What Mitt Romney Seems to Believe (and Why He's so Disliked): Can you read this and not weep for the conservative cause and for America?

the_old_coach 2012/04/20 05:08:35
Yes, I support Ron Paul. Yes, I am a Conservative Libertarian. No, I will NOT vote for Mitt Romney. This article sums it up pretty good for me.

Joe
Conason
– 21 hrs ago

With the Republican primary
contest over and the general election underway, Mitt Romney faces a voting public whose
disdain for him has reached levels that pollsters describe as "historic." From
his embittered opponents as well as from Romney and his campaign, Americans have
learned that the former Massachusetts governor simply won't uphold any political
position, issue or achievement he thinks might cost him votes. He doesn't seem
to understand that his inconstancy forfeits more respect than any disagreeable
opinion would.

No matter how carefully the former
Massachusetts governor parses and prevaricates, many voters, including more than
a few conservatives, evidently feel they've detected the inner Mitt: a man with
utmost regard for himself and people like him — and a profound disregard for
people like most of them. They've observed him straining to express concern for
the unemployed, the poor and the powerless, while sounding sincerely resentful
whenever the privileged are held accountable. They've perceived an attitude of
entitlement, whether he is withholding tax returns, defending tax breaks for
billionaires or spending vast amounts to defame opponents. And they don't like
it, no matter what they may feel about Barack Obama.

Although a new Gallup poll shows Romney
with a small lead matched against Obama — indicating how close this election may
ultimately become — voters consistently appear to disapprove of the presumptive
Republican nominee. As they have learned more about him over the past several
years, his negative ratings have soared. Over the past five years, since he
began to run for president, the latest Washington Post/ABC News poll shows that
negative views of Romney have roughly doubled, from about 24 percent to 47
percent, while his positive ratings have lagged (only 12 percent express
"strongly" positive feelings about him).

More important, Romney polls 21 points
behind President Obama in public approval — the worst rating for a likely
presidential nominee in a Post/ABC poll since 1984. Indeed, he is the first to
be "underwater," with higher negative than positive ratings, in the last eight
presidential elections.

Vulnerable groups seem to find Romney
particularly unappealing and unsympathetic, as the Post/ABC cross-tabulations
suggest. Among voters with annual household incomes lower than $50,000, Obama
leads by 29 points. Among the young, who now tend to be in debt, without jobs or
both, Obama leads by 36 points. Among married women, Obama is ahead by 20
points. But among unmarried women, his lead grows to 45 points.

Obama's favorable score is 9 points higher
than Romney's among married adults — but this swells to a 37-point advantage
among those who are not married. Romney and Obama are seen favorably by about
equal numbers of married men, and Obama's unfavorable score is higher in this
group. But he jumps to a 20-point higher favorable rating than Romney among
married women, 25 points among unmarried men, and 45 points among unmarried
women. Overall, Obama is seen not only as more likeable and friendly but as more
understanding of the economic conditions faced by most Americans.

The latest CNN poll gives the president a
substantial lead over his likely challenger, reflecting the same advantage for
Obama among low-income, female and young voters. But all those surveyed felt
that Obama was far more likely to stand up for his beliefs than Romney and to
sympathize with those less fortunate and less powerful.

Evidently, Romney hopes to bury Obama
beneath a barrage of negative advertising, with at least $800 million that his
party expects to raise from wealthy conservatives like him. But that won't erase
the lasting impression created by a primary campaign that left Americans with a
bad impression of the Republican Party and a worse impression of the nominee
that process selected so grudgingly.

Joe Conason is the editor in chief of
NationalMemo.com. To find out more about Joe Conason, visit the Creators
Syndicate website at www.creators.com.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-seems-believe-wh...

• Technotrucker_exposingthetruth 2012/04/21 18:18:25
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +1
    I find it very sad and disheartening that the people of this nation don't see a screw job, even when it is played out right in front of their faces.
    I am deeply saddened - this Ron Paul sickness has reached new and deeper depths - it is as sick as the Obama followers who have become cult like. Hunting around to find unheard of polls that can be refuted by turning on any channel of TV or the radio - ABC/Washington Post put Romney within 4-5 points, some polls put him ahead and some behind. All credible pundits say this will be a very very close race. It is a shame that the Paul followers care so little for the nation that they will not vote and pretend that they have principles.
  • 9th of 9 Jackie ... 2012/04/21 11:08:18
    9th of 9
    +2
    The Ron Paul crowd will vote. I don't know where you got that they wont. And they will vote because of principles, not despite of them.
  • Technot... Jackie ... 2012/04/21 18:16:18
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +1
    What is a shame is, that people that don't support Ron Paul, don't realize that he is the very last chance of ending the tyrannical dictatorship that now runs this nation.
    What is a shame is, that for some inexplicable reason, people have bought into the GOP and LSM version of who Ron Paul is, and what his policies are, and have too big an ego or an assumingly low enough IQ, that they won't do what is actually best for this nation.
    As usual, you and millions of others have the scenario back asswards. Thanks so much.
  • Jackie ... Technot... 2012/04/22 00:43:05
    Do you have any idea how tiresome it is to hear that everyone who does not support Paul is a dumb ass?? There are many who think just the opposite.

Ron Paul will never be president - simple as that.
  • the_old... Jackie ... 2012/04/22 01:22:07
    the_old_coach
    Jackie, for what it's worth, I am going to change three words in your response and show you what WE hear eveyday:

"Do you have any idea how tiresome it is to hear that everyone who does not support Romney is a dumb ass?? There are many who think just the opposite.

Mitt Romney will never be president - simple as that.
  • Jackie ... the_old... 2012/04/22 01:26:21 (edited)
    Fine, I realize that the Paul supporters are in favor of Obama - fine, what ever spins your prop. For 13 years Paul has been running - he has been rejected by the voters over and over and over. Hate Romney all you wish, hate all other candidates and fall to your knees and worship Paul - He still gets about 8% of vote - but fine, support your god Obama. You want him to win and you want the nation to collapse. No one wants Paul even if we collapse.

PS No one thinks anyone is a dumb ass for not supporting Romney - We really stupid people who realize that Obama is very bad for the nation will support the GOP nominee; we dumb asses who actually care about the nation will support the GOP nominee, we who "have too big an ego or an assumingly low enough IQ" (quote from your friend above) know that support of a GOP nominee is important to the nation.

So congrats on your enormous brain, superior IQ - the rest of us are trying to save our country.
  • the_old... Jackie ... 2012/04/22 01:43:13
    the_old_coach
    I don't favor Obama any more than I favor Romney. I don't care for Obama's rule, and I know I wouldn't care for Romney's, either. Neither one is good for the country. Knowing this--and it must make Republicans crazy--I cannot, in good conscience, vote for either. If it comes down to having a President Obama or a President Romney, I don't care which one it is.

The problem with other conservatives is that they believe they MUST have a Republican in office, even if that Republican is an incompetent fool (witness W). It really doesn't matter to me if the POTUS is a Democrat or a Republican, it only matters that they do what is right for our country.

Since Ron Paul is the only candidate running that reflects my beliefs, I MUST vote for him, even if he doesn't--or can't--win. The reasoning here is that by holding true to those beliefs, they might become more visable to the populace and in time gain a wider acceptance. I cannot--and will not--vote contrary to my belief system.

Peace.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/04/20 15:17:04
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    Every year, strategists try to find out how a candidate can attract voters. Most Americans are busy every day working and putting food on the table. They unwind by watching American Idol... not FOX or MSNBC . They aren't on SODA either.

What they discover is the 'Likeability' factor is big. Mitt doesn't have it. No matter how much Team Romney tries to spiff him up to look like Regular Guy, it just doesn't fly.
  • Someone Else 2012/04/20 12:42:03
    Someone Else
    +2
    Voting for Romney is the lesser of two evils with the same agenda and same handlers I will not vote for Romney. If voting for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama as they say. Then voting for Romney is a vote for Obama just the white Obama
  • the_old... Someone... 2012/04/21 02:12:14
    the_old_coach
    +2
    I have to blame the faux GOP for running Mitt Romney...he should NOT be the nominee! He's a total loser in my book. I cannot force myself to vote for him.
  • Someone... the_old... 2012/04/21 13:09:51
    Someone Else
    +1
    Very good!! He's a prime example of what's wrong in American politic's today same crap just a different color
  • 9th of 9 2012/04/20 12:30:24
    9th of 9
    +1
    Romney has no chance against Obama. The GOP is running him because they want Obama to get a 2nd term.

My vote will go to Ron Paul. It has, and it will.
  • Waldorf 2012/04/20 12:23:52
    Waldorf
    I will be a good little libertarian and instead find somone on whom I can waste my vote. It feels so good to be among the "<1%".
  • ConLibFraud 2012/04/20 11:45:24
    ConLibFraud
    +2
    There are many many reasons to never vote for ORomney. Starting with he protects the criminal federal reserve and he would have signed the NDAA. How much more do you fricken need!!!!
  • Daniel 2012/04/20 11:25:37
    Daniel
    There's no way in Hell I'm throwing my vote away. I want that Communist OUT!!!
  • 9th of 9 Daniel 2012/04/20 12:31:36
    9th of 9
    +1
    and in return?
  • Daniel 9th of 9 2012/04/20 14:49:57
    Daniel
    The safety of the Constitution and a budget.
  • 9th of 9 Daniel 2012/04/20 15:01:15
    9th of 9
    +1
    So you are a Ron Paul supporter then?
  • Daniel 9th of 9 2012/04/21 10:58:41
    Daniel
    +1
    I don't support any of them. My vote is simply to save America from poverty and our Constitution from being rewritten. So I'm voting mitt.
  • 9th of 9 Daniel 2012/04/21 11:05:10
    9th of 9
    Then you may want to rethink your decision. The FR and Mitt get along great, and the Patriot Acts, NDAA, NDRP, FISA, rip your Bill of Rights to shreads.
  • LAAD Gunner - USMC 2012/04/20 09:34:15
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +3
    All I've got to say is I'm voting for the only man in this race who actually represents who and what I believe in, Ron Paul.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/04/20 08:50:39
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    The GOP botched this election last year when they trotted out these candidates. I am proudly "throwing away" my vote this year, because neither Obama nor the GOP deserve my vote.

Yes, we'll survive 4 more years of the devil we know...
  • Superman Beat Ma... 2012/04/20 15:58:46
    Superman
    You know what? I'm tired of that myth. That the GOP "trotted out" these candidates. Candidates decide for themselves if they want to run or if they want to sit it out. Everyone who wasn't in this field is either clearly not ready enough to run or is a coward. So stop balking at the "GOP" as if some vague body gives you the options. You're a part of this too you know. Find your candidate. Give him money. Support and encourage him. Stop whining like a brat that thinks mom didn't give you the right toys.

And thanks for contributing to four more years of one of the worst Administrations in history, all because the best you can muster is whining online. You can always get involved and do your best to make Romney accountable if he gets elected you know.
  • the_old... Superman 2012/04/21 15:55:08
    the_old_coach
    You said: "So stop balking at the "GOP" as if some vague body gives you the options. You're a part of this too you know. Find your candidate. Give him money. Support and encourage him. Stop whining like a brat that thinks mom didn't give you the right toys."

We said in reply: We support Ron Paul!

ron paul 2012

Then you said: "And thanks for contributing to four more years of one of the worst Administrations in history, all because the best you can muster is whining online. You can always get involved and do your best to make Romney accountable if he gets elected you know."

SO THIS IS WHAT WE MEAN WHEN WE SAY THE PROCESS IS SCREWED UP!
  • Superman the_old... 2012/04/23 15:57:28
    Superman
    The process isn't screwed up. You're saying the process is screwed up, essentially, because the guy you supported lost right? The process would have been "fine" if he had won. So you're going to take your ball and go home?

Grow up.

The process allows persons interested in running for office the chance to apply and run for office. And the way communication works today I have a hard time buying into the whining over money disparity. There are so many avenues to get your message out to the average voter and there are so many people who could care less about a 20 second ad on tv that its crazy. At the end of the day a candidates beliefs have to survive the nominating process in the party. If they don't, if a majority of the party doesn't support a candidate then oh well. Personally I was behind Romney in 2008 and had to conceed to McCain. But I didn't whine about it. Didn't complain about the "process" like a five year old. I supported the better candidate in the general.

Then again you said "The GOP botched this election last year when they trotted out these candidates."

These candidates would include Ron Paul. So I guess Paul himself is a botched candidate right? Or is your complaint that there were other options?

At the end of the day GOP voters had a choice among peo...

Grow up.

At the end of the day GOP voters had a choice among people at least willing to run and stand against Obama . . . I'll give them all credit for that even if I didn't support some of them in the slightest. But I let Democracy run its course and didn't need to whine about it like a 5 year old.
  • Ozymandias 2012/04/20 07:02:05
  • USAF Vet 2012/04/20 06:16:50
    USAF Vet
    +2
    OK, you convinced me, I'm voting for Ron Paul...because I need four more years of this...

clown obama
  • Beat Ma... USAF Vet 2012/04/20 08:48:54
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    I'll tolerate 4 more years of the devil I know over Romney...
  • USAF Vet Beat Ma... 2012/04/20 08:52:08
  • David Lindner 2012/04/20 06:08:25
    David Lindner
    +1
    we need to get rid of communism!
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/04/20 05:56:59 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    Too all you Ron Paul Supporters that are really Obama voters if you don't vote for Mitt if he's on the ticket. If Obama gets in again thanks to your votes and this nation falls. This one is on your shoulders and I hope you remember that vote forever as you lose your freedoms.
  • USAF Vet Hula gi... 2012/04/20 08:53:25
  • tom Hula gi... 2012/04/20 10:33:48
    tom
    I know you hate to hear this but when Obama ultimately wins your freedoms will be intact And the country will continue to recover... The US will not suddenly explode when Obama recieves his second term.. Obama is far from a socialist or a communist, unfortunetly he is a fairly centrist democrat. There is a reason many democrats dislike him just as much as conservatives... But for different reasons..
  • Hula gi... tom 2012/04/20 19:59:08
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Dead wrong on that one. You obviously are clueless.
  • tom Hula gi... 2012/04/20 20:32:07
    tom
    Im afraid you seem to be the clueless one.
  • Hula gi... tom 2012/04/20 20:45:15
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Well obviously you don't know me. Hardly clueless.
  • Hula gi... tom 2012/04/20 20:45:46
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    You're young, confused even with your sexuality so you should talk.
  • U-Dog Hula gi... 2012/04/20 10:52:15
    U-Dog
    +2
    Yeah Hula, lets just vote for the repubs again and they will save us. Never mind the fact that those big talking retreaters have done just as much as the demoncrats have to grow bureaucracy, destroy our wealth and freedoms and sell out this nations founding values over the last 100 plus years.

Oh my, Obama's a Muslim commie, Obama's a Muslim commie, the sky is falling... And yet all that the retreads can manage to throw out is another flip flopping crony loving big meatless RINO bone like OvoMitt... AGAIN! And if Obama is such a evil Muslim commie then pray tell how do the genius repunks plan to magically save us all when they are the incompetent progressive crony loving boobs and wolves in sheep's clothing that helped screw things up and get him elected in the first place. After a 100 years of their mob helping this country into deep chit did they all the sudden learn their lesson and do they really, really, really, really, really mean it this time, huh?

Yeah, it's all somehow someway all the fault of the Liberty Loving Ron Paul supporters because they refuse to keep playing this useless lesser evil con game of heads they win, tails the people lose... Again!

...that's a good one Hula, you run along now and be sure to vote straight repub this election, for all the good it will do you. LMAO!
  • 9th of 9 Hula gi... 2012/04/20 12:16:57
    9th of 9
    +2
    Tell me why I should vote for Mitt. What will he do that is different than Obama?

2014/12/18 07:16:10