What is Mitt Romney's position on gay rights ?

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/04 15:51:35
Mitt says he is for Gay rights but , Always opposed same sex marriage!

Mitt Romney's position on gay rights doesn't quite lend itself to a bumper sticker. Depending on whom you ask, it is either too thoughtful and nuanced, or too inconsistent and politically expedient. Either way, it's definitely got the GOP presidential candidate on the defensive.

There was a reminder of that Monday when Mitt Romney was forced to defend his opposition to gay marriage during a restaurant encounter with a grizzled Vietnam veteran named Bob Garon, who happened to be gay.

"The story on same-sex marriage is that I have the same position on that I had when I ran from the very beginning," Romney said in an interview last month with the Nashua Telegraph in New Hampshire.

"I'm in favor of traditional marriage. I oppose same-sex marriage. At the same time, I don't believe in discriminating in employment or opportunity for gay individuals. So I favor gay rights; I do not favor same-sex marriage. That has been my position all along."

Always Opposed Gay Marriage

The second part of his statement is clear: Romney does not favor gay marriage. He supports the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that bars federal recognition of gay marriage, as well as a constitutional amendment to do the same.

As governor of Massachusetts, Romney did everything he could to stop gay marriage there after the state's high court allowed it.

Romney responded to the 2003 Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court decision by vowing to keep the state from becoming, as he put it, "the Las Vegas of gay marriage." At the time, Romney stated: "I agree with 3,000 years of recorded history. ... Marriage is an institution between a man and a woman."

But back during his first political run in 1994, Romney aggressively courted gay voters, promising to do more for "full equality" for gays and lesbians than his Massachusetts opponent, Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy.

Today, Romney denies any inconsistency.

"What happened was that the gay community changed their perspective as to what they wanted," Romney told CNN's Piers Morgan this summer, elaborating that when he talks about gay rights, he's never meant gay marriage, but rather equal opportunity in jobs and housing.

"I oppose same-sex marriage," Romney told Morgan. "At the same time, I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

Romney declined an interview with NPR for this report.

"You cannot in the same breath say that you support non-discrimination against LGBT people and that you support DOMA," said Ned Flaherty with Marriage Equality USA. "It makes no sense."

• ComeOnNow 2012/05/10 16:43:29
    ComeOnNow
    Ok, well Romney an Obama have the same stance on this and that is that this is a states rights issue. Obama finally came around to the position that Dick Cheny had years ago, only Obama only came out with it now so he can try to change the subject from his horribly failed policies. It this is not Obvious then you are Oblivious.
    No, he is against Gay Rights
    +1
    His actions yesterday and today show he is a blatant liar and hasn't the balls to accept people for who they are and will cave in to any special interest group that twists bis dinky little dick and balls
  • BIG BAD... sjalan 2012/05/05 16:05:36
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    HAHAHA, you are so right, I hate people like that, liars are never right!
  • Rebel Yell 2012/05/04 17:17:30
    Rebel Yell
    Willard , for once in his life, thought outside the box, went a little crazy, and hired a gay man ( Grenell) to do a big job. Who would have thought it? It was all for show , of course. Romney and gay go together about like oil and water.

It lasted peacefully for a week but when the anti-gay stronghold of the party got wind, the reaction was a meltdown. Fischer (American Family Association )and other rabid right-wingers took great exception to the presence of Grenell in the Romney campaign, declaring him a “loose cannon” and anathema to what the party stands for. Fischer especially held great disdain for Grenell’s sex life, which as a gay man, Fischer assumed to contain "random, frequent, and anonymous sexual encounters.” ( Grenell has been with the same partner for 9 years) It didn't take long for Fischer to make it very clear to Willard that in the world of Republican politics, religious obedience trumps common sense and modern reason. Romney got the message, loud and clear. So did thousands of gays and gay supporters who will be voting.
  • BIG BAD... Rebel Yell 2012/05/04 17:55:11
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    I think your right.
  • Bella 2012/05/04 16:34:43
    Yes, he is for Gay rights?
    Bella
    I thinks he's more libertaiian on these issues. But he can't say so
  • BIG BAD... Bella 2012/05/04 16:58:11
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    I DON'T THINK SO, I think his religion with the Mormon background prevents him from being anyway fare to wards gay rights!
  • Dave0626 2012/05/04 16:26:37
    Dave0626
    +2
    It's a very sad state of affairs when Politics needs to be based on deviant sexual preference. It just about wipes out any moral fortitude this country has left. 50 yrs ago this was not any major issue..
    Hey, why not just put a fking raging drag queen in the White House and be done with it!...
    yrs major issue hey fking raging drag queen white house
  • Joanie Dave0626 2012/05/04 17:09:01
    Joanie
    Indeed, why not? If you dislike our country and the ideals of equality that it stands for, why don't you consider emigrating? There are some fundamentalist fascist countries in the middle east where someone like you might feel quite comfortable.
  • Dave0626 Joanie 2012/05/04 17:14:17
    Dave0626
    +1
    No, but I agree with you Joanie. This country needs more freaks!
  • Judy224 Dave0626 2012/05/05 07:30:38
    Judy224
    +1
    HAHA! Good one Dave.
  • NPC 2012/05/04 16:06:14
    NPC
    +2
    The Democrats will receive at least 85% of the homosexual and lesbian vote like they always do.
  • Mr. T NPC 2012/05/04 16:15:32
    Mr. T
    +1
    Pretty much sums it up doesn't it?
  • David Lindner 2012/05/04 16:01:34
    David Lindner
    +1
    distraction. its the economy stupid
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/04 15:57:30
    No, he is against Gay Rights
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    Mitt says one thing and does another. Fact!
    Mitt tells a gay worker to "shut up" in front of junior staff members!
    Does not seem Mitt is to Gay Friendly!

Romney gay spokesman quit after he was ‘told to shut up’ in front of junior staff
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 21:54 EST, 2 May 2012 | UPDATED: 21:58 EST, 2 May 2012
    Comments (8)
    Share

Mitt Romney's openly gay spokesman Richard Grenell left the campaign because he was 'silenced' while his boss refused to defend him against personal attacks.
    Sources told the Huffington Post that Mr Grenell, Mr Romney's former foreign policy and national security spokesman, felt like his reputation was being destroyed by far right criticism that he would advocate for gay marriage inside a Romney White House.
    Mr Grenell resigned after less than a month on the job and cited 'personal reasons' as the cause for his departure.

Quit: Mitt Romney's openly gay spokesman Richard Grenell left the campaign because he was 'silenced' while his boss refused to defend him against attacks
    His employment by the Romney campaign was heavily questioned by Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, who said Mr Grenell posed a national security risk because of his sexual orientation.
    The criticism ballooned into a major talking point, spreading to...

Does not seem Mitt is to Gay Friendly!

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    Comments (8)
    Share

The criticism ballooned into a major talking point, spreading to numerous publications and a discussion on the National Review's website.
    'In the scale of things, we didn't view it as a major story and in fact thought it had blown over,' a source close to the Romney campaign said to the Huffington Post.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne... Richard Grenel
  • Mr. T 2012/05/04 15:55:21
    Mr. T
    +1
    Gays are not for "gay rights", they are for special rights and special treatment.
  • BIG BAD... Mr. T 2012/05/04 15:59:21
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Really, and what might that be exactly what "Special Treatment"
  • Mr. T BIG BAD... 2012/05/04 16:17:34
    Mr. T
    +1
    If given "gay rights", then it will be "you can't fire me, I'm gay", or companies will be required to hire their token amount of gays...lots of things.
  • Rebel Yell Mr. T 2012/05/04 16:36:42
    Rebel Yell
    You realize that there are already " token amounts" in the work force, and many are openly gay in almost every field. I haven't heard of any saying, " I'm special and you can't fire me." Where the hell do you come up wth this stuff?
  • Mr. T Rebel Yell 2012/05/04 16:41:04
    Mr. T
    Thats because they haven't gotten their "gay rights" yet. Let it happen and then see what happens. Clear as a bell to me.

2014/04/17 07:18:03