What Individuals of the Opposing Point of View Do You Find to Be the Most Reasoned in the Political Debate?

Andrew 2011/07/19 22:37:53
In the last couple days, there has been a poll regarding who on Sodahead had the best relevant questions. It was a very good idea as I think we should ask questions of importance rather then so much irrelevant drivel. I ask few questions as my interests at this time seem to be taking a back seat to the vital political struggle in which we are engaged. In light of that I would like to know who you think is the most reasoned individual with whom you DISAGREE. It seems to me, we can pat our friends on the back, but what really matters is if we can come to some agreement with those with whom we disagree philosophically. I think we need to come to compromises that allow us to remain free as individuals and unified as a nation. Right now, in my view, we're not doing to well in that department and THAT should be our mutual focus. I'll start with a few suggestions and leave an other category so you can add your own.

• ☆stillthe12c☆ 2011/07/22 16:07:38
    My choice would be..........! Here's why.
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Diane, She always has a good argument to support her point of view.
  • Paradox25 2011/07/22 08:44:19
    Paradox25
    I'm not into posting other user names because I would never want that done to me, whether positive or negative. One of the users on the above list never responds to my posts, two of those users I've never dealt with and one of them I've only responded to once or twice but in agreement so I can't really answer this accurately. There are a few I can think of at the top of my head who are civil when disagreeing with their posts/blogs but due to my own personal policy I will not mention their names here. Thank you for the alternative option here.
  • Mantic 2011/07/22 03:46:30
    Mantic
    +1
    I could list a number of folks here. But you get as you give, and "reason" is a courtesy.

Sometimes I resent a person for expecting that courtesy. Imagine someone from the Klan coming on SodaHead and arbitrarily blaming Jews or blacks for the problems of the world. You might be in a good mood and try to have a reasoned argument, but I expect usually that would be a waste of time and effort, as such a person is not starting from a reasonable standpoint.

If anything, indulging such a person, behaving as if their claims are at all debatable, would be counterproductive. In the realm of "feeding the troll," at least.
  • Tau_Seti 2011/07/20 12:32:47
  • lucky 2011/07/20 12:20:21
    lucky
    There are too many to name. Most people ive disagreed with on SH have made reasonable arguments especially after they realized i wasnt there to attack or ram my opinion down their throats but just to discuss and try to understand their point of view. Most people on SH are a lot more reasonable and easy to converse with then people give them credit for.
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2011/07/20 08:24:50
    Tinka123 is someone with whom I disagree, but at least she's civil and reason...
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    Although she and I do also agree a lot.

So much of this depends, unfortunately, on learning to talk to the other person. I don't think that should be the case at all, as our default should be assuming the other person isn't being unreasonable and to not attack them immediately.

As an example, if I was talking about whether I though you, Andrew, were reasonable in disagreement a couple of months ago, I would have said no way. ;-) But now, we've learned how to disagree with each other. That we had to learn though....well, that should be innate, dern us both.

What's most troubling is that most likely, MOST of us probably AGREE on most things. At least on principles. That we begin by seeing the differences is where most of the issues are.
  • Andrew iamthem... 2011/07/20 11:22:24
    +1
    You are right, and if we are going to solve our problems, we're gonna have to learn first to listen to each other, and then work out the kinks. If you don't start by listening, the game is over! I've been guilty, but I am learning!
  • iamthem... Andrew 2011/07/20 19:12:03
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    As am I.

And well said.
  • NPC 2011/07/19 23:41:52
    NPC
    +1
    FanOreilly is reasonable and always tells it like it is
  • Dawn NPC 2011/07/20 10:13:30
    Dawn
    but the question was someone who has an opposing point of view

2014/10/31 15:14:03