What gives Christians the right to disregard certain religious practices, if they are truly following Jesus Christ? Why disregard being Kosher, but maintain Homophobia?

Moose 2009/03/01 08:45:34
BACON!

• Helmholtz 2009/04/16 16:51:33
    Helmholtz
    It's probably been said, but the New Testament deals with both of these issues -- and the way it deals with them is (1) it doesn't really matter what you eat and (2) homosexuality is still bad news. These are both explicitly said in the epistles and in the the book of the Acts of the Apostles.

If we define Christianity as following only what Jesus himself said, then we should notice that Jesus himself talks about it not being what goes into a person through his mouth (in the context of talking about eating food is when he said this) that matters, but what comes out of his mouth b/c what comes out of his mouth comes from his heart. Loosely, I can see how that can mean Kosher isn't necessary, especially in the context of what Paul and Peter and etc. go on to say in the N.T. Also, since Jesus never really backed down from teaching things that went way out of mainstream thought (so crazy and offensive that people wanted to kill him a couple times for saying what he said), it seems reasonable to think that if he did have a problem with the status of homosexuality within the faith, that he would have said something and not crapped out, but the Bible gives no account of this happening directly.

That's my answer and it's all premised on the Bible, whatever that means, being true and r...

That's my answer and it's all premised on the Bible, whatever that means, being true and relevant and all that. If a Christian uses just the Bible to define his/her faith, then it seems like this would suffice to show why it would be consistent and make sense that a Christian would not eat Kosherly (made up word -- I know) and still condemn homosexuality.
  • S 2009/03/11 18:46:43 (edited)
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2009/03/06 15:32:17
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Kind of mixed up on the religions there. Kosher is a jewish thing. Homophobia is a word used by homosexuals to bash anyone who opposes their ill agenda, religious or not. People are NOT afraid of homosexuals, they are afraid to get AIDS from them.
  • Moose Torchma... 2009/03/07 00:02:02
    Moose
    Is kosher not in the Old Testament?
  • PootiesMom...Holy is the Ki... 2009/03/06 05:34:38
    PootiesMom...Holy is the King of Kings
    I dunno Im not Jewish, but I do live by the Commandments. and I believe in what the bible teaches me.
  • Mejink 2009/03/06 01:53:58
    BACON!
    Mejink
    Christianity isn't about spirituality... at least very often. It's more of a title, I believe. People wear it like badges. It's more political. And they pick and choose because if people truly wanted to live like true Christians, our nation would be very different.
  • Arky in Y'shua 2009/03/05 06:04:05 (edited)
    Arky in Y'shua
    +3
    Religious Practice is a Construct on Mankind, meant to keep God at a safe distance. A Personal Relationship with the Creator is what the Heavenly Father has always desired from us. He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God ? -- Micah 6:8

Rabbi Y'shua fulfilled the Law of Moses, and has conferred his righteousness upon those who believe on Him. The only Law we are now bound to is found in two Commandments we refer to as the Royal Law .. .. .. And He said to him, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." -- Matthew 22:37-40

Regarding the Rules of Kosher , "I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object coming down like a great sheet lowered by four corners from the sky; and it came right down to me, and when I had fixed my gaze on it and was observing it I saw the four-footed animals of the earth and the wild beasts and the crawling creatures and the birds of the air. I also heard a voice saying to me, 'Get up, Pete...'''''

"""'

'

Religious Practice is a Construct on Mankind, meant to keep God at a safe distance. A Personal Relationship with the Creator is what the Heavenly Father has always desired from us. He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? -- Micah 6:8

Regarding the Rules of Kosher, "I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object coming down like a great sheet lowered by four corners from the sky; and it came right down to me, and when I had fixed my gaze on it and was observing it I saw the four-footed animals of the earth and the wild beasts and the crawling creatures and the birds of the air. I also heard a voice saying to me, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' But I said, 'By no means, Lord, for nothing unholy or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' But a voice from heaven answered a second time, 'What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.' -- Acts 11:5-9

Three Primary attributes of the Manifestation of Jehovah God, in Whose Image we are created, are Body, Mind, and Spirit. His Spiritual attributes are Self-Awareness, Emotion, and Self-Will. The most important thing for Us to remember, is that He is absolutely Unchanging .. .. .. Solid as a Rock .. .. .. Our Primary Security in knowing Him. As creator of our persond and all we can know, He is Sovereign Lord over us all.

HE IS THE SAME FROM ETERNITY PAST, TO THE PRESENT, TO ETERNITY FUTURE. "When someone says, "That was then, and this is now," that may well refer to Human Attitudes, but certainly not to God's Attitude. What He determined and communicated as Approved of/Allowed and Disapproved of/Forbidden ten or twenty thousand years ago, is Approved of/Allowed and Disapproved of/Forbidden to this day, unchanged.

The DNA of Genetic Structure is Jehovah God's Pride in Creation, and more specifically, in Humanity. He created it expressly for the purpose of procreation, and for that reason made us distinctly male and female. When that Genetic Material is passed as intended, and yet does not accomplish fertilization, it is no problem. But, when the importance of its purpose is so disrespected as to be willfully deposited in the waste tract of another, whether male of female, His Emotion is excited .. .. .. He is outraged .. .. .. and rightfully so. He calls it an abominable act.

Regarding what you call Homophobia, I would submit, rather, that those who cling to that term are Heterophobic, as they pit their desire and will against the One who Created them. One may not know when nor where, nor have any understanding of why .. .. .. but they decided their propensity, and are responsible to God for their Decision. If they honestly believe they have no power over the Desire, they may be assured they continue to have power over their choice of Behavior.

For those who are truly interested in an Honest Answer to the Question, I hope you find tthis an adequate answer. I know that this explantion will not satisfy most of those who read it, because I know it is meant as an entrapment .. .. .. and so be it.
  • A 2009/03/02 17:29:24
    BACON!
    A
    +2
    Christians believe that with the crucifixion of Jesus, all need for sacrifice and the other laws laid down in the old testament are moot. New day and all that. Of course, they don't mind trying to force their 10 commandments into government buildings and all things pleasurable are still sins, but hey, nobody said they have to be consistent.
  • Arky in... A 2009/03/05 18:53:37 (edited)
    Arky in Y'shua
    +2
    I don't think anybody is trying to force their 10 commandments into government buildings. After all, the US Supreme Court has a bas relief of Moses and the Ten Commandments above their balustrade, and the Congress opens every session with prayer. And besides, they are the Ten Commandments given to the Israelites by Jehovah God .. .. .. Y'shua haMessiach benJehovah came many years later and establish Christianity.

All things pleasurable are not sins, just the inappropriate, un-natural, and licentious indulgence in things pleasurable.

So, what's wrong with the Ten commandments, anyway?
  • A Arky in... 2009/03/05 19:08:21
    A
    There have been court battles over whether the 10 commandments can be posted in government buildings in several states, including Texas and Kentucky.

What's wrong with them is that they represent religious philosophy and the government is to remain neutral with respect to the establishment of religion. If they post the 10 commandments, they would also have to post the beliefs of Buddhism, Paganism, Santeria, Islam and every other religion represented in the U.S.

Oh wait...no they shouldn't...because there's no god and mythology has no place in our government.
  • Arky in... A 2009/03/05 20:50:17 (edited)
    Arky in Y'shua
    +1
    So, why don't you, personally, go to Washington, D.C. and begin the demolition of the U.S. Supreme Court Building? That would be the right thing to do, in your apparent way of thinking.

But wait! The Principles embodied in the last six of the Commandments are actually Universal to all Moral Teachings, aren't they? Or, is Morality a myth?
  • A Arky in... 2009/03/06 15:46:53
    A
    And why don't you accept that not everyone in this country is a Christian and that WE also have rights? Your first statement is utterly ridiculous (no surprise there).
  • Arky in... A 2009/03/06 16:11:05
    Arky in Y'shua
    OH, I do accept that not everyone in this country is a Christian and that YOU also have rights. I do not accept that my rights should be done away with, just because you do not believe as I do. That attitude, that Christians should not be allowed to speak out, is no different from the Islamist Terrorist attitude that Infidels must be conquered or killed.
  • Rusty Shackelford 2009/03/02 17:13:52
    The Church allows it, so I follow them
    Rusty Shackelford
    Cherrypicking what suits the need for the times. Whatever it takes to keep the Church going.
  • BobbleHead 2009/03/02 07:29:29
    BACON!
    BobbleHead
    Considering homosexuality a sin is not homophobia. Being afraid of homosexuals is homophobia.

God made pork tasty for a reason! Plus he said we can eat meat and nothing he made is unclean. That whole "don't eat pork" was created to establish boundaries for the Israelites society.
  • ro 2009/03/02 07:20:50
    BACON!
    ro
    Not getting the whole Kosher, homophobia relationship when it comes to being Christian but I do think JBleezz rocks on his answer....That's pretty damn funny
  • tierney 2009/03/02 05:46:22
    tierney
    +1
    Jesus gives me that right. Not just because he died to save me from my (actual) sins but to do away with some of the Law as pertained to the Jews as they were needed to distinguish themselves from the gentiles.
  • CC 2009/03/02 05:13:50
    CC
    +1
    I could be wrong but I believe that the regulations regaurding Kosher foods is from the Old Testament...the old covenant...We have a new convenant through Jesus Christ and there is this scripture...Acts 11:1-10
    1 Now the apostles and brethren who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Peter came up to Jerusalem, those of the circumcision contended with him, 3 saying, “You went in to uncircumcised men and ate with them!”
    4 But Peter explained it to them in order from the beginning, saying: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object descending like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came to me. 6 When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’ 8 But I said, ‘Not so, Lord! For nothing common or unclean has at any time entered my mouth.’ 9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, ‘What God has cleansed you must not call common.’ 10 Now this was done three times, and all were drawn up again into heaven.
  • SeaSparkzz 2009/03/02 03:13:03
    SeaSparkzz
    +2
    Some people get so self righteous in their beliefs that they just think that everyone else is wrong. And they think it is their job to change everyone's beliefs.
    It happens to people of all religions and beliefs.
  • michellenicole(theveganvixen) 2009/03/02 02:55:16
    michellenicole(theveganvixen)
    +2
    who knows. who cares? LOL
    (sorry, in a weird mood lol) cares lol weird mood lol
  • scotty 2009/03/02 02:31:45 (edited)
    scotty
    +1
    this has always bothered me. i just responded to a sodahead that said that gays shouldn't be clergy because they are sinners. OMG! aren't we all? so, adultery (which includes divorce / remarriage) is mentioned 100 times more often than homosexuality. and so is bacon. and cheeseburgers. so why let bacon cheeseburger eating remarried divorcees be clergy when gays cannot? FML.
  • CC scotty 2009/03/02 05:40:35
    CC
    +2
    Scott...just a thought....we all are sinners but Clergy are to be examples to their flock and should not be living in habitual sin. How can someone who is living in a lifestyle that is not approved by God be a teacher of God's whole word. I would imagine that they would be unwilling to teach their flock the consequences of the sin of homosexuality. No clergyman should be involved in habitual adultery, theft, lies or any other sin either. The bacon cheeseburger thing doesn't apply because the Kosher laws are Old Testament and we are under the New Convenant. As far as the comment about remarried divorcees being clergy..it wouldn't be the best example but if they have repented of the sin of divorce then they would be ok...just as if the gays repent of their sin they could be in the clergy. Here are a few scriptures, these are reguarding Deacons..but Deacons are in a lower office than Teachers(Clergy).so how much more should teachers or clergy behave..
    1 Tim 3:8 "Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money,"....1 Tim 3:10"But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless." ...1 Tim 3:12" Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well."
    James 3:1 "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment." Hope this helps.
  • scotty CC 2009/03/02 20:13:26
    scotty
    +1
    i don't need your preaching. i want you to explain why some sins are better than others? why do you get to pick which sins are ok and which aren't? why can't you let god do his job as judge? why do you get to choose who is worthy to be called to spread the word and who isn't?
  • CC scotty 2009/03/03 04:27:45
    CC
    +2
    I wasn't preaching just trying to share the Word with you to help you understand where that other person was coming from ...if you choose not to receive it ...then that's fine...stay mad...I did not choose which sins are ok, if you even bother to read what I wrote(I said No clergyman should be involved in habitual adultery, theft, lies or Any Other Sin Either)..not judging anyone ,you or whoever is fine to live their lives however they want....but the ministry is not for just anyone the scripture is clear on that..
  • scotty CC 2009/03/03 14:30:35
    scotty
    i'm not mad, just a bit testy because 1) you're dodging the question, 2) you're assuming a lot about me, i bet you've not checked my profile.
  • CC scotty 2009/03/03 14:41:50
    CC
    +2
    How am I dodging the question...I told you that any one who stands in the pulpit should not be living a lifestyle of habitual sin.....anyone ,any habitual sin......I'm glad your not mad, I get testy about the things I believe in also! I don't think I assumed anything about you....enlighten me...no I haven't checked your profile..no reason to..as I said before I was just trying to give you a perspective of why someone might say they didn't think Gays should be clergy according to what the Word says....that's all!
  • Gwama- Patriot † In God We... 2009/03/02 01:15:44
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    I am a Christian and I do not descriminate against my Gay family and Freinds !!! Thank you very much !!
  • Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 03:22:04
    Moose
    Would you let them marry?
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 03:31:20
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman..that is how God wants it...but if they are in a Domestic partnership and they are in a truly commited and loving relationship then they should have all same rights as far as health care, legal aspects of a relationship etc..in our company we recognize domstic partners and we give them the same rights as any other couple !!!

But now !! I don't want the law changed regarding marriage..and please don't beat me up for my beliefs !! that is how I was brought up !!!
  • Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 03:38:19
    Moose
    +1
    Well if you're for all the same rights bestowed upon a married couple, why not just simply allow them to call it marriage? What is the value of a word?
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 03:45:13
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    except Marriage..that is Gods law..we can't change Gods law..It's in the Bible ..look it up..(:)
  • Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 03:56:12
    Moose
    +3
    Atheists can be legally married, Pagans can be legally married, Satanists can be legally married, people of all different beliefs (and non-beliefs) can call themselves married. Now after all these people have been legally married for years, it is God's law now? I don't see marriages between all these other beliefs being dissolved as a result of this...
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 04:10:07
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +1
    MAN AND WOMAN IS THEY KEY..not the other religions..

Even Obama agrees..(:)

• Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 04:14:32
    Moose
    +2
    I'm not going to agree just because that is what Obama says, I have a mind of my own... With that being said, how is it possible for marriage to be God's law, when a non-believer can be married?
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 04:32:44
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    That's Strange that is the only thing I do agree with The President !!
  • Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 04:34:39
    Moose
    +1
    I'm sure there is more you agree about, it's just not newsworthy, but other than that, you're avoiding the question =)
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 04:37:04
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +1
    I did honey..I just said..if those others Pagans , Devil worshippers..are man and women then the marriage is legal why would it be disolved..God did'nt say that they coud'nt be married.,,
  • Moose Gwama- ... 2009/03/02 04:44:13
    Moose
    +2
    God didn't explicitly say gays couldn't either, it's an abomination, as is not believing in God. So how is one abomination any worse than another?
  • Gwama- ... Moose 2009/03/02 04:50:05
    Gwama- Patriot  † In God We Trust †
    +2
    HOney..I am not the sharpest tool in the Shed and I do not propose to have the answers to everhting in the world..I can only tell you my beliefs..because that is the way I was brougt up..to believe in the Lord and in the Bible..God Bless..(:)
  • Whitese7en 2009/03/02 00:13:58
    Whitese7en
    +3
    First off, thank you for the none of the above choice.

Secondly, those are representative of two different covenants.

The law concerning kosher foods was not given to NT Christians, it was given specifically to Jews in the OT. The food laws of the OT, were nullified in the NT.

Act 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
    Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
    Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    Act 10:15 And the voice [spake] unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, [that] call not thou common.

Homosexuality however was not only condemned in the OT but in the NT as well.

Ephesians 5 speaks to the issues of sexual lifestyle, as does
    Romans 1, Galatians 5, Colossians 3 and 1 Corinthians 6. These passages speak of certain moral absolutes. Central is the teaching that a continued life-style of sexual misconduct(which includes homosexuality) excludes a person from the kingdom of
    God period.

2014/09/03 02:27:06