What kind of health care does Congress have? What kind of health care does the President get?

ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/03/25 02:54:32
Congressional members are all federal employees and as a result have choices in health care coverage that are the same as a Federally employed Janitor. They can choose from a variety of plans, and have seen their costs go up each year. The common misconception is that your representatives have a Gold plated free plan that the tax payers pay for. They do have choices of good insurance as there are millions of federal employees that form a large pool and as is common in any large company, the insurance options that can be offered have good benefits.
However, members of Congress do pay their share each month just like any other worker. For example, a Senator that chooses the better of their Blue Cross offerings for him and his family would pay about $400 a month in insurance costs, comparable to what many people with coverage at their job pay. It is interesting to note that some in congress choose NOT to be covered under any federal plan but instead choose to be covered by their working spouses insurance - because that insurance has better coverage.
Members of congress also have access to a medical clinic on-site for minor illness such as colds, fever,etc. This costs $500 a year.
The president and his family have free coverages by a 24 hour staff, as has been the case for years now. If there are hospital costs, the president pays for them out of pocket.
The president does have great medical care, which makes sense as he is the president. Congress does not have free care paid for by the taxpayer and it has a good plan but is not gold-plated by any stretch of the imagination.
Source(s):
http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/planinf…

http://www.fepblue.org/benefitplans/stan…

• Jester 2010/03/25 02:58:04
    Comment
    Jester
    +10
    I do not care what they have, or you, or the quick trip attendant down the road. They are big boys, and they can take of themselves. Or if they can't, then It is not my problem to play Nanny to them. If you want that responsibility, then have fun, so long as you do not involve me in the process.

If they are looking to me for help with their bills, they will be waiting a long time.

• Ann 2010/04/03 16:07:45
    Comment
    Ann
    +1
    Do you think that those without health care should be turned away at the hospital and doctor's office?
  • Beccy 2010/03/27 00:30:27
    Comment
    +2
    I'm glad they have to pay for it. $400 is chump change when you are making the kind of money they get. As for the president and his family they can pay for their own, he is not king. Only about 30% of Americans vote which means that he was elected by 15% of the public. I don't think all Americans should have to pay for a mistake made by 15%
  • wombat 2010/03/25 13:53:55
    Comment
    wombat
    +3
    Very good research !!! Thank you!
  • twocrows 2010/03/25 04:01:26
    Comment
    twocrows
    +3
    thanks for this. yes, an objective post is so rare on sodahead.
  • lance az 2010/03/25 03:09:36
    Comment
    lance az
    +1
    Nice post. It is good to see objective posts such as this.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ lance az 2010/03/25 03:12:03
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    Thanks
  • Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2010/03/25 03:08:36 (edited)
    I don't believe any of this.
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +7
    I know that for 30 years, I had been promised medical coverage for me and my family for life. Then Reagan renounced. He said we can no longer have lifetime Medical Care because it was too expensive, while the Senate and Congress had great medical Insurance, they offered us TRICARE which was for the Military and similar to Medicare. In Texas under the Democratic Governor the HMOs and Hospitals had to accept TRICARE if they wanted to do business in Texas, but when Bush was Governor, he felt bad for the Doctors, and said they no longer needed to accept the Military TRICARE. So, they dropped us and some accepted only 5% of their total patients to be TRICARE. My wife had preexisting problems, so we could get no one to accept her, and eventually she returned to Germany to be treated by German National Health Care. She lived a year longer than the Americans suggested she would and got to die with Dignity and without pain, but also without her kids near her. I think they have very good, very inexpensive Health Care and I do not understand why we were not offered the same. Oh well, there were no wars then, so we were unneeded I guess. Whenever a Republican stands up and says, "The United States can no longer afford Entitlements," I think maybe they need to have their pay cut if they can't do what we pay them to do. unneeded guess republican stands united afford entitlements pay cut pay
    T R I C A R E
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ Joseph ... 2010/03/25 03:11:32
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    Wow, well said. I'm so sorry to read about your wife. I don't know why we can't have national health care so we're stuck with private insurance companies.
  • Joseph ... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/03/25 04:19:01
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    When I tell this story, most understand why I have fought so long and so hard for health care that works. None in the world work as well as the German National Health Care Plan.
  • Kianna ... Joseph ... 2010/03/25 03:13:04
    Kianna Redwater
    +3
    So sorry for your loss and what your family had to go through, thank you for serving, sorry your country couldn't serve you better.
  • Joseph ... Kianna ... 2010/03/25 04:15:44
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
  • Kianna ... Joseph ... 2010/03/25 04:18:15
    Kianna Redwater
    I know it, I lived in Germany back in the 70's and 80's
  • Joseph ... Kianna ... 2010/03/26 03:41:18 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    I was in Kaiserslauitern und Zweibrücken in the 70s. Ich habe Sie sprechen hübsches gutes Deutsch gewettet, Ja? Military brat huh?
  • Kianna ... Joseph ... 2010/03/26 14:11:25
    Kianna Redwater
    +1
    Mien deutsch ist nicht so gut. lol not sure if I even spelled that right. We were stationed in stuttgart.
  • Kianna ... Joseph ... 2010/03/25 04:18:46
    Kianna Redwater
    +1
    My father was Army, I'm an old brat...lol
  • Kev316 2010/03/25 03:04:51
    Comment
    Kev316
    +3
    Very good post. Thanks.
  • Jester 2010/03/25 02:58:04
    Comment
    Jester
    +10

• Kev316 Jester 2010/03/25 03:04:01
    Kev316
    +2
    Trust me, nobody wants to help you with anything. Too bad you have not actually lived that theory. Nobody has, as much as you like to make us think you are really really tough and scary bad. Ooooh.... I wet myself.
  • Joseph ... Kev316 2010/03/25 03:11:08
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Becareful, he lost an intellectual battle with me - he ran out of ammo, ran, blocked me and hid from me but does come out occasionally to shoot me in the back. If he does that throw your wet Jockey Shorts at him, and tell him, in part they are from his ol' Compatriot.
  • Kev316 Joseph ... 2010/03/25 03:36:11 (edited)
    Kev316
    +2
    Ya know what Joe? I really don't like what is in the air this week. I've been blocked more today than at anytime on the board. I wasn't even nasty (except to the "Christian" woman playing black and white, good and evil - I never can shut up with those guys).

Maybe I need to blog about this. You know better than most that the anti-war movement of the '60s was a noble cause. They were correct, for the most part. But the minute certain elements within the movement chose to use violence, as well as take their anger out on US servicemen and women, the movement was lost. As a group, we Americans really hate that stuff, ya know?

This time, however, the leaders of this terrorist movement are public figures and politicians. They are telling their constituents to arm themselves (Michelle Bachmann today), while Palin puts up a chart with marksmen crosshairs to show which Dems to "pick off". They cut the gas lines at a Congressman's brother's house. The address was posted on a website. They made a mistake and put up his brother's address instead. Thank God they smelled the gas and got out.

You are a lot wiser than I am. What is the answer? What does a nation do with 20 million traitors? They act as if this is a foreign government they are rebelling against. Do they have any concept of the f...

You are a lot wiser than I am. What is the answer? What does a nation do with 20 million traitors? They act as if this is a foreign government they are rebelling against. Do they have any concept of the finality of war and death? And the ones who claimed they served: WTF? They hold ideas that do not exist in the US military. Those ideals were part of what made us men. Where do these new ideas come from? What can be done to stop this before more innocent people die at the hand of these radicals?

I fear arrests and consequences will just make it worse.
  • Joseph ... Kev316 2010/03/25 04:11:01 (edited)
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    Oh I can't accept the nice, but unbelievable part about being wiser - maybe older, but wiser, I doubt it. I was told tonight that my name and address was learned on FB and I better watch what I am saying or I will have visitors, that from here on SH. I also sent a notice to the FBI because an Army Officer and Commander, (Mr. Furious) said he was prepared to turn his weapons on the government and not the people. That is Mutiny and Conduct unbecoming an officer. I fear what could happen if my President was to visit his base. I think the Conservaturds are scared, and they know they have lost it all and are marginalized and their moral is down but if it dosen't get more humane soon, we will all be cleaning our weapons and I hope this time, we hang the traitors when it is done. A blog might be nice. About half of what I am invited to, I am blocked from. I guess I should be proud I have them scared, but.....
  • Kev316 Joseph ... 2010/03/25 04:26:24 (edited)
    Kev316
    +1
    Oh my God. I don't know about you, but this boils my blood and I'm not a jingoist by any stretch.

I will stand with my nation, my President, my fellow veterans who served well and honorably protecting and defending the Constitution. I will stand with her people, especially the downtrodden and those without a voice: The poor, the sick, the hungry, the naked.

For the first time, I'm a little frightened in my own country. I don't like how this feels. It reminds me of a place in '83, a place that you knew was ready to explode and you were always twitchy. Then it DID explode.

As for loading my weapon, couldn't I just stand behind that A-10 Thunderbolt or that M1A1 Abrams? Seems that would be the safe place. Wanna join me? I'll bring the soda and chips. You bring the dip, okay?
  • Joseph ... Kev316 2010/03/26 03:44:44
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    many would say, I AM the dip.
  • Kev316 Joseph ... 2010/03/26 03:51:16
    Kev316
    +1
    Lol... Consider the sources.
  • Jester Kev316 2010/03/25 03:14:11
    Jester
    +2
    I have said all along I will favor Obam'a health care initiative. There is more than enough of you democrats out there to foot the bill, I want no part of it.

That is more than fair.
  • Kev316 Jester 2010/03/25 03:43:17 (edited)
    Kev316
    +1
    These wet, dirty Jockey shorts are from myself and an old compatriot of yours, CMSgt Joe. He still loves ya baby.

wet dirty jockey shorts compatriot cmsgt joe loves ya baby
  • Joseph ... Kev316 2010/03/25 04:13:59
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    thanks - I am not allowed to protest. Drip-drip.
  • Kev316 Joseph ... 2010/03/25 04:28:35
    Kev316
    +1
    'Welcome.
  • Jester Kev316 2010/03/25 04:17:32
    Jester
    +3
    I know it obscene to ask that people who wish to patronize a service to pay for it and all.

I suppose I am unresonable
  • Kev316 Jester 2010/03/25 04:30:50
    Kev316
    +1
    I'm a big fan of paying for things. Honest. Nothing is free.
  • ☆Hitler... Kev316 2010/04/21 06:32:56
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +1
    (Too bad you have not actually lived that theory. Nobody has)
    I know its a shocker...but most of us have lived that...sorry
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ Jester 2010/03/25 03:04:21
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +3
    I don't think that was the point of the post.
  • twocrows ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/04/01 00:40:03
    twocrows
    seeing as how you put it up here, I would guess you're in a position to know.

it blows me away how someone can put up a post like, "what is your favorite cat?' and someone will come along and Obama-bash. very full of themselves, aren't they?

2014/12/22 17:48:51