What is your position on fracking for Natural GAS

bob 2011/09/02 18:54:10
It's non of my Fracking Business
"get out of the way" and let the gas drillers frack away
I wouldn't want Fracking taking place near my water supply
Boys need to frack from time to time
my position on frecking is ....

• JackSchitt 2011/09/02 19:25:59
    JackSchitt
    +6
    It's just the latest buzz-word to cause the enviro-weenies to get their panties in a bunch. Gas and oil companies have been using hydraulic fracturing (fracking) for over 60 years now.

The only difference is that now they're doing in on horizontal drilling runs instead of vertical runs, so there is a lot more fluid to get rid of. They had a few issues with ground storage liners leaking, etc. when they first started..... growing pains like any industry. Now they're being a whole lot more careful and many companies are hauling the fluids away for recycling as soon as possible to avoid any possibility of leakage or sabotage by eco-terrorists.

I work in the IT department of a gas company and I've discussed this with geologists.... not greedy corporate big-wigs. The part of the well that comes ANYWHERE near the water table is still encased in steel and cement the way it's ALWAYS been.

geologists greedy corporate big-wigs water table encased steel cement

• Ms Missy 2011/09/06 17:38:43
    Ms Missy
    +1
    We need alternative fuels, there may be enough natural gas for now, but it is not an endless supply. Im against anything that impedes the research into alternative fuel sources and im sure there is no way to prevent all possibly of contamination.
  • Dave 2011/09/06 16:18:18
    Dave
    There is no harm to the water table.
    The well is encased in concrete and is 5000' below the water table. harm water table encased concrete 5000 water table safe fracking diagram
  • Tom Dave 2011/09/29 12:41:52
    Tom
    +2
    The issue is not that they do it, but what are they using to do it. If they add chemicals that convert or react to other chemicals either induced or in the rock, you could end up posioning the water table for many people and not find out until 20-30 years later, like they did with asbestos.
  • Dave Tom 2011/09/30 19:23:43
    Dave
    We are much more technically advanced at present.
    I don't want to send any more money to muslims that hate us.
    We can be energy self sufficiant.
  • Tom Dave 2011/10/13 13:24:53
    Tom
    +2
    Agreed, but we have better technologies that are being stiffled by the energy companies due to the investments they have made in their technology.
  • Taylor 2011/09/06 00:30:41
    Taylor
    +2
    they already banned it for my watershed tho (dont want to hurt us New Yorkers from the city)

my grandma is very much against it in upstate new york and very active
  • Scotty 2011/09/05 19:51:11
    my position on frecking is ....
    Scotty
    +1
    Fracking is not a problem...if...and this is a big IF...there are no toxic chemicals poured into our ground and ground water...and if the Fracking does not contaminate the ground water (hey ! we drink this stuff) with Natural gas. We need natural gas and we have a lot of it...so let's recover it, use it in our Trucks and cars...but do it safely.
  • JimTheGeek 2011/09/05 14:40:32
    JimTheGeek
    +2
    You can't convince me that the well pipe is able to penetrate the very small space that the fluid enters to release the gas. It's from these spaces that the seepage to ground water occurs. And how can you deny the extensive reports and verification of the many contaminated water wells proximate to "fracking" operations. Don't believe anything from anyone who works for a gas company; afterall their paycheck relies on "fracking".
  • He'a: ka'ka:' 2011/09/04 06:46:03
    Boys need to frack from time to time
    He'a: ka'ka:'
    +1
    I just love the word 'frack.'
  • Rick 2011/09/04 06:43:11
    my position on frecking is ....
    Rick
    +1
    If the geologists and downhole tools have done their respective jobs correctly, it can be done safely -- IMHO. Do it! We need the energy. It dammed sure beats sitting in a traffic jam behind a diesel bus, as well.
  • Grayfox1940 2011/09/04 00:27:24
    Grayfox1940
    Makes sense to me as long as all reasonable measures are taken to protect the water supply
  • I wouldn't want Fracking taking place near my water supply
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Has anybody notice that this would be unnecessary if we used Solar Power to electrolize seawater into fuel. This has happened naturally in the upper atmosphere since the planet coalesced so there's no fear of running out. This is Earth, not Tatooine (or Dune).
  • Grayfox... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2011/09/04 00:28:00
    Grayfox1940
    Did you flunk science??
  • Mr Marvin 2011/09/03 22:37:57
    Mr Marvin
    Drill baby drill. We need to use our own gas. Ya'll be careful now, you hear.
  • Ron 2011/09/03 21:47:04
    my position on frecking is ....
    Ron
    +1
    Mistakes have been made, but I think we can learn from our mistakes and not pull our head into our little shells. Keep on fracking and save America from the foreign oil people!
  • VT 2011/09/03 18:38:01
    VT
    +1
    I think it's not such a bad idea if the companies that do this sort of work take steps to make sure it's not contaminating the ground water or anything else.
  • MCA~AFCL~PWCM 2011/09/03 12:56:35
    MCA~AFCL~PWCM
    I agree with 100% with Jack Schitt! I believe anti fracking documentaries are grossly negligent in that they fail to bring up all the safety precautions that are being used to protect the environment and the people as well as the success stories over the past half a century!
  • Boo 2011/09/03 12:16:36 (edited)
    Boo
    +1
    I am an "anti-Fracker" and I think that either fracking needs to end or the environmental regulations that were so conviently silenced for Haliburton's (and any other natural gas companies) Horizontal drilling techniques need to be reinforced once again....I highly recommend watching the movie "Gasland" to all who are interested in learning more about fracking:

anti-fracker fracking reccommend watching movie gasland learning fracking gasland

Gasland Trailor:

• Ron Boo 2011/09/03 21:44:28
    Ron
    So how are you going to cook your breakfast in the morning or watch your TV shows in the evening. Even the electricity you say you use may have been generated using natural gas. Most electric companies have back up generators using natural gas. Going to get mighty hungry and mighty boring without that natural gas. Yes sir! Mighty!!!
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Ron 2011/09/03 23:36:15
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    but until recently, most natural gas was just burned off as unprofitable waste by the petroleum industry. I remember satellite photos of the Persian Gulf at night being lit up by the flames. Spilt milk now. Solar produced hydrogen can fill the gap and alleviate Climate Change (it's inevitable, but we're not helping by possibly exacerbating it).
  • Ron ⚥Κόζμω ... 2011/09/13 21:26:24
    Ron
    But so far we have not produced much solar produced hydrogen and I personally do not believe that we have exacerbated climate change by what we have done.
  • Fenris 2011/09/03 11:34:14
    It's non of my Fracking Business
    Fenris
    I´m not sure about this!
  • AL 2011/09/03 09:04:13
    AL
    If we need it, lets get it as safe as we can!
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/09/03 07:01:20
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    I have seen the video about the people's water it has effected
    The new fracking liquid has been proven harmless. We need the fuel!
  • out damned spot 2011/09/03 04:37:03
  • MichaelDillon 2011/09/03 04:31:22
    my position on frecking is ....
    MichaelDillon
    +1
    We need the gas. Getting out safely is the problem. Solution is easy, CEO's of companies not using right procedures get 6 months on a chain gang for each violation. safely solution ceos companies procedures 6 chain gang violation
  • JoLost 2011/09/03 03:25:34
    my position on frecking is ....
    JoLost
    +1
    is irrelevant until I amass the capital and political influence that the industry has on the "peoples" representatives.
  • Pilot337 2011/09/03 02:56:50
    Pilot337
    +1
    If we're not going to rein in the uncontrolled overpopulation of the planet, then frack on, because in another hundred years or so, nothing else will matter. Might as well have the energy. Oh, I know...it's not nice to say people popping out babies like Pez is wrong. Well, frack you!
  • JoLost Pilot337 2011/09/08 02:55:01
    JoLost
    We are thinning out the herd now. (Google 2011 wars). Of course only a few "people" are capitalizing and profiteering from this harvesting.....You know, US citizens and other international person hoods like Mr. G.E., Mr. Pepsi, Koch Industries, etc

Then watch "Torchwood: Miracle Day season 4 for some highlights of what can be implemented to categorize and level the field.

Not to worry too much about over populating, its just the odor of mass graves that some will have to deal with.
  • gidianedwards97 2011/09/03 02:46:46
    my position on frecking is ....
    gidianedwards97
    I can sit on the camode and give off natural gas.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... gidiane... 2011/09/03 23:46:29
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    i think only a quarter of humans put significant methane, hydrogen & its sulphide are flamable though (kills the smell too, maybe installing pilot lights on cattle & like people may help. And have all Mexican & Co. have lit candles on each table & on the walls so there's no explosion if somebody clicks on a fan or pick up a landline phone).

Interesting, cows and kangaroos eat the same stuff but the roos don't produce methane, no shortage of them in Oz.
  • Contessa Sanguina 2011/09/03 02:03:50
    Contessa Sanguina
    +1
    Sure frack away since all energy usage has some negative. Unfortunately, cold fusion won't work yet, haven't heard negative on it. So far no such thing as a free lunch. Hydro not enough, Wind not enough and it is a eye sore as well as kills birds.
  • Maria R 2011/09/03 02:02:35
    Maria R
    +1
    Frack baby Frack
  • Tim 2011/09/03 01:39:55
    my position on frecking is ....
    Tim
    +1
    Fracking the environment!
  • Georgia50 2011/09/03 01:38:32 (edited)
    Georgia50
    +3
    If it wasn't feasible, the enviro looney tunes wouldn't care. But it is feasible, economical, and good for America. Ergo, they are up in arms.

The process of releasing NG takes place thousands of feet below the water table, and the shaft is sealed. There's no danger, and NG is clean energy.

In June 2010, the Wall Street Journal reported that EPA administrator Lisa Jackson had informed Congress that there have been no "proven cases where the fracking process itself has affected water". That would be Obama's girl.

Decent article: http://online.wsj.com/article...
  • happyday49 2011/09/03 01:10:02
    my position on frecking is ....
    happyday49
    Continue fracking using extremely careful and honest about the negatives. EPA should not be over regulating or imposing strict rules if the reports on fracking are not totally factual, actual, or just something negative so as to promote the basically made-up green, global warming agenda. Not saying that I don't believe that we should not be concerned and protective over our environment.
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2011/09/03 00:59:16
    my position on frecking is ....
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    USGS does not have enough data on the effects. The earthquakes in Virginia and Colorado were near fracking sites. There were 2 earthquakes in the UK - also near fracking sites. All earthquakes had similar characteristics.

My opinion is fracking needs to be halted for investigation.
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2011/09/03 00:41:06
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    +1
    Frack it!
    my position on frecking is ....
    +1
    Frankly I do not know what Fracking Natural Gas is, but if it involves getting more usable Natural Gas for America Go for it.

2014/09/22 02:21:20