What emotion is the opposite of love?

jackrorabbit 2007/08/22 18:48:14

• Sir Jim 2007/08/22 21:11:31
    Apathy
    Sir Jim
    +9
    Opposite of Love

The opposite of love is not hate,
    For hate means passion remains.
    With hate, a chance remains
    That love’s embers can flare again.

I once loved you completely.
    I worried when you were gone,
    Fretted when no word came.
    Joy exploded when you smiled.

As time passed, and you withdrew,
    My heart felt bruised and torn.
    Each time you ignored me,
    I searched for my failings, faults.

Finally after years of the dance
    Where you advanced, retreated,
    I discovered I didn’t care,
    At least as much as before.

Where once you sat close
    To the center of my heart,
    You moved out to the edge.
    Soon you’ll be outside, gone.

Bit by bit, the love dies
    When not fed or watered,
    Like the flowers ignored
    In the thirsty, parched yard.

• Cassie Casimir 2013/01/17 03:21:50
    Cassie Casimir
    the opposite of love is not hate. it's indifference.
  • nick.knell 2012/11/26 07:09:18
    nick.knell
    Besides contemplating this question many times before, I had this conversation on a date once- needless to say there was no second date! :D

My answer was initially hate, she said indifference (apathy). I said I understood what she meant but that the context of the question asked for the opposite emotion of love, which is the same question being asked here. I agree the opposite of an emotion is apathy but logically it has to be maintained that the opposite of the emotion called love is still hate. Here's my reasoning- If the opposite of hate was apathy and the opposite of love was apathy then the opposite of apathy must be love-hate, otherwise love or hate respectively separately- but this is exactly where context has to come in. The question frames the scope/ context and the question is about the emotion of love and since they (love and hate) can be separated as two types of emotions that are juxtaposed this would I think be proof enough that hate is the answer. However because of context I actually think they are both right so I answered "all of the above". Otherwise we are perhaps playing childish games with ourselves about right and wrong and life shows time and again when we dig deeper nothing's ever quite that simple, as much as we might want it to be.

Other thoughts I...

Other thoughts I will add: what do love and hate measure for that matter? It's been said they are a continuum of the same thing- what is this "thing" we are talking about then? Consciousness or perhaps something un-measureable/ un-knwown or un-knowable in the physical context? I think that words (language) point to meaning but words themselves do not provide us an entire explanation of the meaning of a thing in terms of all possible ways of explaining a thing because humans are capable of knowing in 3 main ways- thought, emotion and visceral experience. e.g. one can't smell love from a word descriptor, but we can smell in the experience of love- ie the love of flowers because of the experience associated with their pleasant smell.

So, words are ways to refer to things in thought, but not things themselves in an entirety. This is what I understand in philosophy is whats meant by 'intention', which is purported to arise in consciousness, whatever that 'means', or which may ally with a non-physical interface to the physical world and I think words can point to things that are physical or non-physical. Yet because I observe we all at times, want to feel safe, secure and controlled in our existence, only the physical or non-physical works (respectively), whilst others can sit with all that arises and in that case both works for them. I think physical and non-physical are both constructs existing on different levels of one and the same thing ultimately. I don't think that mean's they cancel each other out though. Again they are different aspects of the same thing, what ever this thing called life is or could ever be known to be- enlightened ones may know this(?) It is the design of our universe and all these concepts may be really hard to understand but I think these "other thoughts" I present can be used as sub-proof to show how much context matters in answering difficult questions like these, about words and their meanings.
  • misty.lake3 2012/06/29 15:50:36
    misty.lake3
    I meant to click on apathy. :( Many would say hate can be the opposite of love seeing how many grow to hate something they love. Yet, even if u never loved the person/thing u hate, the reason u hate them/it comes from the love u have about something else. Like someone wrote"God encouraged us to hate sin", well those that "love" God or that wish is good would then hate the opposite. So basically hate comes from love, so I don't think it can be the opposite if it's one of the components. I would think anything that consist of NO emotion like Apathy or Indifference would be the opposite.
  • eclecticpassion 2009/06/09 16:33:16 (edited)
    Hate
    eclecticpassion
    i've read a lot of people's explanations claiming apathy is, and while in some contexts, i believe this to be true, i don't think you can deny that hatred is also- it all depends on the context...i mean someone with a 'laissez-faire' attitude, who 'lives and let lives' without being incensed with others for who they are or what they believe in, is 'apathetic' in a certain sense, as others don't stir their emotions, yet could hardly be considered to be the opposite of loving. i admit that in intense relationships with people, the boundaries between love and hate can be blurred, but is this not comparable with the colours black and white (being opposites) merging to form grey? even though they have the capability to be merged, the opposite of black is still not grey. i enjoyed reading other people's analogies, as metaphors are often a good way of understanding things...personally i would say apathy is the opposite to 'caring' in any form (being emotionally attached/involved to anything - whether it be others or simply circumstances/things that affect one directly)- basically apathy is the absence of all emotional engagement, whereas the opposite of compassionate love (seeking not to harm others) is hatred, which seeks to do the opposite. i think we should also consider that's it's possible t...''''''''''
    i've read a lot of people's explanations claiming apathy is, and while in some contexts, i believe this to be true, i don't think you can deny that hatred is also- it all depends on the context...i mean someone with a 'laissez-faire' attitude, who 'lives and let lives' without being incensed with others for who they are or what they believe in, is 'apathetic' in a certain sense, as others don't stir their emotions, yet could hardly be considered to be the opposite of loving. i admit that in intense relationships with people, the boundaries between love and hate can be blurred, but is this not comparable with the colours black and white (being opposites) merging to form grey? even though they have the capability to be merged, the opposite of black is still not grey. i enjoyed reading other people's analogies, as metaphors are often a good way of understanding things...personally i would say apathy is the opposite to 'caring' in any form (being emotionally attached/involved to anything - whether it be others or simply circumstances/things that affect one directly)- basically apathy is the absence of all emotional engagement, whereas the opposite of compassionate love (seeking not to harm others) is hatred, which seeks to do the opposite. i think we should also consider that's it's possible to merely 'like' something, or be infatuated by it, the difference between passion and compassion, the fact that opposites can sometimes converge to form a paradox, and the fact that the word 'love' alone can stand for compassionate love, passionate/sexual love (lust) and commitment. also, i think that when ' in love', it is normal to feel lust, it's just a case that it's not the only thing you feel. either way, i'm not claiming to be definitely right in this, it was an interesting and difficult question to answer, and i welcome other people's opinions =)
  • mike 2008/12/30 23:48:13
    Hate
    mike
    It must be hate. It wouldn't be Lust because that is just a strong sexual desire or a great eagerness for something. It cant be apathy seeing as apathy is a lack of ANY human emotion whatsoever. Also, if we were to throw indifference into the mix, that would fall in between love and what ever it is that is the opposite of love. you all have really good answers that made me think but I think it must be hate.
  • Wnder 2008/06/16 05:57:41
    Wnder
    Fear is the opposite of love.
    Every action can be traced back to either fear or love, with differing degrees or each of course.
  • Panda 2008/06/04 03:31:03
    Hate
    Panda
    ...I have so much to say on this, I just don't know how to say it all...
  • clarinet5 2008/03/12 03:30:36
    Hate
    clarinet5
    lala
  • SKYTZO 2008/02/23 04:27:28
    Hate
    SKYTZO
    or loathing
  • Jwalden --- Constitution Party 2008/02/23 03:53:20
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    Jealousy.
    Love releases and lets go for the benefit of the 'loved'.
    Jealousy clings and strangles relationship, injuring all in its path.
  • jackror... Jwalden... 2008/02/27 00:20:08
    jackrorabbit
    Interesting answer, and one I did not consider. Personally I think the opposite of a strong emotion is no emotion.
  • Jwalden... jackror... 2008/02/27 12:22:23
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    +1
    that response in itself is a good debate question.

Some would argue 'is there a such thing as having no emotion', or ' is no emotion, merely ignoring or denying our actual emotional feeling' ?
  • jackror... Jwalden... 2008/02/27 13:40:27
    jackrorabbit
    Possibly. Perhaps that should be a poll that you put up.
  • Bunny Gurl ♥ 2007/11/07 14:17:09
    Hate
    Bunny Gurl ♥
    +1
    ...is the opposite of Love. Love comes from God and Hate from satan. ;)
  • jackror... Bunny G... 2007/11/07 14:18:24
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    Good point.
  • Bunny G... jackror... 2007/11/07 14:24:53
    Bunny Gurl ♥
    +1
    Thanks! ;)
  • Jwalden... Bunny G... 2008/02/23 03:57:29
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    good try. but in the Judeo-Christian faith, God commands us to 'hate' sin . Hate is an active decision. Yes 'Love' can also be called an 'active decision'. Both are indeed strong emotions, But we protect loved ones by 'hating' the evil[s] that may fall upon them.
  • stanley 2007/11/04 17:58:33
    Hate
    stanley
    its just the first thing to pop up in your head when someone asks you this question.
  • alw_ays 2007/11/02 18:26:53
    Hate
    alw_ays
    I have a tendency to believe that with love comes a desire, a want, that you want someone, you miss them without them, and that love can happen through unconventional channels. Love happens within your mind despite the person's presence. If you are within reach of someone who you do not love, instead, hate, you wish for their absence. Hate cannot occur without the stimulus: the object of your hate. When they are gone, you feel no hate towards them: you feel nothing for them.

Love is when someone is always with you. Hate is when you wish they weren't.
  • KRS 2007/10/27 15:21:17 (edited)
    Hate
    KRS
    +1
    I believe both Love and Hate are misunderstood terms. But I have no question that the opposite of Love is Hate.
    Love is the decision to accept a thing under any and all circumstances. Hate is the decision to reject a thing under any and all circumstances.
  • jackror... KRS 2007/10/31 13:29:31
    jackrorabbit
    Interesting. However, both are strong emotions, and the opposite of strong is weak or none, thus apathy.
  • KRS jackror... 2007/10/31 15:18:19
    KRS
    +1
    I see the point you make, but disagree.
    Your argument compares the value of the emotions as opposed to the emotions themselves.
  • jackror... KRS 2007/11/02 14:15:47
    jackrorabbit
    Sorry, I forgot to rave your comment, because it was a good one.
  • KRS jackror... 2007/11/02 17:08:10
    KRS
    +1
    Thanks, I realized that I tend to take opposite to mean 'inverse' ,as such a strong emotion would be required to offset another.
  • skittlesej 2007/10/16 14:28:26
    Apathy
    skittlesej
    +1
    Indifference, apathy I guess. (oops, they mean the same thing....)
  • Rani!!!!! Is !!! A !!! DORK... 2007/10/08 14:36:28
    Lust
    Rani!!!!! Is !!! A !!! DORK!!!!
    I don't think hate cuz if they hate you they obviously care 4 you or they'd just go away........
  • jackror... Rani!!!... 2007/10/08 14:43:44
    jackrorabbit
    Apathy is the actual answer, because the opposite of any strong feeling is no feeling. Your reasoning is why I put lust in as an answer. It is real love or just sexual passion.
  • Rani!!!... jackror... 2007/10/08 14:47:36
    Rani!!!!! Is !!! A !!! DORK!!!!
    lol
    i dont care lol
    i'm 2 sleepy >.< 2 give a fuck lol
  • alw_ays jackror... 2007/11/02 18:30:25 (edited)
    alw_ays
    Imagine a spectrum.
    Love_____________No Feeling_____________Hate
    Imagine a light spectrum.
    Red_______Green_______Purple

Red is extremely long wavelength. Purple is extremely short. Green is moderate, medium.

magnetics: Both Poles pull equally as strong. Demagnitization is in between.
    pH: both Acid and Base are equally strong. Neutral is in between.

Two extremes polarize each other. Apathy is in between.
  • jackror... alw_ays 2007/11/05 13:23:41
    jackrorabbit
    Or could it be that love/hate are both long waves, as they are both very strong emotions, and apathy is a short wave with no feelings at all?
    As for the magnetics, both positive and negative poles have power to attract, but the neutral pole has no power at all.

For pH both extremes have the ability to act on another object(to make changes to it), where the neutral(water) has little effect on anything.
  • alw_ays jackror... 2007/11/05 20:00:19 (edited)
    alw_ays
    Ah ha! But what is the opposite of Apathy?

and does apathy have power?
  • jackror... alw_ays 2007/11/06 14:24:19
    jackrorabbit
    Opposite of Apathy is any strong emotion. Apathy does have power, but in a different way. Which would bother you more, your spouse to be angry at you for something bad you did(say cheating on them) or the fact that they didn't even take notice of you when it happened? Apathy's power is that it doesn't react in any way to anything. As long as there is an emotion between people then there is something to work with, but if that person no longer cares in anyway, then there no longer remains anything to work with, because they are always going to be "sure, whatever"(in monotone sighs).
  • alw_ays jackror... 2007/11/06 19:02:26
    alw_ays
    The opposite of Apatha is Strength of Emotion

It is not any specific emotion. This is what I mean.
  • jackror... alw_ays 2007/11/07 14:14:24
    jackrorabbit
    I understood what you meant the first time. I was just giving you something to think about outside of the box.
  • Elizabeth 2007/10/05 02:38:50
    Lust
    Elizabeth
    +1
    My first thought was hate.

Then i realised sometimes love is disguised as hate. So i guess sometimes without hate you wouldn't have love.

So i'm going with lust and apathy because i think they both go hand in hand. Not only that but when a person lusts after someone love isn't involved at all.
  • ♥~Rainbow~♥ 2007/10/02 14:35:04
    ♥~Rainbow~♥
    i dont think that there is an opposite of love...either you do or you dont....i have people i care about but dont love....maybe the question should be...what is the difference between "love" and "in love"
  • jackror... ♥~Rainb... 2007/10/02 14:39:44
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    And what is the name for "not love", it is called apathy(lack of any feeling).
  • ♥~Rainb... jackror... 2007/10/02 22:08:02
    ♥~Rainbow~♥
    +1
    i can have feelings for a person without loving them...i am not sure i get what your trying to get at...i really dont believe that there is an opposite of love
  • jackror... ♥~Rainb... 2007/10/03 13:06:38
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    The way that you can tell that a relationship is really over. It isn't over when people are mad at each other, it is over when they cease to care about anything regarding the other person, or an apathetic view of their relationship.
  • shiela33 jackror... 2007/10/05 04:27:16

2014/11/21 16:35:24