What salary range would qualify as middle class?

Angie 2009/02/16 20:01:43
A middle class salary for a single person is around...
A middle class combined household salary for a family is around...
I know it depends on where you live, but for the sake of the question, let's assume that you live in a city with an average cost of living.

When John McCain was asked this question, he put the middle class cap at $5 million. Come on, McCain... get out of your mansion and interact with us common folk once in a while.

On the other hand, I could apply to be McCain's secretary and ask for a middle class wage. Sounds fair, right?

• SpoonMan999 2009/02/17 18:25:15
    SpoonMan999
    +3
    46-54k is what got top comment?

My father runs his own business and makes $250k a year. He has a decent house in a suburb in Southern California. California, LA County especially, has a very high cost of living so let's assume that he lives in an average area.

The poll you posted show average income at $50k for the country and after searching the average for Los Angeles County is around $70k. So that's what? About a 29% difference between the two?

So, to make a proper judgement on whether or not he's middle class we would have to figure out 71% of $250k. Yes? I got around $180k (Remember I'm rounding numbers off here). Now, if $54k is the cap for Middle Class then my father would be rich, right?

Let's examine that. My father lives in a one-story home of around 3-3.5k square feet. The average? Around 2.5k square feet. this is by no means a mansion or even close to it. Sure, he makes very good money. But he doesn't hang out at yacht clubs and eat caviar. He owns three cars, one is a truck with the sole purpose of hauling toys (Dirt bikes/camper). He certainly lives comfortably but I don't think anyone who looked at him or his home would consider him rich. $50k I would concede is the middle of the "true middle." Meaning the average person however the middle class does extend further. ...'''

''
    46-54k is what got top comment?

Let's examine that. My father lives in a one-story home of around 3-3.5k square feet. The average? Around 2.5k square feet. this is by no means a mansion or even close to it. Sure, he makes very good money. But he doesn't hang out at yacht clubs and eat caviar. He owns three cars, one is a truck with the sole purpose of hauling toys (Dirt bikes/camper). He certainly lives comfortably but I don't think anyone who looked at him or his home would consider him rich. $50k I would concede is the middle of the "true middle." Meaning the average person however the middle class does extend further. theoretically the Middle-Class would end where the Upper-Class beings yes? While $5million is a bit high to be middle class I would say he's probably not as far off as you'd think. $5million, after taxes, does not buy you as much as you'd think, especially in California where the average home costs $360k when the national average is around $280k.

I don't know where I'd draw the line at Upper and Middle-Class. But $54k? Hell no.

• Jane Domes 2013/03/05 17:02:50
    Jane Domes
    75k+ for a single person in my north east rural area.
    The whole of govt is skewed on this issue.They cannot relate at all.Apparent from mr.MCcains statement.Come on ppl are we aware that recently some members of congress were asked the question does Washington have a spending problem?It was like,what,huh?No way. These ppl cannot be serious and must be voted out.
  • gregston1 2013/03/02 22:04:41
    gregston1
    A middle class salary for a SINGLE person, say a woman living on her own (not sharing a place)??? With rent and car payment included, I'd say at least $40K a year in Southern California. Now, if no car payment may be $32K a year. My parents did it on about $28K a year with a family of three (I'm an only child) but they didn't have a car payment and the land rent was only $275 a month. That makes a big difference - I think I'd want to live in a mobile home again - way cheaper than buying a home for $180K That is just too much and rent is $1K a month. Some people earn $1K a month!
  • Jane Domes gregston1 2013/03/05 16:53:06
    Jane Domes
    +2
    Of coure,the decade you are talking about makes a big difference.Things have quadrupled or more since the eighties.
  • Mensa 2012/09/08 13:41:27
    Mensa
    You're kidding, right? Yes, it depends on where you live? Perhaps not. I live in Florida where most of my friends are forced to work as white slaves for little to nothing. Employers can do this, in this right to work state, by labeling your 65 hour workweek as salary. Because there is no industry, only service jobs, wages in an unemployment environment of 12.2% , allows for and fosters abuse. I manage a 4M revenue generating property, with 28 employees. With a BA, and 2 Master's, I'm enslaved to the position. There are no other jobs. by the way, My salary? $25,000 a year. Do you know anyone with a master key to get this thing off my leg? Thanks for listening...
  • Pragati Singh 2012/04/23 17:26:33
    Pragati Singh
    I must say salary range lower then 1,00,000 comes under middle class and lower then 55,000 comes under BPL in India..

Notary Public Andover
  • Liv Jacquier 2012/03/16 21:10:20
    Liv Jacquier
    Well, coming from CT, AKA the 3rd richest state in the US, I would say that middle class around here is 95,000 dollars. I would say upper class is 160,000+ Correct?
  • chris 2010/05/15 02:52:28
  • jacktown kid 2009/02/27 04:58:57
    jacktown kid
    +1
    40 to 60 thousand a year
  • Sunshine 2009/02/26 03:03:02
    Sunshine
    +1
    I dont know what that salary range is... all i no is i ben n da po house all my life...
  • bamalady35077 2009/02/21 00:41:37
    bamalady35077
    +1
    100-250 thousand I am a stay at home mom hubby is an Owner operator. His income before taxes and upkeep is around 200 thousand plus. He usually gives the house approx. $600 a week. the rest goes to maint., feul, and truck payments. We are barely covering bills $200-groceries (weekly) $150-electricity/garbage pickup (its combined on my bill), $30-water, $65-sattilite, $300-House payment, $50-internet, $28 phone...........
  • Samurai ORC 2009/02/20 18:57:54
    Samurai ORC
    +1
    there shouldn't be a class system...it separates us from them etc. Quit measuring people by how much they make. It is meaningless anyways.
  • mfac8293 Samurai... 2010/09/27 20:23:23
    mfac8293
    +2
    look nobody's trying to judge anyone retard...well unitil i just called you a retard. im in high school and i know forums arent for dumbasses like you theyre for people trying to find info. stop bein such a dick head.
  • Ptown27 mfac8293 2012/11/09 18:51:13
    Ptown27
    Petchulant - look it up
  • kevracer 2009/02/19 19:27:21
    kevracer
    +2
    depending on where they live- in California bottom end $100,000 annually
  • gregston1 kevracer 2013/03/02 22:09:27
    gregston1
    If you can't live as a single person on $50K a year comfortably, you got some major bills and living WAY out of your means. As a person that has only earned as much as $13K a year in 1995/1996 and as a person that has a an MBA and has no job and living off of $150 a month now (living with my mom and she used to EARN $20K a year, now only $11K a year on unemployment) you learn to DO WITHOUT. What the hell does a single person need $90K a year for? Unless you live in a freaking mansion of 3,000 sq home. I'd take the home that is 1,100 sq for just myself.
  • tripp'68 2009/02/19 08:03:37
    tripp'68
    +2
    and this is my opinion for a single person mind you...
    150,000-250,000 for middle class
    all these answers that are 50 -75k no matter where you are in the country is an old # that we have been trained to believe is a decent living because that is an above average salary.
    Again only my opinion but a blue collar worker that gets paid a substantial wage will make that much a year but as far as living comfortably goes it is not likely. With the cost of health care, dental, GOOD QUALITY FOOD, and vacation time with a savings for retirement goes that is not enough.
    We have been conditioned to work 50-60 hrs a week, not take vacations every year for more than a 4 day weekend and don't receive proper and adequate health care or eat right. I'm sorry but if we are going to talk about classes there is a... rich, an upper, a middle, a lower and a poverty class that we can scale by and if you don't make more than 75,000 a year than you probably live check to check and go without certain services and have a fairly stress filled life even if you have great coping skills. that is american poverty in the making. just thankful to have a roof to keep the rain/snow off our heads, and a pot to piss in.
  • gregston1 tripp'68 2013/03/02 22:12:08
    gregston1
    That is way too high. If you are earning $150K a year as a single person you are RICH. I know someone that earns $100K a year and he is married and he is very well off. He is not hurting. If you are single and are hurting at $60K a year, you are living out of your means. If rent is $1K a month and if you as a single person earns $4K a month, you should have no problem feeding yourself, and have cable, and have a cell phone and have all of the nice things. Nice things don't cost $150K a year.
  • Mimi 2009/02/19 02:29:34
    Mimi
    +1
    I have NO clue... depends on where u live... and btw...is anyone here wealthy enough to live near McCain? If you do, will you pahleeeeeze, go over to his door and slap him into a reality check and tell him it's from me. tyvm
  • feretta 2009/02/18 19:13:19 (edited)
    feretta
    +1
    100,000 would be the MIDDLE

in my opinion...so from 75,000-125,000
  • ray 2009/02/18 16:36:00
    ray
    +1
    here in southern ohio: between 75k and +100k.
  • Rich 2009/02/18 04:39:37
    Rich
    +1
    $70,000 in today's high cost of living, and inflation riddled society.
  • Follow The Money 2009/02/17 20:54:02
    Follow The Money
    +2
    $100,000.00 per year
  • gregston1 Follow ... 2013/03/02 22:13:36
    gregston1
    Honey that is upper class.
  • SpoonMan999 2009/02/17 18:25:15
    SpoonMan999
    +3
    46-54k is what got top comment?

''
    46-54k is what got top comment?

• Angie SpoonMa... 2009/03/03 23:03:57
    Angie
    250k is definitely upper class. You can still live humbly and be rich -- good for your dad.
  • SpoonMa... Angie 2009/03/15 21:49:10
    SpoonMan999
    +1
    Considering I grew up in a mobile home park we've definitely moved up. I still would not say we are upper class. The upper middle class? Sure, but are we rich? God no.
  • xx *still chiki in my heart* 2009/02/17 17:48:59
    xx *still chiki in my heart*
    +1
    I live in a very nice suburb in Southern California. We have low crime, low poverty, very good schools, lots of community involvement, and the median household income is $83,000.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/02/17 16:12:43
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +1
    I would say I am about middle class. I make almost 40,000 a year, but I'm not sure what the charts are on what is considered to be in whatever class. I personally think using the class system to rate people is stupid, every living human is valuable, except criminals!
  • Wanda5245 - Citizen Activis... 2009/02/17 14:43:26
    Wanda5245 - Citizen Activist Who Wants Spunkysmum Back On SH
    +1
    Middle Class would be around 50K to 100K for Single Person in Virginia. The range is because some areas of Virginia have a higher cost of living than others.
  • Asami Fuyo 2009/02/17 14:31:44
    Asami Fuyo
    +1
    $50,000-$62,000, but I seriously think it should depend on how much the person needs altogether. There are some single people who need more than a family just because they have a lot more problems than most especially single parents w/h children.
  • Bill Smith 2009/02/17 05:24:58
    Bill Smith
    +1
    $50-60 thousand
  • scoot 2009/02/17 05:22:41
    scoot
    +2
    depends whether your a republican or a dem
  • chas 2009/02/17 05:04:12
    chas
    +1
    27000 to 40,000 in eastern PA. , where I live. In California: 35000 to 47000, That has a HIGH cost of living, with NYC of course.
  • Maj. C. D. Hardy 2009/02/17 05:01:37
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    +1
    $45,000 a year is probably low middle class.
  • chas Maj. C.... 2009/02/17 05:11:36
    chas
    +1
    thats what a "middle-manager" earns here! Most drivers & counter help are LUCKY to make 30K (auto-parts). Oh well, thats life at the bottom!!
  • Maj. C.... chas 2009/02/17 05:19:39
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    +1
    I am from NJ what is your home state? Here $45,000 is barely enough to pay the mortgage, revolving debt, groceries, and utilities. If I am lucky at the end of the month I can afford to go to the movies or out to dinner. It is really sad how we spend our lives paycheck to paycheck.
  • chas Maj. C.... 2009/02/17 05:28:55
    chas
    +1
    across the river, Bucks Co.,PA. NJ taxes (income, school) is way high I hear. With Corzine & Co. in control , hope is LOST, sad to say. Rendell (PA.) is kept in "check" by a (R) senate, for now.
  • mad scientists 2009/02/17 04:52:48
    mad scientists
    +1
    I think that , middle class for a single person in today;s market is about 70,000 dollars ayear! 70k........
  • Irons 2009/02/17 04:10:02
    Irons
    +1
    75,000
    +1
    It's around 75,000. ANd that's the BOTTOM. The trick is, this is what Democrats call, super rich. They taxed us this way in the Jimmy Carter age. It's why we damn near went broke then and suffered from a monster hreatbreaker called STAGFLATION We is headed for it It's Cincinatti all over again. G.D. Socialists.

2014/08/20 22:56:58