What point was Obama making when he said 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen' ?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/16 07:25:44
Obama's point is....
Other Thoughts!

President Barack Obama addressed supporters in Roanoke, Virginia on Saturday afternoon and took a shot at the business community. President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/20...

• Mrs. maggot 2012/07/16 12:13:21
    Other Thoughts!
    Mrs. maggot
    +24
    Ok Mr. Obama, just exactly who was it that got up before sunrise to cook from scratch several varieties of soup each day. Who was it that hand crafted each and every specialty sandwich and salad? Who washed those dishes ran the cash register and mopped the floors? My little "mom and pop" was very successful and with the exception of my one employee who worked as a waitress from 8am to 2pm and my mom who handled the register through the lunch rush, I seem to have different ideas about small business than you do...

• holly g... Chris -... 2012/07/19 02:09:39
    holly go lightly
    +2
    OMW !Finally Chris,your eyes have been opened.................
  • Chris -... holly g... 2012/07/19 13:12:23
  • holly g... Chris -... 2012/07/19 18:11:10
    holly go lightly
    +2
    LOL We have all been so blessed.
  • Risk 2012/07/17 13:55:06
    Other Thoughts!
    Risk
    +7
    That has got to be the number one most dumb ass statement that he has ever made ! Joe Biden must have given him that line !

dumb ass award
  • holly g... Risk 2012/07/19 02:10:24
    holly go lightly
    +2
    Mega raves.
  • Cold Warrior 2012/07/17 13:41:27
    Obama's point is....
    Cold Warrior
    +7
    Listening to this arrogant, narcissistic, intellectual elitist makes me want to vomit. His left wing liberal lah-lah land ideological delusions of grandeur, are taking this country right off the financial cliff, at full speed. If big government bureaucracy, crippling regulations and uncontrolled spending were the formula for success, then why is the USA going down the toilet of national bankruptcy?

How did this buffoon ever get elected President?
  • holly g... Cold Wa... 2012/07/19 02:11:12
    holly go lightly
    +2
    All the other buffoons voted for him.
  • Cold Wa... holly g... 2012/07/20 01:33:50
    Cold Warrior
    +3
    you're right...
    obama
  • rknothead 2012/07/17 13:37:52
    Obama's point is....
    rknothead
    +7
    His point is he thinks everyone has equal rights to your money, even though they didn't take the risk, have the brains to put it together, or put in the total effort, like working 70 hr weeks, no vacations, very few weekends. Socialism is great till you run out of other people's money! He's buying votes again, but with my money and I don't like it.
  • jakep51 2012/07/17 13:25:47
    Obama's point is....
    jakep51
    +3
    I'm not sure what Obama's point is. But it's wrong.
  • LisaSmith 2012/07/17 11:41:44
    Obama's point is....
    LisaSmith
    +3
    More liberal BS.
  • Michaelene 2012/07/17 11:34:29
    Obama's point is....
    Michaelene
    +5
    Obama wants to try to fool people into thinking the government can spend your money better than you can, except they're gonna tak a big chunk of it to administer the project paid by your your tax dollars.
    You property taxes pays for 6 figure administrators at the Dept of ED and wasted money on paper pushers for his extra fed documentattion in our schools, before they pay our teachers.
    The roads are crumbling yet the Dept of Critical infrastructure has a big share of high 6 figure administrators skimming off the top, letting the EPA crucify entire industries (reducing the tax base and sucking from the residential taxes while making outrageous statements like "we dont need highly skilled or more white construction workers"

While Obama and his highly paid yet worthless Jobs council laughs at the unemployed!

Ask the Fire Departments how they're managing during the rolling fire companies temp closures due to municipal money wasted in city budgets across the nation tying to keep civility and safety from alll the OWS protestors destruction and the need for unsanitary conditions to clean up.

My 1 square mile town has it's own fire and police dept's, run a tight ship PID by the residential and commercial TAXES from the taxpayers who are also volunteers.

The reality is th...

The reality is there are less people paying taxes to support our services needs, this statement shows how out of touch Obama really is "there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there", yes and they are all TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY!
  • C. C. Rider 2012/07/17 11:27:54
    Obama's point is....
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    In this case his point is no matter what trash you print, he is still gonna win. LMAO

romeny outsourcing romney lied lied to sec romney lied lied to sec
  • Chris -... C. C. R... 2012/07/19 13:20:56
  • Patric 2012/07/17 11:23:39
    Obama's point is....
    Patric
    +8
    from obomma's perspective, from his life expierences , that is how he got to where HE is at,

it is hard for obomma to grasp the concept of hard work in the private industry, since he has not ever worked ..

obomma is a product of the affirmitve action, welfare, nanny state, and that is all he knows,

the independent private sector is an unknown land for him , one that he mocks and puts tax upon ..
  • Radlad 2012/07/17 10:43:03
    Other Thoughts!
    Radlad
    +5
    obama is a statist. A socialist a communist whatever term you wish to use. Far as he's concerned the government is everything. Nothing is done without the government and everything IS the government since nothing exists without the government. Sadly that's true since you can't start any kind of business without the government's approval..........

Everything is government controlled from your education, roads, power, the loans you get to police and fire protection Coarse those that start successfull businesses receives no help from the government theses days in fact government is the main obstacle..........

What I believe he means is after all your hard work at getting a business started your long hours and sacrfices to make it successful. That because all businesses are would not exist without the government. All businesses are the governments. Therefore the government can take the fruits of your hard labor and redistribute them to their personal friends.........
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2012/07/17 10:26:05
    Obama's point is....
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +5
    He was thinking of his own experiance with foreign student loans, Bill Ayers & Sorros help, hand outs and playing the system.
  • mrdog 2012/07/17 09:17:00
    Obama's point is....
    mrdog
    +1
    I'm cluesless about econ issues...bark
  • Marlene Wilkins 2012/07/17 08:36:14
    Obama's point is....
    Marlene Wilkins
    +6
    That he an ignorant, unrealistic, half-witted moron who really needs to learn the basics of economics and THINKING BEFORE HE SPEAKS.
  • james2013 Marlene... 2012/07/17 19:55:29
    james2013
    +2
    From what I've been able to find out, he has no record of attending any of the schools he claims to have attended. How he learned all of his tripe must have been from some of the earlier disgruntled rebellious nuts who have now moved from the FBI's wanted list into politics. Truthfully, I just don't understand how that coulld have happened without crooked politiicians in Washington and Chicago.
  • Marlene... james2013 2012/07/17 19:59:19
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    He's the 'chosen one' and plenty of money backing him.
    Recall that massive scandal of his a few months ago? Then, suddenly, it was like a switch was thrown and mention of it just stopped.
    Interesting, yes??
  • james2013 Marlene... 2012/07/22 00:54:55
  • Marlene... james2013 2012/07/22 01:52:02
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    There's a quote from the sci-fi show Babylon-5 that I think fits...

"Shadows only move when you're not watching them."

I wouldn't trust Obama further than I would a hungry seagull with a box of McDonald's fries.
  • james2013 Marlene... 2012/08/04 17:25:46
    james2013
    +1
    The trouble with Obama is that he is constantly on the move. Makes me wonder who's running the country. He and Michelle burn more jet fuel than any other president and first lady that I know of. Not to mentioin Pelosi's private jet to her home in California each weekend. They surely don't mind spending the money, whose money? Our money.
  • Marlene... james2013 2012/09/05 09:54:57
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    yeah, and all his yakkity-yak about environmentalism and fiscal responsibility....
    The man's a gold-plated hypocrite to be sure.
  • james2013 Marlene... 2012/09/08 05:30:29
    james2013
    +2
    AGREE!
  • Marlene... james2013 2012/09/10 00:13:37 (edited)
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    TY!! :-) Obamination is a liar, a fraud, a traitor and the worst thing for America and North America.
  • paul 2012/07/17 07:50:05
    Obama's point is....
    paul
    +5
    What this clown was saying is that if you accomplish something not only do you share the wealth but you have to share the credit as well. He's a Socialist.
  • Marlene... paul 2012/07/17 20:00:08
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    He's an insulting jackass who needs to pick hos words better.
    Obama...engage brain, then engage mouth.
  • paul Marlene... 2012/07/17 20:24:27
    paul
    +2
    YOU ARE RIGHT!
  • Marlene... paul 2012/07/17 20:34:24
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    TY!
    But I'm just calling it as I see it. The man has a REAL bad habit of speaking without thinking.
  • ronbo 2012/07/17 06:03:41
    Other Thoughts!
    ronbo
    +7
    And what did he produce? He and his wife seem to enjoy consuming what other people create .
  • COCO ronbo 2012/07/17 07:03:42
    COCO
    +3
    More government dependency.
  • Michaelene ronbo 2012/07/17 11:44:56
    Michaelene
    +6
    Nothing, that's right,
    Michelle's last job was to remove the poor from a city hospital to reduce their red ink. Nice mid 6 figure pay to send poor patients our of the hospital.
    Obama's time is Chicago was spent funneling money to his pals Tony Rezco for the south side slums, setting up his pal Jackson Jr for a bought Senate seat, and getting his retainer out of fighting alongside ACORN and disrupting banks while suing them to make more bad loans.
    I've never seen such absolutely outrageous spending from a POTUS and FLOTUS during the worst prolonged recession in our history.
    Small businesses are closing at rapid rates, they're jobs gone forever while the gov't hires more IRS agents to control our healthcare.
  • Marlene... Michaelene 2012/07/17 20:01:16
    Marlene Wilkins
    +3
    It really makes you wonder, doesn't it??
  • Michaelene Marlene... 2012/07/18 12:04:18
    Michaelene
    +2
    Yes, I wonder how so many people could be so blinded by the no where man and ignore the fact that all Americans are going to be paying for this "inexperienced" experiment for at least another decade and thats if he is a one termer.
    If he gets another term, we're bankrupt just like the half dozen cities so far in California.
  • Marlene... Michaelene 2012/07/19 00:35:53
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    He reminds me of some of the characters in Atlas Shrugged....the villains in the story.
  • Michaelene Marlene... 2012/07/19 00:51:54
    Michaelene
    +2
    I've always meant to read that one, but never got around to it.
    He's definatively a villian and our nation is full of his victims, we're ALL paying for the mistakes of these people who voted for him.
  • Marlene... Michaelene 2012/07/19 01:31:04
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    It's a really good--but long--read. Engrossing, and heartening too. But the villains in that book...yeah, you'll see Obama reflected in them, and many other leaders like him Eg: Trudeau, Jean Chretien, many others...
    Corrupt, greedy and all about 'their way' being Right.
  • Michaelene Marlene... 2012/07/19 02:01:31
    Michaelene
    +2
    I dont mind a long read, I'll get to it.
    I've been too busy reading the monstrosities that our leaders call bills, laws executive orders and international anti american treaties.
    Plus doing the homework with 6 kids and having to reteach the indoctrination out of them. The schools are full of progressive brainwashing lunatics.

2014/10/31 15:57:21