What is a true American?

JAG 2009/03/26 16:16:38
big white guy is because he is smarter and this is why
there can only be one and this is why
what ever is in the melting pot are true Americans
Many here on SH seem to think other then conservatives no one else can be a true American. I want to know what gives others the right to call someone that does not agree with their position of not being a true American. Please note other then the Native Americans we are all not true Americans. (less)

• Feck Sodahed 2009/03/26 17:08:26
    Feck Sodahed
    +21
    The definition of a true American is neither the presumption often articulated by conservatives ...nor that only Native Americans can be true Americans. To be an American is a political ideal connected to the nation of the Founding Fathers...and not the cultural ideals of the indigenous people who preceded the founding of the nation of America. There is a difference between nationalism and culture. A true American is one who reveres the ideas that motivated the Founders and compelled them to put their lives... fortunes... and sacred honor on the line. As Americans we must also educate ourselves and our children in order to better understand our nation's founding documents and how America's Founding Fathers originally intended for them to be interpreted. Thomas Jefferson also said: "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Certainly anyone who thinks it is their right to inflict individual religious values on the nation and its rule making is not a true American.

Now as far as the Native Americans... I have the utmost respect for their culture ...and compassion for their plight. But the idea of Native Americans being the only true Americans is misguided. I would equate it to the indigenous peoples ...

Now as far as the Native Americans... I have the utmost respect for their culture ...and compassion for their plight. But the idea of Native Americans being the only true Americans is misguided. I would equate it to the indigenous peoples of Ireland. Their culture lives on. But in reality... the country of Ireland is far removed from that of the original peoples and cultures. It is what it is... a country conquered and oppressed by the British.. and fought for with a new found freedom during the last century. So to say the ancient Celts or the Tuatha De Danann are the only true Irish is misguided. They are the ancient culture and rich history... but not part of the current political entity of the Republic of Ireland.

• Bocephus 2012/03/05 18:25:47 (edited)
  • Silky pal of Jesus 2009/06/08 01:57:56
    Silky pal of Jesus
    +2
    A true American: Being part Mohawk I can assure you that the Native American is a true American. One whose connection to the land and to nature is a deep and abiding one. Grounded in duty, responsibility and in love for to be one with nature is to be close to God.

As a woman who was born and raised on American soil, and brought up with the freedoms that my father and his father fought for, I can tell you that I feel that my love for this country makes me a true American.

I am not a conservative, nor am I a liberal, I am a patriot who wants this country to flourish, to become the land of milk and honey it once was, and to be a strong country. Strong because united we stand, as a nation, always remembering that divided we fall.

A true American is a citizen who love her, and knows that only by the grace of God does she remain great!
  • JAG Silky p... 2009/06/08 11:21:29
    JAG
    +1
    I must say that is well said. And you are so right about united we stand divided we fall. Thank you silky for your input to this old question. My love for this country has no end...
  • Silky p... JAG 2009/06/08 11:47:49
    Silky pal of Jesus
    +1
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • amoobrasil JAG 2012/06/12 13:06:38
    amoobrasil
    Toeing an inflexible party line is the unity sought in countries like Nazi Germany, the USSR, Imperialist Japan, and the like. Intolerance for the ideas and ideals of undefinined "moderates" and "liberals" is a denial of freedome.
  • Zed 2009/04/26 05:54:08
    Zed
    +1
    The beautiful thing about being an an American is you can be or think or say or do what you want and anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand.
  • JAG Zed 2009/04/26 11:57:45
    JAG
    great answer..thanks Zed..
  • Angellbabay 2009/04/07 07:52:40
    Angellbabay
    +2
    Loving American and wanting the best for all of those who live here are "True Americans" It doesnt matter if I agree with you but if you want what you think is best for America then you are an American..... Disagreements and all...
  • JAG Angellb... 2009/04/07 11:35:34
    JAG
    thank you for your input, timothy McVeigh was he a true American? He claimed to have loved this country?
  • Angellb... JAG 2009/04/07 12:00:22
    Angellbabay
    +1
    i think you may have missed where i said want the best for all those that live here...that means not taking innocent lives....
  • JAG Angellb... 2009/04/07 12:11:06
    JAG
    didn't miss what you said. We disagree with Timothy McVeigh at least most Americans do. He claimed love for this country and that is one of the main reasons they did this was for the best of the whole. I just think when you say "Disagreements and all...countradicts your message. His way of showing love for this country I happen to disagree with so was he a true American. In some eyes he was, but the majority would say no.
  • êļļĴáŸê 2009/04/03 21:42:54
    êļļĴáŸê
    +1
    America is based on human freedom. If you exercise those freedoms, you are a True American.
  • JAG êļļĴáŸê 2009/04/03 23:19:25
    JAG
    +1
    could not disagree. Thank you very well said.
  • Mollydolly 2009/04/01 21:17:20
    Mollydolly
    +1
    yes the indigenous Native American's were here first and were abhorently screwed but change is constant and I feel that we are all of the melting pot even those that are of a single ethnicity. We are human beings and whether we like it or not part of one big family. Sure dysfunctional but hey what fam isn't?
  • JAG Mollydolly 2009/04/02 04:31:46
    JAG
    +1
    could not agree with you more my friend. The farn just waking up every day and being able to write this message. lol..
  • crsone 2009/03/29 22:06:50
    crsone
    +3
    although I'd rather think of it as a salad bowl rather than a melting pot. We can see some of us are lettuce and some are carrots and some are olives, but we're all true Americans.
  • JAG crsone 2009/03/30 03:08:42
    JAG
    +1
    very well said and so true. Thank you for you input.
  • Mollydolly crsone 2009/04/02 11:20:01
    Mollydolly
    +2
    I like that better as well, please pass the dressing.
  • oldcavpilot 2009/03/29 12:33:34
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    I'm not trying to be my normal smartass, but it's the taxpayers. My Boy Tom Jefferson once said that 'The United States is a club, and taxes are the dues you pay to belong.' If you're not paying for it (there is more than one way to 'pay') and others are, then it's not yours.
  • JAG oldcavp... 2009/03/29 12:51:37 (edited)
    JAG
    +1
    lol. Great response and you know what they say the only thing as American we have to do is pay taxes and die..Only things we are guaranteed as Americans..Thanks for your input.
  • Bocephus oldcavp... 2012/03/05 18:27:39
  • richard... oldcavp... 2012/04/27 07:58:10
    richard.vervinck
    +2
    SO ALL THE HOMELESS SOLDIERS THAT NO JOBS OR PLACES TO LIVE AND CANT PAY TAXES ARENT TRUE AMERICANS..I DISAGREE..PAYING TAXES DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN AMERICAN
  • richard... richard... 2012/04/27 08:02:41
    richard.vervinck
    +3
    THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO ARE BORN IN THIS COUNTRY THAT SOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO CALL THEM SELVES AMERICANS....
  • oldcavp... richard... 2012/04/27 22:17:55
    oldcavpilot
    +1
    Those soldiers paid. I know. They're more American than most, if not all, people in this country. I'm 100% 'Permnent and Total' disabled by combat; I'm lucky enough to not be homeless. Their continuing sacrifice is an American disgrace.
  • Mully 2009/03/29 02:36:01
    Mully
    +4
    The only true Americans are the people living in America today. Native americans and every other group immigrated to this country at one point as well. Human beings all originated in Africa.
  • JAG Mully 2009/03/29 12:53:05 (edited)
    JAG
    +2
    No denying that for sure. Birth place of life is Africa our mother. Thank you for your input really appreciate.
  • tina JAG 2009/03/29 23:23:32
    tina
    I am not the color of poop thank you very much!!!
  • JAG tina 2009/03/30 03:10:13
    JAG
    +2
    Could have fooled me..smells like poop must be poop.....
  • Tricia ... tina 2009/05/04 09:10:56 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Yeah, you look and smell like it when it's bleached and rotting in the sun like your shriveled soul.

yeah smell bleached rotting sun shriveled soul
  • tina Tricia ... 2009/05/04 13:19:43
    tina
    oh your so sensitive
  • Tricia ... tina 2009/05/05 00:35:05
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Compared to you? LOL!

compared lol
  • ishqboli 2009/03/27 19:34:42
    ishqboli
    +2
    nothing is a true american... we all came from somewhere else at one point.... we are all africans :D

but seriously, you can´t boil down americans to a certain race, religion, political party or activity. whether at home or abroad, black or white (and anything in between), christian or atheist, republican or democrat, rich or poor, lovers or haters... we are all americans.

white christian atheist republican democrat rich poor lovers haters americans
  • JAG ishqboli 2009/03/27 19:36:39
    JAG
    +2
    thank you for you input.
  • tina ishqboli 2009/03/29 23:23:57
    tina
    I still don't have to like you
  • JAG tina 2009/03/30 03:10:42
    JAG
    +1
    nor do they you.
  • Sarah 2 2009/03/27 18:48:46
    Sarah 2
    +3
    First, don't you think it would be good if all Americans read and understood the history of the nation - especially the Constitution? I'd say the next most important thing is to stay informed and I don't mean listen to conservative talk radio. Third thing - volunteer. Give to your country in whatever area you are able - do something for your community, something personal.
  • JAG Sarah 2 2009/03/27 18:50:43
    JAG
    +2
    I think if we just did a some portion of what you have stated we would be a much better and stronger nation. Personally I have given to my country and I am always doing thing within my community. thank you for the input great points.
  • Sarah 2 JAG 2009/03/27 18:54:07
    Sarah 2
    +2
    Thanks. Keep up the good work.
  • will JAG 2014/01/04 06:49:45
    will
    +4
    Jag you sound like a good American some on here I disagree with but that is the good part of being American we are aloud to have opinions unless they have past a law against that too. True Americans are all of us who love our country doesn't matter what religion or what color you are you want our country to be safe for our kids . I love all of my American brothers and sisters doesn't mean I have to like your opinions but as a good American I should respect you and your opinions god bless you all
  • Tricia ... Sarah 2 2009/05/04 09:22:55
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +3
    I so agree with you, Sarah. I wish we had serious training for citizenship in our school system. An educated population that knows the difference between information and opinion, that knows how to research to learn rather than web searching to find garbage that agrees with their prejudices is the future of our democracy unless we like our representatives representing special interests instead of their electorate. Money and name familiarity is a sorry substitute for appropriate positions on the issues that impact our lives. And service to the community should be built into the school system too.

2014/10/21 08:51:39