What Ever Happened To Freedom of Speech????

snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques 2010/10/28 20:16:35
Man fired for Bush sweatshirt at Obama rally

Even though son in Navy serving on aircraft carrier named for 41st president

Posted: October 25, 2010
9:30 pm Eastern

USS George H.W. Bush

Wearing a Bush sweatshirt and cap has gotten a man fired from his work building a stage for an Obama rally.

But the Bush on the clothing worn by Duane Hammond had nothing to
do with politics; it honors USS George H.W. Bush, the 10th and final
Nimitz-class supercarrier in the U.S. Navy, and those, including
Hammond's son, who are serving America on that ship.

According to a report by KTLA-TV in Los Angeles, the union stagehand was working on the platform of an Obama event in the city, and he was not making any political statement.

But Hammond told the station his union supervisor told him to
take off the sweatshirt or turn it inside, or he would be sent home.

He refused and was told he was fired.

Hammond explained his son has been in the service of his country for three years already.

"He's serving proudly. I'm wearing his flag so to speak."

USS George H.W. Bush cap (KTLA image)

"Because it said Bush I was told to go home and either turn my
sweatshirt inside out," said Hammond. "But first they made me take off
my hat."

At Redstate.com,
a forum page participant identified as dambama said, "The left is
showing everyday that it will not tolerate free speech from its own
members either. We always knew they work overtime to deny conservatives
freedom of speech. Now we see them going after their own, like freaking
cannibals!"

A second forum participant suggested unions may be part of the problem, not the solution.

"From 1999 to 2009, right-to-work states have added 1.5 million private sector jobs for
a 3.7 percent increase," he wrote. "States which are not right-to-work
lost 1.8 million jobs over the same decade, for a decline of 2.3
percent."

KTLA's report from online:

James Wright, a union official with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
Union Local 33, says the case is under investigation, but if Hammond
was sent home for wearing the Bush clothing, he'll still be paid.

The carrier, built by Northrop Grumman Newport News, was
assembled from 2001-2009 at a cost of $6.2 billion and docks at Naval
Station Norfolk. Va.

"If only unions were as passionate about quality education as they are about politics," said a commentary at Heritage.org.

• Cookielane 2010/10/29 19:32:52
    Cookielane
    sounds like a load of crap.
  • morris44 2010/10/29 19:06:47
    morris44
    +2
    Proof that management has too much power over people.
    Thanks.
  • ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    Yes, and nobody is seeing what is happening either!

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/p...
  • oldlady 2010/10/29 17:51:57
    oldlady
    I heard that and it is really sick. Dirt balls.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2010/10/29 17:01:25
  • Fr Kelsey Graham 2010/10/29 15:04:59
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +1
    Free speech still exists- but in the work place the employer has a right to set dress codes for the people they are paying. Did you know that federal employees cannt ot openly and actively participate in the campaigning? I would not allow my employees to wear any shirt or cap that had the logo of any company on it other than my company. I also never allowed any of my employees to wear anything political of military at work. Welcome to a free country. Yes this person can wear his hat and shirt but if I am paying him he must abide by the dress code of my company and if I run a business I can restrict what a person can or cannot wear to receive service from me in my place of business- guess you never get out enough to see those "No shirt, no shoes" signs. Or "Coat and tie required" or "No colors" signs? freedom is not one way. What is allowed in public by our freedoms may be restricted by the private sector in conducting business. Doubt you have ever seen a UPS person with any political or military attire delivering packages- have you?
  • whitewu... Fr Kels... 2010/10/29 17:02:00
  • Pegasis 2010/10/29 15:01:17
    Pegasis
    +1
    I have arrived at this blog late--today is Friday 10/29/10, and today there is news that an Ohio town which had originally granted a permit to celebrate the US Constitution on Constitution Day has rescinded that permit--on the grounds that it is "too political!"

Go figure!
  • queeniebee20 2010/10/29 11:55:03
    queeniebee20
    I agree!
  • Johnathan Winters 2010/10/29 06:23:05
    Johnathan Winters
    Freedom of speech is currently on the endangered species list. It faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the immediate future. Please donate to the Freedom Wildlife Fund and help us save this magnificent creature. For every dollar you send in, seventy-five cents of that dollar will be sent to help protect it from foreign enemies, overpowered politicians, and corrupt judges. (The preceding was an unpaid advertisement. Said advertisement may not represent the views or opinions of the owner{s} of this website or their affiliates.)
  • nightlight 2010/10/29 06:15:38
    nightlight
    +1
    It's hard to say whether this is more amazing or more frightening.
    And this is happening in AMERICA!!!??????
  • besumbody2010 2010/10/29 05:49:09
    besumbody2010
    +4
    only if you vote democrat do you get freedom of speech
  • whitewu... besumbo... 2010/10/29 17:03:02
  • Heffeweizen 2010/10/29 05:34:20
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    Freedom of speech exists only if it benefits the left. If anyone on the right or even center offers an opinion, the left immediately cries hatred, intolerance or racism. It's getting absolutely ridiculous!
  • KC 2010/10/29 04:46:20
    KC
    +1
    It appears to have disappeared and replaced with PC... along with when did we start having to worry about our belief in God being demonized. When now we have to worry about our kids being taught that it is no longer I pledge allegiance to the flag... now it is I pledge allegiance to the earth. Just like when did we think that the declaration of independence would be quoted leaving out our creator. BO - a government based on the simple proposition that all men are created equal -- that we're endowed with certain inalienable rights." When did we ever think that the President of the United States would come against the people... if you do not believe in his ideology you are a enemy... if you want your government to understand that ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL... but if you voice that you are and enemy, you are unAmerican.

PC has got to go...
    ideology enemy government understand illegal illegal voice enemy unamerican pc
  • Arya 2010/10/29 04:22:57 (edited)
  • STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL 2010/10/29 03:02:14
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +3
    "I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend to your death my right to silence it." - Unknown Union Supervisor
  • NidStyles 2010/10/29 02:51:58
    NidStyles
    +2
    Has he sued yet?
  • Samuel 2010/10/29 02:34:38
    Samuel
    +4
    Brought to you by the Democrats and liberals and Progressive Liberals and thanks to king for the day Obama!
  • tyler 2010/10/29 02:28:30
    tyler
    +2
    Tragic what is happening to America hopefully it will change when the new officials are sworn in.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2010/10/29 02:07:32
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    It shows how communistic the leftwing nuts are.
  • danjac1263 2010/10/29 02:04:58
    danjac1263
    +4
    juan williams found out all about freedom of speach
  • Samuel danjac1263 2010/10/29 02:35:35
    Samuel
    +1
    Juan was a good man. He didn't deserve to be fired. He is actually a liberal i would have a beer with.
  • danjac1263 Samuel 2010/10/29 03:22:22
    danjac1263
    +2
    i dont like juan williams very much at all, but he was fired for not towwing the libtard line in 100% lockstep form. i guess the democrat party doesnt want their blacks thinking for themselves. as long as juan was a good house negro he would be accepted, but once he got uppity he had to go.
  • Samuel danjac1263 2010/10/29 04:36:16
    Samuel
    i do understand. However lets be honest- about one thing we are all human and make mistakes., If you feel the need to hurt this man...then fine...do it...i don't care..he is still a human being as you and i are..i make mistakes like you do to. if you chose to hurt him because he is a liberal and there is no factual reasoning behind that is your choice...however you will have to live with it..seeing how you don't personally don't know him.
    I even as a consertative appreciate him as a human being. If you chose to put him down because of his color then that shows truelly how racist you really are. He has his constitutional rights like anyone else. The Democrats need to remember this.
  • danjac1263 Samuel 2010/10/29 16:08:33
    danjac1263
    +1
    perhaps their is some confusion. i dont like juan williams much, but it was wrong that he was tossed aside for just one time not talking the dem party line.
  • No More Commies 2010/10/29 01:58:13
    No More Commies
    +4
    Well Stalin, Hitler, Castro, Napoleon and Santa Ana use to fire anyone that opposed their agenda. Or was that firing squad? Muslims just behead them Wait till Obama has us under full Socialist control. No one will dare oppose the anointed one.
    agenda firing squad muslims behead wait obama socialist oppose anointed
  • Samuel No More... 2010/10/29 02:36:34
    Samuel
    +1
    I will hay Obama i am throwing rotten tomotoes on your poster...what can't catch up? Well see what happens when you smoke!
  • annie No More... 2010/10/29 02:43:27
    annie
    +1
    give him time he will change our country to a real commist , I think that is what he want to do, he think no one can see through him!!!
  • whitewu... No More... 2010/10/29 17:05:39
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2010/10/29 01:39:54
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    That is so unfair!
  • RightMind 2010/10/29 01:07:29
    RightMind
    +2
    Oh yeah and I love the part where the "union" acted like Americans and didn't obey the imam obabbles regime and simply allowed the man to be proud of his son in wearing the cap and sweat shirt, Oh wait they DID OBEY the imam obabbles regime and flushed this Americans' rights down the obama! Oh yeah theres your union for ya! Well obabbles and george soros owns their asses anyway!
  • Angel 2010/10/29 01:00:36
    Angel
    +4
    that is nuts to treat someone this way for having the name of a boat that his son is aboard... with this party we will lose our freedoms if they aren't voted out
  • Heffewe... Angel 2010/10/29 05:36:02
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    With the knowledge the left has of the military, they probably had no clue it was the name of a ship.
  • GINGERBREAD 2010/10/29 00:57:32
    GINGERBREAD
    Don't you know that freedom is speech is reserved only for the "PROGRESSIVE" liberals? Now do you believe me when I say that your rights are being taken away from you, or do need more proof?
  • Samuel GINGERB... 2010/10/29 02:39:07 (edited)
    Samuel
    Gingerbread...these are rights in The constitition are for everyone.
  • GINGERB... Samuel 2010/10/29 12:49:09
    GINGERBREAD
    You believe that and I believe that, but the "PRO-LIBS" sure as hell don't believe it. How many conservative "slip of the tongues", have they demanded their resignation, while the "PRO-LIBs" can say anything they damned please, and nothing is ever said?
  • ThomasSnouffer 2010/10/28 23:59:58
    ThomasSnouffer
    +2
    Unconscionable! Free speech--OR display--that must meet with a "general consensus" is neither speech NOR free. A parrot does NOT speak; it PARROTS! It does not speak, it REPEATS! It doesn't think, it MIMICS! This is an EXCELLENT example of what we may NOT allow this country to BECOME! The offensiveness of this action should supercede ANY and ALL political "party" affiliations. What's wrong for the goose is wrong for the gander! Tuesday, November 2, 2010, FIRE THE ELITIST BASTARDS!
  • snell/G... ThomasS... 2010/10/29 00:45:58 (edited)
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +3
    boy! ur all fired up....just like the rest of us SHOULD be! boy ur fired rest damit
  • ThomasS... snell/G... 2010/10/29 00:57:43
    ThomasSnouffer
    +1
    Hope to Hell MOST of us are SMART ENOUGH to GET that wave. I have already voted (absentee). Please help give us all a "hand" next Tuesday and DIY! Thanks in advance!

2014/11/01 07:02:55