What good will Obamacare do if 83% of the Dr's quit?

DJL 2012/07/05 06:36:27

KEY FINDINGS

• 90% say the medical system is on the WRONG TRACK
  • 83% say they are thinking about QUITTING
  • 61% say the system challenges their ETHICS
  • 85% say the patient-physician relationship is in a TAILSPIN
  • 65% say GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT is most to blame for current problems
  • 72% say individual insurance mandate will NOT result in improved access care
  • 49% say they will STOP accepting Medicaid patients
  • 74% say they will STOP ACCEPTING Medicare patients, or leave Medicare completely
  • 52% say they would rather treat some Medicaid/Medicare patient for FREE
  • 57% give the AMA a FAILING GRADE representing them
  • 1 out of 3 doctors is HESITANT to voice their opinion
  • 2 out of 3 say they are JUST SQUEAKING BY OR IN THE RED financially
  • 95% say private practice is losing out to CORPORATE MEDICINE
  • 80% say DOCTORS/MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS are most likely to help solve things
  • 70% say REDUCING GOVERNMENT would be single best fix

Read More: http://www.redstate.com/lineholder/2012/06/14/is-o...

• DJL Mountai... 2012/07/06 03:04:40
    DJL
    +1
    Obamacare will be the tipping point. It will make it more profitable for Dr's to change careers.
  • airplan... Mountai... 2012/07/13 05:41:01 (edited)
  • Pm 2012/07/05 20:29:07
  • Darkitec Pm 2012/07/06 03:48:19
    Darkitec
    +1
    I only know two Doctors, but like you've said, they tell everyone to consider twice, three times or more before getting into this profession now. Even before Obamacare, the government regulations, insurance regulations, the difficulty of getting paid for services they've rendered makes the profession nothing at all like they were taught in medical school. They spend more time doing C.Y.A. paperwork and other documentation than they do actually serving patients.
  • Pm Darkitec 2012/07/07 22:18:42
    Pm
    +1
    Or deal with BS lawsuits. Maybe if congress addressed the LAWSUIT issue before we wouldn't have Obamacare now because costs would be lower and the libs wouldn't try to pass this TAX off as a way to lower healthcare costs.
  • SJG 2012/07/05 19:58:13
    SJG
    +1
    Is your name Oscar, because this if full of BALONEY!!!
  • Debowman SJG 2012/07/05 21:23:49
    Debowman
    +1
    This year Medicare cost 96. per month, next year medicare will cost 120. per month, in 2014 medicare will cost 247. per month, a little fact Obama isn't talking about.
  • katywon 2012/07/05 19:52:49
    katywon
    +1
    Medicine is a business. If some leave then there will be many waiting to get into the system. I hope that doesn't happen but think about it. Where are those 70% doctors planning on going? Are they going to Manila where a lot of our Doctors come from? Are they moving to the UK or Canada where they have govt systems. Maybe we will be lucky and some of the really bad doctors in existence will actually leave. But no they won't because they are not good they have to scrounge for patients in many ways. It will work out. Maybe we won't like it but it may take some adjustments for everyone.
  • JCD aka... katywon 2012/07/06 10:40:23
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Exactly.
  • Maddog 2012/07/05 18:35:54
    Maddog
    +1
    This could very well happen and would be the death knell for the Democratic party!
    That would be the only silver lining in the dark cloud hanging over the health care system in the U.S.
  • katywon Maddog 2012/07/05 20:45:19
    katywon
    I hope it works out and the Democratic party will be just fine. In this area there are so many foreign doctors already, from Europe,India,Philippines,Persia, Israel,UK, Mexico and Central America. These are not American born or necessarily trained. They usually are basic doctors in their own countries and some of them come here to improve their skills or get specialties. And they usually stay. I admit I have some concerns about myself because I have
    medicare and a private plan so do ok now. But I have read as much as I can of the distillations of the act. It doesn't look good for seniors in what they may lose eventually.
  • Debowman katywon 2012/07/05 21:37:17
    Debowman
    +2
  • katywon Debowman 2012/07/05 21:55:12
    katywon
    This is the part I worry about a little since because of my age in the long run it won't make a personal difference. But I did read the breakdown and it does say that those with medicare and private insurance will eventually lose their private insurance.
  • Eric katywon 2012/07/05 22:47:02
    Eric
    +1
    I am about to go on Medicare and I hate the thought of losing my current coverage and relying on Medicare (along with any affordable supplemental policies). A lot of the funding for ACA will come from $500 billion in Medicare cuts which is going to make matters worse. Doctors don't have to quit medicine in the US, just quit accepting patients (or rather insurance and medicare) that don't pay reasonable amounts. They can go into private practice, accepting only cash patients.

A lot of people in medicine seem to like it because they will get more money and better benefits and not have to worry as much about payments.

In the UK, about 1/3 of the deaths are from the Liverpool Care Pathway, basically euthanasia for the elderly, sometimes against their wishes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/he...
  • JCD aka... Eric 2012/07/06 10:48:00
    JCD aka "biz"
    Ridiculous. The purpose of LCP is to make the last few days of terminally ill patients as peaceful and comfortable as possible. And yes, terminally ill patients eventually die.
  • Eric JCD aka... 2012/07/06 15:10:34
    Eric
    +1
    I have no problem with that. However, there are reports that people were placed on LCP without their knowledge, knowledge of any family member, and rather quickly, without consultation with other doctors.

Doctors do make errors, right. A little diligence and discussion seems appropriate.

Furthermore, when Americans objected to "death panels", the supporters of the ACA ridiculed them. We would save a lot of money on health care if LCP was adopted in the US. I would have no objections to LCP for myself. However, it is extremely disconcerting when proponents of ACA blithely discount the LCP part of making ACA affordable. They should be open and honest about the issue.
  • JCD aka... Debowman 2012/07/06 10:41:33
    JCD aka "biz"
    What's your source?
  • Patriot Unit 2012/07/05 18:28:00
    Patriot Unit
    Can you spell Rationing, really intense Rationing. All for a system that will never provide the same level of care for everybody. Those who have the power and money to get treated. Will have their private doctors. Those who don't will be rationed, and will be penalized by unfair taxation just so the political elite can keep their power and increase it without check by those who should be checking the power grab of the Democrats. And the lackluster politics of the Republicans that have no backbone, and would not know how to us it if they did.
  • TheBadOne 2012/07/05 18:22:11
    TheBadOne
    A Conservative PAC Finds that 83% of their respondents are against Obamacare? Get outta here...
  • The Duke 2012/07/05 18:21:13
    The Duke
    +2
    As a retired medical professional (nurse) I agree completely. Makes me wonder just how much the shills were paid who supposedly supported the fiasco of 0bamacare during the campaign phase.
  • boneman1 2012/07/05 18:15:56
    boneman1
    +3
    There are plenty of problems with our health care system, but none of them are as dangerous to U.S. health care as Obamacare.
  • jgh57 2012/07/05 18:08:45
    jgh57
    Another Far Right Scare Tactic. The doctors still will be making more than they could make doing anything else. They are not going to quit. I've been in health care for 26 years. I have not heard a single doctor talk about quitting over the Affordable Healthcare Act. I work for a large hospital system. There are high hopes that this will help stop the millions our hospital is giving away in "Charity Care" each year.
  • Kim 2012/07/05 17:28:39
    Kim
    +2
    I am sure that somewhere tucked away in small print is a statute that will forbid any dr from quitting or they will be put to death or something similar.....
    This whole thing is destined to explode in Americans faces.....it won't work and the prices will be so high you can't get a procedure done...
    I am so glad my beloved mother died before Obamacare could harm her....She had stage 4 breast cancer and made her own choice not to continue treatment in her last year...but Obamacare would have put her in front of the "death panel" a long time ago and she would likely have never gotten treatment and we would have lost her 5 years earlier than we did. She was only 68...too young to die....
  • sbtbill 2012/07/05 17:04:34
    sbtbill
    +1
    Private practice like the family farm is a dinosaur.
  • Ozzyboy sbtbill 2012/07/05 21:44:16
    Ozzyboy
    We have plenty of family farms in spite of this administration's attempts to put them out of business in favor or big pharms. The only dinosaur is you and your liberal thinking.
  • sbtbill 2012/07/05 17:03:57
    sbtbill
    +1
    We need to cut the cost of becoming a doctor and increase the number of students allowed into medical school. The government should double the number of seats available.
  • boneman1 sbtbill 2012/07/05 18:14:05
    boneman1
    +3
    That's the problem with our education system right now. We've dumbed it down and lowered standards to keep kids from being held back instead of demanding excellence and requiring them to master the material required to move forward. I don't want somebody performing surgery on me that couldn't make the grades to get into medical school or that got in because the government decided that was the best way to get more doctors. If you want more doctors you have to provide the incentive for the brightest to want to be in the profession. Obamacare does just the opposite. It reduces payment to physicians treating medicare patients by 27%. That's not 27% of what a doctor normally charges either. It's 27% from the reduced rate that Medicare currently pays which is usually around 60% of the normal charge for a procedure.
  • sbtbill boneman1 2012/07/05 19:52:36
    sbtbill
    I'd say the reason the kids are dumbed down is No child left behind. Plus we've gone from Public higher education to private higher education which has increased costs and reduced quality.

Look around the medical profession we are importing our medical professionals now. We need to train them here.

Being a doctor isn't as profitable as it was. It never will be that profitable again. I'd rather have a doctor who wanted to be in the profession then one who wanted to make money. Back in the 60's about 5% of the economy was in health care, now it is about 20% That's not sustainable. Every time one sector grows like that it collapses. The health care section of the economy is a bubble that is going to burst soon.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/07/05 16:24:37
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    People reading this article may also want to read the following one:
    http://online.wsj.com/article...
    Especially read through the comments, many fron experienced doctors and from people who have lived abroad and experienced government run healthcare. It is chilling.
    Also, ignore anything from a troll named paul lott.
  • UnusualSuspect 2012/07/05 16:07:33
    UnusualSuspect
    +1
    The doctors are quitting anyway...what difference will it make if Obamacare isn't in place?

None.
  • Hawkeye Unusual... 2012/07/05 16:38:13
    Hawkeye
    +2
    Well.. THAT makes sense.. Doctors are quitting anyway so WHY not give them even MORE REASON to..

SHEER genius..

ONE of the things that the Democrats who put Obamacare together REFUSED to do was address TORT reform which is RESPONSIBLE for Doctors leaving the profession in droves and accounts for about half of the unnecessary costs to healthcare.. It's number ONE in the reasons why Healthcare is so expensive..

Obamacare.. TYPICAL of LEFT WING solutions,, merely COMPOUNDS the problems tenfold.. Not ONLY will accessability be reduced while premiums rise but as many as 20 new taxes are buried within those 2100 pages that PELOSI had to PASS before the American People could find out what was IN there..

But then again.. THAT was THEIR intention...
  • Unusual... Hawkeye 2012/07/05 16:41:46
    UnusualSuspect
    +1
    Doctors have been thinking of leaving the profession long before Obama was ever elected...

Where have you been...?
  • Hawkeye Unusual... 2012/07/05 16:56:54
    Hawkeye
    +2
    I already explained WHY in my comment.. I also explained that Obamacare does nothing to address or improve that problem but instead compounds them..

Where are you NOW???
  • boneman1 Unusual... 2012/07/05 20:00:07
    boneman1
    I'm a health care provider and you're right about doctors looking at leaving the profession for quite a while, but never at the numbers we're seeing as a result of Obamacare. Before it was more about having to deal with the insurance bureaucracy. Now with Obamacare that bureaucracy will be exponentially worse and the payment to providers that treat Medicare patients will be reduced by over 25%. Not only that it will add an estimated 30 million new Medicaid patients when there is already a shortage of doctors that will see those patients.
  • Sam DePecan 2012/07/05 16:07:09
    Sam DePecan
    +1
    I said this a long time ago; that EVENTUALLY he would have to face the AMA; American Medical Association . . . Well, here it is.
  • Texas Johnny 2012/07/05 16:00:23
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    This will mean a lowered standard of care and it will be rationed on top of it!!!
    This law cannot work in this nation we are too large a population for it to work. It does not work in the U.K. with 60 million people, it won't here.
  • mich52 2012/07/05 15:37:37 (edited)
  • Hawkeye mich52 2012/07/05 16:40:14
    Hawkeye
    +1
    That's IT??

That's ALL you got??

ROFLMAO..
  • mich52 Hawkeye 2012/07/05 17:19:50
  • Hawkeye mich52 2012/07/05 17:28:09
    Hawkeye
    It's ALL you got..

2014/08/20 14:41:40