What is your biggest pet peeve(s) about retail: as a customer or employee?

Andrea 2009/06/15 04:40:45
It would have to be.......
Definitely this one......
I got so many I could write a book!
I work in retail, and constantly am confronted with people who I just shake my head at because if I said what I thought I would no longer have a job. My BIGGEST peeve is when a customer comes to my counter talking on a cell phone and completely ignores me from start to finish. I believe there is no excuse for rudeness. What is yours?

• Catcha 2013/03/08 08:08:06
    Definitely this one......
    Catcha
    Years ago when I worked retail , it always upsets me rhetorical questions are being asked. Is this is the price? Yes, that's the price. And also when they shopped the rack. What is so freaking hard in picking up the first item on the rack, look at it , then if you like it, then get your size. The Customers used to literally through the merchandise to the floor, just to find their correct size. C'mon now.
  • gingin6 2010/05/17 09:50:35
    It would have to be.......
    gingin6
    When the employees talk to each other and not helping the customer
    immediately. Dont they have breaks for that? My other one is their
    light isn't turned on and or when nobody's there to help. And long lines
    backed up and don't have someone come out quickly to take some
    customers. Most of the time it's okay, but every now and then, I get
    these problems with the rude services.
  • Andrea gingin6 2013/03/08 11:00:21
    Andrea
    If the light is not on, they are not open. That one is easy.

If no one comes out immediately to open a register when the lines are long, that means there is no one to open a register yet. Not everyone in a store is register trained, and seriously, even if there were, why would a store pay a salaried person to be a cashier? And why would a manager cashier? I am a merchandising supervisor. I order stock, set features and end caps, set modulars and do resets, and a heck of a lot more. Why would I be expected to cashier? If I am cashiering, then I am not doing my job, then there is no stock in my 15 departments, then customers get pissy when the items they want are not there.

The simple fact is, people want cheap, so stores do what they must to keep prices down. If you want fast, then go to a store where there are tons of cashiers but the prices are higher, like Kmart or Target, or Publix.

Personally, I don't mind waiting in line, or using the self checkout. Having been on the other side of the counter before, I have a healthy respect for retail workers.
  • Grissom 2010/05/17 00:52:10
    It would have to be.......
    Grissom
    +1
    So far, it hasn't been too bad for me...
  • brutusin~ Proud Apetheist 2010/05/16 23:30:51
    It would have to be.......
    brutusin~ Proud Apetheist
    Either the weather or repeat questions.
  • Pele Emerging 2010/05/16 05:41:21
    Definitely this one......
    Pele Emerging
    I don't work in retail, but the thing that bugs me the most when I'm shopping is parents who let their kids run wild. They seem to think that a) the store has some obligation to babysit the kids while the parents shop, or b) their little darlings can do no wrong, or c) it's ok for their little darlings to wreck, destroy, eat, or whatever in the store and parents should not be asked to pay for the damage.

I'm a teacher. Sometimes, when I'm shopping, I feel like screaming to parents: I don't DO unruly kids on my off time. YOU must make them behave now. I want to tell that that it is NOT child abuse to say no and mean it. It is NOT child abuse to remove a child from a story who is having a screaming tantrum. It is NOT child abuse to expect your children to behave themselves.
  • Andrea Pele Em... 2010/05/16 07:39:44
    Andrea
    +1
    I always make a comment loud enough where the mother can hear me if I am close enough. Something to the effect of 'my children never acted like that. They were not allowed to'. It gets the message across.
  • (;Soℓℓ.❤ 2010/05/16 02:57:52
    It would have to be.......
    (;Soℓℓ.❤
    Well Once I Went To Taco Bell And The Lady Working There Got My Order Wrong And Then When She Finally Did Get My Order Right She Rolled Her Eyes At Me And Then Practically Threw The Food At Me. Then When I Told Her I Still Needed My Drink She Rolled Her Eyes At Me Again And Then Completely Ignored Me.
    So Being Rude Reallys Annoys Me.
  • Doreen 2010/05/15 21:02:47
    It would have to be.......
    Doreen
    Yes the cell phone thing is the first. I do not enjoy the high school girl talking about how Johnny screwed around on her and she is going to beat the crap out of that Laura girl because of it. My second pet peeve is when I need help with questions about something important and there is either no one there or I get the teenager of the hour who has no clue about anything.
  • Andrea Doreen 2013/03/08 11:04:47
    Andrea
    The cell phone I agree with. Not knowing the answer to questions, I have worked retail for over 25 years, and I still don't know everything. A man asked me yesterday about an electric toothbrush and the replacement heads. He had an older version and wanted to know the compatible ones. I am a merchandising supervisor for 15 departments. When I had to use google to get the answer, he got smart with me about not knowing my job.

THAT pissed me off. I KNOW my JOB. I do not know everything about every item in all my 15 departments. That is over 10,000 items. How the heck am I supposed to know every compatible toothbrush head? That is why Google is in business. Customers sometimes are the stupid they accuse me of being.
  • TruBluTopaz 2010/05/15 19:30:13
    It would have to be.......
    TruBluTopaz
    For me, how clueless and isolated many parents are regarding their teenage children.
    For my daughter, how lazy some people are regarding things like being on time or filing paper work.
    For my son, how people like to scam the system to get things for free by lying.
    For my other son, managers that know less than their employees about how to run the place.
    For my husband, having to deal with the local, state or federal bureaucracy on anything.
  • VERYwiseguy 2010/05/15 04:16:51
    Definitely this one......
    VERYwiseguy
    Talking on the cell while waiting on me or not waiting on me.
  • Conservative Craig 2010/05/15 02:14:12
    Definitely this one......
    Conservative Craig
    I hate being ignored. If a clerk is busy and doesn't acknowledge me I get piussed. On the other hand if they acknowledge me and it takes a few minutes, I'm fine with that. Just let me know that you know I'm there.
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2010/05/14 18:09:23
  • Dave In Cali 2010/05/14 17:30:17
    Definitely this one......
    Dave In Cali
    When I was in retail, I was struck dumb by the amount of self-entitlement we have. People would walk in and act like they were royalty, throwing tantrums because the shirt they wanted to buy wasn't in their size. People talk down to waiters and cashiers like they are less than people...

The jobs pay practically nothing, and the customers are generally rude and annoying. The end result is a disgruntled employee who ha no incentive to give "good customer service".

Glad to be in a real job. I always try to be nice to retail and restaurant workers - I remember how much it sucked when I was there.
  • YourKnifeMyBackMyGunYourHead 2010/05/14 17:23:17
    Definitely this one......
    YourKnifeMyBackMyGunYourHead
    When older people fight with the worker. I mean come on they would know what's in the store, they work there.
  • Phant4sy 2010/05/14 17:22:21
    I got so many I could write a book!
    Phant4sy
    Honey, you know you and I can go on all day, as we already have on numerous occasions. I posted a blog. Let me go grab it and paste it here, BRB.
  • Phant4sy Phant4sy 2010/05/14 17:24:18
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2010/05/14 16:27:55 (edited)
    I got so many I could write a book!
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +2
    *Talking on the cell phone.

*Dropping my merchandise on the floor from 5 feet. (No you can not get a discount on that, your the one who dropped it on the floor)

*People who try to take me for an idiot when it comes to the return policy.

*People who fight me to get cash back when I have no cash to give because they come to my store at the moment of opening.

*Customers who think they are right when they are clearly wrong.

*Customers who come in to waste my time. (I am not going to buy anything but can I try this on)

*Customers who get angry at me for giving them good customer service (I know wtf right?)

*People who want something for free. If your not at a flee market you can't bargain for free things.

I f*cking hate retail yet I do it. Ugh. I seriously just hate people.
  • TruBluT... Ves~Sai... 2010/05/15 19:34:39
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    My daughter used to work a cosmetics counter at Macy's. While she liked the job, some of the customers were simply pigs. LIke the lady who bought $300 worth of stuff, opened every jar and container, stuck her finger in and then returned it because she decided she didn't like it. I remember working at Sanger Harris (now Macy's in Dallas) in the China dept. They had a policy of passing high dollar returns up the chain of command. So this old lady comes in with a spoon from a silver pattern that had been discontinued years before. She pitched a fit demanding we take back the entire set of silver. What's funny is that this is when silver was at a high price due to the commodities market, so the store manager paid her $1200 for what amounted to around $7000 worth of silver. So sometimes there is justice.
  • Ves~Sai... TruBluT... 2010/05/16 03:12:22
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    In her FACE lol I like when people miss out, because they deserve it when they are that much of a jerk off.
  • jake 2010/05/14 16:20:10
    It would have to be.......
    jake
    it comes with your job description to fullfill the customer needs. not to be correct, or smarter or fight with the customer. the customer does have a right to be stupid and has a right to be not on his / her best behavior with you. unless someone offends you, you shouldnt take anything to heart and just smile and carry on. its part of your job.
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 16:28:42
  • jake Ves~Sai... 2010/05/14 16:31:15
    jake
    yes unless they offend you. im not sure what treated like shyt is. if you are more specific.
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 16:37:09
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Customers yelling at the top of their lungs.

Customers making threats.

Customers actually using assault and battery.

There are many wonderful reasons why people do and can call security to have people removed if they are truly being unreasonable. Many customers treat those in customer service very very poorly. It is not our job to take that type of assault. Verbal or physical.
  • jake Ves~Sai... 2010/05/14 16:41:57
    jake
    yes tolerating violence and abuse does not come with the job description. but in general you need a thicker skin for the job.
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 16:46:38 (edited)
  • jake Ves~Sai... 2010/05/14 16:49:10
    jake
    well, im sorry about that. but you may have misunderstood into thinking i am arguing with you. i am not.
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 17:02:55
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    I am not arguing either. This is an opinion forum where others can talk, debate, or argue. Did you not expect someone to chime in with something?
  • jake Ves~Sai... 2010/05/14 17:09:54
    jake
    i did expect and i welcome it. but making sure you know i was not disagreeing with you.
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 17:12:31
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    We are on the same page then.
  • jake Ves~Sai... 2010/05/14 17:14:58
    jake
    yes,though you a little more passionate than me since you are directly involved in it. peace!!
  • Ves~Sai... jake 2010/05/14 17:24:22
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    Doesn't mean I was looking to argue. Just talk about it. And since I am directly involved in it I have more experience that people who are not in it who may not understand it.
  • Andrea jake 2010/05/14 20:17:14
    Andrea
    Have you ever worked in retail?
  • jake Andrea 2010/05/15 10:23:21
    jake
    yes i have worked in front line - sales indoor, outdoor, and in after sales service. and dealing with some people can be a tricky issue.
  • TruBluT... jake 2010/05/15 19:37:14
    TruBluTopaz
    But you would have to admit that too many people try to get something for nothing. My son is a fastfood manager and generally gets high customer service awards. But they have a book of people who regularly try to make false complaints to get free service or food. One lady even had a hissy when they didn't make a sandwich that wasn't even on the menu but that she "knew about because she heard about it somewhere." Some people come in looking for a fight. And those numbers are growing.
  • jake TruBluT... 2010/05/16 17:16:05
    jake
    +1
    growing unemployment has something to do with it ? or just some people will be that way. i would be ashamed to demand free food as compensation for whatever, lol
  • Andrea jake 2010/05/16 18:25:30
    Andrea
    Just like people who try to return things that are branded to another store. They KNOW they are trying to rip you off, and when you point out that "Walmart does not sell this" they go into hysterical mode and start screaming that you don't know what you are talking about. Hello..I work here you idiot lol.
  • GirlyGirl™ 2010/05/14 15:57:20
    I got so many I could write a book!
    GirlyGirl™
    +1
    I worked in restaurants and hotels before I got my degree, and I hated it. All these people b!tching and moaning so they'll get something for free. Or calling and complaining to the manager after I'd already dealt with your problem, and telling him that I was rude to you! I thank God every single day that I passed the Bar and I don't have to deal with that crap anymore!
  • Merl 2010/05/14 15:19:34
    It would have to be.......
    Merl
    +1
    When I used to work in a clothing store, as a young man, and had to clean the woman's bathroom. Darn it ladies it isn't a hovering contest, since you have no capacity to aim, sit all the way down on the seat please. You would be amazed at how filthy women can be when they don't have to clean it up themselves. The man's bathroom was a joy to clean compared to the woman's.

2014/04/23 09:41:28