What is the truth about the Bridge to Nowhere?

Ed - In God I Trust 2008/09/22 15:13:47
This should end the Bridge to Nowhere debate.
I don't care what they say, I don't believe it.
Facts, Facts, Facts, is that all you think about?
Every issue and accusation that the liberals make against Governor Palin is subsequently shown to be pure lies and innuendo. But, the one issue they still frequently use against Governor Palin is the Bridge to Nowhere. Below, are the FACTS about the Bridge to Nowhere !!!

http://councilfor.cagw.org/site/News2?abbr=CCAGW_&page=NewsAr...

For Immediate Release Contact: Leslie K. Paige 202-467-5334
September 11, 2008

CCAGW: BRIDGING THE KNOWLEDGE GAP ON THE “BRIDGE TO NOWHERE”

(Washington, D.C.) - The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste (CCAGW) today released a backgrounder on congressional funding for the bridge from Ketchikan to Gravina Island in Alaska, better known as the “Bridge to Nowhere.” The material addresses some of the questions raised about the history of the bridge and its ultimate demise.

“There has been much debate and even more speculation about how funds for the Bridge to Nowhere were first provided, Congress’s role in changing the nature of the funding, and the various options the state of Alaska had to build the bridge,” said CCAGW President Tom Schatz. “Many in the media and the public are providing an opinion when they should be providing the facts. We intend to continually update this document on our website as additional verifiable information becomes available.”

The Bridge to Nowhere was first funded in August 2005 through the 2005 SAFETEA-LU Act through a $223 million earmark inserted by then-House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Don Young (R-Alaska). In October, 2005, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) offered an amendment to the fiscal 2006 Transportation Appropriations Act to transfer $75 million in funding for the Bridge to Nowhere, along with money for the Knik Arm Bridge in Alaska, to support the rebuilding of the Twin Spans Bridge in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. His amendment was defeated by a vote of 15-82. Senators Biden (D-Del.) and Obama (D-Ill.) voted against the amendment; Sen. McCain (R-Ariz.) was not present for the vote.

In November, 2005, Congress included language in the final version of the fiscal 2006 Transportation Appropriations Act that allowed the state of Alaska to either spend money on the two bridges or on other surface transportation projects. In October, 2006, Alaska Governor Frank Murkowski included $91 million for the Gravina Island Bridge in his budget submission for fiscal year 2007. As a candidate for governor, Sarah Palin expressed a mixture of support and doubt about the bridge, particularly about how the project would be funded. As governor, she submitted her budget on January 17, 2007 without any money for the bridge. On July 17, 2007, the Associated Press reported that “The state of Alaska on Friday officially abandoned the ‘bridge to nowhere’ project that became a nationwide symbol of federal pork-barrel spending.” Governor Palin said in a statement that “Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer.”

“Media reports that Congress killed the Bridge to Nowhere are not accurate,” said Schatz. “The 2006 transportation appropriations bill allowed Alaska to decide whether or not to move forward. Governor Murkowski said yes; Governor Palin said no. Any discussion about the project should begin with facts.”

The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste is the lobbying arm of Citizens Against Government Waste, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in government.

• Kiki 2008/09/22 15:38:23
    Kiki
    +7
    From my blog posted on Sept. 14, 2008...

According to the Anchorage Daily News, when Palin was running for Governor she was for the "Bridge to Nowhere" so that it would help bring prosperity to Gravina Island and access to Ketchikan's airport. Congress eventually removed the earmark language but the money still went to Alaska, leaving it up to the administration of then-Gov. Frank Murkowski to decide whether to go ahead with the bridge or spend the money on something else. By the time Palin took office the only part of the project that had been started was the access road on Gravina Island. After Palin took office and projected costs for the Ketchikan bridge rose to nearly $400 million, administration officials were telling Ketchikan that the project looked less likely. Local leaders shouldn't have been surprised when Palin announced she was turning to less-costly alternatives because late in the governor's race, Palin indicated she would also consider alternatives to a bridge.

Please, read the entire article associated with the link to the Anchorage Daily News. My comment is nothing more than a brief outline of the circumstances surrounding "The Bridge to Nowhere."

Anchorage Daily News

Anchorage Daily News

• Gino™ 2008/09/23 10:18:45
    Gino™
    +1
    Maybe, we should use that 398 Million towards education, dealing with our Homeless issue... or defense... Just a thought.
  • Ed - In... Gino™ 2008/09/23 10:30:15
    Ed - In God I Trust
    I would agree, except the Feds have probably earmarked it for a different pork barrel project.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2008/09/23 01:07:18
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    No, I don't believe it will end. They don't let facts get in the way of their opinion. But thanks for the info for me.
  • Ed - In... Gracie ... 2008/09/23 10:28:53
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +1
    Yes Gracie, I agree. It should, but the libs live by the motto of "tell a lie until it's taken as fact."
  • Robert 2008/09/22 17:46:14
    Robert
    +4
    It has been apparent for a long time that the Democrats will lie, cheat and steal to get a liberal nutcase back in the white house. I wouldn't put murder past them either, fwiw. The liberal nutcase wing of the Democrat Party is a threat to the future of America. obama is their "poster boy."
  • Ed - In... Robert 2008/09/23 10:34:12
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    I couldn't agree more Robert. They keep saying Obama offers "change", and, in his own way, he probably does, "change from "old Washington politics to the OLD Chicago political machine." Just a dirtier brand of politics.
  • Ed - In... Ed - In... 2008/09/23 10:50:32
  • Pjayee~American Patriot~Jus... 2008/09/22 17:05:46
    Pjayee~American Patriot~Just gimme some truth
    +3
    But it wont, Democrats mantra spin spin spin
  • Ed - In... Pjayee~... 2008/09/23 10:36:32
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +3
    Yes, indeed.

• Ed - In... Pjayee~... 2008/09/23 10:54:01
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    Yeah, you would think they would be too dizzy to accomplish anything, wait a minute, that describes Congress right now, lol.

yeah dizzy accomplish wait minute describes congress lol
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2008/09/22 16:56:08
  • Ed - In... Dave**G... 2008/09/23 10:39:42
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    Facts, to liberals, aren't UNKNOWN, they're merely IGNORED.

facts liberals unknown
  • FireBalls-STAND UP united 2008/09/22 16:51:01
    FireBalls-STAND UP united
    +3
    Nice post
    Great Info
    I Like real facts
  • Ed - In... FireBal... 2008/09/23 10:41:07
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    Thank you FB, I do too. It's just a shame that the liberals just blindly ignore them.
  • taj 2008/09/22 16:50:18
    taj
    +3
    ...but unfortunately, I don't think it will. Too many Obama supporters are only interested in learning their candidates talking point, and don't seems to care where the truth really lies.
  • Ed - In... taj 2008/09/23 10:45:56
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    Taj, that's what truly amazes me. The Fiberals constantly rant and rave about using facts. Then when confronted with facts, they ignore, rant, rave, and then "make up" their own.

fiberals constantly rant rave facts confronted facts ignore rant rave
  • Ed - In... taj 2008/09/23 10:57:43
  • ubuntu 2008/09/22 16:50:09
    ubuntu
    +4
    And: This should end the Bridge to Nowhere debate. But as long as Gov. Palin draws breath, these slime-peddlers will not rest.
  • Ed - In... ubuntu 2008/09/23 10:48:25
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +2
    Ubuntu, I couldn't agree more. But, I am proud of the way Governor Palin has taken all the BS in stride. This lady just amazes me.
  • Rover 2008/09/22 16:41:30
    Rover
    +3
    But, unfortunately...it won't
  • Ed - In... Rover 2008/09/22 16:47:51
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +3
    No, I'm quite certain that it won't either.
  • Dale 2008/09/22 16:39:59
    Dale
    +4
    It should end the discussion/debate, but it won't. There are a lot of people that just do not want to be confused with facts. It has always be so and will always be.
  • Ed - In... Dale 2008/09/22 16:48:12
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +4
    Yes, I completely agree.
  • Ed - In... Dale 2008/09/23 10:59:44
  • Kiki 2008/09/22 15:38:23
    Kiki
    +7

Anchorage Daily News

Anchorage Daily News
  • Ed - In... Kiki 2008/09/22 16:00:44
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +4
    Thank you Kiber. I did see your blog on that, and it was tremendous. When I found this article I wanted to bring it to light, especially where the libs still insist on using it as a reason to vote against Governor Palin. But, I'm certain, just like yours, the libs figure that if they tell the lie enough, it makes it the truth.
  • Kiki Ed - In... 2008/09/22 16:30:38
    Kiki
    +4
    Ed...I think it's great that there are McCain supporters willing to repeat and re repeat FACTS so that there's a hope it'll sink in to some folks that they're not getting the whole truth from the Left Stream Media. I cited my blog because it contained a different source than yours. One of the OZombies' favorite tack is to claim that the information is just from one "biased source."
  • Ed - In... Kiki 2008/09/22 16:33:01
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +5
    Ohhhh, how well I know it. For the libs, it's ALWAYS been, "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up." They never cease to amaze me.

2014/10/25 00:50:59