What does the Rebel Flag mean to you?

ME 2010/02/18 21:21:49
Is it heritage? Is it racism? Do you know any black people who proudly display it?

I think it's beyond disrespectful and as a Southerner, I'm quite ashamed of all my neighbors who hang on so tightly to the past (or use that as their excuse when they can't come right out and say I'm racist).

• Jonathan V. 2013/10/26 06:56:35
    Jonathan V.
    To me, the flag represent rebellion from the Union. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't represent slavery, racism, or white supremacy. But it doesn't, at least to me, represent Southern pride/heritage or states' rights.
  • Remy Du... Jonatha... 2013/11/05 16:05:35
    Remy Dufresne
    +1
    Its gonna mean something different for everyone. for me, it means family, freedom, and God. Im not tryin to shove it down your throat, im just saying
  • Jonatha... Remy Du... 2013/11/06 01:22:30
    Jonathan V.
    I understand :)
  • Remy Dufresne 2013/06/14 17:27:28
    Remy Dufresne
    +1
    The constitution of the Confederacy prohibited the importation of slaves.
    Slavery was legal under the British colonies of America from the day in 1621 when the first slave ships pulled into the harbor of Jamestown, VA, until we declared independence in 1776.
    Slavery was legal for 76 years under the US flag from 1789 when the constitution was adopted until 13th Amendment to it was properly ratified on December 6, 1865, 8 months after the end of the war between the States on April 9, 1865.
    During the outbreak of the southern war for independence, General Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate army did not own slaves, but Ulysses S Grant, the commander of the Union troops did.
    Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland and Delaware were all border states but they were also, all part of the Union, ironically enough they also were permitted to own slaves during the time period of the war of Northern Aggression.
    Over 90% of the citizens in the Confederacy did not own slaves. Seven percent of the slave owners owned less than five slaves and only 3% had plantations, which qualifies as anything over six slaves.
    The south sought secession from the Union on the basis of high taxes, high tariffs and a lack of representation in the electoral college NOT SLAVERY!
    The confederate flag is no more of a...
    The confederate flag is no more of an offensive or racist symbol that the Star Spangled Banner or Old Glory. Dixie fought for freedom, liberty, and independence – all of the things our founders stood for when they sought secession from the crown of England in 1776.
  • alexus 2012/07/27 05:01:11
    alexus
    +2
    Well i 've was born Android raised in the country
  • sunflwr 2012/07/13 20:33:14
    sunflwr
    +4
    I have an equal numbers of ancestors who fought for the Confederacy as the Union. Because of this, I wanted to know more about each one's point of view. Along the way I learned about the destruction caused by some Union soldiers that drove some civilians to fight for a cause they didn't necessarily believe in. They wanted to protect their homes and family.
    So, for me at least, seeing the Confederate flag reminds me that history is written by the victors, and the reasons can be forgotten over time. Most things aren't black and white. It's usually the grey area in between.
  • saralyn.buchanan 2012/07/08 05:59:42
    saralyn.buchanan
    +1
    Does noone understand what the flag repsents at all? It is not about hatered or rasiam. It is about a way of life. and the pride the southern people had. Thier faimily and the way children were raised to respect thier elders and thier selves. and to stand up for themselves. I am a proud SOUTHERNER I was born and raised in the south. be proud of who you are and stop finding reasons to HATE EACH OTHER
  • lakesha wright 2012/05/18 20:46:21
    lakesha wright
    +1
    I am a 35 yr old born in jamaica and raised in CT and I was not raised to believe that the Confederate Flag meant anything racist...So then that means everyone that waves their own flag means that they only like there kind....No.....allot times people speak on topics that they know nothing about...I have many trustworthy friends with the Confederate flags on their CHEVY Pick ups and they not racist, of course some people give strange hard look when I get out the truck but it is what it is...Nothing racist here.........I drive around in my car blasting ALABAMA, CONWAY TWITTY, KENNY ROGERS, sure I may get looks but more at the fact that folks are surprised that someone of my age and my background knows about that music, I grew up on a farm, I rode tractors, drove pickup trucks, Im just as country as the next, I grew up on that music and there is nothing wrong with someone being proud of who they are.....So am I racist for waving a Rebel Flag, and my jamaican flag....hmmmmm, no.... I am just proud of who I am....so before you go calling people and their heritage that you no nothing about as being racist do your homework, read up on your history and make sure you know what you are talking about before you comment on a touchy subject as this.....
  • ashlyn lakesha... 2013/06/14 02:56:32
    ashlyn
    +2
    I think that it means that your country. But. Alot of country people are racist so people think that all the people have them are racist
  • 2012/03/29 16:18:41
  • logan 2011/12/16 23:12:43
    logan
    +4
    i love the rebel flag and belive in it i dont think its rasist i have live in the country my whole life and i am pround to be a redneck
    rebel for life
  • Abi morlock 2011/11/01 15:52:10 (edited)
    Abi morlock
    +4
    I was, born in the south and it will nev er change also using or havi ng a rebel flag isnt racism its heritage and whoever thinks it is they can kiss my country ass!!!
  • Dylan Holland 2011/10/06 02:06:27
    Dylan Holland
    +3
    I am a mixed southerner 3 parts white 1 part black and 100% southern. The only parents I have ever know are white . I fly the flag with pride and have it as the headliner in my 77 ford f100 and If this flag offends you .... you need a history lesson!
  • shane 2011/09/29 03:48:36
  • destiny 2011/07/24 21:22:05
    destiny
    +3
    im from georgia. and the flag is not racist. that flag is heritage, tradition, honor, my great great grandfather fought under that flag. the rebel flag taught me to stand up for what i believe. not to give in to what i think is right. if its racist to you then may not be as southern as you think and need a serious history lesson. and possibly a few life lessons as well
  • williams4722 2011/06/17 09:57:38
    williams4722
    +1
    im 14 live in missiouri and love the rebel flag ther aint nothin wrong with it its not racist if u think im racist because i love the flag ur a dumb a**
  • Kiara 2011/04/11 14:46:23
    Kiara
    +1
    There is nothin wrong with the confederate flag. Some people wear it all the time. And Black do not get bothered by it unless they know what it really means.
  • william... Kiara 2011/06/17 09:53:10
    williams4722
    +2
    damn straight and any body that thinks its racist can go f them selfs
  • Courtney 2011/03/10 07:02:41
    Courtney
    +3
    Actually im mixed and im country and i love the rebel flag...
    theres a difference between black ppl (me) and n*ggers!
    i hate the other kind and ppl are always like oh well your mixed so it dont make since
    i was born and raise in the country and thats how i will be till the day i die.
    im a proud redneck who loves the rebel flag
    and ill proudly display till the day i do also!!!
    so before you start saying stuff you might want to check into thing k thanks :)

*<3REBEL FOR LIFE<3*
  • william... Courtney 2011/06/17 09:54:11
    williams4722
    +1
    hell yea
  • Sean 2011/03/08 15:09:37
    Sean
    +1
    The nickname "stainless" referred to the( pure white) field. The flag act of 1864 did not state what the white symbolized and advocates offered various interpretations. The most common interpretation is that the white field symbolized the (purity) of the Cause. The Confederate Congress debated whether the white field should have a blue stripe and whether it should be bordered in red. William Miles delivered a speech for the simple white design that was eventually approved. He argued that the battle flag must be used, but for a national flag it was necessary to emblazon it, but as simply as possible, with a( plain white field).[7]
  • rebelcountryboy 2011/01/19 01:24:37
    rebelcountryboy
    +4
    To me it means heritage and pride not racism im proud to be a southern boy
  • Kiara rebelco... 2011/04/11 14:48:44
    Kiara
    +3
    that is true. I Love The rebel flag but it does not mean i am racisti
  • Met 2011/01/17 20:35:32
    Met
    +2
    What exactly about the Confederate Battle Flag is racist?

The Civil war was more about Trade Tariffs, and the Northern States having more representatives than the Southern states, and using the Southern export money to finance the Northern industrialization.
    Not about slavery, or racism.

Lincoln didn't free the slaves fighting the Civil War. Congress did so with a 3/4s majority after the fact.
    Stop believing what people tell you, and look it up, until then you can't in good conscience call SOMEONE ELSE ignorant.
  • rebel 2010/09/12 00:38:49
    rebel
    +3
    this flag isn't racist. you need a history lesson.
  • JennDeSimone 2010/08/28 22:17:46
    JennDeSimone
    +2
    Sadly in this country you can take nothing for what it is presented, even the education we receive in school.

I would love to hear the explanation on why this flag would represent racism. I can only assume that is because of the lies surrounding the causes and reasons of the Civil War. And then I would encourage those who believe those lies to go learn the truth.

Secession is a right of the states, the problem is with the federal government recognizing that right. There never should have even been a war. Lincoln made a bad choice in sending supplies to Ft. Sumter, he should have left. He knew he was forcing their hand and did so purposely to start his propaganda campaign that continues to this day. The Confederacy did not withdraw from the union over slavery...that is nothing but a myth. The cause of the war was money, the north wanted the south's money to continue to build their infrastructure and industry. The North was also concerned about the South's growing prosperity and power. The North started stepping all over them, Federal Government got too big and the states wanted to hold true to what the country was founded on. What the Revolutionists fought for.

Look at today with Arizona. They are being sued by the federal government for trying to protect it's citizens wher...

Look at today with Arizona. They are being sued by the federal government for trying to protect it's citizens where the federal government has failed miserably. When things like this go on, it's a short cry to tyranny. And if you want a good example of tyranny, look at what went on in the south during Reconstruction. 85% percent of the southern registered voters were not allowed to vote...thus allowing for a tyrannical government to come in and do whatever they wanted. Or look at the union and their "total war" policy during the civil war. They were the evil ones.
  • desert_eagle 2010/04/08 00:17:02
    desert_eagle
    +1
    omg this discussion is goin no where lol. I'm black and from Colorado and I don't find the Confederate flag offensive in any way. In fact...it's one of the most coolest flags I've seen. Now for the people who look at it as a symbol of hate and racism, why??? If someone is gonna take offense to this flag then they must really be offended by the American flag. enough said.

oh and if i did own one I would display proudly along with my other flags.
  • Courtney desert_... 2011/03/10 07:04:21
    Courtney
    +3
    hell yeah girl same here!
  • william... Courtney 2011/06/17 10:00:12
    williams4722
    +3
    damn straight
  • william... desert_... 2011/06/17 10:00:24
    williams4722
    +3
    damn straight
  • realistic one 2010/03/14 08:13:20
    realistic one
    +1
    The Rebel flag is a disgrace to the United States and is a part of the problem of the past 200 years in this United States of race relations and everything else. Having been born in Kentucky and going to the "old school" I seen first hand the racism that came out of the South on up to Ohio. I saw women marry in to my family and treated with little respect because "blood is thicker than water". Hospitality is one thing from the South. Attitudes are another. They may have changed the laws in the South but the attitudes are still there. That's why I got so sick here of the racism card being used and people calling you racist because I don't think very many people that do that have ever seen real racism. That's the Rebel Flag, among other less "colorful" things it represents.
  • Met realist... 2011/01/31 15:58:36
    Met
    Racism, like slavery before it, is an American Problem. If you think the south is bad about racism, go to New York and look at the structure of any capitalist firm. It may be more underhanded because of the constant camera, and big shot litigators, but it's every bit at present. The problem with saying the Rebel Flag is a disgrace to the USA is, you're making a scape goat for problems that are uniquely American. It may make racist white people feel better if they banish the big bad battle flag, but it doesn't change a damn thing, or even address the problem. What it really does is insult the intelligence of every black American who is smart enough to realize racism is a problem in our country, by blaming it on outdated practices. If the Confederate Battle flag upsets you on account of racism, then the Stars and Stripes of the USA must really piss you off, because it flew over slavery for 86 years, and has had some of the worst instituted racism under it for over 230 years now. Put down the texas history books, and do some research.
  • Courtney realist... 2011/03/10 07:05:29
    Courtney
    +2
    actually its not...im mixed and i love the rebel flag!!! it represents good!

REBEL FOR LIFE*
  • william... realist... 2011/06/17 10:01:45
    williams4722
    +4
    go fu** ur self southern hatin basterd
  • destiny realist... 2011/07/24 21:29:37
    destiny
    +1
    the flag is part of who we are as southerners, not because its racist but because our familys fought what they believed was right. hell yeah there are racist people there but its not represented by the flag. there are racist people everywhere. that flag represents honor and dignity. if you think its jusst racist you need a reality check. i was brn and raised in a small town in georgia and wouldnt have it any other way. honey we have the hospitality and if you get on our bad side we definatly have the attitude, and there is nothing we hate more than ignorant people trying to talk trash about us because of our "racism" and our ways that they just dont understand.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2010/03/01 23:26:41
  • danielle Chris -... 2010/03/22 22:16:30
    danielle
    +2
    that doesnt make it right becasue one black person did it though. " so there" stupid
  • eyeballz 2010/02/27 21:02:04
    eyeballz
    +2
    The confederate flag as a symbol doesn't mean anything to me , but it does remind me of my late brother-in law , his last name was confederath and he always had a rebel flag hanging in the back window of his pickup truck .
  • Shigyrl but outspoken on my... 2010/02/27 13:57:12
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
    I believe this flag represents whatever the people who carry it feel it represents. For some it is for racism and for others it is southern pride. There are people I know here in the North that have no connection to the south yet they have this flag as displayed on their vehicle or in front of their home. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what this flag represents to them. Now do I care about this flag no. I won't lose sleep because someone chooses to wave it with pride or hate.
  • Gr8hope 2010/02/27 04:10:13
    Gr8hope
    +1
    It is only a symbol of the Old South it doesn't bother me. People should not read so much into displaying it, but if others are offended by it, maybe it is best that it be confined to museums.
    I am offended by the sight of liberal politicians, could we confine them somewhere too?
    A good start would be keeping Obama off television.

2014/10/22 04:07:19