What is the worst part of being in the Military?

Rocky 2011/08/25 17:10:39
I put in six years in the Marines before I came out to attend Medical School. There were a few problems, nothing outstanding to mention, but there was something that cropped up regularly when we were being redeployed...or being reassigned....leaving your loved ones behind. I guess some of you could say the strictness of the regimented military life, ie, ules and regulations along with the punishment if brought up on charges of any kind! The Phrase, "Courts Martial" has sort of a finality to it when you first hear it.

• Jazzy 2011/08/29 04:34:33
    Jazzy
    Kissing a loved one Goodbye
  • reasontolive 2011/08/25 22:03:19
    reasontolive
    +1
    All of the above? My father was in for over 30 years. He had to leave us twice for a year. Of course, we moved around a lot and I was fortunate to be able to travel. Because of his job, we only lived on base once. Dad was very strict and tried to run the house like a barracks. I could have done without that! He has mellowed some in his old age, though.
  • Laurie M 2011/08/25 21:06:18
    Parting when transferred toanother assignment!
    Laurie M
    +1
    Thank you for your service. My ex was military and the separation is awful
  • James 2011/08/25 19:10:09
    James
    +1
    I did it for 2o years and it never got easy
  • Rocky James 2011/08/25 19:28:55
    Rocky
    +1
    Thanks for your Service James....and your response.
  • James Rocky 2011/08/25 19:30:38
    James
    you are welcome
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2011/08/25 18:54:41
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +1
    I'm not in the military, but my dad was Navy and I DESPISED moving!

Now that I'm older I appreciate all the places I've been and that I wasn't stuck in the same place my whole life, but it sucked as a kid, having to change schools and stuff.
    Would never want to do that with any kids I may have someday...which is part of why I could never marry into the military.
  • Jd 2011/08/25 17:34:03 (edited)
    Jd
    +1
    The PTS (Peform To Serve) System that is in place in the US Navy, for starters. It is kicking out good sailors, not by their performance, no no that would be justified. but by the year they came into the NAVY!!! There are thousands(and yes THOUSANDS) of Sailors, Good sailors, who are facing the axe due to the new budget crisis, and the best way the DOD can do it is by evauating what year you came into the Navy and what job you are in...if there are too many of you that came in the Navy during that year...then some have to go!!! No matter what kind of Saiolor you are, or what quals you have, or even if you have a stellar eval! And Just to add insult to injury, there is now the ERB (Enlisted Review Board), say you have been in 14 years and your job is overmanner(which means there are too many of you rate) A board will look at your personnel record and even with the minorest of offenses...you get the boot. Say a shipmate has been 14 years and is a stellar performer and a receipent of the Sailor of the Year once or twice, but he recieved a DUI in the beginning of his career and he managed to turn his life around and become "Joe Navy"... due to that DUI that happened, say, 12 years ago, he is out of a career, no benefitsm no retirement. That is what I cannot stand!! The deploymets,...
    The PTS (Peform To Serve) System that is in place in the US Navy, for starters. It is kicking out good sailors, not by their performance, no no that would be justified. but by the year they came into the NAVY!!! There are thousands(and yes THOUSANDS) of Sailors, Good sailors, who are facing the axe due to the new budget crisis, and the best way the DOD can do it is by evauating what year you came into the Navy and what job you are in...if there are too many of you that came in the Navy during that year...then some have to go!!! No matter what kind of Saiolor you are, or what quals you have, or even if you have a stellar eval! And Just to add insult to injury, there is now the ERB (Enlisted Review Board), say you have been in 14 years and your job is overmanner(which means there are too many of you rate) A board will look at your personnel record and even with the minorest of offenses...you get the boot. Say a shipmate has been 14 years and is a stellar performer and a receipent of the Sailor of the Year once or twice, but he recieved a DUI in the beginning of his career and he managed to turn his life around and become "Joe Navy"... due to that DUI that happened, say, 12 years ago, he is out of a career, no benefitsm no retirement. That is what I cannot stand!! The deploymets, the work ups, the IA missions. None of that compares to the uncertainty of your career, not because of your performance, but becuase the budget has to be balanced and Defense is the first to be gutted! compares uncertainty career performance becuase budget balanced defense gutted aviation ordnanceman
  • Rocky Jd 2011/08/25 17:39:08
    Rocky
    +1
    Thanks for the response and I was not cognizant of anything like that happening at present! Thanks for the updates of what is happening with our Military.
  • Jd Rocky 2011/08/25 17:44:45
  • Rocky Jd 2011/08/25 18:19:46
    Rocky
    +1
    "Gopheritt! " as we say here in Texas.
  • Jd Rocky 2011/08/25 18:21:51
  • Momena 2011/08/25 17:30:40
    Momena
    +1
    i know military life its not joy read its hard keep u away from every thing u want but the most is this war that this poor guys going to its heart breaking things i know what war mean
  • Rocky Momena 2011/08/25 17:40:15
    Rocky
    Yes...and Mema...war in any Country is a fast way to meet our Creator.
  • Momena Rocky 2011/08/25 17:44:46
    Momena
    +1
    ur right
  • RageFury 2011/08/25 17:15:43
    RageFury
    +2
    Being away from family was the worst for me.
  • Rocky RageFury 2011/08/25 17:26:31
    Rocky
    +1
    Yes...and it doesn't get any better each time you get transferred to another Duty Station!
  • ROMAD2005 Rocky 2011/09/17 23:51:44
    ROMAD2005
    Know the feeling...I had a one yr old son when I went over to the gulf for a short stint. Was good to keep working hard while over there so the time would pass. I didn't mind the 12+ hr shifts because it meant a little less time to sit around idle and think about my family and how much I missed them even though I still found myself doing it from time to time. That and those kind of hours will make you appreciate sleep...lol.
  • Rocky 2011/08/25 17:14:01 (edited)
    Rocky
    +2
    In my own opinion, it has to be, "Having to leave a wife and the children behind the majority of the time."
    The pay is low by modern Industrial Averages in Salary, though the benefits for Personnel and family are tops. But when Military Personnel are given duty stations over seas, the majority of the time, they have to leave their wife and children in the States...especially if they are low-rank enlisted personnel.

2014/10/31 09:19:18