What is your opinion of MICHAEL MOORE?

Drue-AFCL 2012/07/04 02:49:39
Related Topics: Michael Moore

• Dogman notokand 2012/07/04 21:01:31
    Dogman
    I've heard many people make the claim that his movies contain lies, but, when pressed, no one can ever name one.
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/05 15:25:43
    notokand
    Then why don't you watch one of those listed? I'm sorry I don't memorize everything... When i did name a few, you claimed I was "all over the place" and that saying you're against capitalism, but profiting off it, lying about being a millionaire, and changing footage is not lying.

One thing that did stand in my mind is the lies about the Bowling for Columbine when he buys the gun and walks out. It was actually shot over two days and the bank made special procedures to get the gun wait shortened because of how he presented the documentary to them. He had to go through the process like everyone else, but they tried to speed it up for his purposes. He also cut 2 of the interviews to make it look like they were just handing guns and manipulated the poor old lady's words.
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/05 18:21:32
    Dogman
    I never said I was against capitalism. I don't believe Moore ever said he wasn't a millionaire, (you claimed that he said he wasn't a one percenter), my guess would be that his definition was beyond the money. Editing is part of the process of making a documentary. I agree that altering an interview for dramatic effect is dishonest, but did he lie - that's the question.

His point on the availability of gun is that it's relatively easy for almost anyone to get a gun fairly quickly in the US. Is that untrue?
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/05 20:51:45
    notokand
    He did on a late night talk show. He also claimed he wasn't a 1% there too. He's also bragged about much he has, blah, blah blah. I quit. You do't listen- you're the perfect person to believe in him. You don't even look around for yourself so I am obvisouly wasting my breath.
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/05 15:58:45
    notokand
    Thing of it is, if you look into things yourself once in a while, you'll get a better idea than just asking others to do it for you. Okay, here's one claim (it's long):
    "Michael Moore’s deep seated personal hatred for Charlton Heston drove Moore to fabricate numerous utterly false film montages slandering Mr. Heston. A central theme of Bowling for Columbine is Moore’s assertion that the National Rifle Association and its then-president Charlton Heston are indifferent to the victims of firearm injury. From the very beginning Moore misleads his audience by using misleading film montages to suggest that the NRA held a boisterous “large pro-gun rally” in Denver soon after the Columbine High School shootings in nearby Littleton. In one of these Moore montages a clip of weeping high schoolers is immediately followed by a snippet showing Charlton Heston holding aloft a muzzle-loading musket and proclaiming with a smile, “I have only five words for you: ‘from my cold, dead, hands.’”

Stitched onto this is a clip showing a billboard advertising the NRA gathering which is enhanced by an overdub of Moore’s voice darkly intoning that “Just ten days after the Columbine killings, despite the pleas of a community in mourning, Charlton Heston came to Denver and held a large pro-gun rally for th...

Stitched onto this is a clip showing a billboard advertising the NRA gathering which is enhanced by an overdub of Moore’s voice darkly intoning that “Just ten days after the Columbine killings, despite the pleas of a community in mourning, Charlton Heston came to Denver and held a large pro-gun rally for the National Rifle Association.” Then the film snaps back to Charlton Heston who is just then saying “I have a message from the mayor, Mr. Wellington Web, the mayor of Denver. He sent me this: It says ‘don’t come here. We don’t want you here.’ I say to the mayor, this is our country, as Americans we’re free to travel wherever we want in our broad land. Don’t come here? We’re already here!”

This carefully crafted film montage is calculated to plant in the mind of every unsuspecting viewer the idea that Charlton Heston and the NRA callously blundered into Denver soon after a local tragedy and began thumbing their noses at tearful mourners. Here are the facts that Michael Moore concealed form his ticket buyers in order to distort their perceptions and fatten his bank account:

One: There was no “large pro-gun rally.” The gathering was an annual NRA meeting, the time and place of which were set years before the event.

Two: The NRA is a New York non-profit corporation which is bound by New York law to hold annual member meetings.

Three: New York law requires a minimum ten-day notice to all voting members of any change in the time or place of an annual meeting. The Columbine shooting happened a scant eleven days before the long-planned NRA annual meeting, so there was no time to notify the NRA’s four million members of a last minute change of venue.

Four: The Denver meeting was a dour bare-bones affair. Out of consideration for the folks in Littleton the NRA cancelled all of its usual sporting events, dinners and rallies. The only event was the annual members’ vote. The Rocky Mountain News announced: “President Charlton Heston and the group’s executive vice president Wayne La Pierre, said all seminars, workshops, luncheons, exhibits by gun makers and other vendors, and festivities are cancelled.”

Michael Moore knew all of this before he entered his editing room; he knew the NRA was bound by law to hold a meeting; he knew it was impossible for them to change the location of their annual meeting; he knew the NRA had done everything humanly possible to be subdued and respectful. Furthermore, the film clip of Charlton Heston holding a musket was shot a year after the Denver meeting at a venue in Charlotte, North Carolina. Mr. Heston had just received the musket as a gift; his words “from by cold, dead, hands” was meant as a gesture of gratitude to those who had given him an exquisitely crafted keepsake. He was saying “I will cherish it always.” Michael Moore knew all this; he chose to carefully stitch together the clip of Heston holding the musket and the clip of weeping students because Moore chose to slander Charlton Heston. Moore’s slanders are never inadvertent slips of the tongue; they are carefully premeditated pieces of cinematic craftsmanship. Moore’s deceptions are the result of great effort.

Michael Moore expresses his hatred of Charlton Heston once again in the video-clip collection wherein Heston seems to be defiantly challenging the mayor of Denver. This sequence is a master work of uber editing heavily peppered with Frankenbites. What seems to be coming from Heston’s mouth is actually audio lifted from seven sentences which were plucked from five separate parts of a speech, together with part of an entirely different speech.

Let’s deconstruct this classic bit of Michael Moore mummery: Associating the scene of the weeping students with the clip of Heston holding the musket is meant to mislead you into believing that Heston was heedless to their grief. Moore wants you to hate Heston. Next comes the breakaway shot of the billboard announcing the NRA meeting. This breakaway is necessary because the viewer must be distracted long enough to forget that Charlton Heston, who was wearing a purple tie and a lavender shirt before the breakaway shot, is suddenly wearing a red tie and a white shirt after the breakaway shot. As if by magic the draperies behind Mr. Heston have changed from maroon to blue. Clearly, this whole segment is false history that Moore invented in his editing room. Moore’s bedazzled fans are so uncritically attached to him that they would never think to examine his films closely, but this is the Age of Tivo when anyone, including you, can sit at home and examine any Michael Moore movie frame by frame. Used copies of Michael Moore movies are available on Amazon.com for less than three dollars each; you can confirm the truth for yourself and not a nickel your purchase price will go to Michael Moore.

Moore carefully edited out the part of the speech where Charlton Heston says “As you know, we’ve cancelled the festivities, the fellowship we normally enjoy at our annual gatherings. This decision has perplexed a few and inconvenienced thousands.” It’s hard to demonize a man who is showing compassion, so Moore edited out all signs of Heston’s compassion.
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/05 20:15:01
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/05 20:53:14
    notokand
    They couldn't have- they are a non-profit. That was explained in what I gave you.
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/06 01:03:17
    Dogman
    Who couldn't have what?
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/06 16:09:58
    notokand
    The NRA could not have changed when they went to Columbine. It was happened nine days before the meeting and something like 40,000 were in attendance. It had been set up to meet there approx 2 years prior. They need 10 days notice in order to move that due to NY regulations (where it's based out of) as they are a non-profit. In order to show some respect as they had to hold the meeting and couldn't move it, Heston cancelled all of its usual sporting events, dinners and rallies. The only event was the annual members’ vote.
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/06 23:07:01
    Dogman
    Right.
  • warkitten Franklin 2012/07/04 16:16:36
    warkitten
    Why did I always think he was Canadian?
  • 'Zedd warkitten 2012/07/04 18:10:11
  • Savior Dogman 2012/07/04 15:43:00
    Savior
    okay so you don't mind that the very reason he's wealthy is because he practices the same ideas that he's so much against. I take it your against it too, but unlike him you haven't found a way to profit from capitalism. Don't worry if you work hard, and are determined, along side a stroke of genius (that occurred with the 400 pound hypocrite himself, when he discovered he can use a system for himself while making it seem like it's the most evil thing in the world) you will be able to achieve the success you want to.

Not unless you want the government to regulate success so as long as you aren't achieving your dreams, no one should (except government officials of course). Once you put government on a pedestal it will never come down until you take them off.
  • Dogman Savior 2012/07/04 16:08:56
    Dogman
    OK - I've read this several times and I think I know what you're trying to say. Please don't underestimate the importance of grammar and punctuation.

Your first sentence is, I believe, a question: " . . . you don't mind that the very reason he's wealthy is because he practices the same ideas that he's so much against."

Are you saying that he is against documentaries and speaking engagements? That's how he has made his money. I'm not aware of him being anti-capitalism - I can assure you that I'm not. I don't know where the notion of regulating success came from, I've never seen the government do that. The purpose of regulation is to protect the public from those who would do harm. I'm OK with that.
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/04 18:29:47
    notokand
    If you are "not aware of him being anti-capitalism" you must have only watched half of one of his movies!
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/04 18:48:18
    Dogman
    Please cite your claim.
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/04 20:36:47
    notokand
    Watch his movies? His movie Capitalism: A Love Story is about this...
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/04 21:03:27
    Dogman
    Is the movie anti-capitalism or does it vilify the abuses of capitalism?
  • notokand Dogman 2012/07/05 15:26:11
    notokand
    THere's this wonderful tool, Google. Try it. Or rent it.
  • Dogman notokand 2012/07/05 20:22:26
    Dogman
    I'm familiar with Google, dear, I'm trying to get you to think.
  • 4570GOVT Dogman 2012/07/04 17:20:29
    4570GOVT
    WOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEE ! ROFLMFAO@U ! ................ wow , snicker !
  • Dogman 4570GOVT 2012/07/04 18:20:31
    Dogman
    A well thought out and reasoned response. I would have expected no less.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/07/04 12:48:18
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    Jeff Smith
    +3
    Don't really know him I do know that he's made some controversial films that irritate the hell out of the right but since I don't watch films or TV for that matter I really have no idea who Michael Moore is other than what I've heard and it wasn't good.
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    +2
    Tell him to shave, lose 50 lbs and GET A REAL JOB.
  • 'Zedd Lady Wh... 2012/07/04 18:11:57
  • Theresa2000 2012/07/04 12:40:09
  • freethinker 2012/07/04 12:36:50
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    freethinker
    +3
    know who is worse Bill (Roadkill) Maher or the Great Jabba!! lol...
  • ray 2012/07/04 11:58:17
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    ray
    +5
    he is a walking contradiction
  • Getting... ray 2012/07/04 15:28:21
    GettingBarried
    moore like waddling...
  • Mark P. 2012/07/04 11:31:59
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    Mark P.
  • Andrew 2012/07/04 11:31:06 (edited)
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    +3
    Hypocritical Communist Screwball!
  • Andrew Andrew 2012/07/04 11:52:51
    +3
    Can I add, LIAR?!
  • Obama F... Andrew 2012/07/04 12:49:09
  • true american 2012/07/04 11:26:25
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    true american
  • BritPunk 2012/07/04 11:07:54
  • superan... BritPunk 2012/07/04 12:01:23
  • cddjmikey 2012/07/04 10:19:21
    I DON'T. . . . . . . . . . .
    cddjmikey
    +6
    MY OPINION IS NOT PRINTABLE !
  • Getting... cddjmikey 2012/07/04 15:26:46
    GettingBarried
    +1
    awww come on! Let it rip. It'll make ya feel better.
  • superangrymonkey 2012/07/04 09:57:22
  • warkitten superan... 2012/07/04 16:18:32
    warkitten
    Will you marry me? ......

2014/09/23 20:30:47