. Just made crazy tree-hugging liberals bundles of money and put fear into little kids
  • barry.w... Edward 2013/08/10 01:04:06
    barry.w.bruington
    Oh another climate change non believer ! Its a fact carbon dioxide in our atmo causes our planet to get warmer. Millions of years ago the level of carbon was much higher than today, volcanoes were the culprits back then belching billions of tons into our air. Yes it has happened in the past but back then there was no ice at either of the poles, this made sea levels go up hundreds fo feet higher than today. So if you dont mind billions of people having to move, climates totally different than we have now, oh I get it it wont affect you so dont worry about it just deny it. Put you head in the sand like the rest of the ignorant science haters.
  • ScottM Edward 2013/02/08 13:35:52
    ScottM
    Think of how much gay marriage registries could help out the economy and gay baby showers.

With that said here's an idea. Keep marriage as a religious union, one where you can go to your church to become married, and change marriage in the law to be called civil unions. That way you can keep marriage as the religious institute that you want, and we can all have civil unions that would afford the same federal and state benefits to everyone, thereby keeping all men, and women, created, equal.
  • Edward ScottM 2013/02/10 02:08:44
    Edward
    We already have civil unions dont we?

2014/10/25 08:54:31